Dead by Daylight - Asymmetric slasher game with autistic and entitled community

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First time community thread for a game. Dead by Daylight is a unique case for its community because the title is niche but not niche enough. It's just obscure enough where drama and big game updates aren't covered by the gaming sites. Despite the fact that the game features Leatherface, one of the Saw Killers (since the movies have multiple killers), Michael Myers, and Freddy Kruger (sadly, not based on Robert Englund and instead based on the remake and he doesn't talk either). Plus it's been around for 3 years and is slowly gaining new players with each new Killer/Survivor added to the game.

To focus on all of the drama would make this OP post paragraphs long so I'll sum up some of the note-worthy things:

The game has highly questionable balance which is a thing for the rest of the Slasher games out there like Friday the 13th: the Game. It is universally agreed upon that only 1 or 2 Killers can stand a chance at high levels against an organized group playing Survive With Friends (SWF). The reason why a group playing SWF is so powerful is that these players use mics through Discord to talk to each other even though the game doesn't offer voice chat. The other reason is that games tend to end extremely early because 1 generator can be completed in 80 seconds. There's 4 Survivors. There's 5 generators that need to be completed. Because of this, most survivor players tend to troll the killer.

This is one of the devs getting trolled by a group of Koreans. Shortly after this stream the devs nerfed Flashlights so they can't instantly blind a killer in a fraction of a second.

He's also known for the phrase "Pretty good job so far." Which has become a meme used whenever the devs break something. Such as the last update that destroyed the frame rate on console and PC:

He also told a guy who wrote in complaining about getting trolled as killer and how hard it is to play Killer to "Go play Civ 5."

Time stamp: 30:01

Matthieu issued an apology later but supposedly his remark cost him his position. Ever since this stream the designer of the game, Horvath, has taken a more front and center position in streams and addressing questions and game updates.

In addition:

The Survivor side of the community is notorious for making up rules that they believe all Killers must follow or this leads to endless bitching and moaning from Survivors. Survivor Mains are essentially that kid playing Tag who keeps changing the rules so that they win.

Edit: posting on the social media for the game (namely the official forum or the game's sub-reddit) is like walking on egg shells. The mods for these resources actively censor and ban anyone that disagrees with the narrative promoted by Survivor Mains. The short version of the narrative consists of "Killers should be nerfed, they should never nerf Survivors in any way, Killer players HAVE to play by OUR rules or that makes you toxic. Anything that 'isn't fun' according to them is bad for the game and toxic (as vague as that is)." Attempts at shutting down this bullshit by using such things as logic will most likely end with your account being banned or shadow banned.

Recent drama:

Back in December the devs launched a new killer: The Legion.

The Legion's main power allows them to vault over pallets and windows as quickly as Survivors and slash them. The downside is that it generally takes longer to actually down a single Survivor. The survivor community has been in an uproar and demanded nerfs and feel it justified to ragequit the instant they play a Legion player.

Ragequitting is a big problem but the move to dedicated servers sometime in the summer has been hoped to fix the problem.

Upcoming:

The devs are finally nerfing Decisive Strike. Decisive Strike is the most bullshit thing you will ever see in any multiplayer game you can think of. Think of the most reatarded and obscenely OP thing in any online game and I don't think it will equal Decisive Strike. What Decisive Strike is that it allows a Survivor to a hit a skill check after they've been downed and that allows them to escape the Killer's grasp and stuns the Killer in the process which allows them to gain massive distance. All four Survivors can run this perk as well. So now it's finally getting nerfed, changed into being an ability they can only use after being unhooked and down again up to a minute. Which is still kind of bullshit but at least it can be countered, just leave them on the ground for about a minute.

They're also releasing a new killer that pukes on people and gives them the plague:

Last edited:

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched this game a lot on Twitch when it was in its honeymoon phase and what surprises me the most is that they've only just now nerfed DS (though IIRC it's already been nerfed). Fucking everybody hated that shit within 24 hours of the update.

It's an intriguing concept that was rushed out for E3. I'll always be of the belief that it needed at least another year in development. I don't have any love for BHVR because they're obviously dipshits, but at least they're free from Starbreeze now.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Great concept for a game, terribly executed (no pun intended)
And it's successful. That's what's baffling. There's so many issues and a very common complaint is dealing with assholes in-game especially as Killer. Survivors love tea-bagging, taunting, and doing everything humanly possible to be annoying and get to you. And it's weirdly a win/win for them because it's so easy to rank up as a Survivor. All they need to do is complete a gen or two, un-hook one or two people and bam. You rank up. Or, they deliberately want to de-rank so they can get to the lower ranks and troll newbie Killers that don't have really good perks yet.

It's a vicious circle of reatardation.

I watched this game a lot on Twitch when it was in its honeymoon phase and what surprises me the most is that they've only just now nerfed DS (though IIRC it's already been nerfed). Fucking everybody hated that shit within 24 hours of the update.

It's an intriguing concept that was rushed out for E3. I'll always be of the belief that it needed at least another year in development. I don't have any love for BHVR because they're obviously dipshits, but at least they're free from Starbreeze now.
Everyone and their mother bitched to the devs about DS. There's a theory that Starbreeze made a lot of executive decisions about the game behind the scenes and that's why there's been a push in the last year -since they divorced themselves of Starbreeze- to actually balance the game. And there's been a lot of progress. But even still, they took their sweet-ass time to actually nerf DS.

They also announced a Switch port because they want more cash:

Consider that the game can't even do 30 FPS on the consoles (and that includes the 4K versions of the consoles) and now they want to do a Switch port.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Oh... I should eat a pony.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And it's successful. That's what's baffling. There's so many issues and a very common complaint is dealing with assholes in-game especially as Killer. Survivors love tea-bagging, taunting, and doing everything humanly possible to be annoying and get to you. And it's weirdly a win/win for them because it's so easy to rank up as a Survivor. All they need to do is complete a gen or two, un-hook one or two people and bam. You rank up. Or, they deliberately want to de-rank so they can get to the lower ranks and troll newbie Killers that don't have really good perks yet.

It's a vicious circle of reatardation.

Everyone and their mother bitched to the devs about DS. There's a theory that Starbreeze made a lot of executive decisions about the game behind the scenes and that's why there's been a push in the last year -since they divorced themselves of Starbreeze- to actually balance the game. And there's been a lot of progress. But even still, they took their sweet-ass time to actually nerf DS.

They also announced a Switch port because they want more cash:

Consider that the game can't even do 30 FPS on the consoles (and that includes the 4K versions of the consoles) and now they want to do a Switch port.
That switch port looks worse than a PS2 game

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I enjoy playing the game from time to time. But I usually play as Freddy and he's actually the best tool against survivor assholes, since he's invisible and from what I saw nobody pays attention to "Freddy's song" when you're nearby you can just easily sneak up on the players, put 'em to sleep and quickly down 'em, put 'em on a hook and wait for the other assholes to arrive. Hell, what helps more is his "fired up" perk which makes you faster and gives you more damage anytime those dullards try to fix a generator. Another class that's easy to use and break the game would be the Pig class.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I enjoy playing the game from time to time. But I usually play as Freddy and he's actually the best tool against survivor assholes, since he's invisible and from what I saw nobody pays attention to "Freddy's song" when you're nearby you can just easily sneak up on the players, put 'em to sleep and quickly down 'em, put 'em on a hook and wait for the other assholes to arrive. Hell, what helps more is his "fired up" perk which makes you faster and gives you more damage anytime those dullards try to fix a generator. Another class that's easy to use and break the game would be the Pig class.
Funny because Freddy is considered one of the worst Killers even though I don't think he's too bad. Haunted Ground is really good perk on him because you can get the drop on them when they're unaware and get that hit before they can hopefully make it to a pallet or a window.

The last couple of Killers, sans Legion, have all had perks that fix problems with game design. For example, the Clown has the perk Bamboozle that allows you to vault a window 15% faster and blocks that window for 16 seconds.

Consider that you only have 4 perk slots.

Here's an example of just one bad loop spot:

It's an old as fuck video but the spot has remained mostly unchanged. They blocked off one of those windows upstairs but Survivors can easily drop down and run back up there. The only difference is that the devs """"""""""""""""""""""""fixed""""""""""""""""""""""""" problems like this by making it so that when Survivor's vault a window 3 times in about a minute it gets locked off... Which means you still have to chase them 3 fucking times until the spot is taken away from them. Why not just remove the spot and fix loops like that? Who knows? I guess their solution is to force Killers to use a perk to deal with flaws with their game.

The Plague gets a new gen perk called Corrupt Intervention that locks off the 3 farthest gens for 2 minutes so Survivors can't work on them. So, we get another perk as solution to bad game design. Corrupt Intervention will probably replace Ruin as the default anti-gen perk killers run to slow the game down.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Funny because Freddy considered one of the worst Killers even though I don't think he's too bad. Haunted Ground is really good perk on him because you can get the drop on them when they're unaware and get that hit before they can hopefully make it to a pallet or a window.
I never understood why he was considered the worst, when he can essentially break a match really fast. Hell, you use the right consumables (like having your dream power extended or dragging them into the dream world faster) you get all four players into the dream world and they are essentially fucked, since they cannot wake up each other or when they are awake you can just stake out near a hooked survivor and drag 'em in to the dream world and they again are boned. The only other one who was more OP was the Pig and that's cause once you down a survivor and put the trap on their head, it activates because some idiot just repaired the generator.

Agent Nahman Jayden

Acts like he's from space
kiwifarms.net
Yeah well, the devs think killer camping is a viable strategy too so that just confirms their idiocy.

The game is at its funnest when you don't worry about the ranking system or the meta and just hop in with some friends and fuck around. Do gens, don't do gens, compete to see who can be chased by the killer the longest, open all the chests, etc. Sometimes the killer catches on and we can not play the game like how it was intended and just fuck around and have fun. If I play a killer (Wraith main over here), I just hit and run, keep track of who I've hooked so I don't hook them too many times, destroy gens and just be a pain in the ass but it's never about killing for me; I just like the hunt. You can tell how the devs feel about that because there's an in-game report option for "working with the killer/farming for points".

Both sides of the game are just sooo fuckin' whiny; they both act like entitled assholes about everything. Survivors want to win without having to encounter a killer. Killers bitch that survivors are OP as they sit on their perks of Tier III Ruin, BBQ and Chili, Make Your Choice and some fourth perk (or a combo equally as broken). Survivors complain about DS, killers complain that every single killer is underpowered. It'd be different if the ranking system actually meant something but it doesn't; I'm generally a mid-tier killer and I get high-rank survivors all the time because it's so much easier for survivors to gain rank.

I dunno. I play occasionally as long as I have friends to play with and we aren't playing with the explicit intention of being... what, a top 3% DbD player? What does that even mean? There's no esport for it, it doesn't MEAN anything.

Also lol new killer's an Anti-Vaxxer.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never understood why he was considered the worst, when he can essentially break a match really fast. Hell, you use the right consumables (like having your dream power extended or dragging them into the dream world faster) you get all four players into the dream world and they are essentially fucked, since they cannot wake up each other or when they are awake you can just stake out near a hooked survivor and drag 'em in to the dream world and they again are boned. The only other one who was more OP was the Pig and that's cause once you down a survivor and put the trap on their head, it activates because some idiot just repaired the generator.
He's considered the worst since the devs nerfed him because rank 20 survivors all cried about him and said he wasn't fun to play against. This isn't a joke. This actually happened. So, the devs made it so healing perks can allows survivors to break out of dream world, Adrenaline does the same thing, as does Unbreakable (because reasons), and also if survivors not in dream world heal a downed survivor, Freddy can't pick them up. Instead, Freddy has to tag the survivor(s) healing the guy, wait until they get into dream world, and hopefully hit them and stop them from picking up the guy who got downed because if they do the guy gets out of dream world and you have to repeat the process all over again.

BTW: Devs mentioned doing a Freddy re-work due in winter. It is now practically Spring and they've been avoiding the topic.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Hm, well that explains some stuff since I did wonder why when they heal they are suddenly woken up. Though I'd usually go after the idiot who holds a medical kit while others end up easy pickings, I will say it does become fun when you take down some guys and later have 'em either insult you in the chat or on your steam page. Hell, one time I pissed off some twitch streamer who got angry that I made him look bad infront of his audience. I will say, that I hate the rank system and it always seemed like it's made for assholes to show off how big their dicks are.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
An issue with Decisive Strike is that it's a Laurie Strode perk, and I understand they need to jump through extra hoops to change things on licensed characters.

Freddy's a feast-or-famine killer in my experience- if he gets a quick enough start, he can snowball insanely fast, but if he starts falling behind on hooks when gens start popping then the nature of the dream transition has him keep getting farther and farther behind; I think that's why all his perks are about shoring up the end game. It also makes it harder for him to protect totems (so Ruin and NoED are harder to keep up) meaning that he can't react as fast as other killers. It's an interesting gimmick, but it's (IMO) obnoxious to play, both with and against.

Trolling survivors are a pain in the ass, but turning the tables on them is the most cathartic experience in the game. I ran up against four Claudette SWF group- when I was running Myers with Fragrant Tuft of Hair, Yearbook Page, and Tinkerer (back when it boosted power charge speeds.) Hook bombing is a terrible idea under those circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
An issue with Decisive Strike is that it's a Laurie Strode perk, and I understand they need to jump through extra hoops to change things on licensed characters.
Not really. In the last update they made some minor buffs to the Pig (Saw Killer) that were pretty welcomed by the community. And also buffed the shit out of her previously useless perks Surveillance. Now Surveillance is considered one of the best perks in the game because it allows you to keep an eye on gens that are regressing and where Survivors are.

My theory is that they dragged their feet for so long because it was a perk tied to Laurie who cannot be bought with Shards. So, it's kind of pay 2 win. So, if they nerfed the shit out of it or removed it from the game they'd deal with angry people who bought Laurie for DS. Of course, Survivors get angry over any and everything so it's a mute point.

Trolling survivors are a pain in the ass, but turning the tables on them is the most cathartic experience in the game. I ran up against four Claudette SWF group- when I was running Myers with Fragrant Tuft of Hair, Yearbook Page, and Tinkerer (back when it boosted power charge speeds.) Hook bombing is a terrible idea under those circumstances.
I feel like only a handful of killers can troll them back. Not unless they massively fuck up like in the situation you described.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
I feel like only a handful of killers can troll them back. Not unless they massively fuck up like in the situation you described.
True; I got lucky by going in loaded for bear, and that's what you need to do to counter SWF effectively. Death God Nurse is the only thing I can think of that's good against all survivors, but that's because a sufficiently skilled Nurse is strong enough to beat anything other than dedicated counterplay.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
True; I got lucky by going in loaded for bear, and that's what you need to do to counter SWF effectively. Death God Nurse is the only thing I can think of that's good against all survivors, but that's because a sufficiently skilled Nurse is strong enough to beat anything other than dedicated counterplay.
Legion with a Mori, either an Ivory or Ebony, is very good too. Watch them all ragequit the instant they see you're using Legion.

Hillbilly is good but unlike Nurse and Legion he can still get looped. Sadly.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I will say, the Japanese Ghost girl and the Hag also can be really interesting to use if you set up choke points near generators or hooked up survivors with the Hags symbols ability.

• Agree
Reactions: Agent Nahman Jayden

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I will say, the Japanese Ghost girl and the Hag also can be really interesting to use if you set up choke points near generators or hooked up survivors with the Hags symbols ability.
The ghost girl is pretty good but difficult to use. You can find weird builds that work really well with her like Discordance + Surveillance and grab them off gens.

Hag is okay but the problem is that an SWF group or very alturistic players can fuck everything up for her when in a chase a guy could run around intentionally setting off your traps which can fuck you up and let you think the guy you're chasing set off one of the traps or you finally down someone but all of your traps at key spots are gone.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino