Dead by Daylight - Asymmetric slasher game with autistic and entitled community

Tism the Return

tfw you understand all the Rick and Morty jokes
kiwifarms.net
If MOBAs hadn't toughened me up, this 'community' would have sent me reeling from the game. The really terrible matchmaking doesn't help - I've literally been in matches as a Rank 14 Killer with all red rank survivors. I don't know if the system is just that bad, or if there are so few killers that the matchmaking just can't bracket it in well. Though survivors at all ranks are basically the most aggro kind of toxic cancer regardless.

I had a game, for example, where a SWF group was clowning me - but I managed to get one down as they opened the gates. I sat on her in the basement, and her entire team hook rushed the basement (bad idea when I'm Bubba) and promptly DC'd. "No kills for a camper!" they screamed, and "Why did you just camp in the basement?" as if I'm supposed to just let them escape?

Literally

Oh, and of course they called me a trash faggot and wished that I would die of cancer and AIDs in the post chat as well.
I assure you the only reason the Dead by Daylight community doesn't seem as bad as the MOBA one is because DbD doesn't let the survivors scream like frothing at mouth exceptional individuals on mic.

JohnDoe

Did Santa finally bring me some good posts?!
kiwifarms.net
I assure you the only reason the Dead by Daylight community doesn't seem as bad as the MOBA one is because DbD doesn't let the survivors scream like frothing at mouth exceptional individuals on mic.
The absence of mic or text chat does cut down some of the terrible toxic nature of things, but restricting it to after game chat is hardly an improvement.

At least most MOBA games have decent matchmaking - last Killer game I, a level 15, faced Rank 2, 5, 6 and Rank 11 survivors. It was a miserable carousel of D-strikes, Borrowed Times and teabagging. They were a voice chat using SWF with military precision in their body blocking and rotations, combined with purple items. If they can't find a way to correct these matchups and get fairer games they'll get less and less Killers playing, starting a spiral that destroys the playbase.

Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has the DbD community even compared themselves to the DOTA 2 or Rainbow6 Siege communities, stating that they "at least aren't as toxic as those communities"?
On the Reddit and their forums they compare their community to DOTA mostly. That and they just hand wave it away saying shit like "If you can't handle someone crouching a few times then play something else." Of course, you can throw it right back at the faggot and say "If you can't handle a killer staying at a hook or using mori's then play something else."

The absence of mic or text chat does cut down some of the terrible toxic nature of things, but restricting it to after game chat is hardly an improvement.
The devs want to introduce voice chat. No idea if it's proximity or not (if it is then it won't do anything because SWF players will continue to use Discord) and no idea if the killer would be able to hear them. That would be a joy being repeatedly called a nigger faggot as you mori someone or dare to use a top tier killer with good add-ons. They've stated that they want to do this because of solo players. They've been very quiet about secondary objectives or anything to slow the game down outside of just adding more perks (that you have to pay for with real money) to achieve this.

They did one stealth change to the post-game chat in that when you click the arrow next to the text box to hide the chat, it now stays hidden next time you boot up the game. I just turn it off and wish you could disable getting invites for a specific game because I don't think I've ever befriended anyone in this game. Contrary to Friday the 13th: the Game and other online games I've played.

• Informative
Reactions: Thiletonomics

Jeb-sama

slow and steady
kiwifarms.net
So I tried out the Memeogorgon. He's my summary

1. Thankfully he's not the trainwreck I thought he was going to be. His leap is way faster than hillbilly chainsaw in both charging and travel speed (also has a bigger hit radius). Similar to huntress you can also use it to bait survivors into doing stupid shit (EG not taking the vault they were running to, or making them start running around like crazy trying to dodge the potential leap)
2. portals are alright. On average I don't teleport much per match, but they allow you to see survivors that are near them when you hold his power down (same indicator as legion frenzy)
3. he makes a grumbling noise when he vaults something, which means survivors know you're vaulting even if they can't see you or your red stain
4. he roars loudly whenever he hits someone. it gets really annoying after a while
5. probably has the highest skill ceiling for the M1 killers. you can pull off some phenomenal shit with leap if you bait correctly

the new map is great looking, but it has some big faults. It has worse visibility than lery's, so you usually don't see which direction the killer is coming until he's really close. It also has some of the strongest loops in the game by far (the big catwalk one is pure headache).

big fan of surge also. even though it's only 50% the strength of weasel, it saves a lot of time and can hit multiple gens if you're lucky

Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It looks like the Stranger Things DLC will launch either on the 17th or 24th too. It might coincide with a double BP event.

Reactions: Rana

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dedicated Servers are on hold until sometime in the Fall.

A little under a year ago, we announced that we would be bringing dedicated servers to Dead by Daylight in Summer 2019. Since then, our team has been hard at work converting the game from the existing peer to peer system. There has been a lot of discussion surrounding dedicated servers recently, so we would like to address questions or concerns you may have in this post.

RELEASE TIMEFRAME
We have recently tested dedicated servers during the 3.2.0 PTB. After a few rounds of changes, we already could see drastic improvements on average ping which translated into better general feedback. From the survey results and community feedback, we identified two main issues that were putting the release at risk:

Projectile interaction (The Huntress, The Plague)

• Delay on throw
  • Hit registration
Interaction bugs

• Some instances of missed attacks
  • Multiple hits on one action (i.e.: The Huntress hatchets hitting multiple survivors)
  • Trapper placing 2 traps instead of 1
  • Infinite blinds
  • Delays on interaction with objects
After reviewing the feedback collected and making several changes, we have decided that it is best to push back the planned release. Our new goal is to release dedicated servers on all platforms during Fall 2019. We know this delay is disappointing, but we feel it’s best to take the additional time to polish the experience and iron out a few issues.

NEXT STEPS
  1. Projectile interaction improvement
  2. Interactions: bug fixing
  3. Steam live tests
We will communicate about our mid-term plan as we get closer to the Steam live test in October. With the fixes of our two main issues, we will be ready to test on the live environment right away. Testing on the live environment will allow us to gather more feedback and data. To streamline the process, the tests will be exclusively on PC. These testing phases will be communicated thoroughly and can be reverted if needed.

SERVER LOCATIONS
We have settled on the following locations for servers when we initially launch dedicated servers:

• Asia: Singapore
  • Asia: Tokyo
  • Australia: Sydney
  • Europe: Frankfurt
  • Europe: London
  • South America: Sao Paulo
  • North America: North Virginia
  • North America: Oregon
  • Periodically enabling additional regions to test the impact on match quality
We believe that these locations should provide optimal coverage for most regions. If none of these locations are near you, you will still be able to play the game and have the same experience as before.

WHAT TO EXPECT ON RELEASE
Although expectations are high, we do need to reiterate that this is the first step of many. Dedicated servers open many new possibilities that were previously impossible through our old system. Though there will be some immediate benefits, other new features will take time to implement.

This initial release of dedicated servers focuses on infrastructure; we want to make sure that the foundation is solid before we can expand with new features. By connecting to the nearest data center, your connection will be more consistent from one match to another, and generally more stable than connecting directly to other players. Since all players are connected to a server rather than each other, we will be able to better identify disconnections, allowing us to be stricter on users who disconnect excessively. As a Survivor, your movement and interactions will be based on the server rather than the Killer, reducing some instances of jittering and delay when the Killer has a weak connection. For example, camera jittering while using Dead Hard, or a delay while trying to unhook another Survivor.

THE FUTURE FOR DEDICATED SERVERS
With the groundwork set, we will be able to take full advantage of dedicated servers with new features and changes behind the scenes. One such feature we would like to implement following the release of dedicated servers is the previously mentioned disconnection handling system. We would also like to expand on hit authority (i.e. who gets the final say when a player has a poor connection), which would allow us to make finer adjustments to ensure that hits feel as fair as possible. We cannot provide an ETA at this time for when these changes will go live, but as always, we will be sure to keep you posted once we have more info to share.

Although migrating to dedicated servers is a large task, we are confident that the benefits they will provide will improve the game in both the short and long term. We will keep you updated on our progress as soon as we have new information to share, and we look forward to getting servers into your hands as soon as possible.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is this game still a depressed misery due to survivor mains wanting to 1v1 4k the killer
Yes.

or did they ever balance it and remove infinite loops?
Uhm, kind of sort of. Infinites aren't as common but still exist. Only options are:

1: use Nurse or another killer like Freddy or Spirit to counter loops.

or

2: put Bamboozle on your killer and hope and pray you don't get Haddonfield or Disturbed Ward.

Edit: supposedly Haddonfield is next on the list of maps that will be "fixed" which could happen whenever. Perhaps in the mid-chapter patch happening sometime in October?

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
By fixed you mean buffed for survivors, let's be honest.
It would be impressive if they made Haddonfield even worse than it already is but it's totally possible that Behavior could fuck up that bad. The biggest problem with the map is the windows leading outside houses and I honestly just don't see them addressing this fundamental problem.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The big thing to fix with that map is either (A) remove all the fucking windows inside houses. Which I don't see them doing because there's gens inside houses and that would create a deadzone.* Plus their map guy is obsessed with adding window loops everywhere. Or (B) eliminate most of the windows inside houses, limit it to 1 per house, and finally adjust how long survivors are paused when dropping down 2 stories. Perhaps they shouldn't pause for half a second after jumping 2 stories? Because I don't know about anyone else but if I drop down 2 stories I fully expect to pause half a second and then continue running at normal pace. Which means they would have to adjust how long survivors are fatigued/paused/whatever after dropping specifically from 2 stories and that would affect other maps with similar drops. Of course, a Survivor can just run Balanced Landing so they can still escape for free.

On the plus side they fixed the basement loop in the Springwood map which is the same kind of loop in Haddonfield. And by "fix" I mean they made it less annoying.

A lot of fixes could be easily made to the game and the cancer maps by applying common sense solutions but Behavior refuses to do that. They instead go for some convoluted alternative to fix something while still making sure survivor babies have every chance in the world. Because god forbid survivors get challenged in any way.

*Of course, they could just change the gen spawns so they don't spawn inside houses and it would still be fair. But like I mentioned, these developers refuse to engage in common sense and easy solutions to a problem. Just look at the End Game Collapse. All they had to do is give killers the ability to close the hatch and grab a survivor when using the hatch during the recovery animation after an attack. Done. Problem solved. But no, instead there's a timer, the entity does a thing now, there's this brand new effect to the ground and sound effects and shit and let's take away the ability to grab them when exiting through the hatch.

Last edited:

Capsaicin Addict

When burning it to the ground is the best option.
kiwifarms.net
Thoughts on how Project REsistance (the upcoming 4v1 game set in the Resident Evil universe) might impact DbD?

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thoughts on how Project REsistance (the upcoming 4v1 game set in the Resident Evil universe) might impact DbD?
It all depends on the reception. The big thing with the rest of the games in this genre is that they were developed by indies and always fuck something up. The other big thing Capcom can't fuck up on is not giving players the option of always getting into a room and being able to play as the killer. DbD is the only title that allows you to play killer whenever you want to.

Otherwise it's a coin flip. RE spinoffs never fare well but that could change.

Last edited:

The Fresno Nightcrawler

oh god im so wide
kiwifarms.net
the dead by daylight twitter account started following stephen king. a lot of people think this may be hinting towards a king-related killer. pennywise seems like the obvious choice, as he’s the horror flavor of the month, but im hoping for jack torrance, maybe with an overlook hotel map.

Attachments

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Damn you, I was just about to post that. Pennywise seems like the most obvious choice. An Overlook map would be cool but Jack Torrance would be kind of blase' when it comes to killers. With Pennywise they have some leeway and can incorporate the balloons. I doubt they would license from the recent movies. They could license the character specifically from the book but it would have to look different from both the TV movie and the theatrical movies because of legal bullshit the respective studios own the likeness of Pennywise from their material. Same thing happened with HBO and Tales From the Crypt when word of a reboot was going around (and was cancelled) that HBO owned that specific look of the Cryptkeeper.

It would be cool but fuck, I just want a semi-balanced game. The day where you're not forced to use Nurse or maybe Spirit and not forced to run Ruin/Corrupt Intervention/Pop Goes the Weasel against SWF is the day I would consider the game semi-balanced.

The Fresno Nightcrawler

oh god im so wide
kiwifarms.net
An Overlook map would be cool but Jack Torrance would be kind of blase' when it comes to killers. With Pennywise they have some leeway and can incorporate the balloons.
yeah, i know that he'd be somewhat out of place, but i think that would only make him stand out more. you've got all these mangled monsters, then you've got a relatively normal looking guy. i imagine they'd make him hobble around like jack nicholson does in the film, give him some teachables based around him getting progressively more and more pissed, maybe even give him a power that lets him destroy walls or something. pennywise would definitely be much easier to balance and design though.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yeah, i know that he'd be somewhat out of place, but i think that would only make him stand out more. you've got all these mangled monsters, then you've got a relatively normal looking guy. i imagine they'd make him hobble around like jack nicholson does in the film, give him some teachables based around him getting progressively more and more pissed, maybe even give him a power that lets him destroy walls or something. pennywise would definitely be much easier to balance and design though.
I think you could pull off a normal-ish looking guy in this game. I think they could easily do Hannibal Lecter or even Patrick Bateman. Problem with Jack is that visually he wouldn't stand out that much. With Lecter you could put him in a jump suit with the face mask and instantly recognize him. Bateman in a pristine suite with a pristine knife or ax or drill or maybe a blood-covered rain poncho and most people would instantly recognize the character. Jack Torrence without Nicholson's likeness? I doubt it. And I doubt they could afford Nicholson's fee because, you know, it's fucking Nicholson. He's a fucking Hollywood legend and I doubt he'd be cheap. I love Bruce Campbell but he'd be the first to admit he's a B actor.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Update is out. Supposedly there might be an issue in Freddy's favor where he doesn't activate Borrowed Time 😂 . And Demogorgon is getting a nice little buff soon.

Content from the UPCOMING HOTFIX PATCH 3.2.1

These changes aren't live yet.

BALANCE
  • Demogorgon now Break pallets with a Pounce attack by default.
  • Perk Surge now grants the Destruction score event for each affected generator.
  • Perk Second Wind will now display the progress towards activating the perk.
We'll wait and see if the crybaby survivors get their way yet again and Demo gets nerfed into the dirt. Supposedly, a double BP event is happening September 26th through 30th.

Update: the new DLC introduces a game crashing bug whenever you use the Dying Light perk which was recently re-worked. I had multiple matches with Dying Light. It crashed every time randomly once I hooked someone. I tried a match without Dying Light and it was fine.

Last edited:

Jeb-sama

slow and steady
kiwifarms.net
Wish they'd stop adding characters for 5 minutes and make a new game mode or something. Even though Hide or Die failed, I think DBD could pull off a Last Man Standing style mode pretty well.

>20 or more survivors FFA
>shrinking map
>more chests around with firecrackers, flashlights and perkless pebbles, etc
>no healing allowed and no hooks. Maybe healing only permitted from medkits found in chests
>2 m1's to kill a survivor. Chainsaws or exposed m1's for instakills
>survivors get chosen to be the killer at random and will have a few seconds to pick which one they wanna spawn as

Might be lit.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino