Dead by Daylight - Asymmetric slasher game with autistic and entitled community.

How long until the devs nerf Pyramid Head?

• By end of PTB

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 3 weeks after the release goes live

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 3-6 months like Legion

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • He'll remain the same or possibly get buffs and be accused of being Pay 2 Win

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They updated the matchmaking. https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en...now-deployed-on-the-live-environment/p1?new=1

Mostly for the worst.

1: you tend to get players with extremely high ping now. Most of my matches today have been with Europeans or Asians and 200 ping used to be fine for me. But ever since their engine "update" 200 ping people now skip frames really badly for me.

2: as Killer you can no longer easily tell if you've been matched with an SWF group or not. The tell was if a group of 3 or more joined all at once. Now the matchmaking joins 4 people at once much more often. Now, if you want to avoid an SWF group you have to look through their profiles and their friend's list or go off instinct if they're not being obvious about it (such as using troll names in unison).

Why Behavior refuses to let Killer's know if they're playing against a group or not is anyone's guess.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Why Behavior refuses to let Killer's know if they're playing against a group or not is anyone's guess.
My theory would be is those people later getting pissy of how the killer "knows" who they are up against. Thus meaning they cannot be aholes and pimp themselves on Twitch/Youtube vids.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My theory would be is those people later getting pissy of how the killer "knows" who they are up against. Thus meaning they cannot be aholes and pimp themselves on Twitch/Youtube vids.
That and the devs know that most killer players would dodge the lobby. Either that or bring out the Mori's.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
I really like the idea of the game, but I've never gotten it because it looks like one of those games where it's completely trash with randos and I don't know anyone who plays.

Big ole :informative: to the thread though, I find out amusing and I'm surprised the games so popular and toxic on the survivor side.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
I really like the idea of the game, but I've never gotten it because it looks like one of those games where it's completely trash with randos and I don't know anyone who plays.

Big ole :informative: to the thread though, I find out amusing and I'm surprised the games so popular and toxic on the survivor side.
Any competitive game is going to have it's fair share of "Dear devs, Rock is OP, plz nerf. Paper is fine. -Love, Scissors." The thing that makes DBD exceptional is that the devs have been known to listen on occasion, making for really erratic balance shifts and occasional flat-out broken shit. It's a fun game as long as one can avoid taking it too seriously.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Any competitive game is going to have it's fair share of "Dear devs, Rock is OP, plz nerf. Paper is fine. -Love, Scissors." The thing that makes DBD exceptional is that the devs have been known to listen on occasion, making for really erratic balance shifts and occasional flat-out broken shit. It's a fun game as long as one can avoid taking it too seriously.
The real problem with the game is that the devs have taken the philosophy of balancing from the bottom up rather than from the top down. What they want to do is make it as easy as possible for bad players to win. This is why Survivors have so many 2nd chance abilities. Unless you play killer than fuck you, you don't get 2nd chances like Survivors do. Just recently with the Legion update the devs buffed Borrowed Time yet again. Borrowed Time is a perk where if a guy rescues someone on hook, that guy who got rescued has one hit of armor where the Killer can't just down them again (when someone is un-hooked they're injured and can be downed again with one more hit). Originally Borrowed Time gave both the rescuer and the guy who got un-hooked armor and it lasted about a minute. But at least it was a one-time use ability. Then the devs lowered the amount of time that they had armor. Then they made it so the guy who got un-hooked was the only one who had armor BUT made Borrowed Time no longer one-time use. Meaning that idiots could hook rush whenever they wanted and their friend would get away. Then they buffed it again with Legion and gave Borrowed Time Deep Wound status which meant that if the guy who got un-hooked got away they no longer needed Self Care to heal up and if the Killer hits them and chases them there's a meter ticking down that doesn't go away if the Killer is in a chase with them.

TLDR: Borrowed Time rewards fucktards who hook rush. And fucktards can equip Borrowed Time with Deliverance for a 100% guaranteed way to jump off the hook... So long as the Killer doesn't camp them.

That's just one thing too. Don't even get me started on the Hatch which is the ultimate reward for scrubs and something that actually punishes Killers for doing their job.

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
The real problem with the game is that the devs have taken the philosophy of balancing from the bottom up rather than from the top down. What they want to do is make it as easy as possible for bad players to win. This is why Survivors have so many 2nd chance abilities. [Borrowed time stuff snipped.]

That's just one thing too. Don't even get me started on the Hatch which is the ultimate reward for scrubs and something that actually punishes Killers for doing their job.
I think the devs' big mistake here is using the ranking system as a proxy for skill, even though rank resets every month. They know that most players are concentrated at low ranks, so they think that most players are low skill, when that's just not the case; some people know the game well but only play sporadically, some people actively game the system, and so on. So you can get big mismatches between rank and skill (and the matchmaking system isn't good enough to avoid big mismatches even in nominal rank) which makes for an unfun experience. If they did something to prorate rank by something like lifetime BP earned, or total hours played, I think they could get a matchmaking system that much more accurately represents how well players understand the game.

I don't actually mind the hatch- it prevents a bad start for the survivors from turning unwinnable in the first sixty seconds (failure to load in, or worse, early DC can screw survivor side hard.) I do agree that it should be harder to use than "press X to not die," though- maybe some kind of interaction bar, or the killer can close it if he finds it first, or something.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the devs' big mistake here is using the ranking system as a proxy for skill, even though rank resets every month. They know that most players are concentrated at low ranks, so they think that most players are low skill, when that's just not the case; some people know the game well but only play sporadically, some people actively game the system, and so on. So you can get big mismatches between rank and skill (and the matchmaking system isn't good enough to avoid big mismatches even in nominal rank) which makes for an unfun experience. If they did something to prorate rank by something like lifetime BP earned, or total hours played, I think they could get a matchmaking system that much more accurately represents how well players understand the game.

I don't actually mind the hatch- it prevents a bad start for the survivors from turning unwinnable in the first sixty seconds (failure to load in, or worse, early DC can screw survivor side hard.) I do agree that it should be harder to use than "press X to not die," though- maybe some kind of interaction bar, or the killer can close it if he finds it first, or something.
There's so many mistakes and I and many, many others could write autistic essays chronicling every big mistake. Such as there no being no reward to ranking up other than getting an achievement and being matched to more SWF Groups as Killer.

I preferred it when we could close the hatch. It was tested in their first PTB and it was completely fair; if the killer found the hatch first they could close it and the last survivor had to complete a gen to open it. Done. No more hatch stand offs. No more needing to slug the 3rd guy and go hunting for the 4th which is boring for the guy who got slugged and tedious for the killer (not to mention that the 3rd guy will often disconnect so the 4th guy will get the hatch anyway). But that was vehemently rejected by the survivor community. The devs proposed completely changing the end game... Last year. We're still waiting for this proposed new end game.

That's a recurring thing; a lot of issues could be easily fixed but the devs don't want to do it due to the survivor community ree'ing.

Hatch stand offs: let the killer just close the hatch. Survivor community rees.

Gens get done too quickly and killers need Ruin just to slow the game down: add more time to complete gens or make survivors complete 6 gens instead of 5. Survivor community rees.

SWF with mics completely breaks the game: remove SWF and if people want to play with their friends they can play Kill Your Friends. Survivor community rees.

It just keeps going.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
The real problem with the game is that the devs have taken the philosophy of balancing from the bottom up rather than from the top down. What they want to do is make it as easy as possible for bad players to win. This is why Survivors have so many 2nd chance abilities. Unless you play killer than fuck you, you don't get 2nd chances like Survivors do. Just recently with the Legion update the devs buffed Borrowed Time yet again. Borrowed Time is a perk where if a guy rescues someone on hook, that guy who got rescued has one hit of armor where the Killer can't just down them again (when someone is un-hooked they're injured and can be downed again with one more hit). Originally Borrowed Time gave both the rescuer and the guy who got un-hooked armor and it lasted about a minute. But at least it was a one-time use ability. Then the devs lowered the amount of time that they had armor. Then they made it so the guy who got un-hooked was the only one who had armor BUT made Borrowed Time no longer one-time use. Meaning that idiots could hook rush whenever they wanted and their friend would get away. Then they buffed it again with Legion and gave Borrowed Time Deep Wound status which meant that if the guy who got un-hooked got away they no longer needed Self Care to heal up and if the Killer hits them and chases them there's a meter ticking down that doesn't go away if the Killer is in a chase with them.

TLDR: Borrowed Time rewards fucktards who hook rush. And fucktards can equip Borrowed Time with Deliverance for a 100% guaranteed way to jump off the hook... So long as the Killer doesn't camp them.

I am weirdly reminded of similar issues that have plagued Left 4 Dead and L4D2 in versus mode. Vanilla versus tends to heavily weight towards survivors unless someone does something pants-on-head exceptional (lingering in a charger-bait area, for example). And a smart survivor team can bulldoze their way through a level, hauling ass while the infected team waits to respawn.

There are modded servers which buff infected health and give them more options to fuck up survivors (steering your rush as a charger, jumping with a survivor as a jockey) but alas, Valve seems uninterested in any kind of official fixes.

Asymmetric PvP games are neat, but they really need more balancing in the long run.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am weirdly reminded of similar issues that have plagued Left 4 Dead and L4D2 in versus mode. Vanilla versus tends to heavily weight towards survivors unless someone does something pants-on-head exceptional (lingering in a charger-bait area, for example). And a smart survivor team can bulldoze their way through a level, hauling ass while the infected team waits to respawn.

There are modded servers which buff infected health and give them more options to fuck up survivors (steering your rush as a charger, jumping with a survivor as a jockey) but alas, Valve seems uninterested in any kind of official fixes.

Asymmetric PvP games are neat, but they really need more balancing in the long run.
I think L4D is the best of all of the multiplayer creature VS people kind of game. Whatever the genre is officially named because it was first attempted way back when in 1999 with Rebellion's Aliens VS Predator on PC (now known as AVP Classic 2000 on Steam). And that had balance issues as well. The first L4D's Versus mode was more in favor of the Survivors than Infected and L4D 2 was much more in favor of the Infected. It's a difficult balancing act but just handing out 2nd chance abilities like they're candy to Survivors doesn't do it any favors in DbD's case.

The truly sad thing is that DbD is the only successful Asymmetric slasher game. Every single game was developed by an indie developer and has the had the same fucking issues with balance and glitches. The only ones I can think of that don't have these problems are White Noise 2 (but it has a very low player base) and Unfortunate Spacemen (which is a take off of The Thing but also has an extremely low player base):

• Informative

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rumors are floating that the new killer is out tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/1106398192512327680?s=19

I have enough Blood Points and Shards and all that to grab her, dump points to unlock Corrupt Intervention (thank god it's a level 30 unlockable) and just get that perk on all of my killers I main ASAP. The new killer looks kind of fun but I personally won't be using her that much.

There's also been a rumor that part of Behavior's divorce from Starbreeze had a stipulation that the next 4 killers added to the game couldn't be licensed. Who knows if this is true or not but who knows with Starbreeze? We might be expecting another killer shortly after the Plague drops which happened before when Leatherface was added a month before Freddy.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
New killer is out. Matchmaking is still fucked. The devs fucked up and accidentally revealed that Ash from the Evil Dead is the next Survivor.

https://imgur.com/a/R4BVsk8

I'm not too hype about this because -knowing Behavior- they're not going to pay the likeness rights so the character is not going to look like Bruce Campbell and definitely won't have any legendary one-liners to go with him. In addition, the perks exclusive to him seem obscenely overpowered.

Mettle of Man gives them a hit of armor after being hit 3 times. BFD if the Killer can see you for a couple of seconds because said Survivor can just be at a loop or pallet land spot and you have to deal with it.

Flip Flop looks like a hard counter to slugging which was already not very good because the longer the Survivors stay downed the easier it is to pick them back up. Not to mention that they already have a counter to slugging and it's called Unbreakable.

Hopefully these perks are work-in-progress but I somehow doubt it. I wonder which Deadite we might be getting? But I guarantee you that the fucktards online will defend Behavior's decision to not pay the likeness rights and will say shit like "I don't notice a difference. It looks the same to me." Which they collectively did say when Freddy came out.

Because clearly, they look exactly alike:

It should be noted that the majority of players for Dead by Daylight aren't horror fans.

Last edited:

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I dunno, I could see 'em easily getting Bruce Campbell on board for this, doubt the guy would ask for more cash. As for Freddy, wasn't there a whole issue they were only given the reboot version because the studio didn't wanna give 'em the OG version for some dumb reason. Quiet frankly, I'm kinda waiting to see at what point will they get say the Ghost Face killer from Scream or The HookMan from I know what you did last summer. Also would be nice to see the Creeper from JeepersCreepers

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dunno, I could see 'em easily getting Bruce Campbell on board for this, doubt the guy would ask for more cash. As for Freddy, wasn't there a whole issue they were only given the reboot version because the studio didn't wanna give 'em the OG version for some dumb reason. Quiet frankly, I'm kinda waiting to see at what point will they get say the Ghost Face killer from Scream or The HookMan from I know what you did last summer. Also would be nice to see the Creeper from JeepersCreepers
I dunno. I just don't see them paying Bruce the shekels he wants. As for Freddy no one really knows for sure but it just seems like they Jewed out and didn't want to pay Robert Englund.

There's rumors that Legion was supposedly the Scream killer until they were changed to be an OC. One of the community manager's have said they're not interested in the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers because the character was created by a pedophile and any money they give for the license would be lining the pedo's pockets.

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
I dunno. I just don't see them paying Bruce the shekels he wants. As for Freddy no one really knows for sure but it just seems like they Jewed out and didn't want to pay Robert Englund.

There's rumors that Legion was supposedly the Scream killer until they were changed to be an OC. One of the community manager's have said they're not interested in the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers because the character was created by a pedophile and any money they give for the license would be lining the pedo's pockets.
Wait, does Rober Englund hold the writes to Freedy's look or does the studio? 'Cause if it's the latter I can see how they would demand a bigger price and the creators had to pick the Michael Bay version instead, since ti was probably cheaper as the movie tanked. With Bruce, it'll kinda depend what price the guy announces, I doubt it'll be crazy like some of those bastards did when they made the Friday the 13th game.

Oh yeah, I did forget that whole pedo thing, though even if that didn't happen I could see the Creeper being a rather broken killer to play if they were to use some of his tricks. Hm, interesting I don't see much of Ghost Face in Legion, but who knows I kinda always imagined that his special move would be to call a random survivor on their phone and this expose 'em for a short amount of time, with the perk probably getting called "Do you like scary movies?"

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, does Rober Englund hold the writes to Freedy's look or does the studio? 'Cause if it's the latter I can see how they would demand a bigger price and the creators had to pick the Michael Bay version instead, since ti was probably cheaper as the movie tanked. With Bruce, it'll kinda depend what price the guy announces, I doubt it'll be crazy like some of those bastards did when they made the Friday the 13th game.
He owns the likeness rights. So, if so and so wants to make a Freddy toy based on his Freddy from one of the movies they have to pay him.

Oh yeah, I did forget that whole pedo thing, though even if that didn't happen I could see the Creeper being a rather broken killer to play if they were to use some of his tricks. Hm, interesting I don't see much of Ghost Face in Legion, but who knows I kinda always imagined that his special move would be to call a random survivor on their phone and this expose 'em for a short amount of time, with the perk probably getting called "Do you like scary movies?"
It's purely a rumor. But it's based on the fact that Legion has multiple killers just like the Scream killer, they have a cloth mask that could have originally been the Ghostface mask, and they use a bowie knife which is exactly the kind of knife the Scream killer always uses.

As an aside: the new perk Corrupt Intervention actually fucking works and slows the game down to manageable levels. It sucks that killers have to use a perk to fix bad game design but at least there's some kind of fix for now.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mild updates:

The Plague has dropped. The consensus is that she's pretty good but very reliant on add-ons like most killers.

The devs fucked with the rank system and made it impossibly hard to rank up for both sides. I've had multiple matches where I killed 4, they got 1 or no gens done, and I black pip. No word from the devs if this is being fixed because of course.

Decisive Strike got nerfed. Hallelujah. But, Enduring now just hard counters the perk like it never did before. If a killer has Enduring and a survivor hits DS, they can take maybe 3-4 steps before the killer can hit them again. It's awesome. So of course the survivor mains are crying and demanding that Enduring no longer counter their get away for free perk. Which is hilarious to me. Before the nerf if anyone complained about DS, bringing a logical argument to the table, they'd just be shouted down by the fucktards that ree'd that Unnerving Presence countered the perk (it didn't) and Enduring counters it (it didn't, at best it would mitigate the effects but not by much) and if you're good then it doesn't matter because "good killers can counter it" which is more BS they would throw at you. Supposed "killer mains" would tell these lies that "DS isn't a problem. Survivor's need a 2nd chance. Committing to 4 chases is fair. Whenever they DS me I hit them 20 seconds later." The last one would only apply if the survivor in question massively fucked up. Like, epically fucked up.

So I am literally laughing my fucking ass off reading all the posts from crybabies now that Enduring actually for real counters the perk. If you listened to the pricks you'd think "What's the problem? I thought Enduring already countered it?" Trollface.

• Informative

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They """""""fixed""""" the matchmaking, again.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/54397/matchmaking-update/p1?new=1

Choice quote:

Today’s matchmaking update restructures how we manage player queues.

We will be separating the matchmaking queues in three regions : AMERICA, EMEA, APAC.

This will ensure that players are also matched based on geolocation and should improve the overall network connection between players.
That's right, this fucking game from launch until this very moment never once had any kind of region filtering or lock or anything like that. It wasn't too bad before but when they changed the matchmaking you started suddenly getting matched to every Chinaman that owns the fucking game. This basic and common sense logical thing took 3 years to be implemented.

Tags
None