Dead Rising - It's Resident Evil mixed with photography and robot masks.

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
I'm of the mind that New Vegas really needs a full on remake with expanded areas.
Never gonna happen, Closest you will ever get is mods that restore content. The Obsidian that Made New Vegas no longer exists, So it would be made by a team that would 'make it their own' or it would be handled by Bethesda themselves who would scramble it out of spite. In any case the fundamental issue is the game's engine, It is held together with Duct tape and Wonderglue A full on remake would require a complete overhaul which is 1) time consuming and 2) expensive. Zenimax would never greenlight it when they could just shit out the original game with slightly better textures and make the same amount of money at a fraction of the time and cost.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did we ever get any sort of reason why the Dead Rising sequels were developed in Vancouver and not by the original team?

Capcom's "western era" where they either outsourced development to the west or tried to imitate western games sucked so much shit, of which DR2 was ironically a high point, but I still wish we got a sequel by the original team and I'm just wondering why exactly we didn't.

Hideous K

Buy my games
kiwifarms.net
Did we ever get any sort of reason why the Dead Rising sequels were developed in Vancouver and not by the original team?

Capcom's "western era" where they either outsourced development to the west or tried to imitate western games sucked so much shit, of which DR2 was ironically a high point, but I still wish we got a sequel by the original team and I'm just wondering why exactly we didn't.

Ask Keiji Inafune on why, he thinks that Eastern developers should learned from the Western developers
Keiji Inafune:
"I hope Japanese game developers are breaking through the stagnation, However, the reality isn't as good as I want it to be. I see they're starting to be aware of the problem and that they have to do something. They know they have to learn more from western games and create games that'll sell more in the western market. However, they don't know what to do or how to do it."
https://archive.ph/6fGFR

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ask Keiji Inafune on why, he thinks that Eastern developers should learned from the Western developers

https://archive.ph/6fGFR
What a fucking moron, the only reason Japanese devs were lagging behind was because they were trying to imitate the west and not doing their own thing, what fucking "stagnation" is he talking about at that time? RE4 was influencing western games and came out just prior to the 7th gen, dude was off his rocker, it's especially rich coming from him considering he later tried to imitate the old Mega Man games with MN9.

I still don't get why though, why did he not feel the original team was not up to the task given they had made a successful first game? Looking back the whole attitude surrounding Japanese games both at home and in Japan itself over the course of the 7th gen is just so incredibly bizarre and makes no sense, I'm glad things are in a better state now though, although ironically now it's the west that is going to shit.

Vaping Autist

Maximum chucklefuck
kiwifarms.net
Dead Rising and it's series are the only games that have left an everlasting impression on me. They're great to just fuck about in and are close to being the perfect "do what you want" video game.

Also hot take: Mini Golf is the best part of DR4 despite it being DLC.

Dr. Pasquale

Harvard PhD
kiwifarms.net
Miss this game series like you wouldn't believe, started replaying this game over the week and had a blast, this, Hotline Miami and Halo 3 are probably the last "modern" games I can say I've really enjoyed.
I still replay DR2 and OTR every year or so. DR1 is the better game IMO but its harder to get into, I end up missing the combo weapons too much.

DR3 gets boring after 3-4 hours of play and the less said about DR4 the better.

Leave_Fargut

Make sure he lives. He owes me some credits.
kiwifarms.net
Combo weapons were a sign of the endtimes for me. Part of the whole "the best part of DR is killing le zombies!!1!!" school of thought that eventually led us to DR4. Spergy to say it but the only one I can enjoy these days is DR1, even with the imbecilic survivor AI.

DR and Assassin's Creed are two series where I was blown away by the first game and desperately wanted a sequel, wishes which turned out to be the biggest monkey paws of all time. Still, I'll always remember that late pre-DR2 period fondly, kicking around in Case Zero hoping the full game was going to be a knockout.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Combo weapons were a sign of the endtimes for me. Part of the whole "the best part of DR is killing le zombies!!1!!" school of thought that eventually led us to DR4. Spergy to say it but the only one I can enjoy these days is DR1, even with the imbecilic survivor AI.

DR and Assassin's Creed are two series where I was blown away by the first game and desperately wanted a sequel, wishes which turned out to be the biggest monkey paws of all time. Still, I'll always remember that late pre-DR2 period fondly, kicking around in Case Zero hoping the full game was going to be a knockout.
I'm not crazy about combo weapons either, grabbing something off the shelf and using it to kill zombies is much more in the spirit of what the series should be, it's immersion breaking to think of someone taking the time to slap shit together while zombies are honing in.

At the time since it took 4 long years for a sequel to come out it was just great to have a new game at all, as time has gone on though it's become pretty clear why DR2 is not as good as the first, I still like DR2 a lot at the end of the day, but the first game is still the best.

It's a shame DR couldn't have been better as a series, I just still don't understand why the team behind 1 wasn't allowed to make a sequel themselves.

Dr. Pasquale

Harvard PhD
kiwifarms.net
Chuck had to become a psychopath for him to get a personality
Its a shame he's so bland cuz the dude's got a killer design. All of the motorsports uniforms are fucking cool.

I like him for being a good guy whos out there struggling to keep his daughter safe, but dude's got nothing on Frank.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its a shame he's so bland cuz the dude's got a killer design. All of the motorsports uniforms are fucking cool.

I like him for being a good guy whos out there struggling to keep his daughter safe, but dude's got nothing on Frank.
His shiny motorcycle jacket sure looked nice at the time.

He's an ok character but to prefer him to Frank is nuts.

Dickhorn Magnetbutter

Now... Go Change Your Shorts And Get Back to Work!
kiwifarms.net
I just still don't understand why the team behind 1 wasn't allowed to make a sequel themselves.
Don't know if this is a genuine question or just (understandably) being disappointed with the sequels in comparison to the original, but I'll answer anyways.

Dead Rising 1 sold pretty poorly in Japan, so while Dead Rising was a niche success in the West and Capcom viewed the series in a positive light (considering they let a sequel happen in the first place), it wasn't exactly a top priority at that point. Keiji Inafune seemed to warm up to the idea of cooperating with Western game companies on projects, likely to broaden their horizons and possibly further their Western success. The developer they picked out to be at the helm of the sequel? Blue Castle Games, whose only experience with games at that point were sports games such as The Bigs, its sequel, and MLB Front Office Manager. While they had help and direction from Capcom Japan and apparently some of the developers of the first game, it was still their game. The rest of the story, and the studio, are history.

Don't know what was going through Inafune's head picking this studio out of so many other possibilities, but the outcome was definitely something.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't know if this is a genuine question or just (understandably) being disappointed with the sequels in comparison to the original, but I'll answer anyways.

Dead Rising 1 sold pretty poorly in Japan, so while Dead Rising was a niche success in the West and Capcom viewed the series in a positive light (considering they let a sequel happen in the first place), it wasn't exactly a top priority at that point. Keiji Inafune seemed to warm up to the idea of cooperating with Western game companies on projects, likely to broaden their horizons and possibly further their Western success. The developer they picked out to be at the helm of the sequel? Blue Castle Games, whose only experience with games at that point were sports games such as The Bigs, its sequel, and MLB Front Office Manager. While they had help and direction from Capcom Japan and apparently some of the developers of the first game, it was still their game. The rest of the story, and the studio, are history.

Don't know what was going through Inafune's head picking this studio out of so many other possibilities, but the outcome was definitely something.
Ok, so Dead Rising 1 didn't sell very well in Japan, that at least explains it.

But why would Capcom have expected anything else? The game was very clearly tailor made for a US audience (*before Japanese devs tailor making games for the US became a bad thing) and it was sold on a console that wasn't popular in Japan.

Still doesn't really make sense why if the game was enough of a success in the US to make a sequel anyway why they didn't just task the original devs.

That's heart breaking though to hear the game didn't sell well in Japan though, but at least it explains the switch of developers and the fairly long gap of 4 years before 2 came out.

*one of the things I like about Dead Rising though is despite obviously being made with the US in mind it still retains a very Japanese sense of humor and feel.

Captain Autism69

kiwifarms.net
Oh this thread brings back memories. DR1 was the game that made me buy a 360. It may as well have been called The Dawn of the Dead: Video Game as it captured the spirit of that movie perfectly. DR2 was fun, and I finished that too.
DR3 was shit. DR4 was promising to be a return to TEH MALL, but it was shitter than 3, and now as far as I'm concerned, Zombie games are overdone, and the series should just die.

Dickhorn Magnetbutter

Now... Go Change Your Shorts And Get Back to Work!
kiwifarms.net
Ok, so Dead Rising 1 didn't sell very well in Japan, that at least explains it.

But why would Capcom have expected anything else? The game was very clearly tailor made for a US audience (*before Japanese devs tailor making games for the US became a bad thing) and it was sold on a console that wasn't popular in Japan.

Still doesn't really make sense why if the game was enough of a success in the US to make a sequel anyway why they didn't just task the original devs.

That's heart breaking though to hear the game didn't sell well in Japan though, but at least it explains the switch of developers and the fairly long gap of 4 years before 2 came out.

*one of the things I like about Dead Rising though is despite obviously being made with the US in mind it still retains a very Japanese sense of humor and feel.
If I had to take a wild (and possibly retarded) guess, I assume they wanted to keep their Japanese talent on projects that were of more importance in their home country. Just outsource the main development to a studio in the place the series appeals to, have some of the old devs and management keep them in check and give help if need be. Seems like they let loose on their leash a little too much as time went on and then suddenly started yanking them back painfully at certain points, considering that communication between Capcom Vancouver and Capcom Japan muddied as time went on and the latter practically railroaded the former into solely being a Dead Rising studio by ultimately shutting down all their ideas for original IPs. (let's not bring up Puzzle Fighter, even if it's not really original)

Feel kind of sorry for them, would've been interesting to see what they had to offer outside of Dead Rising, considering how their degradation and burnout becomes pretty evident in 3 and 4.
Oh this thread brings back memories. DR1 was the game that made me buy a 360. It may as well have been called The Dawn of the Dead: Video Game as it captured the spirit of that movie perfectly. DR2 was fun, and I finished that too.
DR3 was shit. DR4 was promising to be a return to TEH MALL, but it was shitter than 3, and now as far as I'm concerned, Zombie games are overdone, and the series should just die.
Agreed. I started with DR2 soon after it released and it's still great, but soon checked out DR1 after beating it and now it's arguably my favorite game of all time.

I can tolerate DR3 nowadays and plan to replay it again after so many years to see how it holds up, but DR4 is definitely the reason why I hold 3 in better regard now because it's honestly baffling how they made an even worse one.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wonder how much the photography mechanics of the first one were influenced by that lewd doujin 3d fighter where scoring a combo and taking a picture of the girl's panties as they flipped upward because too much combo was the main way to score damage on your opponent
iirc that predated Dead Rising by a year or few?

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd like to see a new one done with the RE engine.

I think what they should do is an Off The Record 2, bring back Frank and ignore 3 and 4, have it be the first story since the Off The Record version of 2.

In fact that gives them such an easy "out" considering Off The Record is explicitly it's own continuity separate from the other sequels.

Personally while I have respect for the vanilla version of 2, I like to think of the series as just being the original game and Off The Record, the story ending with Frank walking off with his Asian journalist sure to be soon waifu, much better end than whatever was going on in 3 and 4.

Leslie Nielsen

Massive Faggot
kiwifarms.net
I still can't got over the fact that the franchise's creator's dumb ass obsession with westernizing the series is what killed it. Also, I highly recommend this video on Capcom Vancouver. The fact that they brought in a ubisoft exec, who immediately tried to turn DR5 into an assassins creed ripoff says it all.