Dead video game series/franchises you refuse to let go -

Peru oso donas

ME ENCANTA SER NAZI
kiwifarms.net
The Dept. Heaven series of games are a bunch of JRPGs developed by a company called Sting with little connection to each other, with overcomplicated but super fun and rewarding gameplay, great music and memorable plots. The series isn't completely death since this year they just released a japanese exclusive port for the switch of the 2nd game in the series: Yggdra union, but they haven't released a new game in the series outside of japan since 2012. This is also incredibly frustrating since said last game: Gungnir, for the PSP, ended with a fuck ton of cliffhangers, so i still hold out to the chance that either they make a completely new game, or at least a sequel to Gungnir.

I also wish for the day Intelligent Systems stops neglecting Advance Wars, but that's probably a wish for the monkey paw.

Prince of Crows

Autists of the world unite!
kiwifarms.net
Killzone.

I was hyped when the first one came out on PS2 & loved it even though it definitely wasn't the "halo-killer" it was marketed as & was only average at best.

Killzone 2 genuinely was a great game imo.

Killzone Liberation on PSP was surprisingly good.

Killzone 3 was pretty good.

I even fucking liked Shadow Fall even though that was extremely average.

Never played the PS Vita Killzone.

Fuck I miss that series. There are rumours that there might be a Killzone on PS5 but that seems unlikely given Guerilla Games success with Horizon Zero Dawn.

Reactions: ShortBusDriver

Billfreely

No class
kiwifarms.net
It's been years since, but part of me is still mourning the loss of Megaman Legends 3. I was a fan of the Megaman franchise since I was a young lad, and Megaman Legends was my favorite spin off growing up. I can't quite forgive Capcom for cancelling it, especially since the possibility of a new Legends game was the practically the main basis for me buying a 3DS.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Killzone.

I was hyped when the first one came out on PS2 & loved it even though it definitely wasn't the "halo-killer" it was marketed as & was only average at best.

Killzone 2 genuinely was a great game imo.

Killzone Liberation on PSP was surprisingly good.

Killzone 3 was pretty good.

I even fucking liked Shadow Fall even though that was extremely average.

Never played the PS Vita Killzone.

Fuck I miss that series. There are rumours that there might be a Killzone on PS5 but that seems unlikely given Guerilla Games success with Horizon Zero Dawn.
It does seem pretty odd that both Killzone and Resistance remain dormant, PlayStation hasn't had a FPS exclusive since 2013.

Ironically, having one of those IPs return would be a big breath of fresh air for the brand at this point.

Reactions: Prince of Crows

HumanHive

Human behavior is exceptional behavior.
kiwifarms.net
Was literally going to enter this thread just to say Killzone and Resistance. Sad that PS4 just became the third person whatever console. Everything looks the fucking same.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
I'll be waiting for the sequel to Eternal Darkness until I die.

I'm right there with you. Silicon Knights shit the bed, but Nintendo still owns the IP. They give us some pity in Smash with trophies or spirits, and they seem to be warming up to having more adult content with Bayonetta and No More Heroes, so fingers crossed. Maybe when the next evolution of the switch is into VR(that isn't cardboard) it'll be it's time to return to us. [/Fry's Dog waiting]

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Dept. Heaven series of games are a bunch of JRPGs developed by a company called Sting with little connection to each other, with overcomplicated but super fun and rewarding gameplay, great music and memorable plots. The series isn't completely death since this year they just released a japanese exclusive port for the switch of the 2nd game in the series: Yggdra union, but they haven't released a new game in the series outside of japan since 2012. This is also incredibly frustrating since said last game: Gungnir, for the PSP, ended with a fuck ton of cliffhangers, so i still hold out to the chance that either they make a completely new game, or at least a sequel to Gungnir.

I also wish for the day Intelligent Systems stops neglecting Advance Wars, but that's probably a wish for the monkey paw.
I really like Yggdra Union and I'm still sad it's sequel Blaze Union is Japan only. I think if it had more marketing/exposure the Disgaea audience probably would have liked it.

Beelzebub's Gate

an hero
kiwifarms.net
Team Fortress 2 for me, I've played the game since 2010 and have made friends on that game and many good memories. It definitely peaked 2011-2013, every year after 2013 started going downhill. It only has the support of 1-2 developers with a huge hacking problem. I'm always :optimistic: the game will have a revival and return to it's former glory but the Heavy update says no... (:_(

Water-T

MY DICK IS NOT TINY! IT'S NOT!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Suikoden. Konami used to be my favorite company.

(:_(
Rumour has it that Konami might actually let Del Toro and Kojima go ahead with Silent Hills

It's been years since, but part of me is still mourning the loss of Megaman Legends 3. I was a fan of the Megaman franchise since I was a young lad, and Megaman Legends was my favorite spin off growing up. I can't quite forgive Capcom for cancelling it, especially since the possibility of a new Legends game was the practically the main basis for me buying a 3DS.
Capcom shit the bed on that one. However, Mega Man 11 was a surprise - not just because it actually came out, but it was a great new direction for the main series. I hated that 9 and 10 took out the slide and charge shot of no explainable reason. Not only did the bosses have great designs, but having Mega take on physicals aspects of them along with their powers was a fantastic idea.

Now if we can only get an X9 in proper 2D instead of shitty 2.5/3D like in X7 and X8....

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Was literally going to enter this thread just to say Killzone and Resistance. Sad that PS4 just became the third person whatever console. Everything looks the fucking same.
Horizon Zero dawn sold more copies in a single release than killzone did for the entire franchise, and both games were made by the same development team.

That and FPS are crippled by DLC/Season pass/Multiplayer Always Online bullshit. It's considered suicide if you want to make a shooting game with a major single player focus or something without multiplayer attached to it. Resistance 1 and 3 had local co-op and were majorly focused around playing through the campaign which is why we're also not getting another one of those. insomniac's Spiderman game also out preformed that whole trilogy as well.

Killzone 2 and 3's multiplayer is shut down and it's impossible to get the platinum for either of them now unless you use Gonespy to make your own server. Resistance 2's multiplayer is shut down but 3 you can still play over LAN.

Ape Escape
It's rumored to be the next to get a reboot. Medieval Remastered didn't pull crash bandicoot or Spyro numbers so I dunno if that put a damper on it. They would have to redo the whole control scheme since analog sticks are common place that many of the device setups make no sense anymore.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Breath of Fire. It started out as the yin to Final Fantasy's yang. It let your hero turn into a dragon, and in the installments I played, it let you combine your other characters into customizable chimeras. Breath of Fire V is where the series jumped the shark as it completely changed the game mechanics and installed a save system that felt like hitting your genitals with a hammer every so often. I wouldn't have minded BoFV the game if it had been tied to a different and original franchise and had tweaked a few things. (It was one of those games where you had to do several playthroughs to have a complete story. Also, it had survival horror elements - a countdown timer that burned through your life every time you used your powers, save tokens you had to collect in order to save, etc.) I don't mind a game franchise trying new things, but when you change too much, you pretty much have a brand new franchise on your hands that only has cosmetic similarities to the original games.

Breath of Fire 6 pretty much burned the franchise down and pissed on the ashes. It was made for smartphones and never made it to the US. It's been 20 years since we've had an old school proper Breath of Fire game, so the series is pretty much dead, but I'd love to see it revived. It was one of the better old school RPGs and deserves a less ignominious fate.

• Agree
Reactions: Caddchef

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The Dark Cloud series. Dammit Sony, let Level 5 make a third one, the first game was amazing for a 2001 PS2 game.
Level 5 hasn't be able to make a solid game in years. They start strong but they always fall flat on their face midway through even Ni no Kuni 2 had this problem. not only that they decided to make the town building be smartphone grade mobile bullshit for no reason at all. There's no point in waiting 6 hours to have a town building be built in a turn based RPG.

• Agree
Reactions: Tour of Italy
Tags
None