Deadly Premonition 2 - What do you think Zach?

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
well whaddya know, Sterling and resetards completely missed the point of the whole "deadnaming" scene. I don't wanna spoil it because the character is a big part of the story but personally thought it was handled pretty well. Say whatever you want about Swery but he stands for his characters and doesn't treat them like snowflakes.
York's speech about how it's wrong to be transphobic does sound cringy (especially since the game takes place in 2005), but I think it was meant to establish that York is open-minded and won't stand for bigotry however he still treats everyone equally and he won't defend a criminal just because she's trans and was abused.
www.youtube.com.png

I personally loved what Swery did there since both KiA and resetera are mad at him for different reasons. So far I'm enjoying the game and the drama

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Go to the park and look for trees with hives. Punch bees and then shoot the hive. Repeat.
Thanks. I also realized that the fucking bar sidequest switches drinks in 12:00 for some insane reason. So I need to go back there and hope the game doesn't require you to do it in the same week.

rotollo

No Tomboy GF
kiwifarms.net
hey I'm doing the shower quest and I can't find the bellhop david for some reason, anyone know where he shows up, is he time sensitive?

sharky

Donut-rolling, vest-wearing
kiwifarms.net
Despite the framerate complaints I've seen, is it playable at least?

I wanted to see if it's tolerable/annoying at worst or if it's genuinely broken/unplayable before buying but then again I've slogged through plenty of games that just weren't meant to run on an old shitty pc. Loved the original.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Okay I finished the game. It's sadly very underwhelming. I found the plot to be less interesting, consisting nearly entirely of going into the next location based on the Voodoo prince, removing a lot of player agency. It also pre-emptively spoils a lot of the plot revelations. The characters are still interesting but I feel like there is like a third of the cast of the first game and they don't nearly get involved in the plot.
The gameplay feels like it's trolling me, some missions are literally running for 15 minutes straight or giving you a puzzle and immediately telling the answer. The horror segments are as bad as ever but are insanely easy to the point it doesn't feel like you should bother and you don't get to have any weapons besides the pistol.
Another problem is that the game has the slowest clock imagniable, so you barely need to do any extra activity, of which none is well made or give any interesting reward. Also you won't see the night otherworld unless you actively look for it.
Finally the game map is too large, the loading times are way too long, the summer Louisiana sun fucking bleaches my eyes and the frame rate is about 10 FPS when you are outside.
Final score, 10/10.

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
Is there any connections to D4 outside just basic nods? I am tempted to get the game but I kinda want to know if it answers any of the questions from D4 that will never get answered.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
The sound effect for the skateboard was far worse than anything having to do with the trans character, though the little OMG-bigoted-thinking-is-bad rant was a bit cringe. Every time he was using that damn skateboard I thought someone was trying to strike a match and failing. So irritating.

rotollo

No Tomboy GF
kiwifarms.net
So what's everyone thinking so far? just got to chapter 2 and I'm loving it, has a different feel than the first which is good because if they just shamelessly went redid the first game it would feel hollow like a direct to DVD sequel, will probably do a full write up when I'm finished.
The horror segments are as bad as ever but are insanely easy to the point it doesn't feel like you should bother and you don't get to have any weapons besides the pistol.
yeah weapon variety being axed sucks but the charge shot feels nice at least to pull off. though that just makes me wonder why does the voodoo shop even have guns on display if the only thing that effects them are the charms. probably a cut feature. also the dodge is a welcome addition in my book since it makes it so you aren't completely fucked if you get jumped by an enemy.
The sound effect for the skateboard was far worse than anything having to do with the trans character, though the little OMG-bigoted-thinking-is-bad rant was a bit cringe. Every time he was using that damn skateboard I thought someone was trying to strike a match and failing. So irritating.
Yes the skate board sounds are awful but despite the low FPS it somehow controls better then the car so it evens out for me, hopefully they make better audio mixing in the patch somehow.

Majima

Nuclear Power Bottom
kiwifarms.net
SWERY caved in, he's going to rewrite the trans guy scenes. I think something is up- he also did The Missing, wheres a trans man is the main character and he has to multilate himself for puzzles. Either way, this is pretty sad.
I'm extremely upset. I'm unsure the depth of how they are going to handle this; I will accept, begrudgingly, the removal of the character's dead name in most instances. Anything else would destroy the game.

Except even removing the idea and name of Lenny ruins a lot of the mystery. Are they going to introduce the family tree with one line of "The Clarkson Trans Woman Daughter" instead of Only Clarkson Son? With Lena being Patricia's father, you can't erase the idea of Lena being born male. Are the characters (like crawdad midget dude fuck idk his name) that remember Lenny just going to auto-default to Lena? He seemed not even aware of Lena's identity-- is an entire city in 2005 Louisiana going to jump on the "we love trans" bandwagon? Are they going to destroy the powerful moment between PJ and Lena, before their deaths? Are they going to erase Melvin's "transphobia" because he's a multifaceted character that was bitter about her transition because he fell in love with Lenny, not Lena (initally). All of this is GOOD WRITING. Blindly accepting a trans character in a historically accurate setting is not good writing. And even then, if you play the game instead of being a tranny crying on Twitter, you'd realize nobody in the game is transphobic, everyone accepts Lena or just doesn't care.

There's probably more thoughts I could articulate on it, but I'm a bit too angry about it so I'm getting autistic lol

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
I'm extremely upset. I'm unsure the depth of how they are going to handle this; I will accept, begrudgingly, the removal of the character's dead name in most instances. Anything else would destroy the game.
I'm going to dislike the change regardless. Every sane writer just avoids putting trans people in their writing because they knew there's no appeasing the mob if it got noticed. Swery dared, got noticed, and the mob got mad simply because the person in-game is evil. Fucks sake, I miss the times where writing in general used to be interesting on their themes without the audience making it political when its not.
They're just characters. He doesn't use them as political things, they're just characters for his writing. Even fantasy settings aren't safe. I can feel that this hurts to Swery as a writer because of that old saying about "the worst thing a writer can do is what they're expected" and all that. That saying doesn't mesh well with modern sensitivities, since these people actually do just want a character to walk in, have said character announce hes gay/trans/whatever-have-you and then hang around in a coffee shop all day. The writer can't kill them, question them, complicate them or anything "interesting".
I'm cutting my autistic rant short because I'm just... sad. This is just a guy who wants to show a story. That's it. And yet he still has to change his intended version to something different.

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
eh... reminds me when some dyke complained about "corrective rape" in AC odyssey which Ubisoft tried to fix by adding a heart shape to some dialogue options. Hilarious shit!
The worst part is swery never marketed this game as some kind of LGBT+ safe haven (play the missing instead if you want that shit) and the whole shitstorm was started by the faggot Sterling's out-of-context rant and twitter activists who didn't even play the game.
This is a murder mystery ffs, I thought even these people can't be that stupid.

Oh well...at least pizza will never betray me

Reactions: Xenomorphs Are Cute

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
So I should play the game before they implement this stupid change is what I'm seeing. Gonna blitz through it. Unless you can play un-updated games?

I still think this is utterly stupid though. And the fact those twitter replies are all 'He changed it himself!' Like these ratfink fucks abusing a sweet Japanese dude wasn't a goddamn factor. I've followed Swery for years on Twitter. Dude is absolutely harmless and these thinskin babies are twisting his empathy to make him change his work.

Tags
None