Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

If you want to lose some more faith in humanity, Amazon reviewers are calling it "A Genuine Masterpiece."

View attachment 627961
View attachment 627962

The aunt mentioned in the review has no character traits beyond being black and gay. Uncle Mike is a strawman that would fit nicely into your average Tumblr comic.

I read this in their review-“The grandmother asks her daughter-in-law Alicia to bring ethnic foods such as a sweet potato pie. ”
I’m sorry but I didn’t think sweet potato pie is an “ethnic food”?
I’ve lived in the south my whole life, I thought it was just a southern speciality?
I also noticed the person that reviewed that book got it for free.
Seems they get everything for free, I scrolled for a while and only found one item that wasn’t free.
Here is their review on earplugs, which they also got for free
“I love ear plugs. I really do. Just roll them between your fingers so the narrowed point is in front. Insert the plug into your ear. Fortunately these fit my ears well and the end that projects outward does not fall out nor does it irritate my skin. Ideal noise barrier. A must have!”.
(Sorry for being off topic for a bit.)
Also I wonder if the Deaf community would be upset about this book? Since it wasn’t written by a deaf person?
The book looks horrible, just reading “it better be fine, and yeah I bring it up a lot,being deaf, black + Oaktowner is who I am and I’m hecka proud of all 3” made me cringe.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

your local tranny hater
I read this in their review-“The grandmother asks her daughter-in-law Alicia to bring ethnic foods such as a sweet potato pie. ”
I’m sorry but I didn’t think sweet potato pie is an “ethnic food”?
I’ve lived in the south my whole life, I thought it was just a southern speciality?
I also noticed the person that reviewed that book got it for free.
Seems they get everything for free, I scrolled for a while and only found one item that wasn’t free.
Here is their review on earplugs, which they also got for free
“I love ear plugs. I really do. Just roll them between your fingers so the narrowed point is in front. Insert the plug into your ear. Fortunately these fit my ears well and the end that projects outward does not fall out nor does it irritate my skin. Ideal noise barrier. A must have!”.
(Sorry for being off topic for a bit.)
Also I wonder if the Deaf community would be upset about this book? Since it wasn’t written by a deaf person?
The book looks horrible, just reading “it better be fine, and yeah I bring it up a lot,being deaf, black + Oaktowner is who I am and I’m hecka proud of all 3” made me cringe.
I'm going to go full tumblrtard for a moment. Considering this book was written by a white person, the "ethnic food=sweet potato pie" thing actually pisses me off, because a lot of soul food or stereotypically "black" foods like fried chicken, collard greens, etc. originate from slaves and later tenant farmers being poor as shit so they made do with what was cheap. This "woman" (not sure if ugly woman or troon) is trying so hard to be woke it doubles back into infantilizing racism "oh, your kind like things like sweet potato pie, don't they, slave? How quaint." I'd rather be broke than woke.

I feel backward into US deaf community. I was doing industrial job and a high pressure air compressor exploded very close to me. I ended up greatly damaging my hearing. I was in my low twenties at the time. I thought I would have to drop from university. I could not sign, could read lips. I was devastated. I thought my life was over because I never thought to live without hearing and I knew no one deaf.

I ended up in support group like AA for deaf people. I would say half of the group were okay. Two, a young man and a young woman were very wonderful to me. I am still friends with them both to this day. It was very helpful to learn of services available and to have people patient enough to sit with me while i tried to talk of my struggles adjusting.

Other half of group were massive pricks. God do I have stories of dealing with some of those peoples...

Hearing came back eventually and like I said, I am still friends with two people from group.

Piga Dgrifm

Assigned Hitler At Birth
True & Honest Fan
The Sweet Potato thing:
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 7.41.06 PM.png

"As sharp as a point itself."
lol writing is hard.
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 7.42.25 PM.png

I don't know if she has enough online activity to sustain a lolcow thread, but I'm considering a thread for the books in a different subforum.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

your local tranny hater
If you want to lose some more faith in humanity, Amazon reviewers are calling it "A Genuine Masterpiece."

View attachment 627961
View attachment 627962

The aunt mentioned in the review has no character traits beyond being black and gay. Uncle Mike is a strawman that would fit nicely into your average Tumblr comic.
Thank God amazon is no stranger to false and/or compensated reviews. I usually go to the 2 and 3 star reviews and read them first for that reason.

Daughter of Cernunnos

Ghost husb@ndos
True & Honest Fan
So, devil's advocate here: Disney for three people isn't cheap, and these people, while Latino, speak and talk like many Latinos in California. Their accent is emblematic of more upper-class Hispanics. I highly doubt they came from the slums and had never seen a service dog.

Did the lady with the dog react 100% wrong? Duh. Instead of saying she was "UNCOMFORTABLE!!!" She could have just explained this was a service dog, not a pet, and to please not distract her working animal.
That makes sense. I am Canadian and I've never seen a Hispanic person IRL except for exchange students.

Dragon Face

A̶a̸a̶a̷a̸a̴A̴A̷A̸a̵a̴a̶A̸A̵A̴a̷a̸a̸a̵A̴A̵A
The current event within the Deaf community: Clarisa Vollmar Passed Away

Who is Clarisa Vollmar?
Clarisa Delilah Qualls Vollmar, a DeafBlind child with COMMAD Syndrome, that had a large following on social media.

Social media:
https://www.facebook.com/ClarisaVollmar/ (Archived)

Clarisa recently passed away in her sleep on New Year, January 1st 2019, the reason is unknown. This shocked the Deaf community, due to how unexpected this is. However, there are other Deaf people who saw an opportunity to shit on father of Clarisa, Justin Dean Vollmar, (https://www.facebook.com/JustinDVollmar / Archived) who was a former religious nutcase but then changed into atheist nutcase that debated with many religious Deaf people. For this reason, he is disliked by some people from the Deaf community.

He posted this when his daughter passed away.
"A terrible tragedy has struck our family today. Clarisa Delilah Qualls Vollmar has died today in her sleep.
Pls keep us in your prayers & thoughts as our family grieve. More details such as funeral will coming later."

https://www.facebook.com/ClarisaVollmar/posts/981962125327198 (Archived)
https://www.facebook.com/JustinDVollmar/posts/10156150105328691 (Archived)

He posted multiple fundraising pages to fund the expense for the family.
https://givehope.com/Funeral-expenses-for-ClarisaVollmar (Archived)
https://mealtrain.com/zv8eqd (Failed to archive)

Then someone called him out on increasing the goal a few times.
https://www.facebook.com/MaryYu22/posts/2264808596915011
Callout Screenshot.png

There are several ASL vlogs, when I'm up to it, I will type up the transcript for non-ASL users.
What I can tell you, for now, is that there are some Deaf people telling Justin that he deserved it for betraying God by stop believing in him, how he's a hypocrite for asking for our prayers for family, how that DeafBlind won't live a full life and he should've ended her life earlier, how he's an abuser for going to party on New Year Eve when his daughter is sick with blue lips. There were various rumors and brutal comments going on around the Deaf community.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

your local tranny hater
The current event within the Deaf community: Clarisa Vollmar Passed Away

Who is Clarisa Vollmar?
Clarisa Delilah Qualls Vollmar, a DeafBlind child with COMMAD Syndrome, that had a large following on social media.

Social media:
https://www.facebook.com/ClarisaVollmar/ (Archived)

Clarisa recently passed away in her sleep on New Year, January 1st 2019, the reason is unknown. This shocked the Deaf community, due to how unexpected this is. However, there are other Deaf people who saw an opportunity to shit on father of Clarisa, Justin Dean Vollmar, (https://www.facebook.com/JustinDVollmar / Archived) who was a former religious nutcase but then changed into atheist nutcase that debated with many religious Deaf people. For this reason, he is disliked by some people from the Deaf community.

He posted this when his daughter passed away.
"A terrible tragedy has struck our family today. Clarisa Delilah Qualls Vollmar has died today in her sleep.
Pls keep us in your prayers & thoughts as our family grieve. More details such as funeral will coming later."

https://www.facebook.com/ClarisaVollmar/posts/981962125327198 (Archived)
https://www.facebook.com/JustinDVollmar/posts/10156150105328691 (Archived)

He posted multiple fundraising pages to fund the expense for the family.
https://givehope.com/Funeral-expenses-for-ClarisaVollmar (Archived)
https://mealtrain.com/zv8eqd (Failed to archive)

Then someone called him out on increasing the goal a few times.
https://www.facebook.com/MaryYu22/posts/2264808596915011

There are several ASL vlogs, when I'm up to it, I will type up the transcript for non-ASL users.
What I can tell you, for now, is that there are some Deaf people telling Justin that he deserved it for betraying God by stop believing in him, how he's a hypocrite for asking for our prayers for family, how that DeafBlind won't live a full life and he should've ended her life earlier, how he's an abuser for going to party on New Year Eve when his daughter is sick with blue lips. There were various rumors and brutal comments going on around the Deaf community.

Am I allowed to think it's weird that as an atheist nut he requested "prayer"? Or was that the mother? Methinks traces of his religious side are still in there. I mean, if someone genuinely wants to pray for you it's polite to accept it, but I have a hard time believing an atheist would request "keep us in your prayers".

I'm being autistic, ignore me.

Positron

Asocial distancing, please.
True & Honest Fan
This- “I love the show very much, but Mr. Bochco (co-executive producer Steven Bochco) needs to show some respect for the deaf community," says deaf fan Lisa Siemens.”

I’m going to guess that Steven Bochco was trying to show respect, the whole writing a deaf character and having the actor actually be deaf was respect, but all these people do is complain.
Don't stoop so low as trying to appease the "oppressed"; all they want is a hand to bite at.

This is from 2017- Police in Tampa, Florida, are conducting a review following criticism of a sign-language interpreter's performance at a high-profile press conference. An expert says the interpreter was signing gibberish while standing next to officials announcing the arrest of a suspected serial killer. Watch Derlyn Roberts sign at the Nov. 28 press conference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFgwgk6obI

What’s interesting about this, is that the “interpreter” isn’t signing nonsense, but it’s not ASL either.
It’s like she tried to sign, but she used spoken English word order.
She did make mistakes, like I think her finger spelling is nonsense, she uses the wrong sign for glass, it looks like she signs 51 hours ago, instead of 51 days ago, and some other mistakes I’m too lazy to watch again and list.
What’s funny is that the lady doing the interpreting has been arrested several times, and showed up at a police conference and offers to sign for them. I thought she might have done this just to fuck with the police and make them look stupid on tv, but she does have quite a few signs right, so I have no idea what motivated her to offer to do this.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Biden avatar like everyone else
Question, how common is it to still have ASL interpreters at that sort of thing? I was under the impression that the advent of television closed captioning made sign language interpreters mostly outdated for stuff that's going to appear on TV, but CC has been around for decades now and still every once in a while a story like this pops up.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
Deaf zealots are weird. "I'm deaf and proud of it!" they'll say.
I have never once heard someone say "I was born incapable of telling when I'm about to shit my pants and am proud of it!"

I used to have a deaf girlfriend, and she exposed me to a lot of this asinine shit (even if she didn't buy into most of it). Deaf people will try to say "It's not a disability!" as if they don't know what the fuck the word means. Yes, it very much is. "Dis" is a negating prefix. Hearing is an ability. Thus the lack of hearing would be a disability.

Shit, some of them tried to say it wasn't a disadvantage, deluded fuckers. They'd try to argue left and right why the lack of hearing didn't affect them, and wouldn't affect anyone else. I tried to point out that if a deaf person was crossing the street at night and some dickhead in a car with their lights off was speeding towards them they'd probably get hit, whereas a hearing person wouldn't because they'd hear the car coming. "I'd feel the vibration!" they'd say, ignoring the fact that they'd only feel the vibration once the car was close enough to be basically a second or 2 away from turning them into a fucking pancake.

Mention being able to use a phone? "We have video chat!" ignoring the fact that video chat, unless you've got a really decent connection, tends to stutter and lag which WILL fuck with sign language.

They really just don't want to accept their limitations or admit that they're different than other people. Fuck, the way a lot of them went on about it they seemed to think they were somehow fucking superior to people capable of hearing.

Not to mention most of them can't write for shit. How the fuck people who spend their lives READING are incapable of forming a coherent sentence is beyond me. They've seen proper writing, how the fuck can't they learn to emulate it?

Senior Lexmechanic

Upgraded with salt extractor
Deaf zealots are weird. "I'm deaf and proud of it!" they'll say.
I have never once heard someone say "I was born incapable of telling when I'm about to shit my pants and am proud of it!"

I used to have a deaf girlfriend, and she exposed me to a lot of this asinine shit (even if she didn't buy into most of it). Deaf people will try to say "It's not a disability!" as if they don't know what the fuck the word means. Yes, it very much is. "Dis" is a negating prefix. Hearing is an ability. Thus the lack of hearing would be a disability.

Shit, some of them tried to say it wasn't a disadvantage, deluded fuckers. They'd try to argue left and right why the lack of hearing didn't affect them, and wouldn't affect anyone else. I tried to point out that if a deaf person was crossing the street at night and some dickhead in a car with their lights off was speeding towards them they'd probably get hit, whereas a hearing person wouldn't because they'd hear the car coming. "I'd feel the vibration!" they'd say, ignoring the fact that they'd only feel the vibration once the car was close enough to be basically a second or 2 away from turning them into a fucking pancake.

Mention being able to use a phone? "We have video chat!" ignoring the fact that video chat, unless you've got a really decent connection, tends to stutter and lag which WILL fuck with sign language.

They really just don't want to accept their limitations or admit that they're different than other people. Fuck, the way a lot of them went on about it they seemed to think they were somehow fucking superior to people capable of hearing.

Not to mention most of them can't write for shit. How the fuck people who spend their lives READING are incapable of forming a coherent sentence is beyond me. They've seen proper writing, how the fuck can't they learn to emulate it?
I can read some Spanish, but I can't write worth shit in it. Translating foreign input to native thought is easier than translating native thought to foreign output.

Signing grammar should've been made so it matched with written and spoken grammar. Whoever invented ASL dun fucked up.

I agree.
I could be wrong about this but I think ASL is based on
Question, how common is it to still have ASL interpreters at that sort of thing? I was under the impression that the advent of television closed captioning made sign language interpreters mostly outdated for stuff that's going to appear on TV, but CC has been around for decades now and still every once in a while a story like this pops up.

With Closed Captions, the people that do it, have a script to read from and type the words.
My moms friend was a court reporter and explained that to me.
I know on a national new broadcast, they have someone doing captioning, but not so much for local affiliates.
But for small events or even evacuation notices, the police department gets a professional interpreter.
From what I read, this lady showed up, asked the cops could she do it, and the cops said yes,but didn’t check her credentials,due to lack of time.