Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

Brit Crust

Most Fashionable Bitch In Tremorton
Signing grammar should've been made so it matched with written and spoken grammar. Whoever invented ASL dun fucked up.
That's already a thing. It's called Signing/Signed Exact English (SEE.) Useful for teaching deaf and hard-of-hearing students English grammar, but not so good for usage in conversation. (It can be real tedious to sign out every single word in a sentence, whereas ASL is able to convey the message in just a couple signs.)

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
Not to mention most of them can't write for shit. How the fuck people who spend their lives READING are incapable of forming a coherent sentence is beyond me. They've seen proper writing, how the fuck can't they learn to emulate it?
Being able to speak aloud is important to good writing. It's the final sanity check that what you wrote sounds good.
Signing grammar should've been made so it matched with written and spoken grammar. Whoever invented ASL dun fucked up.
ASL is a wholly different language from English. It's the main reason why the Deaf community is full of lolcows and blind people are fine: they grew up with a different first language. Like they're Mexicans or something.

That's already a thing. It's called Signing/Signed Exact English (SEE.) Useful for teaching deaf and hard-of-hearing students English grammar, but not so good for usage in conversation. (It can be real tedious to sign out every single word in a sentence, whereas ASL is able to convey the message in just a couple signs.)

I think a lot of Deaf people in the USA hate SEE.
I’m better at SEE or PSE than ASL.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
Being able to speak aloud is important to good writing. It's the final sanity check that what you wrote sounds good.

ASL is a wholly different language from English. It's the main reason why the Deaf community is full of lolcows and blind people are fine: they grew up with a different first language. Like they're Mexicans or something.
I'm not even talking about it sounding good. I'm talking about it being nearly indecipherable gibberish. My ex could write fine, largely because she could actually hear with the assistance of a cochlear implant. But our deaf neighbor? Good lord, his sentences were less legible than those written by a child! It's not that they were formatted poorly, but rather that it seemed to lack half the necessary words to convey the meaning of his statements. Like someone went through and just arbitrarily deleted random words, while also moving a bunch of the remaining words around.
Which I found bizarre given that the guy spent most of his time reading and watching TV with the captions on. He's SEEN how these sentences are formatted, yet his own formatting is just godawful.

I've seen foreigners who write more legibly using translations.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
I'm not even talking about it sounding good. I'm talking about it being nearly indecipherable gibberish. My ex could write fine, largely because she could actually hear with the assistance of a cochlear implant. But our deaf neighbor? Good lord, his sentences were less legible than those written by a child! It's not that they were formatted poorly, but rather that it seemed to lack half the necessary words to convey the meaning of his statements. Like someone went through and just arbitrarily deleted random words, while also moving a bunch of the remaining words around.
Which I found bizarre given that the guy spent most of his time reading and watching TV with the captions on. He's SEEN how these sentences are formatted, yet his own formatting is just godawful.

I mean that you and I don't write well because we have a mechanical understanding of the grammar, but because we've been listening to the language for our whole lives. Six year olds are incoherent too.

I understand what you mean.
I got handed a note, or I should say a novel, from a deaf lady at a restaurant that sits next to a truck stop.
It was crazy to read.
Basically she was trying to get to Florida and needed money for a hotel, etc.
She also had underlined random, certain words one or two times, I have no idea why.
Luckily, she had no problem understanding my PSE and I gave her a few cigs, and she left.
I had my Marlboro lights sitting in my table.
When I handed her a few of those, she finger spelled menthol and a question mark sign.
I told her I don’t smoke menthol, but I wondered why she even asked considering the box was right on the table.

Last edited:
I

IV 445

kiwifarms.net
985D4798-C90F-4DA2-8623-D7C2F2A034C4.jpeg