Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

Jaimas

HUP HUP HUP HUP
True & Honest Fan
I had to be certified to work in deaf-blindness at a job since my client had Charge syndrome. This required key speakers with Deaf-Blindness. It was odd they find themselves superior to Deaf community and have the same beliefs that they are not disabled with the same way of distinguishing with capitals or not. The client's parents (both Deaf) refused to sign off on the IEP since they deemed it to be signing that he was disabled.

Clockwork_PurBle

"The flames, my sweet, will not hurt you."
Why am I not shocked that there's a "Deaf community" that's chock full of elitism and mentality that rivals religious zealotry?

Fairly obvious to me a great deal of it is rooted in insecurity, jealousy, and overcompensation, which they will never admit. I would compare it to the parents (or mothers specifically, usually) of children with Downs or low-functioning autism that insist their kid is Literally the Exact Same™ as the normal kids and demand they be in the same classroom as the normal kids.

I'm slow to anger but I get really upset whenever I see people bitching about babies and kids receiving hearing aids, implants, etc. and other things relating to disability labeled as "ableism" because the parents don't want a child that is blind and deaf. WELL NO SHIT THEY DON'T. If I had a child with a disability like that I would still love them, but I would rather they didn't so they didn't have to struggle anymore in life than they already have to without a problem like that. Imagine calling it "ableism" when parents want their kid to be able to listen to music and just hear.

Voicing (lol) my own stuff, yeah deaf people are loud for obvious reasons, it's still an annoying habit of mines to break even after I got my implant since it pops every once in a while, mostly when I get excited. The opposite is also true for me, some people raise their voice too loud for me to hear and I would hate the volume. I can obviously read and text, but writing with a pencil is a hassle. No idea why. My writing and pronoucation just sucks.
One thing most people don't know is that deaf people has balance problems. Something about the nerves in the ear is connected to the same nerves for balance? I long forgot the reason. Hence why they usually take stuff like acrobatics and skating slow, fall often and is much more clumiser than normal people.
I think deaf zealots don't want to accept their limitations because its their envy of normal people being 'perfectly' fine taken to the extreme, since they (the normal people) don't have to imagine what its like to have no hearing, blind, or whatever disability under the sun. The jealous deaf people have to endure their crippling missing sense for the rest of their lives. Without a sense of hearing or sight, it's a completely different life. 'Us vs Them' mentality but with a twist of envy.
I still struggle with my deafness ever since I got my implant since it doesn't bring 100% of my hearing back, but its just nice to hear overall. Hearing birds for the first time was an experience I never forgot.

Voicing (lol) my own stuff, yeah deaf people are loud for obvious reasons, it's still an annoying habit of mines to break even after I got my implant since it pops every once in a while, mostly when I get excited. The opposite is also true for me, some people raise their voice too loud for me to hear and I would hate the volume. I can obviously read and text, but writing with a pencil is a hassle. No idea why. My writing and pronoucation just sucks.
One thing most people don't know is that deaf people has balance problems. Something about the nerves in the ear is connected to the same nerves for balance? I long forgot the reason. Hence why they usually take stuff like acrobatics and skating slow, fall often and is much more clumiser than normal people.
I think deaf zealots don't want to accept their limitations because its their envy of normal people being 'perfectly' fine taken to the extreme, since they (the normal people) don't have to imagine what its like to have no hearing, blind, or whatever disability under the sun. The jealous deaf people have to endure their crippling missing sense for the rest of their lives. Without a sense of hearing or sight, it's a completely different life. 'Us vs Them' mentality but with a twist of envy.
I still struggle with my deafness ever since I got my implant since it doesn't bring 100% of my hearing back, but its just nice to hear overall. Hearing birds for the first time was an experience I never forgot.
relate hard to the being loud sometimes thing. used to be really into "D/deaf" culture or whatever they use as a label now, but the sperging out by deaf zealots is incredibly stupid. a few days ago there was a twitter thread about scientists finding a way to cure at-birth deafness (genetic) and they came flooding out the woodworks.

ill try to find it someday, but it comprised of "this is ableist!!1" or whatever shit like that. people forget a small number of deaf people are born deaf, lol

I went to school across from a school for deaf kids so we were taught sign language throughout elementary and middle school since our schools often interacted with one another being that mine was a private school and our administrators believed that we should set an example for other schools and prove how virtuous we are. It was obnoxious to say the least.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Biden avatar like everyone else
I can remember a few of the very basics but other than that no. I know enough to tell a deaf person I can't hold a conversation with them.
Well, anyone can do that - you just watch their signing with a bewildered look on your face.

But I’m sure most deaf people are used to assuming that any rando they encounter will have no idea how to sign unless they have reason to believe otherwise.

Well, anyone can do that - you just watch their signing with a bewildered look on your face.

But I’m sure most deaf people are used to assuming that any rando they encounter will have no idea how to sign unless they have reason to believe otherwise.
True. I used to know sign language at school, but then later forgot everything but the basics from non-use afterwards. Writing notes or texting small phrases on a phone is miles easier anyways and everyone knows that.

EDIT: Mini unrelated thing but I love it when people (or me) make the "dead" typo. People usually panic over it but I tell its okay, and then we laugh over it. I don't know why, its just really funny.

Last edited:

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
My college roommate and I used to follow this absolute trainwreck of an inbred American redneck deaf couple on MySpace just to laugh at them. They would say the words "huggz" and "mwahies" a dozen times in each of the disjointed, retarded paragraphs they wrote.

A typical sentence would be "I luv huggz u babe much every day mwahies luv us a lot babe huggz". I'd click on their friends' profiles and see them using the same two words way too many times in every post full of retard English. If you Google these words, many of the results are deaf communities.

Why do deaf people use the words "huggz" and "mwahies" online to an unhealthy degree? Why is their grammar so terrible? You don't have to be able to hear to learn how to write correctly.

Last edited:

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Biden avatar like everyone else
Why do deaf people use the words "huggz" and "mwahiez" online to an unhealthy degree? Why is their grammar so terrible? You don't have to be able to hear to learn how to write correctly.

mwahiez.png

:thinking:

My college roommate and I used to follow this absolute trainwreck of an inbred American redneck deaf couple on MySpace just to laugh at them. They would say the words "huggz" and "mwahies" a dozen times in each of the disjointed, retarded paragraphs they wrote.

A typical sentence would be "I luv huggz u babe much every day mwahies luv us a lot babe huggz". I'd click on their friends' profiles and see them using the same two words way too many times in every post full of retard English. If you Google these words, many of the results are deaf communities.

Why do deaf people use the words "huggz" and "mwahies" online to an unhealthy degree? Why is their grammar so terrible? You don't have to be able to hear to learn how to write correctly.

I read that the Deaf read at about a fourth grade level.
I think the bad grammar might be due to the fact that that they can’t hear what the letters sound like, so they frequently misspell them.