Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

A few years ago, I used to watch a YouTube channel called the daily sign. (Now the channel is called the daily smile)
It was a girl who did ASL song covers. (Maybe it was more PSE that ASL)
I went to her channel and she has been pretty much bullied by the Deaf community to stop signing songs because they see it as profiting off their language.
Also, the YouTube girl had a shirt for sale that said something like, “I can’t sing so I sign”.
The shirt really pissed the community off.
I found the link to the letter that the Deaf community sent her.
Scroll down past the links they recommend that people watch and you can read the stupid letter in full.

A few years ago, I used to watch a YouTube channel called the daily sign. (Now the channel is called the daily smile)
It was a girl who did ASL song covers. (Maybe it was more PSE that ASL)
I went to her channel and she has been pretty much bullied by the Deaf community to stop signing songs because they see it as profiting off their language.
Also, the YouTube girl had a shirt for sale that said something like, “I can’t sing so I sign”.
The shirt really pissed the community off.
I found the link to the letter that the Deaf community sent her.
Scroll down past the links they recommend that people watch and you can read the stupid letter in full.

Oh Jay-sus, what a bunch of assholes. Please tell me she started continuing her songs.

ociden

The Masked Kiwi
There was this chick in Torn discord who was 'hoh' who didn't want her daughter to have surgery to be able to hear because being hoh is superior or what the fuck ever. I have no idea why anyone would actively choose to make their child grow up deaf when they could choose otherwise, but you do you I guess.

but you do you I guess.

But she isn't doing things her way, she's forcing her daughter to do things her way. This is one of the things we've mysteriously given a "get out of child abuse free" card to, along with circumcision. You want to chop your child's legs off? Go to prison you monster. You want to chop the end of your child's dick off? That's just coolio and you're a religious bigot if you say otherwise! You want to make sure your child will spend their whole life with nothing but silence? That's just coolio and you're an ableist bigot if you say otherwise!

ociden

The Masked Kiwi
But she isn't doing things her way, she's forcing her daughter to do things her way. This is one of the things we've mysteriously given a "get out of c**** ***** free" card to, along with circumcision. You want to chop your child's legs off? Go to prison you monster. You want to chop the end of your child's dick off? That's just coolio and you're a religious bigot if you say otherwise! You want to make sure your child will spend their whole life with nothing but silence? That's just coolio and you're an ableist bigot if you say otherwise!
I'm surprised you think I actually agree with this clear-cut case of child abuse, but I enjoy your expansion on it regardless. I gave up trying to convince her to do otherwise because her closer friends were trying to do the same and it wasn't working and I guess that defeat shows.
(Is anyone actually out there saying this is not immoral? I only mentioned it because I thought the farms would lose their shits over it.)

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
Been a decent surge in deaf interest in terms of Netflix shows and.. Twitch content. Almost like a mascot, a bunch of big VRchat streamers got 'mutes' on their overlay or engaging with them in other ways. You know, like a complete mockery of their subhuman status. But then you add some "so wholesome chungus" comments and false interest in learning sign language and we're back to square one.

Senior Lexmechanic

Upgraded with salt extractor
Been a decent surge in deaf interest in terms of Netflix shows and.. Twitch content. Almost like a mascot, a bunch of big VRchat streamers got 'mutes' on their overlay or engaging with them in other ways. You know, like a complete mockery of their subhuman status. But then you add some "so wholesome chungus" comments and false interest in learning sign language and we're back to square one.
I think you made a wrong turn- this is the "laugh at deaf idiots" thread, not the "gas the disabled" thread.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
Sesame Street used to teach sign language along with Spanish. I remember most of the Spanish but almost none of the sign language. I don't think they teach anything but Elmo anymore. :lol:
It's become a shell of its former self. I noticed it also lasts a half hour instead if a full hour too. So sad.