Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Biden avatar like everyone else
HBO is paying for the show now. It gets the new episodes first, but they're letting PBS air them too. It would have been canceled otherwise.
X to doubt. Sesame Street is a merchandising cash cow and the licensing deals pay for its production many times over. I have no idea why they took the HBO deal but if they say "we would have had to cancel it otherwise" they're fucking lying.

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
The King of the Deafies weighs in on the Sia incident, because as with all of these self-obsessed freaks he's the official spokesman for all disabled people while simultaneously telling people not to insert themselves into situations they're not part of

1605958353866.png

The King of the Deafies weighs in on the Sia incident, because as with all of these self-obsessed freaks he's the official spokesman for all disabled people while simultaneously telling people not to insert themselves into situations they're not part of

View attachment 1740809
This fuck really maxes out the "people listen to me because I'm hot and also they feel bad for me" thing, damn. Self-importance to the high heavens. And if someone pointed it out to him he would deny so hard. Like of course it's not because abs + cripple.

View attachment 1740809
The only deaf guy I know in movies is that girl in from A Quiet Place film. She wasn't totally deaf at that, she has an implant and also did her fair share on helping other actors with sign language when they forget their 'lines' behind the scenes. Thanks to that, the characters made their own differences/tics on how they 'say' their 'lines'. The Mother signs graceful/flowly, Father is direct, the son is nervous, and the daughter is normal.
If it was an actual fully deaf (or autistic) guy, thats a whole different can of worms.

At that relating to the thread: I'm also bringing up Hush. Normal woman plays a deaf woman who is a writer, stuck in a cabin. She has to survive against a burglar, who got in just because she couldn't hear him at all.
I would imagine it wouldn't be so hard to guide a deaf actor here instead, since the movie is just mainly silent (aside from some lines from the burglar and the various items) with two characters.
If it was a bigger movie like A Quiet Place or like Sia did, then yeah, thats where problems bigger than "I need a [x] actor for my [x] role" arise.

Hush hits a bit close to home, because the main character actually gets wounded multiple times over the movie since the burglar has a huge advantage over her. She had to rely on her wits and actually corner herself in a room just so he would stop sneaking up on her. It didn't help that, some years ago, my house almost got broken in while I was inside, just for the simple glaring issue that was also pointed out on the movie: I couldn't hear the alarm. Thankfully, guy fled when he saw the porch has a camera recorder.

Last edited: