Dealing with the compromise -

Leibowitz

Devious in his Sanity
kiwifarms.net
The way this post is written shifts the blame entirely on the userbase for not using a VPN and a disposable e-mail address, but the thing is, a lot of people haven't bothered with that because they trusted Null with personal data, which is why hosting this feels like a giant stab in the gut.
Trusting Null to keep your data safe is stupid. Not because Null is inherently untrustworthy, but because entrusting your data to anyone on the internet is a doomed endeavour. If you've somehow managed to browse this site and sign up for an account without realizing this, that is on you.

You are your only advocate on the internet. You are the only one who can always act in your own best interests. Assume anything you put on the internet can be brought to light or exposed in some way and make your decisions accordingly.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
This point has been beaten to death already so my apologise but why does it matter if KF has the doxx? It's not any easier or harder to access to people who actually want to find it, they would of found it without us because it's been spread around so much by people other than us.
No, you have it correct. The people doing their best impression of this gaggle of fuckwits in this thread are just boohooing because they're apparently too autistic or exceptional to understand the point you've made. Or really any of the points that've already been made in this thread.

I've taken my time making this post, but quite frankly I am very dissapointed in Null. I've already disliked the direction the site is going in, and I've expressed my concerns over it, but this is not only unprofessional, but incredibly disrespectful to the community at large. Hosting this file does literally nothing but create an aura of unease over the site, forcing people to not trust each other and discouraging forming actual relationships. I've had many wonderful talks with some of the people on here, but lately there has been a huge influx of users that blatantly disrespect the authority of the site and each other. I really don't want this forum to turn into 4chan 2.0.
>discouraging forming actual relationships

:story:

Holy shit man. You're actually fucking serious.

The way this post is written shifts the blame entirely on the userbase for not using a VPN and a disposable e-mail address, but the thing is, a lot of people haven't bothered with that because they trusted Null with personal data, which is why hosting this feels like a giant stab in the gut.
That's because it is entirely on the userbase. There's been alerts, notices, and the signup warning around for a while now, nobody has an excuse. If you trusted Null with your info when he's repeatedly told the userbase not only that they need to practice opsec but how and why you can't blame anyone else.

Also, at the end of the day, almost the entire userbase are adults. You're responsible for your own fuckups.

Fish-Eyed Fool

How'd you like one across your lip?
kiwifarms.net
I've taken my time making this post, but quite frankly I am very dissapointed in Null. I've already disliked the direction the site is going in, and I've expressed my concerns over it, but this is not only unprofessional, but incredibly disrespectful to the community at large. Hosting this file does literally nothing but create an aura of unease over the site, forcing people to not trust each other and discouraging forming actual relationships. I've had many wonderful talks with some of the people on here, but lately there has been a huge influx of users that blatantly disrespect the authority of the site and each other. I really don't want this forum to turn into 4chan 2.0.

The logical course of action would be alerting users about the leaks and mitigating the damages relating to it. The way this post is written shifts the blame entirely on the userbase for not using a VPN and a disposable e-mail address, but the thing is, a lot of people haven't bothered with that because they trusted Null with personal data, which is why hosting this feels like a giant stab in the gut. Also what Null completely brushes over is that the main reason the site got hacked is because of the setting up of non-Cloudflare domains, which could have been handled SO much better than taking off the security off THE MAIN SITE. I am personally not affected by the leak (it just shows I live in the general region of Moscow, which I've already talked about), so I don't accuse me of being salty. I just wish the speds that go "hurr durr it's ur fault for not being secure" and Null would realize that this kind of shit is unacceptable.

Also didn't you tell @Gengar that you were going to take down the file? Did you backpedal on that?
This is the gayest post I've seen on this board.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Stopping publication at this point would be hypocritical in light of the recent ESA dumps etc, particularly considering it’s just shitty IP/shitmail combos.
Tbh I could care less about perceived hypocrisy. I think the issue is more that doing so has no practical results.

I'm kinda iffy on paying in general for a VPN, part of me always feels a little uneasy about it. Especially since with the breach it feels kinda pointless for most people on the list.
Why? Most of the people in the list are completely unidentifiable if they used a VPN.

Holy shit, is this what surviving Thanos's Snap would feel like?
Thanos hits like a little bitch.

It's kinda me being iffy about my money and privacy I guess even though I've used burners and fake info; I discussed VPNs with a few others before, most say you should pay with bitcoin/crypto/whatever to stay safer and more anonymous since paying with real money is risky (and I don't like bitcoin/crypto).
It's how to avoid any connection between you and the site. You can also use the various free VPNs. While they're arguably honeypots or compromised in some way, you're not facing the NSA here.

Also, using a commonly used service like PIA or Proton means you're sharing IPs with dozens or hundreds of different people. If you use an arguably "better" VPN but nobody else here uses it, you're still partitioning yourself into a smaller user group, so I see no problem with using the freebies.

I legitimately hope none of you were exceptional enough to use IRL first+last name email addresses.
FTFY
I don't know. I hope there's at least one. It's been a while since a good halal.

Trusting Null to keep your data safe is stupid. Not because Null is inherently untrustworthy, but because entrusting your data to anyone on the internet is a doomed endeavour. If you've somehow managed to browse this site and sign up for an account without realizing this, that is on you.
It's XenForo 2. Even a lolcow on tard bucks could probably save up for some hacker to steal the whole database instead of just a weak hack like this. Forum software is never going to be all that secure. Eventually there will be a bigger breach.

I just hope the first really fun zero day gets used on REEEEEra instead.

Spunt

bwup
kiwifarms.net
You guys are all assuming that this site's security hasn't already been breached multiple times by others who have come away with the same information but without telling Null they did it - I always acted assuming my IP address and signup Email were public and I was under the impression that everyone else did too - apparently not.

There are similar session hijacks for Facebook that let anyone with enough technical skill get at least read-only access to any account without FB's security flagging it up. When I found out about this I nuked my Facebook account to the ground and haven't been back since. Your account has probably already been accessed. If you go into the IP logs, look for IPs with log-outs, but no log-ins. Those are intruders (especially if they're Russian VPN exit nodes).

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
For the record, if you live in an area where the government can fuck you over for posting "hate speech" on the web (like in the UK), you should have thought about this before you signed up. And it's not just KF that I'm talking about, I've heard of an Redditor and a few people on Facebook landing in some hot water for offending the troons and SJWs.

Watch where you shit, folks.

Failure_Personified

Shouldn't Be Trusted, Persian Descent
kiwifarms.net

The logical course of action would be alerting users about the leaks and mitigating the damages relating to it. The way this post is written shifts the blame entirely on the userbase for not using a VPN and a disposable e-mail address, but the thing is, a lot of people haven't bothered with that because they trusted Null with personal data, which is why hosting this feels like a giant stab in the gut. Also what Null completely brushes over is that the main reason the site got hacked is because of the setting up of non-Cloudflare domains, which could have been handled SO much better than taking off the security off THE MAIN SITE. I am personally not affected by the leak (it just shows I live in the general region of Moscow, which I've already talked about), so I don't accuse me of being salty. I just wish the speds that go "hurr durr it's ur fault for not being secure" and Null would realize that this kind of shit is unacceptable.

Also didn't you tell @Gengar that you were going to take down the file? Did you backpedal on that?
We voted that he host the leak, and he did. I'm not sure what else you people wanted?
Do you not want Josh to listen to the community?
Then there were complaints after the fact... where were you when we were voting?

When you sign up there's that helpful little page that tells you to practice good OpSec, after Christchurch he even told people if you aren't using a VPN you should (especially in NZ).
He's one person, and as someone who has consulted small businesses on their security, and even patching vulnerabilities in their networks I can tell you; it takes more than one person, and a lot of time. It is unreasonable to think that Josh can keep this site locked down all the time. I agree he could have done the .pl thing better but if not that, something else would have made the site vulnerable... that's called human error.

I trust Josh with my connection logs, I'd trust him with my IP if i could, I'd trust him with my full legal name... if I could. But there will always be bad actors so I don't. Use a VPN, you can get them super cheap or use a proxy, use a fake email, and don't give out your name.
Take responsibility for yourself first and foremost, only you can manage yourself and what you give to strangers.

And of course, with new users come new issues, but the grass is always greener three years ago. I was a mod (on a forum) for many years; I've experienced the same feeling.
This too will pass.

PBJ Sucks

I'm bored, but not enough to be productive
kiwifarms.net
So are there, like, different trophy levels for how much info got put out? I'm pretty sure I saw my account number and not much else. Maybe a participation ribbon?

I think your ip could probably point to your bed and it wouldn't matter. Nobody would believe it does when so many are fake and inaccurate.

Reactions: Dork Of Ages
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino