Dealing with the compromise

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birthday Dickpunch

hugs pls \(ouo)/
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have the feeling ISPs/email providers will fold and give information to law enforcement, even in other countries, even if the request is not legally valid/enforceable. Law enforcement agencies do this a lot. I had an email at posteo (it's in the leak) and they'd provide regular statistics how often they get legally invalid requests from law enforcement around the world to share user information with them. Turns out, almost all requests they get are in some way invalid/not enforceable/way out of line. They probably do this because they get away with it all the time.

Indeed. In my experience, many officers and lawyers are entitled pricks who apparently aren't familiar with all of the relevant laws concerning requests for private information. They have no problem threatening or otherwise intimidating people who block their requests, and unfortunately many people who should know better will release that info because either they also don't know the laws or just assume it's all kosher because cops and lawyers must know what they're talking about and this is probably fine.

The number of times I've seen private information go out that shouldn't have because of morons who don't know better is ridiculous. Never assume your info is safe just because it should be.

Dingo

kiwifarms.net
KF functions fine for me using the TOR browser, sometimes I get redirected to the KF .onion address and sometimes not.

If you're running through a VPN then this site is well worth a look, it has lots of tools to check your anonymity.

WebRTC can leak your real IP address even when you use a VPN.

Last edited:

IMayUseSpaces

found you
kiwifarms.net
Just because people are ranked doesn't mean they forfeit the right to disagree in public. This is not a workplace where "managers" talk amongst themselves only. This is a place where anyone can say their opinion to the userbase without worrying that they'll be disciplined or fall out of the cool kids' circle for merely sharing how they feel with you, me and the rest of the class.
Choosing to 'disagree' publicly right at the exact moment there's a large amount of emotionally charged arguments being thrown Null's way as a staff member is disrespectful, infact I would argue it is just as disrespectful as his vague accusations of Null allowing the userbase to treat the site's authority with, well, disrespect.

Does he have the 'right' to do it? Well, in the context of Kiwi Farms, Null has created a very open environment where users of all standings can share their ideas and thoughts with anyone they want, so long as they follow the guidelines and rules (at least for the most part) and deal with the consequences with some grace. I don't know many communities where you can give it right back to the community head like people do to Null. But when it comes to staff? Call me old-fashioned (at the expense of power-leveling, I'm up there in age), but I've always believed staff members and managers for the most part should shut their fucking mouths when it comes to the boss. Of course they might have their own thoughts on things, but there needs to be a united front to the public, and honestly it's fucking low for this guy to bottle up all of his frustrations and unload it at such a charged time. Very brave of him. Yeah, I bet it's easier to do that when he has tons of other angry users backing him up, and he's a voice among many as opposed to doing it in private in a one-on-one chat, but come on dude, obviously he's had enough of a rapport with Null that he modded him or whatever. THIS is the time he chooses to start agitating in public?

I don't know, might be reading too much into it. Just struck a chord with me is all.

EDIT: Made it clear I'm talking about age, and not something meaningless like sign-up date

Last edited:

SourDiesel

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Choosing to 'disagree' publicly right at the exact moment there's a large amount of emotionally charged arguments being thrown Null's way as a staff member is disrespectful, infact I would argue it is just as disrespectful as his vague accusations of Null allowing the userbase to treat the site's authority with, well, disrespect.

Does he have the 'right' to do it? Well, in the context of Kiwi Farms, Null has created a very open environment where users of all standings can share their ideas and thoughts with anyone they want, so long as they follow the guidelines and rules (at least for the most part) and deal with the consequences with some grace. I don't know many communities where you can give it right back to the community head like people do to Null. But when it comes to staff? Call me old-fashioned (at the expense of power-levelling like a loser, I've been around a long time), but I've always believed staff members and managers for the most part should shut their fucking mouths when it comes to the boss. Of course they might have their own thoughts on things, but there needs to be a united front to the public, and honestly it's fucking low for this guy to bottle up all of his frustrations and unload it at such a charged time. Very brave of him. Yeah, I bet it's easier to do that when he has tons of other angry users backing him up, and he's a voice among many as opposed to doing it in private in a one-on-one chat, but come on dude, obviously he's had enough of a rapport with Null that he modded him or whatever. THIS is the time he chooses to start agitating in public?

I don't know, might be reading too much into it. Just struck a chord with me is all.
You're definitely reading too much into this. And most of it is wrong. If you want to suck Null's dick, just ask him. Hey, you never know?

People need to understand that there's always more to the story behind the scenes than you're aware of and act accordingly. You know what I find disrespectful? The fact that we have all these long time users, staff, etc. complaining and even leaving the site and people like you just assuming, with no information whatsoever, that they must be pussies about the hack or overly emotional or just being disrespectful for no reason whatsoever. People have reasons for doing what they're doing and just because you personally don't know what those reasons are, doesn't mean they suddenly all lost their minds and started acting like assholes out of the blue. It goes to show the amount of respect some people have for others. Have some respect for everyone, not just Null because he's the site owner.

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net

Does he have the 'right' to do it? Well, in the context of Kiwi Farms, Null has created a very open environment where users of all standings can share their ideas and thoughts with anyone they want, so long as they follow the guidelines and rules (at least for the most part) and deal with the consequences with some grace. I don't know many communities where you can give it right back to the community head like people do to Null. But when it comes to staff? Call me old-fashioned (at the expense of power-levelling like a loser, I've been around a long time), but I've always believed staff members and managers for the most part should shut their fucking mouths when it comes to the boss. Of course they might have their own thoughts on things, but there needs to be a united front to the public, and honestly it's fucking low for this guy to bottle up all of his frustrations and unload it at such a charged time. Very brave of him. Yeah, I bet it's easier to do that when he has tons of other angry users backing him up, and he's a voice among many as opposed to doing it in private in a one-on-one chat, but come on dude, obviously he's had enough of a rapport with Null that he modded him or whatever. THIS is the time he chooses to start agitating in public?

This wasn't the only ranked member to have disagreed with Null's decision, and I don't care that they are ranked members. I care that they are as free to say what they want as I am regardless of their rank or join date. Regardless of if I personally agree or not.

IMayUseSpaces

found you
kiwifarms.net
You're definitely reading too much into this. And most of it is wrong. If you want to suck Null's dick, just ask him. Hey, you never know?

People need to understand that there's always more to the story behind the scenes than you're aware of and act accordingly. You know what I find disrespectful? The fact that we have all these long time users, staff, etc. complaining and even leaving the site and people like you just assuming, with no information whatsoever, that they must be pussies about the hack or overly emotional or just being disrespectful for no reason whatsoever. People have reasons for doing what they're doing and just because you personally don't know what those reasons are, doesn't mean they suddenly all lost their minds and started acting like assholes out of the blue. It goes to show the amount of respect some people have for others. Have some respect for everyone, not just Null because he's the site owner.
Holy fuck, get over yourself. You have a site here with 6 years of relatively smooth sailing, entertainment, a space for everyone to share their ideas and opinions to an extent that you really, really would be hard pressed to find anywhere else, and the site owner does something controversial a lot of people disagree with that was voted on by the community and you're all ready to martyr yourselves over it? The whole 'long time users, staff' flexing I've seen from not just you, but quite a few people, is pretty lame too - do people expect Null or anyone who is in his side of the court to read that and be impressed or something? He's already said he doesn't give a fuck for better or for worse, so take that as you will.

If anyone genuinely had real life complications come to them as a direct result of the leak, I blame the hacker, not anyone else, and I blame whoever reached out and caused the complications to come about. I don't think anyone on this site deserves that and I don't wish it on anyone, nor do I think anyone is a 'pussy' for being concerned about the leak and Null posting it. But the level of outrage, vitriol being sent his way, in this topic alone, reminds me of a reddit outrage mob of the week™ or an angry Twitter chain.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net

It's not even an issue of respect, but empathy. And I don't mean touchy-feely bullshit, I mean the literal definition of "being able to understand the thoughts and actions of another being."

I was eager for the last two days to have the Zoe Quinn OP updated to improve readability for new and current readers due to current happenings & hashed out a draft in a private group discussion. The original mod who applied my edits before wasn't responding to my requests for action. Instead of sperging out on them and mass tagging, I thought about the situation and reached out to a secondary option. As it turns out, my secondary staff pick opted for a name change(and that's probably bad that I was able to instantly identify them, but they're likely not a target so whatevs). It occurred to me that the staff is likely working overtime on not only name changes or deletions for themselves or others, but fielding questions/concerns and trying to get answers from null and funnel that down as well. Possibly other responsibilities I don't know about, and covering their own asses.

I respectfully engaged with polite replies and stickers to alert the (now cheaper, beaner) mod when I could catch their attention and got my request fulfilled. It also took two tries because of their sloppy mexican methods, but I digress. The staff here are putting their RL jobs, and depending on their residency, their legal status and lives at risk just to edit your threads about politically-protected genderspecials. If some people want to back out all of a sudden it's probably for a good reason, like the NZ government looking for white male scapegoats to hang in the village square, or distancing ones' self from a bunch of cringy anime speds.

SourDiesel

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy fuck, get over yourself. You have a site here with 6 years of relatively smooth sailing, entertainment, a space for everyone to share their ideas and opinions to an extent that you really, really would be hard pressed to find anywhere else, and the site owner does something controversial a lot of people disagree with that was voted on by the community and you're all ready to martyr yourselves over it? The whole 'long time users, staff' flexing I've seen from not just you, but quite a few people, is pretty lame too - do people expect Null or anyone who is in his side of the court to read that and be impressed or something? He's already said he doesn't give a fuck for better or for worse, so take that as you will.

If anyone genuinely had real life complications come to them as a direct result of the leak, I blame the hacker, not anyone else, and I blame whoever reached out and caused the complications to come about. I don't think anyone on this site deserves that and I don't wish it on anyone, nor do I think anyone is a 'pussy' for being concerned about the leak and Null posting it. But the level of outrage, vitriol being sent his way, in this topic alone, reminds me of a reddit outrage mob of the week™ or an angry Twitter chain.
Get over myself? I'm not the one chastising people for talking back to dear leader.

You don't know what you don't know. Let's just say that, ok? That's all I have to say about that.

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net

@SourDiesel was merely trying to explain how individuals have their own reasons for doing things, and now your argument is all over the place.

This is not corporate, where there is a "face" that anyone is paid for to represent.

Most don't care what your uwu 2017 join date is. If they do care, they can easily look it up. So quit powerleveling it.

And your word-salad screeds reek of Reddit dude. Funny that you brought that up.

IMayUseSpaces

found you
kiwifarms.net
@SourDiesel was merely trying to explain how individuals have their own reasons for doing things, and now your argument is all over the place.

This is not corporate, where there is a "face" that anyone is paid for to represent.
Yeah I got the gist of his point, thanks. He said his piece and I said mine. And you don't need to be a corporate drone taking a paycheck to conduct yourself in a certain manner.

Most don't care what your uwu 2017 join date is. If they do care, they can easily look it up. So quit powerleveling it.
At what point did I ever reference my sign-up date? I only started actively posting and visiting recently anyways so my sign-up date wouldn't even matter. In fact in my last post I was lambasting the tendency of tons of posters in this thread referencing all the 'long time users and staff' that are upset at Null - I thought it was fucking stupid a minority of long time users were flexing their positions of influence, ie. power-leveling, to try and sway the court of opinion.

And your word-salad screeds reek of Reddit dude. Funny that you brought that up.
It's funny that I brought up one of the largest online communities in the world known for their hair trigger outrage mobs as an example? And yeah I have a tendency to make long-winded posts, I don't think posters on reddit are the only people who do that but whatever.

EDIT: I re-read the post that you rated with TMI, I see exactly what part you're talking about. When I said 'I'm old fashioned' and 'I've been around a long time', I meant age wise - was prefacing my opinion with the fact I might have a different mindset than some people when it came to staff speaking out publicly, so I was acknowledging maybe my views in that area are outdated. I see why that part of my post looked like I was talking about my sign-up date.

Last edited:

Tetra

Ship enthusiast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, @Null please fix the password reset. It keeps freezing the browser after about 40+ characters. I think its because of the complexity check. It got super annoying how long it took after 200+ characters.

Because I can.

Also just make it not check after like 30 or 40 characters any more because whats the point i checking password strength after that...

calling it now, this guy saw the "use a phase not a random string of letters" tip from the OP and got the idea to use the declaration of independence as his password

Last edited:

Elhaym

kiwifarms.net
My VPN weeps.

Also, for anyone who's just looking to see if they're on the IP list here you go (7,216 lines total):

Check both the UserID and Username to be sure.

I am so much of a lurker I didn't make the list. Which actually makes me a little sad because since I used the lolcow email service and I use a VPN they wouldn't have gotten anything.

soft kitty

1 like = 1 pet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Counter Point:

Just because you can't pronounce my name and don't find it easy to say doesn't mean I can't pronounce my name and don't find it easy to say.

Also, @Null please fix the password reset. It keeps freezing the browser after about 40+ characters. I think its because of the complexity check. It got super annoying how long it took after 200+ characters.
kill yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.