Dealing with the compromise

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Counter Point:

Just because you can't pronounce my name and don't find it easy to say doesn't mean I can't pronounce my name and don't find it easy to say.

Also, @Null please fix the password reset. It keeps freezing the browser after about 40+ characters. I think its because of the complexity check. It got super annoying how long it took after 200+ characters.

You're pretending to be retarded, right?

PROTIP: there is absolutely no utility in what you claim to be doing.

Apteryx Owenii

I still don't know what sneed means, don't @ me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Logless VPN providers can't provide that information...
Presumably they could be served with a subpoena for information going forward, though? I don't know if their system would preclude even that.
One might hope they pull a Lavabit and shut down rather than comply with a secret order but I'm not sure I trust it.
Then again I'm on a shitposting site and I'm neither a terrorist nor pedo so I'm not too worried about state actors.

So is it wrong to dead name people who changed names in the panic?

I hope not. My leaked shit wasn't personally identifiable but I figured I was better safe than sorry and took the opportunity for a name change away from the CWC-themed handle I originally picked- tags and quotes still remain though. For those who were really doxed and changed I think the best they can expect is to make things more difficult and annoying for the furries or whomever is coming for them.

Kamov Ka-52

Killed by Ukrainian MANPADS
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You're definitely reading too much into this. And most of it is wrong. If you want to suck Null's dick, just ask him. Hey, you never know?

People need to understand that there's always more to the story behind the scenes than you're aware of and act accordingly. You know what I find disrespectful? The fact that we have all these long time users, staff, etc. complaining and even leaving the site and people like you just assuming, with no information whatsoever, that they must be pussies about the hack or overly emotional or just being disrespectful for no reason whatsoever. People have reasons for doing what they're doing and just because you personally don't know what those reasons are, doesn't mean they suddenly all lost their minds and started acting like assholes out of the blue. It goes to show the amount of respect some people have for others. Have some respect for everyone, not just Null because he's the site owner.
It would help if they didn't insist on vagueposting about it rather than stating their grievances like adults.

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net
Holy fuck, get over yourself. You have a site here with 6 years of relatively smooth sailing, entertainment, a space for everyone to share their ideas and opinions to an extent that you really, really would be hard pressed to find anywhere else, and the site owner does something controversial a lot of people disagree with that was voted on by the community and you're all ready to martyr yourselves over it? The whole 'long time users, staff' flexing I've seen from not just you, but quite a few people, is pretty lame too - do people expect Null or anyone who is in his side of the court to read that and be impressed or something? He's already said he doesn't give a fuck for better or for worse, so take that as you will.

Six years of "relatively smooth sailing?" Like in 2017 when Josh temporarily shut down the site because cray people doxed his family members and caused RL consequences? Like in March when he told New Zealand to fuck off over user data? How about a month later when a crazed troon's prepaid legal letter led to him having to rebuild his whole datacenter? That does not sound like "smooth sailing."

And no one came in showing off their badges for the hell of it nor did they show disrespect to Null by merely saying "what the fuck." People disagreed because he hosted the dox when he had said he'd never leak user data. They disagreed because he de-hosted the dox after deciding to host it. No one's trying to ramp up a Twitter/Reddit outrage mob over that as you alleged.

Finally, as much as you focus on "long-time users," you're focusing instead on your chronological age to explain your "old-fashioned" view that at least "staff" can't criticize in your words, "the boss." That's not a generation-dependent morality. It is simply your view.

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net
as opposed to

...his/her join date.

I thought it was a join-date brag at first. That's what I thought they meant by "I've been around for a while."

But then they clarified it with "I'm up there in age" and THAT's why he/she holds this "old-fashioned" view. No, this isn't a unified Boomer view. Your views are your own regardless of your age, color, join date or any other factor. Take responsibility for your views if you're going to state them.

heathercho

いいゆだね!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It would help if they didn't insist on vagueposting about it rather than stating their grievances like adults.

People should certainly call others faggots to their face. But then there are people who don't like fighting and they whine about arguments. You should certainly call them faggots also.

If someone is doing something cringey, no matter who they are, people should just say it, instead of being "worried" that they're a mod.
Mods are certainly, also, faggots.

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net
I didn't leak shit.

I didn't mean to imply that, just acknowledging that the leak is a public one.

I didn't take issue with your initial decision to host the leak. You didn't leak it. Someone else did. Far cry from Christchurch IMO.
I also thought it was fine that you elected to remove it.

IMayUseSpaces

found you
kiwifarms.net
Six years of "relatively smooth sailing?" Like in 2017 when Josh temporarily shut down the site because cray people doxed his family members and caused RL consequences? Like in March when he told New Zealand to fuck off over user data? How about a month later when a crazed troon's prepaid legal letter led to him having to rebuild his whole datacenter? That does not sound like "smooth sailing."
Uh, FUCK yes. For the userbase, it was smooth sailing, but for Josh it certainly wasn't. In the past decade, you know as well as I do that countless communities were shuttered for wrongthink and people in Josh's position were left destitute, in prison, or worse. The fact that he's a free man and Kiwi Farms is still going in this political climate with very few interruptions is enormous.

And when we're arguing about the merits of Null's tenure as administrator and specifically whether or not it was 'smooth sailing' as I put it a few times, it's not a good look for your argument to bring up times where Null went through serious hardship and/or stood his ground against outside actors and the userbase on the other hand was minimally affected, just to have you years later use it as ammunition in an argument and go "See! See! We suffered!". It makes you come off as entitled, which is the entire crux of my argument.

People disagreed because he hosted the dox when he had said he'd never leak user data.
I agree with you. Null just addressed you on the leaking point but subbing in the word 'protect' for 'leak' makes this the one point that has made me apprehensive.

Finally, as much as you focus on "long-time users," you're focusing instead on your chronological age to explain your "old-fashioned" view that at least "staff" can't criticize in your words, "the boss." That's not a generation-dependent morality. It is simply your view.
Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one. I really don't care enough to debate this point beyond the anecdotal. Null isn't beyond criticism by his staff, but I don't believe in it being done publicly and at such a charged time. Yes, this viewpoint is absolutely held by many in my generation, specifically that you respect the command structure - but I never went so far as to broadly say it was 'generation dependent'. Don't equate me trying to put context to my statements to not taking responsibility for them, that is disingenuous - I was very clearly acknowledging I may be outdated in my thinking and was open to criticism in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.