Dealing with the compromise

2nd_time_user

Equitably diffident
kiwifarms.net
Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one. I really don't care enough to debate this point beyond the anecdotal. Null isn't beyond criticism by his staff, but I don't believe in it being done publicly and at such a charged time. Yes, this viewpoint is absolutely held by many in my generation, specifically that you respect the command structure - but I never went so far as to broadly say it was 'generation dependent'. Don't equate me trying to put context to my statements to not taking responsibility for them, that is disingenuous - I was very clearly acknowledging I may be outdated in my thinking and was open to criticism in that regard.

OK here's the criticism you say you're open to. This "command structure" mentality depends on the person and their background/personality more than age. Many Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z hold these views. Many do not. "Many" is a useless deflecting qualifier here.

The last time this "command structure" as you describe it was widely predominant to the point you could say "almost all" was with 20-somethings in the mid-1960s. Most people across all generations don't want to hear from some crotchety rando grandpa powerleveling age. And maybe you're going to say, "hey wait, I was 21 in 1975 or 1980 and 'many' applied." See above, but the other point is that your audience includes people whose PARENTS were in preschool then. You wanna have a command argument, you shouldn't have made it on "listen here whippersnapper." Because by and large most people don't give a shit about old people online.

IMayUseSpaces

found you
kiwifarms.net
OK here's the criticism you say you're open to. This "command structure" mentality depends on the person and their background/personality more than age. Many Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z hold these views. Many do not. "Many" is a useless deflecting qualifier here.

The last time this "command structure" as you describe it was widely predominant to the point you could say "almost all" was with 20-somethings in the mid-1960s. Most people across all generations don't want to hear from some crotchety rando grandpa powerleveling age. And maybe you're going to say, "hey wait, I was 21 in 1975 or 1980 and 'many' applied." See above, but the other point is that your audience includes people whose PARENTS were in preschool then. You wanna have a command argument, you shouldn't have made it on "listen here whippersnapper." Because by and large most people don't give a shit about old people online.
Very interesting points to consider, but keep in mind these are Western perspectives and may not apply to my background, despite my current country of residence. This isn't a 'gotcha' moment, I just didn't disclose it initially - doesn't change what I said above about considering your words.

Anyways, I concede that my language certainly may have come off as inflammatory or patronizing at times, but I did enjoy our discourse. It certainly gave me an opportunity for introspection. Now's as good a time as any for me to bow out. I've said what I wanted to say.

In closing, I empathize with anyone included in the leaks, since I was too. I'm actually aware of some of what SourDiesel is talking about, I just didn't feel the need to feed into such dramatic theatrics - like a user said above, vague grievances relayed by third parties solves nothing.

My point is, I totally get the points made here, but l think because a lot of us are worried and angry we're losing perspective of the awesome times had here and the countless other times Null was right on the money. He was a bit tone deaf this time, but in light of the past, we can't scale down the vitriol? Or better yet, give him a pass?

Anyways, not my call to make. Stay safe everyone.

DrainRedRain

im slenderman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
you know, i just find it extremely funny that some people will scream like chimpanzees ''lol calm down, don't take things seriously don't u know where u are'' and some of the same people will then turn around and bitch about ''hosting info'' (useless info, lets be honest) throwing a tard fit and DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING over literally nothing.

guess some people don't do what they preach

Dorothy's Handbasket

One of the 4,611
kiwifarms.net
I see my username on the list but I’m not clear what it means even after reading every post in this thread. I have the general impression I should dig a moat, but if it’s just my IP that’s been disclosed, a moat around my home may be suspicious to the feds who are closing in. I just watched Snowden for insight. Help me out. What level of panic should I be at? Should I just act casual when I’m being trailed in the produce section of the grocery store or do I knock over the apples and make a run for it?

Before anyone tags this as dumb, I’m kind of not joking. I’m not technical. I have no idea what most of this thread meant.

wabbits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Might be good to remember that some of the users who killed their accounts opened new accounts.

Their goal was to dissociate from a hacked account's content that might be used against them in some way in the future, not to leave KF.

They can't chime in here to soothe fee-fees without making that whole exercise pointless, but not all of the Gone Ones are gone.

DumbDude42

kiwifarms.net
you know, i just find it extremely funny that some people will scream like chimpanzees ''lol calm down, don't take things seriously don't u know where u are'' and some of the same people will then turn around and bitch about ''hosting info'' (useless info, lets be honest) throwing a tard fit and DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING over literally nothing.
like i said earlier, if someone resides in NZ or UK and has their info leaked, and has previously posted edgy stuff related to the christchurch attacks, it would theoretically be possible for the local authorities to come after them using some law against "glorification of terrorism" they probably have over there..
i'm not saying that it's sure to happen, it's actually pretty unlikely, but it is in the realm of possibility. in that case, going full DFE on the compromised account is the best (and only) thing they can do now in terms of damage control.

@Dorothy's Handbasket
an IP alone is not enough to track your actual identity down, at most it points to what general area you live in and which ISP you use.

Last edited:

DrainRedRain

im slenderman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
like i said earlier, if someone resides in NZ or UK

i'm talking specifically about the ones we all know didn't live in NZ or UK. i will never criticize someone who deleted out of fear from their government, because this would be low from my part.
i was talking about the ones who talked big but couldn't endure a little heat.

Lurker

there it is again, that funny feeling
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
huehueheue i may have been on the list but all they're gonna get is a lolcow email and an IP address that means jack shit

(i mean yeah i also forgot my password and couldn't log in for like a week but it's okay, i'm here now, and i know everyone cares about that)

W

WW 635

kiwifarms.net

guess some people don't do what they preach
What I find even funnier are the ones who screamed for the data to be hosted, only to delete their accounts shortly thereafter (before Null took the link to the data out of the OP)

W

WW 635

kiwifarms.net
do we have a list of those people that we can shame and make fun of
I do not have a list but there were a few. You can see the deleted accounts talking to each other in the early pages of the thread requesting the hosting (just ignore the one that started the thread since we know who that belongs to).

One notable one that I do remember was Jesus Wept because he was so fucking annoying about it and even more vocal than Dyn. Then he came into the chat after the hosting to brag about how he had already been doxed by /cow/ years ago. Shortly following that his account was deleted and users were talking about how he was just doxed by Tommy Tooter of all people.