Death Battle / Death Battle Cast / DBX / Desk Of Death Battle - Testing weapons, armor, and skills on the Internet.

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen this made. And as a fan of the show, I'd like to think that there's a place for a thread for this show here. mainly because you gotta laugh at the stuff you enjoy, right?

Death Battle is a web show that began in 2010 on ScrewAttack. Created by Ben Singer, the show features fictional characters fighting to the death to see who would win based on extensive research, similar to how Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior would test the weapon's of history's greatest fighters to see who'd take the victory. The first battle was Boba Fett from Star Wars vs Samus Aran from the Metroid series. It featured Ben as Wiz, the host of the show, and Chad James as the show's co-host Boomstick. Ben would animate the first episode himself.
Following that first episode, Death Battle would expand to anime, movies, comics, and Western animation. In addition, Wiz would be presented as a mad scientist while Boomstick was presented as a redneck whose dad abandoned him and has a love for weapons and booze. As for the episodes, they'd get actual animators, expand to 3D, and even remastered that first fight.

Today, Death Battle has grown to become on the biggest names in the versus community. Over the course of this decade, ScrewAttack has managed to become a division of online entertainment company Rooster Teeth ScrewAttack has rebranded as Death Battleand three new spinoff shows have been created: DBX, which is doing battles with zero research, Death Battle Cast, a weekly podcast that features the hosts and writers and most notably, a preview of the fight the episode before a new fight, and answering fan questions the first episode after a fight, and The Desk Of Death Battle, which features facts and trivia that didn't make the final cut, hosted by Jocelyn the Intern.

Notable fights I think are worth mentioning are Goku vs Superman and its sequel, which is considered one of the biggest episodes done by the show and one of the biggest vs debates out there.

(GvS 2 debuted at a convention, in case you're wondering)​
There's also Mario vs Sonic, which was both the 100th episode of the series and the debut of Wiz and Boomstick being on camera.
EDIT: Someone mentioned Nightwing vs Daredevil, which was done in live action.

As for controversy, yeah it's there. Some people have disputed Death Battle's conclusions because...who would win in a fight? Notable controversies include the aforementioned Goku vs Superman and Garra from Naruto vs Toph Bei Fong from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Perhaps the biggest controversy that isn't "they got this wrong" is Yang Xiao Long from RWBY vs Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy VII due to it dropping around the time the channel formerly known as ScrewAttack had become a division of Rooster Teeth and shortly before RWBY's third volume was about to premiere...along with the normal "they got this wrong" shit.
New episodes drop every three weeks with the preceding two weeks dedicated to previewing the two combatants. The fights are uploaded to Rooster Teeth's website for First members (RT's premium member service) on Monday and uploaded to YouTube on Wednesday.

1. The warriors can only know of each other if they do know each other in canon in both official universes
    * . Otherwise, they cannot know each other's movesets. Even if they do know of each other in canon, no one is allowed to prepare for the fight* * .
    • B. The script for the dialogue has been known to ignore this rule, with characters calling each other by name* and/or referencing their internet rivalry* , but per rule 8, the fight animation should be regarded as pure spectacle, and this will thus not influence the final verdict.
    • C. To prevent fighters from exploiting weaknesses of others for a cheap victory, a character's weaknesses normally only come into play if the enemy can find a way to detect a weakness* or if there is a specific reason why it cannot be exploited* . Other than that, if a combatant survives a match long enough, they may discover a way to counter the fighting style of their opponent* .
    [*][*]A battle has to end with the loser dying — though not necessarily at the hands of the winner* —, or at least be rendered unable to continue the fight in the relevant planes of battle.* * * . There are two major exceptions to this: the more comical No Fourth Wall "Deadpool vs. Pinkie Pie" episode, and the "Chuck Norris vs. Segata Sanshiro" episode. (The latter due to the fight moving beyond mortal perceptions.)
    [*]Pacifist warriors will not have their peaceful nature interrupt the fight, and both combatants will have any personality restraints from killing removed* . However, if their traditional arsenal uses nonlethal weapons, they cannot change it unless they are able to summon it at a moment's notice per rule 6-B, and will have to fight using this nonlethal arsenal.
    [*]All consistent and canon sources available during the time of the episode's release will be examined by the hosts, Non-canon sources will be allowed only insofar as they do not conflict with canon* * . Characters with multiple incarnations, such as Link, Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Godzilla, will be compositescombining the best aspects of their various incarnations, unless said incarnation is drastically different from other incarnations. If a specific incarnation of a character is chosen, the canon used will most likely be the most popular depiction* . The research will avoid biases.
    • B. If one warrior is allowed abilities from a non-canon source, the other warrior must be allowed to use their own non-canon sources as well.
    • C. Also, if a certain depiction of the warrior has them ridiculously overpowered or inconsistent* , or powers that would be difficult to examine logically* , then it will not be used.
    • D. Not every weapon owned by the warriors in every canon will be used. Instead, only the ones they are commonly using or their best or most iconic weapons* will be used.
    • E. If a warrior originated from non-English language media, the English dub will not be used if it contradicts the original source in any way* .
    • F. A piece of media that claims to be canon but clearly isn't will be avoided* . Also alternate forms of media might be avoided if they are inconsistent with the main media series* .
    • G. Because the warriors are examined by their latest depiction, they cannot use abilities that they canonically lost in their past* .
    • H. Claims made by fans will only be considered canon if the official franchise or character from an official source recognizes it as such.
    [*][*]To get as many common abilities as possible, the warrior will be shown at their latest depictions or their oldest age as an active warrior* * . However, "future canon" will be avoided if it unbalances the fight, because while some characters will gain more power* , other characters will grow old and weak* .
    • B. In the case of the animation battles, a character's depiction in the end fight is limited by what sprites are available for them* , this does not influence the final result per rule 8.
    [*][*]Unless the battle asks for multiple characters for each side* , the combatants must fight alone, even if they are used to fighting with a partner* .
    • B. While fighters start out only with their standard kit, as defined by rule 4-D, if they possess a means to obtain, or summon to their side, additional equipment at a moment's notice and without outside preparatory time or aid, then it is fair game for them to use it* * , opponents may interfere with this if they are capable of doing so* .
    • C. One exception is if the fighter uses a creature for an attack that can reasonably be replaced by a non-combatant projectile* , or when the act would fall under using the environment to their advantage* , but the fighter cannot be dependent on these creatures and, in cases of summoning as an attack, the creatures cannot act on their own* .
    • D. Another exception is if the other ally is, or can be used as, a living or sentient weapon or suit of armor* . In these situations, the ally cannot fight independently unless the nature of the battle calls for it per the main rule.
    • E. Another exception can be if summoning is integral to the character as a primary method of combat in-universe* .
    [*][*]The terrain chosen in the fight will either be a terrain from the fighters' franchises or would be a location that both warriors are experienced in. The area itself however doesn't matter nor play any role in determining the outcome of the battle, and even the entire battle itself is just a visual representation of the researchers' conclusions per rule 8. The environment only becomes important if a character's skills use it, like with Leonardo hiding in the shadows, Chun-Li/Mai wall-jumping, or Gaara/Toph using it as a primary means of combat. Two exceptions exist to this:
    • If the fight can't take place in neutral territory because it would render one of the combatants unable to exists in a fight-capable form there, it won't be* .
    • If a fighter has the ability (usually via teleportation) to change the environment into one specifically favorable to them, they'll be able to do so normally* .
    [*][*]The fight at the end of the episode is not what determines the victor in battle. It is nothing more than a fun little dramatization showcasing most if not all of the research displayed beforehand of the combatants in action. The winners are determined before the battle through quasi-scientific analysis of their abilities, and the character with the objectively better abilities will win.

Last edited:

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

...Hot Pooey
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've never understood the appeal of these, IMO its just a fandom dick measuring contest saying "OMG MY CHARACTER IS BETTER"
I don't care if Batman can beat Superman or whatever/

That and this was more or less the death of Screwattack by making these.

If you can enjoy these, good for you.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
God so much of Death Battle is garbage cause many of their fights gave clear advantages to one character by underestimating the abilities of the other.

It doesn't help that speds justify why their characters are great because of these or throw tantrums that their favorite character didn't win like when Superman beat Goku or Mario beat Sonic.

Tism the Return

your favorite 60 years old Mega Man boss
kiwifarms.net
Death Battle is terrible. The 3D animation is terrible, sometimes the 2D animation is alright or good but the fucking dialogue is awful. The personalities hosting it are awful, not only in the videos but outside of them too. The logic employed in the videos is also awful which makes the already terrible community surrounding the topic of VS debates you guess it, terrible.

The Thundercats episode was actually really good though, if only because they managed to channel some of the camp into the actual fight which made it fun to sit through.

• Agree
Reactions: Pixy Misa

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
Yep and either the remake came due to them running out of ideas or salty mario speds
You ever think there'll come a time where they'll run out of ideas?
Death Battle is terrible. The 3D animation is terrible, sometimes the 2D animation is alright or good but the fucking dialogue is awful. The personalities hosting it are awful, not only in the videos but outside of them too. The logic employed in the videos is also awful which makes the already terrible community surrounding the topic of VS debates you guess it, terrible.
To each their own, buddy. I couldn't care enough to bitch or debate about this stuff.

• Feels
Reactions: Tism the Return

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Knows Kung-Flu
kiwifarms.net
You just unearthed some memories for me.
Say what you will about them, and believe me I understand the criticisms, but at least they actually got the things animated. You barely see actual finished animations in things about ‘who would win’ arguments. For that, I can respect them.
But; they had the same problem as Game Theory to an extent, the fun little thought experiments about fictional characters being treated to seriously by the fans. I never watched it to see who would actually win in a fight, I watched to see the actual fights and whatever bullshit the comic book writers did that raised someone’s power level. It was fun, but that’s about all it was.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I used to enjoy these somewhat until they started (poorly) animating Wiz and Boomstick. It was a lot more fun when they were disembodied voices.

It also had this nasty habit of doing one-sided fights where you could tell one character was basically going to lose. The worst example was Ace from One Piece versus Natsu from Fairy Tail, where the latter is basically invincible to fire. Like holy shit, who could possibly predict the outcome of that, huh? It got to the point I started to tune out because I got sick of seeing that sort of thing. You did get occasional surprises, like claiming that Dante would defeat Bayonetta, but, like the example I just mentioned, it would be total bullshit.

Chin of Campbell

I'm out.
kiwifarms.net
This is wank at its finest, but I think it's simultaneously too autistic and not autistic enough for me to enjoy.

On one hand, I don't care who could beat who, it's just e-dick console wars-tier fanfiction.

On the other, if you are going to make things like these, you should do them properly. They match characters up based entirely on popularity or visual similarity and take literally every source imaginable as canon.

Samus Aran and Star Wars Man look similar but Samus is so insanely powerful that any fight she's in is going to end with her boot in someone's colon. Star Wars has Baby's First Energy Weapons and Samus keeps about 250 high explosive missiles in her pocket. Samus walks around in lava like it's pudding and Star Wars Man fell in a hole once and died.

Kenshiro and Jotaro is another example of this, since even though Jotaro is in the upper level of Stand Users, Hokuto Shinken and Kenshiro himself are so ridiculously powerful that they even had trouble justifying a full fight. Kenshiro's entire gimmick is that if he even touches you you're dead. Should have had him fight Giorno, honestly, but then that probably tilts things too far in the other direction.

Goddamn it, now I got tard cum everywhere.

the autist of dojima

Me? Im already half shitpost
kiwifarms.net
Would you consider DB bitching worse than Smash bitching?
They are the same thing with just a different name
My [insert character] deserves to [win/be in smash] because he [insert stupid power level garbage]
Atleast smash isnt always a popularity contest in contrast with
DB and their stupid reasonings instead of just saying X character is more popular and thats why they "won"

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
I used to enjoy these somewhat until they started (poorly) animating Wiz and Boomstick. It was a lot more fun when they were disembodied voices.

It also had this nasty habit of doing one-sided fights where you could tell one character was basically going to lose. The worst example was Ace from One Piece versus Natsu from Fairy Tail, where the latter is basically invincible to fire. Like holy shit, who could possibly predict the outcome of that, huh? It got to the point I started to tune out because I got sick of seeing that sort of thing. You did get occasional surprises, like claiming that Dante would defeat Bayonetta, but, like the example I just mentioned, it would be total bullshit.
My thing is this: I think that some of the battles are done without knowing that it's obvious, in that you don't know about the obvious win until you start digging (though that may be because I don't give too much of a shit about this rabbit hole).
The Marvel vs DC dick measuring contest got old really quick.
Yeah that's one thing I'll give the haters. Constantly doing Marvel vs DC seems pretty lazy if you ask me. That being said, how many matchups can Marvel vs DC provide and is there something like Marvel vs DC that can be farmed and m I l k e d until the end of time?

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
My thing is this: I think that some of the battles are done without knowing that it's obvious, in that you don't know about the obvious win until you start digging (though that may be because I don't give too much of a shit about this rabbit hole).
I don't know, half the time I don't know shit about these characters and after all the descriptions I still end up predicting the winner.

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
This is wank at its finest, but I think it's simultaneously too autistic and not autistic enough for me to enjoy.

On one hand, I don't care who could beat who, it's just e-dick console wars-tier fanfiction.

On the other, if you are going to make things like these, you should do them properly. They match characters up based entirely on popularity or visual similarity and take literally every source imaginable as canon.

Samus Aran and Star Wars Man look similar but Samus is so insanely powerful that any fight she's in is going to end with her boot in someone's colon. Star Wars has Baby's First Energy Weapons and Samus keeps about 250 high explosive missiles in her pocket. Samus walks around in lava like it's pudding and Star Wars Man fell in a hole once and died.

Kenshiro and Jotaro is another example of this, since even though Jotaro is in the upper level of Stand Users, Hokuto Shinken and Kenshiro himself are so ridiculously powerful that they even had trouble justifying a full fight. Kenshiro's entire gimmick is that if he even touches you you're dead. Should have had him fight Giorno, honestly, but then that probably tilts things too far in the other direction.

Goddamn it, now I got tard cum everywhere.
Like I said, some may not see the obvious win coming, and poularity/visual similarity/thematic things/similar powers and movesets is I think the appeal of the battles in the first place.

La Luz Extinguido

There are no innocents
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Iriya Asagao

I'll eat those brats alive
kiwifarms.net
Gaara vs Toph video still left a bitter taste on my tongue
That video was poorly researched and whoever this content creator have lost all credibility

Tags
None