Debate user FuckedUp on whether Scott Pilgrim is good -

crocodilian

K. K. K.an't Edit Posts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unlike every other series in existence, I've never heard anyone say anything remotely bad about it.
Every character is obnoxious, immature or one-dimensional (sometimes all three.) The protagonist is especially unlikable. It's over-saturated in high school drama that never promotes meaningful character growth, nor does it ever really convey a meaningful message. Everything that happens in the world of Scott Pilgrim involves annoying, petty characters fighting among themselves for equally-as-petty reasons, all while asking the reader to take much of it seriously. The author is aware of this, so he tries his absolute best to cover everything in glitz, praying it's distracting enough to keep everybody from spotting fundamental flaws. The problem with that, however, is the author has no real frame of reference beyond shallow pop culture references (chiefly video games) and things only a teenager would find intriguing, which only makes his efforts to compensate for a sub-par story, world and cast come off as shallow.

There's clearly a market for Scott Pilgrim, but as that audience grows up I can't imagine them looking back on their enjoyment of this and not feeling embarrassed.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a product of its time. No one really cares about it now of days. That's why no one has anything bad to say about it. Give another decade and it might be revisited by the populous.
If it weren't for that Ramona Flowers song Negative XP did last year and the SJW's/punk scene's (tbh, punks and SJW's are one and the same now) collective chimpout over it, I honestly think Scott Pilgrim would end up completely forgotten and irrelevant or at best would be seen as a weird curiosity of its time like Howard The Duck or Tennessee Tuxedo.

Rand /pol/

RIP Corrugated Daffodils, Teri-Teri, & Cinderblock
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

ZombiefiedFerret

Itchy. Tasty.
kiwifarms.net
If it weren't for that Ramona Flowers song Negative XP did last year and the SJW's/punk scene's (tbh, punks and SJW's are one and the same now) collective chimpout over it, I honestly think Scott Pilgrim would end up completely forgotten and irrelevant or at best would be seen as a weird curiosity of its time like Howard The Duck or Tennessee Tuxedo.
The only time I hear Scott Pilgrim being mentioned is in context of the game and that's only because it got fucking yanked from everywhere.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
This might just be me, but the what I got out of the comics was that most of the characters being shitty people was kind of the point. As the comic goes on, we learn that Scott is a legitimately 'off' guy, that Ramona is broken, and that they need to change that about themselves.
I thought they were well done, almost a commentary on 'modern' heroes, but that could just be me reading into it in a different direction than what was intended.

Last edited:

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well it did ruin an entire generation of women
I think it ruined men more than it did women. The whole story was the author's fap fic where the interesting, hot, amazing dream girl falls in love with a mediocre, boring, white-bread guy because "he's nice". How many incels demand their own personal Ramona Flowers despite being bottom of the barrel themselves? How many soyboys line the coffers of various eThots because they have blue hair? How many trannies initially has Ramona as their anime girl icon that thought they would transition into?

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Scott pilgrim is like the prototype for all of the tumblr and Calarts bullshit we see everywhere. The faux-chibi art style, overindulgence in retro vidya and anime references, shitty cast and punk rock aesthetic seem to all stem from either Scott Pilgrim itself or something like it which I haven't seen.
That said, it's still made somewhat distinct from quat you'll see from the worst of that crowd it seems to have spawned. The characters themselves do change at least somewhat, the humor and writing are relatively self aware of their counterculture and poke fun at it, and there isn't any real mary sue mouthpiece or overt political message. Hell, there's literally only one minority who acts as a major character and she's Asian clearly marking how the author literally doesn't know any black people. Its perplexingly honest in those regards even if it did herald a cancer on our consciousness.

Tags
None