Decent Dollar Store Treats or Decent off-brand alternatives to what we usually eat -

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I feel a lil cheap so I resort to getting cheaper snacks or alternatives in places like Aldi, or anywhere you shop that has this kind of less expensive off-brand stuff.

I think I found some decent stuff but i wanna see what y'all found personally if you followed a similar adventure at least once or more
Have you ever found something cheaper than what youd usually get and had a good experience with it or a bad one? What was it and why? Is there ever a scenario where you prefer the off-brand/cheap knock-off version?

So far , my best experiences were with certain Great Value (potato chips, fudge mint cookies, butter, etc) , Delicious deal products (honey buns, "buddy bars") , and some stuff that I feel were decent (not ideal) replacements to certain snacks I eat (duplex cremes, etc)
Would be interesting to see if anyone else has any recommendations or commentary

Last edited:
Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

Some Manajerk

kiwifarms.net
if you're a fan of those "Chicken in a biscuit" crackers, dollar general has off brand ones that taste just as good for about half the price.

hard candies tend to be just as good, but chocolate is very much hit or miss. I'd almost say it depends on what time of year you buy it, it gets good around easter and christmas but most of the rest of the year it tastes bland to bad.

Dick Pooman

Muchacho Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is kinda out there, but I happened upon a YouTube channel that sometimes makes popular prison recipes from things that prisoners can buy at the prison commissary. It seems like more than two thirds of the things they use in these recipes can only be found at the dollar store. It's something to look up if you're feeling adventurous. The stuff I've tried is actually decent.

Coh

Patron Saint of Shitposting
kiwifarms.net
This is kinda out there, but I happened upon a YouTube channel that sometimes makes popular prison recipes from things that prisoners can buy at the prison commissary. It seems like more than two thirds of the things they use in these recipes can only be found at the dollar store. It's something to look up if you're feeling adventurous. The stuff I've tried is actually decent.
What's the name of the channel? I'm actually kind of interested in trying this.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the candy at Dollarama is essentially just the same candy you can get everywhere else, but cheaper and sometimes in a smaller bag than the same brand at Walmart or Loblaws (although candies like Skittles are in the same medium-size bags).

I like the thin Andes mint chocolates that Dollarama sells in bags for a dollar. Dollarama D Gourmet chips are also great, better than Lays.

thismanlies

Butcher Sacred Cows for they are Sacred.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Dollar Tree steaks are pretty good in noodle bowls.

Kroger's store brands are usually pretty good.
That's not a bad idea. Get a packet of noodles and a steak. If you buy a bowl too, that's a three dollar meal with a rich source of protein.

Lord knows those things need the flavor. I bought two of those and marinated one to see what would happen. Let's just say that 30% "solution" they put in those really doesn't do them any favors.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
The Dollar Tree steaks are pretty good in noodle bowls.
Do U.S. Dollar Trees sell refrigerated/frozen perishable food (Canadian Dollar Tree stores don't aside from maybe ice cream bars) or are you talking about some freeze-dried steak abominations?

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
For those of us that live in the UK (Stop pretending you don't, it's not like its fucking France or somewhere) and love Jelly Belly Beans but hate the fact that a single shrink wrapped bean costs as much as a used car, head on down to fucking Aldi and buy some Dominion brand (Aldi's own brand for sweets) Jelly Beans, they're a quid for a honking great sack and honestly, better than Jelly Belly in every single fucking way. There are two varieties, Normal and Sour and they're both awesome.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
"Chestnut Hill" brand is the same stuff as the name brands. I buy canned meat and soups with that brand.

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
For those of us that live in the UK (Stop pretending you don't, it's not like its fucking France or somewhere) and love Jelly Belly Beans but hate the fact that a single shrink wrapped bean costs as much as a used car, head on down to fucking Aldi and buy some Dominion brand (Aldi's own brand for sweets) Jelly Beans, they're a quid for a honking great sack and honestly, better than Jelly Belly in every single fucking way. There are two varieties, Normal and Sour and they're both awesome.
I buy a few of these every time I'm down Aldi, and the sours are fantastic.

Reactions: A Owl

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
I buy a few of these every time I'm down Aldi, and the sours are fantastic.
Aldi and Lidl have some bloody good stuff these days considering they're thought of as the "crap" supermarkets. Especially around Christmas you get the Gluwien and German Gingerbread and it's half the price and twice the quality it is in Tesco or Sainsburys (if they even stock it). There's a shop in my county called Bakers & Larners which is a "supermarket" for the kind of people that think a grands worth of wine in two bottles and some caviar are essential for a decent weekend in the old second home and even they are having to innovate to keep customers because of how good the euro food in Lidl is getting.

Tags
None