Decent Dollar Store Treats or Decent off-brand alternatives to what we usually eat -

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Aldi and Lidl have some bloody good stuff these days considering they're thought of as the "crap" supermarkets. Especially around Christmas you get the Gluwien and German Gingerbread and it's half the price and twice the quality it is in Tesco or Sainsburys (if they even stock it). There's a shop in my county called Bakers & Larners which is a "supermarket" for the kind of people that think a grands worth of wine in two bottles and some caviar are essential for a decent weekend in the old second home and even they are having to innovate to keep customers because of how good the euro food in Lidl is getting.
Their "fake" Bounty bars and Snickers are just as good as the real thing too, and I have started shopping there a lot more regularly now, I used to be put off with going there because it was impossible to do a full shop unless you wanted to eat just European cheeses, smoked meats and crap sweet cheap euro bread, but now you can get tonnes of "Real Brand" bread like Warburtons and Hovis, along with their own stuff which has really improved in the last few years. Their brioche hot dog and burger buns are better than Waitrose.

I love their own brand crisps too, purely because I was raised on cheap Asda crisps as a kid, and they are thinner and less salty than Walkers.

And their ready cooked packet rices are better than name brands too, and have more veg in them.

Was a Waitrose snob for years (because it was walking distance, and I lived in Hove Actually), but realised a few years back I could get a Taxi to my local Aldi and back and still save about £20 on a "Big Shop", and get pretty much the exact same stuff for almost half the price. (my Taxi driver who I had a contract with to take me to work every day usually parked up in the car park and did his shopping at the same time so I didn't have to pay for him to wait which was win win. He got paid to do his own shopping and I didn't have to pay for him to wait).

Edit: this made me chuckle...
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Begemot

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
Their "fake" Bounty bars and Snickers are just as good as the real thing too, and I have started shopping there a lot more regularly now, I used to be put off with going there because it was impossible to do a full shop unless you wanted to eat just European cheeses, smoked meats and crap sweet cheap euro bread, but now you can get tonnes of "Real Brand" bread like Warburtons and Hovis, along with their own stuff which has really improved in the last few years. Their brioche hot dog and burger buns are better than Waitrose.

I love their own brand crisps too, purely because I was raised on cheap Asda crisps as a kid, and they are thinner and less salty than Walkers.

And their ready cooked packet rices are better than name brands too, and have more veg in them.

Was a Waitrose snob for years (because it was walking distance, and I lived in Hove Actually), but realised a few years back I could get a Taxi to my local Aldi and back and still save about £20 on a "Big Shop", and get pretty much the exact same stuff for almost half the price. (my Taxi driver who I had a contract with to take me to work every day usually parked up in the car park and did his shopping at the same time so I didn't have to pay for him to wait which was win win. He got paid to do his own shopping and I didn't have to pay for him to wait).
The one thing I can never bring myself to buy is the rolls and slices they have in the open trays. I once saw a kid with hands that looked like he'd been scraping out sewer pipes with his nails walk down the entire row picking up every single one to sniff. I just don't like the idea that my mozzarella and pesto puff pastry slice has been squeezed and sneezed on by half the town. Pity because they're actually really tasty.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
The spices are the real value, get bottles of soy, teriyaki, Worcestershire, salt/pepper, etc for $1 and it will turn any shit meal into gourmet dining. Normally they cost double in the store for the same amount and if it's just seasoning, fuck you don't need Organic or Pensley's brand to make bad food taste good.

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
The spices are the real value, get bottles of soy, teriyaki, Worcestershire, salt/pepper, etc for $1 and it will turn any shit meal into gourmet dining. Normally they cost double in the store for the same amount and if it's just seasoning, fuck you don't need Organic or Pensley's brand to make bad food taste good.
Yeah, I found some dollar store budget spices /dried herbs, I got a small bottle of dried chives, literal no difference than the chives I bought at a normal store aside from it not being in a glass bottle I guess.

Updated the OP by adding Aldi or any store that tends to sell cheaper/similar off-brand stuff,
I kind of made it look like I only meant Dollar Tree/General or Walmart which is not what I meant.
I'm from the US so I have no idea what other places got but if I knew I would specify too.

Last edited by a moderator:

HamFan

Hi, guize! OK, so
kiwifarms.net
I love the dollar tree for snacks. They're good for crackers and pretzels, small packages of nuts and jerky. (It's an abomination of processed crap, but) I like a cheese dip they sell. Basically a cheeze whiz knock off. I also like most of their cookies and candies.

As far as real food, I almost always buy store brand. I usually only buy name brand if it's on sale. There are a few exceptions where the quality just isn't as good, but I'd say, like, 80% of the time it is.

When it comes to liking knock offs more- 2 jump to mind; I like almost any cheap brand of chocolate sandwich cookies more than Oreos. Oreos just don't seem as chocolatey as they used to? But cheap ones still delivery, imo.
And my favorite local grocery's house brand of chips have way more flavor powder than national brands.

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
I love the dollar tree for snacks. They're good for crackers and pretzels, small packages of nuts and jerky. (It's an abomination of processed crap, but) I like a cheese dip they sell. Basically a cheeze whiz knock off. I also like most of their cookies and candies.

As far as real food, I almost always buy store brand. I usually only buy name brand if it's on sale. There are a few exceptions where the quality just isn't as good, but I'd say, like, 80% of the time it is.

When it comes to liking knock offs more- 2 jump to mind; I like almost any cheap brand of chocolate sandwich cookies more than Oreos. Oreos just don't seem as chocolatey as they used to? But cheap ones still delivery, imo.
And my favorite local grocery's house brand of chips have way more flavor powder than national brands.
Haha yeah, wouldn't really seek dollar stores as a way to substitute your entire diet.
Yeah alot of the sandwich cookies are perfectly fine but ive usually tried the duplex/duo ones than the chocolate one like Oreo but I should , I've only tried brazilian knock offs of Oreos (negresco, bonos) and theyre decent alternatives - i dont get them for more than 2 dollars , like a dollar usually on my end
1590067772202.png

• Informative

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Aldi snack food tends to be quite good. Chips, chocolate, cakes, candies, etc. Their real food, sadly, tends to be more hit or miss, but if it's awful for you, it's probably pretty good. Their fig newton knockoffs are better than the name brand, or any other store brand I've ever had.

I'm a big fan of store brands in general. There are some exceptions... I've never found a store-brand cream cheese that's nearly as good as Philly, for example. And store brand pasta sauces tend to be a bit crap, usually over-pureed, or too sweet. Flour, it pays to stick with name brands - store brand might be fine, but it's not as consistent in terms of results if you do a lot of baking I find. And frankly nobody's own-brand sodas are very good, even if I drank tons of Sam's Choice soda as a kid. But I'd guess about 3/4ths or more of the food I buy is store-brand if a store-brand option exists, usually one of Kroger's three or four own-brands, Great Value from Walmart, Sprouts from... uh... Sprouts, or one of Aldi's frankly baffling array of own-brand imprints.

Publix, ironically? Despite being a high priced store, and their own-brand stuff is similarly high priced? Publix own-brand stuff tends to be poor quality compared to other store's own-brand equivalents.

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, there are just some stuff that is better not being bought as a store brand for some reason, I thought walmart's flour and sugar is alright, I can't say I ever had an issue where I thought flour was a problem at all. But yeah I dont know a single off/store-brand soda that made me go want to ditch the known brands I get, like ever.

Aside from milk ,cheese and eggs I can't say I've had much experience with Publix's own brand of stuff, but I actually do think their ice cream is pretty decent- such as their moose tracks. Their own white american slices of cheese are basically the same as Boar's head at the deli - so I wouldn't look away from purchasing some if its on sale like i've seen it being a couple times this year.
1590163704795.png

The best and greatest

kiwifarms.net
Cheap soy sauce is fucking awful. Its one of the few things in the kitchen where I'm a stickler for brand. Herbs and spices you're correct though.

• Informative

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cheap soy sauce is fucking awful. Its one of the few things in the kitchen where I'm a stickler for brand. Herbs and spices you're correct though.
Ehhh, a lot of times those discount herbs and spices are mostly "Filler"/junk.
I once looked at the label for some spice at a Krogers the discount Kroger brand was by weight mostly filler, the Private Selection branded one was 100% just what ever spice it was.

MembersSchoolPizza

kiwifarms.net
Ehhh, a lot of times those discount herbs and spices are mostly "Filler"/junk.
I once looked at the label for some spice at a Krogers the discount Kroger brand was by weight mostly filler, the Private Selection branded one was 100% just what ever spice it was.
Kroger has so many "own brands". Their "Private Selection" is usually just as good as any name brand. Their "Kroger" stuff is usually acceptable. Their... I can't think of the name exactly, they have a "budget" line of spices, "Smidge and Spoon"? I think? That is pretty bad, though.

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kroger has so many "own brands". Their "Private Selection" is usually just as good as any name brand. Their "Kroger" stuff is usually acceptable. Their... I can't think of the name exactly, they have a "budget" line of spices, "Smidge and Spoon"? I think? That is pretty bad, though.
This was in their "Lets bring back early cold war graphic design" phase of Psst super savvy brand. The one Smidge and Spoon one I looked up actually had 100% of what it was suppose to be so I guess Kroger got better.

MembersSchoolPizza

kiwifarms.net
This was in their "Lets bring back early cold war graphic design" phase of Psst super savvy brand. The one Smidge and Spoon one I looked up actually had 100% of what it was suppose to be so I guess Kroger got better.
I don't know about the content. I've only bought a couple of them. I tried the Smidge and Spoon black pepper, and it was so powdery it was like... baby powder, or something. Mostly the biggest thing is they're not really a bargain compared to almost any other store brand at other stores... The jars are tiny.

Robert Sanvagene

Autistic Lives Matter™
kiwifarms.net
For cheap-ass human treats, Aldi is the tits. Their Red Bull (Flying Power) and Wagon Wheels (Cart Wheels) knockoffs are especially noteworthy for how good/cheap they are. Their frozen pizzas are also pretty good.

Aldi snack food tends to be quite good. Chips, chocolate, cakes, candies, etc. Their real food, sadly, tends to be more hit or miss, but if it's awful for you, it's probably pretty good.
I'm struggling to think of any non-junk food items from Aldi that I'd avoid. The only things I'd avoid buying from Aldi aren't human food related: their kitchen appliances tend to be a bit shit, and I've heard/read too many horror stories about Aldi's cheapest dog food to let it anywhere near doggo. Happily, they sell a brand name dog food (in Australia at least) for less than the other supermarkets, so that's something.

Last edited:

MembersSchoolPizza

kiwifarms.net
For cheap-ass human treats, Aldi is the tits. Their Red Bull (Flying Power) and Wagon Wheels (Cart Wheels) knockoffs are especially noteworthy for how good/cheap they are. Their frozen pizzas are also pretty good.
I actually had one of their frozen pizzas for the first time the other night, and was quite happily surprised, for a three-fiddy pizza. I've paid a lot more for a lot worse frozen pizza. The pepperoni had a nice flavor to it, the cheese was salty and stretchy, and the sauce was not overly sweet or metalic tasting.

• Agree
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene
Tags
None