Decent Dollar Store Treats or Decent off-brand alternatives to what we usually eat -

Robert Sanvagene

Autistic Lives Matter™
kiwifarms.net
I actually had one of their frozen pizzas for the first time the other night, and was quite happily surprised, for a three-fiddy pizza. I've paid a lot more for a lot worse frozen pizza. The pepperoni had a nice flavor to it, the cheese was salty and stretchy, and the sauce was not overly sweet or metalic tasting.
Most frozen pizzas kinda taste like frozen pizza, if that makes sense. Aldi's frozen pizzas - whilst they don't taste like a freshly made pizza - at least seem to have some effort put into them. They remind me of the fancy frozen pizzas that usually cost around double the price, such as Dr Oetker's.

If you feel a bit more adventurous, their cheese pizzas make a pretty good basis for some food hacking. IDK if they're available in other parts of the world, but down here they're sold in a 3 pack for 6 dollarydoos. They go alright even if you don't feel like throwing random meats, vegetables and/or sauces on top ... although you can turn one into a killer breakfast pizza by cracking an egg in the middle and putting a couple of rashers of bacon on it.

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For cheap-ass human treats, Aldi is the tits. Their Red Bull (Flying Power) and Wagon Wheels (Cart Wheels) knockoffs are especially noteworthy for how good/cheap they are. Their frozen pizzas are also pretty good.

I'm struggling to think of any non-junk food items from Aldi that I'd avoid. The only things I'd avoid buying from Aldi aren't human food related: their kitchen appliances tend to be a bit shit, and I've heard/read too many horror stories about Aldi's cheapest dog food to let it anywhere near doggo. Happily, they sell a brand name dog food (in Australia at least) for less than the other supermarkets, so that's something.
I think its just some shit baker in my area, but the normal white/wheat/no frills bread at Aldis in my area (and I assume other stores for their in house brand uses the same baker) is really on the drier/stale side even when new.

That said Aldi had a goat cheese pizza that was really good, I haven't seen it in a while, I guess it was too "upper class" and booted to Trader Joe's.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dollar Tree stores have these cherry and blue razzberry knockoff Italian ice things that are amazing. Can’t think of the name of them for the life of me though.

Reactions: Trombonista

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
I'm struggling to think of any non-junk food items from Aldi that I'd avoid.
Sorry for the kinda-double-post, but I somehow forgot to respond to this part intiailly.

In my experience, most Aldi cheese is a bit shit. It's... Kinda waxy textured and a little tasteless. Some of their fancy stuff that they do as special weekly items can be pretty good, but, like... Just blocks of cheddar or something. no. Their mayonnaise is overly gelatinous, for some reason. Like, it's not actually creamy, the texture is literally more like a soft jello. And their tuna, but honestly canned tuna in the US as a whole has turned to utter shit in the last few years unless you pay out the nose for the super-premium stuff, so I can' t really hold that against them.

But the bad mayo and bad cheese, that's a big strike. I love both things, like all honest, red-blooded Americans.

• Informative
Reactions: twattycake

Ex Cummunicated Sasser HD

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Cheap soy sauce can be fucking awful. Its one of the few things in the kitchen where I'm a stickler for brand. Herbs and spices you're correct though.
Agreed, but most other stuff you can get away with. The only things I absolutely refuse to buy off brand are decent soys, fish sauces, and english mustard. (For some reason all the cheaper off brand English mustards in the UK have so much vinegar and sugar ratio to actual mustard it's almost like a slightly hotter US mustard, which is fine if that is what you are going for, but proper English mustard should make you feel like you have been hit on the nose with a plank of wood.

I just buy Coleman's (the best) mustard powder and make it myself. Just add water and a touch of vinegar, and BAM! Hot eye watering mustard every time, although it doesn't look as appealing as it has no artificial colouring in it, so just a pinch of turmeric fixes that if you don't want your English mustard looking a bit pale. Great thing about the Coleman's is it comes in a really nice tin, that I use in my workshop for storing everything from screws to pens. Very appealing old fashioned design too...

Originals, from before WW2 to just after:
colemans old.jpg

New ones:
colmans new.jpg

They are usually £3 a tin, and last for a good few months, and the tins have the nice old school aesthetic, sort of like Altoids tins...

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I found some dollar store budget spices /dried herbs, I got a small bottle of dried chives, literal no difference than the chives I bought at a normal store aside from it not being in a glass bottle I guess.
I refuse to buy any of those herbs, purely because they are so easy to grow, even on a window ledge... My chives, mint and parsley have weathered 2 frosts now... Only thing I can't grow myself unless it's summer is basil.

edit: I've got chives coming out my ears, it's basically a weed that tastes really good...

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
I refuse to buy any of those herbs, purely because they are so easy to grow, even on a window ledge... My chives, mint and parsley have weathered 2 frosts now... Only thing I can't grow myself unless it's summer is basil.
I have some grown herbs like rosemary and bay leaves,
but yeah i could revisit chives, idk what i did wrong but when i cut into it it was more slimy than anything, maybe i harvested it at the wrong time.

Reactions: niconiconecro

Sláinte!!!
kiwifarms.net
but yeah i could revisit chives, idk what i did wrong but when i cut into it it was more slimy than anything, maybe i harvested it at the wrong time.
That’s a weird one... Maybe they were overwatered? Mint can get scraggly very quickly, so can parsley, but chives, you just give them a haircut when you need a handful, and a decent pair of scissors and a decent pot of chives is basically free fresh seasoning all year round. Rosemary and thyme, and mint and parsley can sometimes be a pain, because they can all go scraggly, but never had an issue with chives.

Never even attempted bay leaves. Are they big plants, and can you use them fresh? Only ever used them dried to put in curries and tomato or meat sauces...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Aldi's own brands are often better quality than even the name brands. Highly recommend their spicy cheeses.

American Aldi has massive frozen pizzas.

Last edited:

toilet_rainbow

like a monster truck in the nightlife
kiwifarms.net
Aldi Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties and Samoas/Caramel Delites are less than a dollar where I live and are the shit. They also used to carry Thin Mints that were just as good. I like their Savoritz Goldfish crackers just as much as store brand Goldfish, although they are different (if you remember Dolphins and Friends that's what their Goldfish knockoff reminds me of). Y'know what? I'll just join the "Aldi has terrific snack food" bandwagon. Their pizza rolls make for a nice snack or meal. My favorite frozen meal from them is a seasonal flatbread chicken sandwich that actually tastes semi fresh even after microwaving it.

My favorite snacks at Dollar Tree are the $1 M&M cookie ice cream sandwiches (rarely need more than one at a time so I'm fine with not buying the larger boxes at the grocery store unless they're on sale) and Butterball turkey jerky. The cracked black pepper turkey jerky is genuinely good stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Begemot

Lunete

Nighty night...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Those little cheese filled breadsticks the dollar tree used to sell were great. I miss those.

Schmeckel

Praise 'til you're hollow
kiwifarms.net
Dollar trees are the shit, because they are the last dollar store left where everything is truly a dollar (where I live at least). All of their snacks are good. Candy, chips, dried fruit. They have mini boxes of name brand cheez-itz and Oreos even.
While not food, Dollar Tree tends to have some really good drinking glasses. I picked up a few steins, wine glasses, and martini glasses to fill out a wet bar for super fucking cheap. They're not anything to write home about, but they're solid. Their beer steins can be used as an effective bludgeon if needed.

Ducky!

Busy tending my camels
kiwifarms.net
While not food, Dollar Tree tends to have some really good drinking glasses. I picked up a few steins, wine glasses, and martini glasses to fill out a wet bar for super fucking cheap. They're not anything to write home about, but they're solid. Their beer steins can be used as an effective bludgeon if needed.
Also, you can’t forget the packs of 3 lighters for a dollar

Tags
None