Denuvo says its new kernel-level anti-cheat driver is minimally invasive - Denuvo find a new reason for people to hate them

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't block installation of these or throw up a warning. When there's an inevitable security breach they're going to be the ones patching it so it would only be fair.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Shield Breaker

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hate using this analogy: but it's like a defendant in a rape case saying, "It was just the tip bro!"

The level of which you're violating the sanctity of something doesn't change the fact you're violating it. Even then the case of Denuvo is their dicks are so small a "tip" would be the whole thing.
Doesn't Epic Games Valorant do the same thing with their anti-cheat?
Supposedly they changed it from level 0 to 1 or 2. SomeOrdinaryGamers covered the initial incident and the change.

It's just this kernel shit reminds me of StarCOM or whatever that would brick your computer if you tried to remove it. Similar to Sony with their music DRM fiasco. At some point consumers just need to get violent with these assholes in order for them to learn a lesson.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are they fucking joking? Kernal level access is 'minimally invasive' now? That's calling a triple bypass minimally invasive on your fucking heart.
Must be a former Microsoft developer. Only the Microsoft MVP mindset could possibly make a claim like that with a straight face. Rootkits are maximally invasive.

The article's also full of shit for claiming this is somehow different from a rootkit. It installs itself in the system with root-level access and executes arbitrary code on behalf of a neutral-to-hostile third party when you start certain programs. That also means it's (by necessity) always watching the system process list (all the time, not just when the game is running) and snooping on who knows what else, and is free to send anything it likes from your system to their servers at will. It's a rootkit, and it's malware.

I bought Doom 2016 once it went on a good sale because it looked amazing (and it is) but I'm so glad I waited before pulling the trigger on Eternal. It's off my wishlist now even on a good sale until they take this shit back out.

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Tencent has a 30% stake in the company that makes Devuno. Pretty sure there's a reason why it needs kernel 0 access and it's not to prevent cheating.
Naspers has a 31% stake in Tencent. They also have a 100% stake in Irdeto. Irdeto owns Denuvo.
Naspers-1200x691.jpg

Irdeto bought Denuvo because they wanted an anti-cheat. China and South Africa are oppressing gamers.

Pretty good Twitter thread about this rabbit hole
Archive

Fun fact: Denuvo is basically a sequel to Securom.
Wikipedia the free encyclopedia said:
The company was formed through a management buyout of DigitalWorks, the arm of the Sony Digital Audio Disc Corporation that developed the SecuROM DRM technology.

Goldman

PROTECKING THE LYFE CYCLE
kiwifarms.net
I miss the Diablo 2 days when I could use a tool to edit other people's characters. I would always get a good giggle out of "SickNastyBastard plz join and fix this" then I would just log off.
That's why I don't like persistent MP rankings/items and pay for even cosmetics. There is much more incentive to get rid of stuff like this and make it more "fair."
I hate using this analogy: but it's like a defendant in a rape case saying, "It was just the tip bro!"

The level of which you're violating the sanctity of something doesn't change the fact you're violating it. Even then the case of Denuvo is their dicks are so small a "tip" would be the whole thing.

Supposedly they changed it from level 0 to 1 or 2. SomeOrdinaryGamers covered the initial incident and the change.

It's just this kernel shit reminds me of StarCOM or whatever that would brick your computer if you tried to remove it. Similar to Sony with their music DRM fiasco. At some point consumers just need to get violent with these assholes in order for them to learn a lesson.
Changing tbe level begs the question, why didn't they set it that way from the beginning? Also the old drm thing was called StarForce.

Reactions: SiccDicc

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Changing tbe level begs the question, why didn't they set it that way from the beginning? Also the old drm thing was called StarForce.
Yeah, I got SecuROM and StarForce mixed up. I remember the latter being more of a monster, though.

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
SecuROM was pretty bad depending on the version used. The ones used in Spore and BioShock are the more infamous. Either Diablo 2 or its expansion had SecuROM. Don't think I've seen many complaints about the version used there.

Most PC gaming I did back then was Zoo Tycoon, though. Maybe the complaints are just lost to time.

Tags
None