Deplatforming and De-commenting - Censorship on the Internet

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So Yahoo back in July forced their comment section to be "de-commented", getting closer to election season with the following comment under each article:

saWTzTw.png

Now I know Yahoo is a useless news site in of itself, but it's really bad when a major news site does decide to take down their own comment section because of potential "disagreements". Youtube allows for videos to stop commenting threads from occurring, and will sometimes force commenting threads to not exist on specific things, such as kids videos.

Beyond that, there is also deplatforming, usually in the forms of demonetization or bans from high profile platforms like Youtube, Twitter and Twitch. Destiny is the most recent case of a site deplatforming.

wTm1C2w.png

D9kn7rT.png

credit to @SpergWatcher

So... it seems that certain sites act like governments that censor certain content that do not abide by their rules. This general human behavior has been found for centuries for a myriad different types of countries, and not just Modern Day Websites. If it doesn't fit the narrative of the site/the state, it gets axed. In general, censorship for the past 15 years of the Internet's life has existed in different ways. You all probably have seen it all in its different forms. The concept of making "rules" is usually where the root of censorship comes from, justified under its own laws and regulations on how content is created.

Usually, there is a rule of "ethics", somehow the things being said are full of "hatred", "violence", or even simply "anger". And because of said rule of ethics, censorship is allowed.

So there's your background. Now here are your questions: what do you think of emergence of the pattern of deplatforming and de-commenting? How do you feel that a "free" internet still has censorship? Where do you agree censorship matters, if at all, and where do you disagree with it? Is it okay to censor hatred, or less so anger? What lengths should censorship be allowed on the internet, if at all?

This is a fucking difficult topic, fam. I hope you all want to chew on this shit.

Last edited:

dinoman

cat lives matter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
what do you think of emergence of the pattern of deplatforming and de-commenting?
It's fucking retarded.
How do you feel that a "free" internet still has censorship?
There is nothing fucking free about the internet, a handful of sites control all communication, and can boot you off for no fucking reason. There needs to be a law against this shit.
Where do you agree censorship matters, if at all, and where do you disagree with it?
I am never OK with censorship. Removing illegal content like death threats or cheese pizza is totally different.
Is it okay to censor hatred, or less so anger?
No. Platforms should provide tools to users that allow them to remove themselves from content they don't wish to see.
What lengths should censorship be allowed on the internet, if at all?
Fucking zero. All articles should have comment sections, there should be no fucking option to disable them, you shouldn't be allowed to disable comments and ratings on your video. If you don't want your content criticized, don't put it out there.

The only solution to this problem that I can see is repealing some laws and adding new ones. Since payment processors control everything, either make it easier to make new payment processors or place different, more strict regulations on them.

Since this problem is happening in the private sector, the only thing that will fix it is a truly free market system.

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's fucking retarded.

There is nothing fucking free about the internet, a handful of sites control all communication, and can boot you off for no fucking reason. There needs to be a law against this shit.

I am never OK with censorship. Removing illegal content like death threats or cheese pizza is totally different.

No. Platforms should provide tools to users that allow them to remove themselves from content they don't wish to see.

Fucking zero. All articles should have comment sections, there should be no fucking option to disable them, you shouldn't be allowed to disable comments and ratings on your video. If you don't want your content criticized, don't put it out there.

The only solution to this problem that I can see is repealing some laws and adding new ones. Since payment processors control everything, either make it easier to make new payment processors or place different, more strict regulations on them.

Since this problem is happening in the private sector, the only thing that will fix it is a truly free market system.
I agree with you. Just because you create something, does not necessarily mean you get absolute control of it, nor even any right of control. For someone at the "top" to have control over anything with the internet or any site that they may have created is a bullshit excuse for obtaining power and abusing said power.

Last edited:

Unog

My political affiliation is "rétard"
kiwifarms.net
This is a fucking difficult topic, fam.
I find it gets a lot easier if you decouple the concept of freedom of speech from the concept of freedom of expression in general.

I, nor anyone else, should have retards bring up lolicon when talking about the written and/or spoken word.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

BOO.
kiwifarms.net
The root of this is people thinking that someone disagreeing with them is THE WORST THING EVER. This stems from internalizing things like political stances/viewpoints too heavily, to the point where it becomes a nearly-immutable part of their identity and personality - thus, a disagreement with them on those grounds is inevitably viewed as a personal attack.

• Agree
Reactions: YandereDev_

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So y'all are pissed in the comment section. Talk about why you are pissed

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Different regions have different laws.
And the Laws of the Internet are: nonexistent. It is a lawless idea, just like the midwest, eventually to be governed by certain entities.

This reminds me of early bullshit with the USA with Federal vs. State Laws. How the FEDERAL supersedes the state.

Somehow, "country" laws supersede the fact that there exists the idea of "no-laws" within a VOID/The INTERNET, and thus it must be "organized" and put to this concept called LAW. This has been the case with determining "law/justice" and creating "order" probably since the inception of the idea called "states vs. countries".

But what is order? 1984 Orwellian Big Brother Dictatorship that defines that something "bigger" knows better than the masses, and so it dictates how the masses run? Sounds like utter bullshit to me.

To me: to censor is to not to allow communication. And that to me is a pure form of what you may call "evil".

Pickelhaube

HEY!
kiwifarms.net
And the Laws of the Internet are: nonexistent. It is a lawless idea, just like the midwest, eventually to be governed by certain entities.

This reminds me of early bullshit with the USA with Federal vs. State Laws. How the FEDERAL supersedes the state.

Somehow, "country" laws supersede the fact that there exists the idea of "no-laws" within a VOID/The INTERNET, and thus it must be "organized" and put to this concept called LAW. This has been the case with determining "law/justice" and creating "order" probably since the inception of the idea called "states vs. countries".

But what is order? 1984 Orwellian Big Brother Dictatorship that defines that something "bigger" knows better than the masses, and so it dictates how the masses run? Sounds like utter bullshit to me.

To me: to censor is to not to allow communication. And that to me is a pure form of what you may call "evil".
I like to draw parallel of the relations between the current state of the Internet and countries to international waters. Think of a website as a ship, its server must be based on a nation, just like how ships are registered. In theory, like a ship in international waters, the website must obey laws based on the country the server is registered in. Just like how Null can ignore lawsuits from overseas because his site is based on America, rape cases and wage disputes in cruise ships don't have to follow American laws in international waters because that company registered the ship in Liberia. However, because Kiwi Farms in based in America (I think), Null has to be more attentive to American law changes.

Tags
None