Deplatforming and De-commenting - Censorship on the Internet

The Shadow

Edgy two gun mystery man
kiwifarms.net
Companies have to be doing this on purpose to make the divide stronger, what conservative is looking at this and NOT thinking to themselves "if we lose this year, we will continue to lose every year forever"?
If you give an inch, they'll take a mile.

For once I actually advocate taking inspiration from the Soviets- particularly their defense of Stalingrad: Not one step back.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
Internet censorship has proven to me that humans really be that dumb. There's so much out there especially related to 'leftist' politics that anyone who has any bit of sanity and critical thinking skills should be able to look at and know, inherently, that the full picture isn't being given and facts are being manipulated. They should know to research deeper but social media has given rise to this insular hugbox of ideas of the world AND a deep seated need to have an instant take on something IMMEDIATELY. Instead of waiting to comment on a situation when all the facts are out.

Imo. At the rate they're going though, eventually that censorship machine they created will turn on them- because it will have caught everyone else.

Twitter needs to die, tho. I've said this many a time but any site that spends it's time fact checking the president because they wanna be seen as 'right' when pedos run rampant on their platform needs to be taken to that nice field screensaver and digitally put down.

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
Back on old 4 chan, I remember there was the saying "Don't feed the trolls". if someone was clearly spewing garbage, it's best not to pay them any mind, depriving them of space. To what extent is this similar to deplatforming, and how is it different?

DukeOfNimonia

kiwifarms.net
Back on old 4 chan, I remember there was the saying "Don't feed the trolls". if someone was clearly spewing garbage, it's best not to pay them any mind, depriving them of space. To what extent is this similar to deplatforming, and how is it different?
The difference is that the trolls are still free to post. The old pissedoff.com message boards had a section called "Trash Bin" (or somesuch) for trolls to post in. The Straight Dope has "The BBQ Pit". And so on.

True de-platforming is more like the shadow-ban option I have at Nimbusters III - you can still see your words; no one else can. That is, imo, what de-platforming truly is.

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
The whole removal of comments section plan that basically all major mainstream news sites have slowly been pushing the past few years is absolutely retarded. If you ban discussion on your site people will just make fun of your content behind your back.

• Agree
Reactions: Cuck Shack

Cuck Shack

Chuck's "writing shed."
kiwifarms.net
This isn't just about Yahoo. Nearly all "news" websites shut down their comment sections years ago. You're on to something here. About a year ago, I googled something like "why did news websites get rid of comments?" and found nothing. No one will admit that this is happening and if they have, Google buried it.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Toolbox

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
This isn't just about Yahoo. Nearly all "news" websites shut down their comment sections years ago. You're on to something here. About a year ago, I googled something like "why did news websites get rid of comments?" and found nothing. No one will admit that this is happening and if they have, Google buried it.
Most of it really occured after the 2016 election if I remember correctly.

• Feels
Reactions: bearycool

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think humans are just dumb for creating something big and expansive, and then immediately creating rules to "regulate" it.

Like Jesus Christ, it's like "restrictions" are encoded in our DNA.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Toolbox

Made In China

I'm from Pennsylvania.
kiwifarms.net
I think humans are just dumb for creating something big and expansive, and then immediately creating rules to "regulate" it.

Like Jesus Christ, it's like "restrictions" are encoded in our DNA.
Well obviously. People who don't seek control and power won't have it, so the people who end up controlling society are those who seek control and power. Go look into the prisoner's dilemma if you want to see why society always turns out this way.

bearycool

The Movie Night Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well obviously. People who don't seek control and power won't have it, so the people who end up controlling society are those who seek control and power. Go look into the prisoner's dilemma if you want to see why society always turns out this way.
As a psychologist, I already know of the prisoner's dilemma and how a simple roleplaying of a situation begot very general human behaviors about "power-struggle". Almost getting to the point of a concentration camp-esque situation with the brutality.

it's how Hitler controlled his "dilemma" with his subordinates/nazis with the following command: "obey all my orders or die and be executed thorougly".

Succinct and seeks power.

And as the old saying goes, those who don't seek power usually are the ones that deserve power. But of course, the dilemma is that if you don't seek it, it's not going to happen.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's this miasma in the air about how conspiracy theorists are the biggest threats as opposed to actual conspirators which is an Olympian leap in mental gymnastics. Even worse, if there is legitimate concern any conspiracy theorist brings up, this same derangement is cranked up to eleven.

Tags
None