Despite his claims, DSP is still spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the WWE Champions mobile game -

WolverineGuy22

kiwifarms.net
Apparently Keith Lee is the new addition
What event was this? It looks like he was 26158th place in the faction feud.
Yeah I believe it was the Texas Pin Em event for Keith Lee. He was in 9th place when I saw. For Faction Feud, he led Loner to 26,158th place.
Also he has gained 2 wrestlers since the last picture posted.
IMG_2111.jpeg

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
EDIT 7 or 8 people have answered this (and it was partly rhetorical) and they've all said the same thing so whilst I appreciate the effort, there's no need to further derail the thread by answering this specific post.

Can somebody, ANYBODY explain to me the attraction of these games? So you feed thousands of dollars into it, and you get to be on a leader board. Gambling addiction I get, there's a slim promise of financial reward and that's what keeps people coming back. Lootboxes I get, to a point, you have some gameplay attached to them and if you keep getting bitch slapped by people with better guns then yeah, lootboxes are attractive. These card pulling games though, whats the point? Where's the fun. It's like paying to win a school sports day, literally nobody you tell is going to be impressed that you won.

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Can somebody, ANYBODY explain to me the attraction of these games? So you feed thousands of dollars into it, and you get to be on a leader board. Gambling addiction I get, there's a slim promise of financial reward and that's what keeps people coming back.
Some say it's actually losing that people get addicted to. If that's true, it makes gacha make more sense, since all you do is lose. The "wins" are of nothing of value, but are apparently enough to trigger the same compulsive response, at least among incredibly mentally weak people like DSP.

harbinger

DarksydePhallus
kiwifarms.net
Some say it's actually losing that people get addicted to. If that's true, it makes gacha make more sense, since all you do is lose. The "wins" are of nothing of value, but are apparently enough to trigger the same compulsive response, at least among incredibly mentally weak people like DSP.
If there’s one thing Philip is addicted to, it’s losing.

And money, especially losing money.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
God how much of a cuck do you have to be to get off watching your bank account getting fucked by a game developer?

Can somebody, ANYBODY explain to me the attraction of these games? So you feed thousands of dollars into it, and you get to be on a leader board. Gambling addiction I get, there's a slim promise of financial reward and that's what keeps people coming back. Lootboxes I get, to a point, you have some gameplay attached to them and if you keep getting bitch slapped by people with better guns then yeah, lootboxes are attractive. These card pulling games though, whats the point? Where's the fun. It's like paying to win a school sports day, literally nobody you tell is going to be impressed that you won.

They're specifically designed to get people addicted, no different in that respect from a slot machine with flashing lights. They have people working at these companies specifically designing them to be addictive as possible, the WWE part is basically irrelevant and could easily be any other sport or IP.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
Can somebody, ANYBODY explain to me the attraction of these games?
That is the cherry atop the sundae.

I like games, and I've spent more time than I'll admit playing them. I like travel, gadgets, eating out, and I'll admit I've spent more than I really should on that.

But $40k+ for this? It's incomprehensible. Imagine a Quicksand-like noir where instead of stealing $20 from his boss to pay for a date Mickey Rooney dropped $4000 (adjusted for inflation) on a gacha game. It would be laughed out of the theaters. I can't believe it. And yet, here we are.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net

I like games, and I've spent more time than I'll admit playing them. I like travel, gadgets, eating out, and I'll admit I've spent more than I really should on that.

But $40k+ for this? It's incomprehensible. Imagine a Quicksand-like noir where instead of stealing $20 from his boss to pay for a date Mickey Rooney dropped $4000 (adjusted for inflation) on a gacha game. It would be laughed out of the theaters. I can't believe it. And yet, here we are.
Yeah, I mean I get addictive personalities taking pleasure in the anticipation of unlikely rewards but these games are just... I mean, it's essentially a box with a light that says "Good job!" You put a coin in, and every few hundred times the light flashes, and if you're lucky, your light flashes more than other people whose lights you can just make out in the distance. That's it. It's like they've dissected fun to see how it works but in doing so they've removed all the fun layers and said "Ah, push button receive perceived reward, all the in between stuff is pointless."

The real hilarity of all this is that the man in question is one with a prolific 11-year legacy of hundreds of games. A man who prides himself on having a tough, refined taste of what a good game is, whose opinion has never been swayed by outside sources and always gives a harsh but honest criticism of everything he sees.
All the games he's played, all the games he's called shit, and this is the one that hooks him, possibly even moreso than chasing after his glory days in Street Fighter 2. A garbage Bejeweled clone.
And the real topper? He still expects us to take his opinions on game design seriously. Doom Eternal sucks but WWE Champions is good enough to sink thousands of dollars into. He claims he never falls for marketing, is never a shill, and is above "corporate agendas and brainwashing", yet here we are.
He still genuinely wonders why no one listens to his takes on any game while playing WWE Champions. Don't think highly of my TLoU2 review? You're a shill!
*Dumps another Vest Goal into a mobile app*

darkwingosonichugorl

Let me tell you the potential of my balls.
kiwifarms.net
With WWE Champions, it starts where there's some walls in the singleplayer "story mode" section of the game where you'll need to spend a bit to finish it. I'd guess like $100 overall in pieces if you want to do it relatively quickly. Meanwhile, you also had to join a faction where your "friends" are helping you farm materials in order to finish story mode, so you feel obligated to throw in a few bucks to help the faction grow and such.

I guess it all snowballs when you play enough that you must be the best and have everything! at Phil's level of insane whale. But, like you say at that huge whale level, it's definitely not about fun anymore. It's addiction in wasting money. There's streams of other whales, there's nothing fun about what they're doing... they do the same 1-2 overpowered moves to win immediately, repeatedly, for countless hours while looking like fat sausage zombies like Phil does everyday. There's no challenge, there's no reward, they're just doing it because they wasted all their money and thus are now obligated to.

roo farmer

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I mean I get addictive personalities taking pleasure in the anticipation of unlikely rewards but these games are just... I mean, it's essentially a box with a light that says "Good job!" You put a coin in, and every few hundred times the light flashes, and if you're lucky, your light flashes more than other people whose lights you can just make out in the distance. That's it. It's like they've dissected fun to see how it works but in doing so they've removed all the fun layers and said "Ah, push button receive perceived reward, all the in between stuff is pointless."
That's exactly why Phil is addicted to it, and why people get addicted to slot machines. Addicted by Design is a great book about how the VLT makers design their machines to addict idiots. The machines are destined so you do everything right (put in the coin) and you either get a reward or you lose, but it's not your fault you did everything correct.

The players just want to lose a few hours of their life. It has a few interviews with addicts, and one of the women said she hated it when she won at the end of a binge because that meant she had to stay there for another hour until she had lost everything and was "allowed" to go home.

TurboSwine

kiwifarms.net
You just perfectly described a Skinner box. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber?wprov=sfla1

Rat pushes correct button, rat gets food. Eventually you can take away the food reward and the rat will push the button just to get the hit of dopamine his brain will produce because he's expecting food.

They just applied this conditioning principal to video games. The act of just feeding money into these games is all they need now. That one video posted earlier shows this. The guy burned 300 bucks just trying to get some silly reward, he didn't even get and was okay with it because he got his hit of dopamine.

Fapcop

kiwifarms.net
Well, I can certainly try.

Ask anyone with an addictive streak or anyone who had a gambling problem, and they’ll tell you that it really isn’t about winning or losing.

It’s about the rush you get in the brief seconds it takes to turn over a card, or wait for the slot machine to finish spinning.

Is Phil an idiot? Yes, but Phil didn’t spend 40K on WWE Champions because he’s an idiot.

He did so because he clearly has a personality prone to addiction, and is playing a game that specifically preys on those people.

Everything in WWE Champions is designed to squeeze money out of people like that. The risk/reward, the sounds and graphics, the different tiers and the different currencies and shards they use.

The addictive element isn’t really in the jewels or the wrestling. It’s in the “Buy this to maybe get X amount of shards”.

Btw: Phil clearly has a gambling/addiction problem.

The whole “oh, I can stop anytime it’s just relaxing for me!” Was about 30.000$ ago.

The question is: Does he realize this? Or is he too stupid? Or is it an ego-thing: “Phil does everything correct and doesn’t have a gambling addiction”?

TheKatIsNowGone

Praise the Sun!
kiwifarms.net
Btw: Phil clearly has a gambling/addiction problem.

The whole “oh, I can stop anytime it’s just relaxing for me!” Was about 30.000$ ago.

The question is: Does he realize this? Or is he too stupid? Or is it an ego-thing: “Phil does everything correct and doesn’t have a gambling addiction”?
I'm gonna go with "Phil does everything correct, and doesn't have a gambling addiction and also no way could I have spent $40k stupid trolls" mixed with a little bit of ye olde drug addicts call of "I just do it to relax sometimes..."

Hadidecount1990

kiwifarms.net
Knowing the Pig, it's mostly an ego thing, with a slice of stupidity. He's sunk this much money into the game and doesn't want to admit that the detractors were right despite his pigs not giving 2 shits about it.

Tags
None