Despite his claims, DSP is still spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the WWE Champions mobile game -

The-Patriarchy

Objectivity is Racist
kiwifarms.net
These Skinner Box games suck you in with easy advancement at first- the early game cycle for these are usually fun- but then as you advance to mid tier they will typically start to become a massive grind with the only way around it is to pay for either the good cards/upgrades or to pay to skip the mindless grinding. They even go so far as to design the user interface to make common repeated tasks annoying and clunky to repeat quickly, and do scummy things like position a "pay to win" button sandwiched tightly between two other buttons on the UI that you have to use frequently so you'll accidentally hit it every so often. They typically force you into playing with a team so there is peer pressure to keep up, and the endgame level play is generally impossible/unsustainable without sinking increasing amounts of money into a useless stupid game that you've become hopelessly addicted to.

TurboSwine

kiwifarms.net
These Skinner Box games suck you in with easy advancement at first- the early game cycle for these are usually fun- but then as you advance to mid tier they will typically start to become a massive grind with the only way around it is to pay for either the good cards/upgrades or to pay to skip the mindless grinding. They even go so far as to design the user interface to make common repeated tasks annoying and clunky to repeat quickly, and do scummy things like position a "pay to win" button sandwiched tightly between two other buttons on the UI that you have to use frequently so you'll accidentally hit it every so often. They typically force you into playing with a team so there is peer pressure to keep up, and the endgame level play is generally impossible/unsustainable without sinking increasing amounts of money into a useless stupid game that you've become hopelessly addicted to.
Indeed. They'll throw you a rare character early, but that rare character is only 1 star or some such shit and isn't any better than common characters. Rare gear gets tossed at you but it's so low level you'll quickly be replacing it.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They typically force you into playing with a team so there is peer pressure to keep up, and the endgame level play is generally impossible/unsustainable without sinking increasing amounts of money into a useless stupid game that you've become hopelessly addicted to.
From all accounts, this isn't even like that, but starts out requiring you to spend lots of money even at the beginning, like it's for people who are already hardcore gacha addicts.

Jaracainofthewind

kiwifarms.net
Well, I can certainly try.

Ask anyone with an addictive streak or anyone who had a gambling problem, and they’ll tell you that it really isn’t about winning or losing.

It’s about the rush you get in the brief seconds it takes to turn over a card, or wait for the slot machine to finish spinning.

Is Phil an idiot? Yes, but Phil didn’t spend 40K on WWE Champions because he’s an idiot.

He did so because he clearly has a personality prone to addiction, and is playing a game that specifically preys on those people.

Everything in WWE Champions is designed to squeeze money out of people like that. The risk/reward, the sounds and graphics, the different tiers and the different currencies and shards they use.

The addictive element isn’t really in the jewels or the wrestling. It’s in the “Buy this to maybe get X amount of shards”.

Btw: Phil clearly has a gambling/addiction problem.

The whole “oh, I can stop anytime it’s just relaxing for me!” Was about 30.000$ ago.

The question is: Does he realize this? Or is he too stupid? Or is it an ego-thing: “Phil does everything correct and doesn’t have a gambling addiction”?
I think is the best way to put it. I am shit with money too. Not nearly on the level of the pig. But bad time spending on shit I don't need. That said I hate gacha. "It’s about the rush you get in the brief seconds it takes to turn over a card" this has nothing on me. I even hated it in that one switch game that simulated them. Ultimately, Phil isn't just bad with money, he has real problems. And if were any less of a goddamn scumbag I'd feel bad for him, because compulsions are hard. But he's phil. So really this is the best place for his scummy money to go.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
With WWE Champions, it starts where there's some walls in the singleplayer "story mode" section of the game where you'll need to spend a bit to finish it. I'd guess like $100 overall in pieces if you want to do it relatively quickly. Meanwhile, you also had to join a faction where your "friends" are helping you farm materials in order to finish story mode, so you feel obligated to throw in a few bucks to help the faction grow and such.

I guess it all snowballs when you play enough that you must be the best and have everything! at Phil's level of insane whale. But, like you say at that huge whale level, it's definitely not about fun anymore. It's addiction in wasting money. There's streams of other whales, there's nothing fun about what they're doing... they do the same 1-2 overpowered moves to win immediately, repeatedly, for countless hours while looking like fat sausage zombies like Phil does everyday. There's no challenge, there's no reward, they're just doing it because they wasted all their money and thus are now obligated to.
I'm gonna go with the blindingly obvious opinion that Doom Eternal takes a level of skill to play that Phil doesn't have. I've basically never watched his streams so for all I know he's SO good at games they bore him but until I learn otherwise I'm gonna go with the opinion that the more he criticises game design the worse he is at the game in question.

JTLEXL

kiwifarms.net
I think perhaps one of the reasons the pig roach denies spending as much money as we know he has, is because he literally can't do math. You point out he made over $20,000 on the best streak and he denies it says it's ludicrous. Even though it is literally 100 x 200. And yet he seemingly does not believe he made that much money. Of course it could just be stupidity or lying to cover up how much you made, but what if he literally can't do the math? We all know he's on the autism spectrum with how much he rocks back and forth

BT9494

kiwifarms.net
I think perhaps one of the reasons the pig roach denies spending as much money as we know he has, is because he literally can't do math. You point out he made over $20,000 on the best streak and he denies it says it's ludicrous. Even though it is literally 100 x 200. And yet he seemingly does not believe he made that much money. Of course it could just be stupidity or lying to cover up how much you made, but what if he literally can't do the math? We all know he's on the autism spectrum with how much he rocks back and forth
I think we all knew that he would use fees and chargebacks as an excuse, but hasn't he made well over $200 on many of these streams? Surely that would be enough to make up the difference.

lavrentiyberia

kiwifarms.net
There is so much more to that denial than bad math. Let's go through the reasons he gave on Monday for why 100 x 200 ≠ 20,000

• It was spread over four months
• There were ‘charges,’ ‘fees,’ and ‘chargebacks’
- I don't know why he mistakenly lists the last two, for as we well know, he wins all chargebacks, and paypal fees are a purely optional cost for getting the money two days sooner, a frivolous waste of money that we know he wouldn't fall for. So we are left with ‘charges,’ that is, he buys stuff with his paypal account, so that money cannot be included in the 20k.
• I will quote at length the next remarkable passage that explains so much:

‘There's all these things behind the scenes, and most of that money has been going, behind the scenes, to various things. At first, it was going towards bankruptcy stuff, then it went towards tax stuff. And that's where it's going right now. Like, this week I actually have to pay my lawyer now, which means emptying the bank account of all the money that I've been raising, to pay this guy so he'll go to work and get me my payment plan, for my taxes.

But that's the stupidity of kids. Children think that when you get money, that it's immediately just expendable money that you can use for whatever you want. In reality, when you're an adult and you're in debt, you realize that that's not the case. That when you're in debt, you're at a negative, and the money you make just goes to pay the negative. Right now, I'm massively in the negative for taxes. So, no, there was no 20k that magically is money floating around to spend on shit.’
- So because the 20k couldn't be defined as a ‘rainy day fund’, which as any adult will tell you means ‘money you can spend on whatever you want, because you're bored and it's raining,’ it wasn't really 20k. He had to pay men and women who did work for him, he had to pay for things he had already agreed to pay for, before he knew he was going to be given this other money. This is the horrible reality of adulthood, I guess this is growing up.

Last edited:

Wurstbrot

This was my depression
kiwifarms.net
There is so much more to that denial than bad math. Let's go through the reasons he gave on Monday for why 100 x 200 ≠ 20,000

- I don't know why he mistakenly lists the last two, for as we well know, he wins all chargebacks, and paypal fees are a purely optional cost for getting the money two days sooner, a frivolous waste of money that we know he wouldn't fall for. So we are left with ‘charges,’ that is, he buys stuff with his paypal account, so that money cannot be included in the 20k.
Oh! I know that game, continue the sentence. Uhm. Then Phil says you have to be a gullible naive kid if you're not aware that, very naturally, this innocent successful streamer, who did nothing wrong, gets overwhelmed by fake donations and credit fraudsters. And then you get called a massive mouth drooling idiot, in an arrogant voice, for not being able to read his mind. Ack.

- So because the 20k couldn't be defined as a ‘rainy day fund’, which as any adult will tell you means ‘money you can spend on whatever you want, because you're bored and it's raining,’ it wasn't really 20k. He had to pay men and women who did work for him, he had to pay for things he had already agreed to pay for, before he knew he was going to be given this other money. This is the horrible reality of adulthood, I guess this is growing up.
But... But then what paid the bills he wouldn't be capable of paying without having said money? Oh right, the $20k fan donated, really existing vest cash. Without the shekels he would be in a massive hole. Spending the money doesn't mean you never got that money, Dave. Moving the goalpost very much?

Covfefe

Mr. God
kiwifarms.net

• I will quote at length the next remarkable passage that explains so much:

So, he's not a children's entertainer and no children ever watch him and therefore he never masturbated in front of children, but the detractors who watch him are actually entertained by him and the detractors' financial opinions mean they must be children.

Sounds like somebody is having trouble with the webs he's weaving. Congrats, Phil - either you masturbated in front of children or the detractors are right about your finances, and either way you're a liar.

Sparkletor 2.0

My first Jonbenet accidentally died
kiwifarms.net
Phil logic:

Hey dad, can I have $20?

I just gave you $20, son. What happened to that money?

You never gave me $20! You are stupid to think that! That's not how money works! I had to spend that money on weed! You are literally so dumb... So can I get that $20? I need that money, I really do.

Iron Hamster

Calculated chaos
kiwifarms.net
Phil logic:

Hey dad, can I have $20?

I just gave you $20, son. What happened to that money?

You never gave me $20! You are stupid to think that! That's not how money works! I had to spend that money on weed! You are literally so dumb... So can I get that $20? I need that money, I really do.
And that original wolverine action figure you fuck!

Chief Nigwelfacheqee

Chief Runs With 40
kiwifarms.net
To reiterate what has already been said, as someone who also plays shitty gacha games (for pixel bob n vagene rather than pixel sweaty dick punching enthusiasts) this one looks even worse than your typical run of the mill Japanese assembly line "pay to pay me" gachas that release at an hourly rate on the Google play store.

Truly remarkable how good the business world has gotten at exploiting basic human function to the point where they can milk tens of thousands of American pesos from simpletons like Philliam.

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First things first: gacha is terrible.

Secondly: Scopely are particularly terrible for rendering their games literally unplayable without paying. I dumped one of their games after a few weeks because it literally gated content so that you couldn’t even attempt it without that week‘s rare characters, which were... gated behind the gacha wheel. Some of those characters would be gated behind the pay wheel only, so there were huge chunks of content you couldn’t even attempt without cash.

Scopely are gross and Phil is dumb. This was never going to end well.

ETA: seconding Addicted by Design and also, read up a little on intermittent reinforcement. It’s one of the strongest drivers of human behaviour we’ve found. Not just in stuff like gambling, but interpersonal relationships etc. Gacha on your mobile video game is intermittent conditioning refined from base to crack.

One of the reasons we are not making the same academic progress in behavioural science now that we were making in recent decades is that social media companies, video game companies, and gambling companies pay promising students stratosphere money to work on cutting edge attention modification technology. The frontier of what we understand about the human psyche is being advanced by those proprietary apps on your phone asking for your credit card number. You are a subject in the largest mass testing of human behavioural modification ever attempted.

Last edited:
Tags
None