Despite the name, Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxiboost On is disappointingly simple - Apparently we can't have giant robots shoot and smash each other without thinking of the pilots

PoyoSato

Cute Japanese Round Cat

boztpds1pctmwlfpgozp.jpg

There have been Gundam video games for almost as long as there have been Gundam TV shows (which, for those who missed all of the celebrations in 2019, is about 41 years), and they’ve historically fallen into two categories: tactical strategy games that lean into the “war is hell” aspect of Gundam, and fighting games that lean into “gotta buy ’em all” aspect of Gundam merchandise. None of them ever really capture the exact right tone, though, with both the strategy games and fighting games often completely dropping the traditional Gundam tropes of ace pilots, rivals, and wildly corrupt authority figures drooling over the prospect of more warfare. How can there be a power-hungry commander throwing soldiers at a problem that could be solved with diplomacy if you are the power-hungry general and the only option the game gives you is to kill things with robots? And how can you care about the people inside the robots if all you’re doing is smashing them together with no regard for stories whatsoever?

Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxiboost On is the latest in a long, long, long line of Gundam games that don’t really get what makes Gundam special. It’s cool, certainly, just as all of the expensive Gundam models and figures I have on the shelves above my desk are cool (super cool, even), but that’s really all there is to it. I’m as much of a sucker for meaningless fan service as anyone else, especially when it comes to Gundam, but even suckers like me deserve better than the desperate pandering of MSGEVMO (writing out the full name would almost be quicker).

This guy is missing the entire point of the game. Even if you never played any of Gundam Vs series before, at least do a research about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin of Campbell

Un-chinny Valley
True & Honest Fan
This should probably be in games, not enough race baiting and general angering faggotry for an A&H article.

But also "why does my video game made specifically for fan-service to tons of different series not have the depth of each individual series" is absolutely fucking retarded. It's like getting angry that Smash Bros. doesn't have slow-paced, atmospheric levels because it has Metroid characters in it. Or more similarly, it's like getting angry that JoJo games with series-wide rosters don't have the same level of chemistry and interactions as the individual parts do.

Cedric_Eff

Damn property taxes f**k up everything.
This is basically the smash bros of the Gundam series. It’s not like the old Gundam games where you had like SEED or even OG Gundam man, but it’s a great.

PoyoSato

Cute Japanese Round Cat
This should probably be in games, not enough race baiting and general angering faggotry for an A&H article.

But also "why does my video game made specifically for fan-service to tons of different series not have the depth of each individual series" is absolutely fucking retarded. It's like getting angry that Smash Bros. doesn't have slow-paced, atmospheric levels because it has Metroid characters in it. Or more similarly, it's like getting angry that JoJo games with series-wide rosters don't have the same level of chemistry and interactions as the individual parts do.
I see. How do I move this post to games?

And that's good comparisons you have there.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
It’s pretty dumb complaining about the partner system (Basically match commentary) since the default is Haro, a small genderless round green robot and you can choose to and turn it off or pick from any character you want.

K. V. Bones

Boulder Puncher
Mechashit is so hard to comprehend, so let me get this straight, there's several generations of Gundam right? Not just like different seasons?

And this person is upset because they're not focusing on the pilots? When the only reason I as an outsider know that there's different seasons is hearing people talk about the different gundams.

So they would rather have a slow paced story driven slog of a game set in the Gundam universe, instead of having giant robots fucking eachother up in a series thats literally about robots fucking shit up?

Mechashit is so hard to comprehend, so let me get this straight, there's several generations of Gundam right? Not just like different seasons?

And this person is upset because they're not focusing on the pilots? When the only reason I as an outsider know that there's different seasons is hearing people talk about the different gundams.

So they would rather have a slow paced story driven slog of a game set in the Gundam universe, instead of having giant robots fucking eachother up in a series thats literally about robots fucking shit up?
Gundam is a technology; Mobile Suits (within the Gundam universes) are just tanks with arms and legs, they had obvious benefits in industry, but people found out they were fucking cool to fight with too because you could easily move around cannons that were previously limited to train tracks. The next evolution beyond Mobile Suits were Gundam units, which were high performance sports cars among mobile suits, which(in most iterations) have advanced computer systems that in the hands of a good pilot give responsive movement comparable to ballerina dancing circles around a paraplegic wheelchair sped. And then there's typically pilots "destined" to be good pilots because they're "New Types" which are treated in the series like pariahs and jews, but they're just normal people who are really good at interfacing with the advanced piloting software running in Gundams.

The original 70's Gundam was a pretty good space opera series that had a lot of politics. That story reached it's conclusion but people still wanted to see mobile suits fighting because it was basically Japan's Star Wars, so they told a few stories from the perspective of other grunts fighting on different fronts from the original series. Then they took the mecha concept and rebooted it a few times; at one point there's a weird Street Fighter tournament of Gundams, and in others it's about child slavery, space colonialism and transhumanist philosophies.

The concept isn't confusing, just trying to keep all the different reboots and stories/characters straight. Also the series started gathering fujoshit fans with Gundam Wing because the 5 main protagonists for that series were all young men checking a lot of different schlickbait boxes and there's been gay shipping ever since. This article seems mad that there isn't more pilot interaction in a language they can understand so they can tug their lizard to their smooth hairless husbandos. This isn't even the first mashup game series, they've been mixing different characters in different games for 30+ years.

K. V. Bones

Boulder Puncher
Gundam is a technology; Mobile Suits (within the Gundam universes) are just tanks with arms and legs, they had obvious benefits in industry, but people found out they were fucking cool to fight with too because you could easily move around cannons that were previously limited to train tracks. The next evolution beyond Mobile Suits were Gundam units, which were high performance sports cars among mobile suits, which(in most iterations) have advanced computer systems that in the hands of a good pilot give responsive movement comparable to ballerina dancing circles around a paraplegic wheelchair sped. And then there's typically pilots "destined" to be good pilots because they're "New Types" which are treated in the series like pariahs and jews, but they're just normal people who are really good at interfacing with the advanced piloting software running in Gundams.

The original 70's Gundam was a pretty good space opera series that had a lot of politics. That story reached it's conclusion but people still wanted to see mobile suits fighting because it was basically Japan's Star Wars, so they told a few stories from the perspective of other grunts fighting on different fronts from the original series. Then they took the mecha concept and rebooted it a few times; at one point there's a weird Street Fighter tournament of Gundams, and in others it's about child slavery, space colonialism and transhumanist philosophies.

The concept isn't confusing, just trying to keep all the different reboots and stories/characters straight. Also the series started gathering fujoshit fans with Gundam Wing because the 5 main protagonists for that series were all young men checking a lot of different schlickbait boxes and there's been gay shipping ever since. This article seems mad that there isn't more pilot interaction in a language they can understand so they can tug their lizard to their smooth hairless husbandos. This isn't even the first mashup game series, they've been mixing different characters in different games for 30+ years.
This explained it very well thank you.

garakfan69

Colleague of MovieBob
but they're just normal people who are really good at interfacing with the advanced piloting software running in Gundams.
They're not, they have telepathic/empathic powers. Which fits into Gundams anti-war theme of "understanding each other instead of fighting each other".
They're an evolved form of human that developed in space and symbolise Gundam's message of humanity needing to move on from things like war.

This explained it very well thank you.
Star wars is really the best analog because you've got the main original trilogy, you've got prequels and sequels that have vastly different production values and story that does or doesn't make sense. Then you've got all those spin-off comics and books that might be or might not be canon with one another, the kiddy shit, the Ewok VHS movies, etc.

They're not, they have telepathic/empathic powers. Which fits into Gundams anti-war theme of "understanding each other instead of fighting each other".
They're an evolved form of human that developed in space and symbolise Gundam's message of humanity needing to move on from things like war.
They've been interpreted a couple of different ways. I didn't get far enough into the original to see that version of them. "Spatial awareness" is the enhancement they all supposedly share though, whether it's being evolved psychics or getting augmented/trained.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
This article seems mad that there isn't more pilot interaction in a language they can understand so they can tug their lizard to their smooth hairless husbandos. This isn't even the first mashup game series, they've been mixing different characters in different games for 30+ years.
They’re probally upset there’s a big focus on Gundam Exa Vs (A tie-in manga from what I can tell), specifically a character called Sthesia Awar who gets like 5-6 different unlockable costumes (Including a beach costume) compared to most characters getting one and there’s also five other forms of her with their extra costumes too since she’s a AI hologram or something so either the creator or the fans must really like that character (Or maybe it’s because she’s a tie in character and a sort of mascot for the game?).

But like I say it doesn’t really matter since there’s about 45 different commentator characters to chose from or you can just turn it off.

Also there’s no English dub but it’s all subtitled.

Bruh, this loser... what are his other reviews like?

"Pokken is disappointingly simple because it's unfair Pikachu has so many costumes, and also I don't get to FUCK MY WAIFU, MAY, who are all these other characters? I only wanna FUCK MY WIAFU. That MY WAIFU isn't the one fighting basically means she is a slave to the male gaze, and that is racist. 8/10. It's shit."

It's a fightan game. You fight. How much of a sorry ass are you that you need an AI assistant to walk you through getting gud? Games journalists are the lowest form of life.

Also, I wan't to see his gunpla shelf -ahem, sorry, I mean his "expensive Gundam models and figures" shelf... I forgot he doesn't understand foreign languages for a moment.

PoyoSato

Cute Japanese Round Cat
The thing is, Maxi Boost On arcade is HUGE in Japan. The player base is still strong even after the release of it's sequel, Extreme Vs 2. To be able to finally play this on home console is a blessing for many Gundam fans. It has the right dose of fun, (relatively) balanced gameplay and fan services, a rarity among licensed game. It's really well received and user reviews are great, in Japan at least.

The game is also not just button mashing. You won't get far if you do that. Even using OP mech can be detrimental if you can't use it properly, as the lose condition is not losing life, but instead the cost gauge. As long as you have sufficient cost gauge, you can revive after shot down. The catch is, the stronger the mech, the higher the cost, thus the more of your cost gauge will deplete if you die. So low tier mechs still have advantage in that they don't have to worry too much about getting shot down. Some high level players even main low to mid tier mechs.

Although I'm not surprised, it's still kinda infuriating to read a review that's so biased, without even the basic understanding of the game. Also, if you want more story oriented Gundam game that faithful to the anime, there's SD Gundam series for you.

And many thanks to the mod for moving this post to games and cleaning the op. Much appreciated.

Tism the Return

2021 is the new 2020
Munchkins don't know jack about what they get paid to write about (and most likely only wrote about it because the game came out recently), color me surprised. Gundam Vs is perfectly serviceable.

Exbein

I'm not Huckebein
so, yeah, in the fighting general thread I said that I still can't play the game because of too much rest day overtime.
now its my day off, the area that I live in went on shutdown again due to wuflu cases spike, so I can't buy a copy (inb4 why not download on PS4, I like physical copies)
One of these days I will get to play the game....
If you guys encounter someone maining Harute, Exia, Full Armor Unicorn, and playing extremely bad, its me

Anyway, on EXVSMBON, I dunno what to feel about bumping 1000 to 1500. sure it gives them survivability, but it should have some boost gauge bumps as well. and I feel that it kinda defeats their purpose