Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Not suck

Votes: 92 58.2%

• Total voters

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe, it's hard to say given the angle and that the camera's moving.

It doesn't look like a shady underground arena from the looks of it, but it could be pretty intense. We may get to see the entirety of that Blastoise vs. Gengar battle, looks really exciting. This can make up for the lack of Pokémon Stadium/Battle Revolution this past decade.
I was thinking, maybe it’s an actual regulated battling arena. Because I’d imagine they’d have to regulate battles if Pokémon were in the real world. Like seriously, imagine having your Kadabra fight your friend’s Magmar in your backyard or something. You’d end up burning the neighborhood down or something.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking, maybe it’s an actual regulated battling arena. Because I’d imagine they’d have to regulate battles if Pokémon were in the real world. Like seriously, imagine having your Kadabra fight your friend’s Magmar in your backyard or something. You’d end up burning the neighborhood down or something.
Oh totally. The interesting thing is, though, Ryme City in the game never really brought up anything about there being a stadium for Pokémon battles. Apparently it's not prohibited, so battles would have to take place outside the city limits. That's why a lot of fans were speculating the arena to be underground, but it looks a bit too official to be illegal lol. I really do love that the screens flash "CRITICAL HIT" in allusion to the games. Little touches like that are so delightful.

Just throwing this out here that I went to the movies last night and they played the first trailer, and it was just magnifique to see on the big screen. May can't come soon enough.

CausticMinory

"Bring Light to my plight"
kiwifarms.net
I swear to Arceus if Mr. Mime is important to the plot beyond comic relief I will shit.

And I'm really hoping this movie does good. To contrast with how boring the game was.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
And I'm really hoping this movie does good. To contrast with how boring the game was.
Personally I think the mystery genre should be explored more with Pokémon, but while it kinda held your hand a bit, I thought it was charming. The flashback montages were really well-shot, I must say.

Now Mewtwo did jackshit, all he did was stalk survey Pikachu from a distance and only talked to him in person twice during the main storyline saying stuff along the lines of "Humans suck baaaaw" and "Are you keeping your promise? You better be keeping your promise or else." He practically admitted he could've just tracked down his cells and got rid of them himself, but since Pikachu wanted to save his partner's life, that's why he kept his distance to uphold his end of the promise. Except for some reason part of that bargain meant giving Pikachu amnesia, so how the hell was he supposed to know to do that. And then at the end he goes "Yeah, your dad's alive, but I am not telling you where he is. Figure it out for yourself, faggot", and fucks off to wherever because he's a dick.

So I'm hoping they actually gave Mewtwo something good to do in the movie, even if it's just for one fight sequence. Also hope whoever they got to voice Mewtwo sounds appropriate (and godly in surround sound hnnnnnngh), his voice had to take a lot of exposure to get used to for me.

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apologies for double post, but apparently the movie was filmed on actual film instead of digital to “enhance the noir feel”.

No idea if that will actually do anything, but it’s kinda interesting. One of those little things that show they’re putting actual effort into the movie.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Apologies for double post, but apparently the movie was filmed on actual film instead of digital to “enhance the noir feel”.

No idea if that will actually do anything, but it’s kinda interesting. One of those little things that show they’re putting actual effort into the movie.
Oh my God that's great. The more stuff comes out about this movie, the more I love it. And it's mainly shot on location, too, which is fucking fantastic eat my shorts, Hobbit trilogy.

Though now that I think about it, that does explain why it has a grainy look to it. Digital's too "clean" compared to 35mm film. It's one of those things your brain picks up even if you can't register it, and therefore it's going to look really interesting on the big screen. I think it'd be pretty hilarious if they ship out copies of film reels to force theaters to pull out their old film projectors to play it. :story:

Clockwork_PurBle

John Goldfarb, get your ass back home.
kiwifarms.net
Y'all I might actually go out and make an effort to see this. The last time I made a pilgrimage to the theatre was Zootopia (it was that or My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 or God's Not Dead 3, I made my choice).

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

tfw the pokeymans is the last bastion of cinematography

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
I just saw Captain Marvel and saw that the writer Nicole Perlman helped draft the story/co-write Captain Marvel and co-wrote Guardians 1. She's one of the writers for DP. I'm more confident in the movie now.

I'll just say that judging from the first screenings/reactions so far and what we've seen plus those movies, seems to be that the movie will likely be very entertaining and fun, with effort put into this but I'm not so sure it will be anything more than a popcorn flick (seems to be that some of the biggest flaws I remembered being called out are a possible generic story/underwhelming villain). Which is totally fine btw. I'm not expecting Shawshank Redemption out of a summer blockbuster.

I don't understand though, Both Guardians of the Galaxy 2014 and Captain Marvel were pretty mediocre. but still over 80% of critics gave it a positive review? But films like Jurassic World, Aquaman, Venom and even that Tomb Raider Reboot were all pretty flawed but entertaining but they weren't given much leniency by critics. EDIT: I don't think I should too much stock into critic scores but it's interesting to me.

As for the very old news that a 22 Jumpstreet writer has been hired to write a potential sequel, seems like he's pretty mediocre. But it looks like he knows his way around comedy at least so that seems good.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net

Reeee my autism is triggered reeee

The first Pokémon film to not get a G rating anywhere outside of Canada (nobody cares) was Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Japan gave it a PG-12, which was a big deal at the time (although I swear to God I saw a printed PG on a Lucario DVD, I know I saw it). Rise of Darkrai, Kyurem VS the Sword of Justice, and The Power of Us got the PG rating, as well (as taken from Bulbapedia, but I totally believe those are the actual ratings anyway). I've also been thinking that Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution will get a PG rating despite being a remake of the first film because everything that could get a G rating in the '90s get rated PG when made today.

So anyway, yeah, here's the official rating given, no surprise here:

:optimistic: I hope that last sentence isn't a joke (but it probably is). :optimistic:

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 694566
Reeee my autism is triggered reeee

The first Pokémon film to not get a G rating anywhere outside of Canada (nobody cares) was Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Japan gave it a PG-12, which was a big deal at the time (although I swear to God I saw a printed PG on a Lucario DVD, I know I saw it). Rise of Darkrai, Kyurem VS the Sword of Justice, and The Power of Us got the PG rating, as well (as taken from Bulbapedia, but I totally believe those are the actual ratings anyway). I've also been thinking that Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution will get a PG rating despite being a remake of the first film because everything that could get a G rating in the '90s get rated PG when made today.

So anyway, yeah, here's the official rating given, no surprise here:
View attachment 694576
:optimistic: I hope that last sentence isn't a joke (but it probably is). :optimistic:
Pikachu will only say “fuck” on Ryan Reynold’s Youtube channel.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
We just keep getting more information on the making-of this film, and I just love it. IGN link, but I'm posting it anyway because it does give you a good glimpse into the production.

Creating “Live-Action” Pokemon

Before we got to watch them film the big battle, we were shown the production design room where the walls were covered in concept art showing what each Pokemon would look like in the movie. You’ve all seen the trailer, but at the time, we had no idea how these “live-action” Pokemon were going to look. That’s where I got my first glimpse of live-action Charizard. It had rough, scaly skin like a Game of Thrones dragon and real fire on its tail. In a word, it was awesome.

We spoke with Greg Baxter, the film’s visual effects producer, who said the folks at TPC were very particular about how the Pokemon look because they wanted each one to be instantly recognizable. They gave detailed notes to make sure every Pokemon had just the right appearance, from their height and weight down to the shape of their eyes and the length of their claws. They even gave feedback to make sure each Pokemon stood and moved in the proper way.

“Rob Letterman's vision for the movie is to kind of ground it in reality. Even though Ryme City is kind of a made up city, it's supposed to feel present-day and feel like all these creatures that you've seen mostly in very bright colors and anime style are sitting in the room with you,” Baxter explained. “And so Pokemon to Pokemon, they have different textures, some are furry, some are kind of leathery or snakey or whatever. But for every creature we took real-world animals and drew from that. You take the skin of a snake, the eyes of different kind of character, we kind of put all these pieces together to form what that Pokemon would look like. ... Even though they're a creature that doesn't exist in our world, all of the elements of what makes them up in this movie are drawn from animals that do exist in our world.”

How Many Pokemon Will Be in Detective Pikachu?

Baxter told us that about 60 Pokemon will be included in the movie. But as we’ve seen from the trailer, dozens more are referenced on posters, street signs, and such throughout the movie. Ryme City, the metropolis that acts as a main setting of the movie, is a treasure trove of Pokemon Easter eggs. So even if your favorite isn’t among those chosen for the movie, keep an eye out because you still might catch a nod to them somewhere in the background.

They Had a Rude Awakening About Pokemon Physiology

When choosing which Pokemon to use for the film, Baxter was surprised to learn some disturbing facts. For example, his team designed a lifelike version of Sawk, a humanoid fighting Pokemon that looks like it’s wearing a gi, complete with a black belt tied around its waist.

Only, Baxter told us that when they showed it to TPC, they got some unexpected news.

“We found out that the outfit is actually it's skin,” he recalled with a laugh.

And that goes for other outfit-wearing Pokemon like Machamp and Mr. Mime. Those are flesh clothes. Enjoy that knowledge!

Why Did It Take This Long to Get a Live-Action Pokemon Movie?

The Pokemon anime has been around since 1997, but we’re only just now getting a live-action movie. The reason for that is simple: technology is finally at a place where digitally rendering live-action Pokemon will look good. Producer Ali Mendes said they didn’t want to take the same approach as The Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks where they’re essentially little cartoon characters running around in a live-action world. They were inspired by the creatures of the Fantastic Beasts movies, which are of such high quality they look a natural part of the environment, and they wanted the same thing for Pokemon.

Why Is Detective Pikachu Battling Charizard in the First Place?

Warning: the next section contains mild plot spoilers! (Note: So I'm sticking it in spoilers.)

In the trailer, Pikachu seems confident as he enters the battlefield, saying, “Well obviously I’ve dealt with this putz before, so I’ll just do it again.” That’s because a clue leads Tim and Pikachu to an underground Pokemon fight club called the Roundhouse. Pokemon battling isn’t quite illegal, but it’s heavily frowned upon because of Ryme City’s progressive views on Pokemon. Roundhouse is run by a Pokemon pop star named Sebastian, who tells them that Tim’s father Harry had come there with Pikachu before he disappeared. Turns out Pikachu had beaten Charizard in a battle -- you can even see the scar Pikachu gave Charizard on its face and burns on Sebastian’s coat where he got caught by a lightning bolt. But before Sebastian will give them anymore information on Harry, he says that Pikachu will have to beat Charizard in a rematch. Only, as Pikachu learns the hard way, he’s not exactly built for battling, which leads to, well, you’ve seen the trailer.

Sure, the battle looks exciting and dangerous in the trailer, but what I saw on set was a obviously little different. There were people in green-screen suits holding up a big Charizard head and tail and running it across the arena towards Pikachu, which was represented by a little plastic model that another person made scurry away. All the while, Ryan Reynolds’ pre-recorded lines were playing over a loudspeaker. That’s the magic of making movies, folks.

Yet even though I wasn’t seeing the final product, it was clear they were doing an excellent job capturing the vibe of a “real” Pokemon battle. It was just like I’d always imagined since seeing one in the first episode of the anime. There was a crowd gathered dressed in fashions inspired by the world of Pokemon, and some were wearing markers to indicate where their Pokemon would be digitally added later. They were chanting and cheering as the Pokemon squared off. Big screens displayed phrases from the games like “It’s super effective!”

When they took a break from filming we got to walk into the arena and, let me tell you, stepping onto an actual Pokemon battlefield with all the little details just right, like the painted lines and damage from previous battles marring the surface, was nothing short of magical.
They also got to check out the set for the lab, but they weren't told at the time what it was for--the writer got his geek on and figured it out pretty quickly it involved Mewtwo, though lol.

So TL;DR is:

1. There will be about 60 Pokémon featured in the film, not including the Easter Eggs. Gotta spot 'em all!

2. The Charizard prop had actual fire on its tail my God lol.

3. Pokémon took 20 years to get a live-action film because they waited for technology to catch up (duh). Still, though, on top of the movie being filmed on actual film on location, there's plenty of practical effects and hand-crafted set pieces they've used on top of visual effects.

4. The filmmakers and special effects team worked closely with TPC so the Pokémon would look authentic. That included learning about Pokémon skin. Guess Mr. Mime's literally made out of rubber. Sweet dreams, kiddies!

5. Yup, the battle arena's definitely an underground stadium as expected, though the article calls it a "fight club", so maybe that's what it is (keep those memes a'coming). Not illegal or shady, though. Chances are also high that everyone involved with that scene got in touch with their ten-year-old selves and was the highlight of their day, if not life.

And basically confirming what was previously posted:

They believe in the potential for a possible cinematic universe because of how rich the Pokémon universe is.

The official Pokémon website also has a making-of article. Legendary revealed they had the rights for a Pokémon movie for a few years before Pokémon GO was announced, but Detective Pikachu was the adaptation they were looking for to get out of development hell.

These parts stand out to me, the most:

Some blink-and-you'll-miss-it details in the underground arena are sure to remind fans of some of their own battles from the Pokémon video games. Like many real-life stadiums, the arena set features a large video screen, and we see it flashing some familiar phrases that are sure to stand out to veteran fans, including “But it failed!”

Greg Baxter described an even subtler reference to classic video game battles: “We're trying to use cameras that have a bit of a throwback to some of the games,” he said. “[It's] not really what you'd normally expect from a film camera—kind of quick movements flying through the scene, to try to get some of that look in [and] give fans what they're expecting from those battles in this particular moment.”
Omg Pokémon Stadium camera zooms I can't wait.

Longtime fans will be particularly excited by one set Newton described. The set shows off Evolution stones and is kind of like an exhibit of the history of Pokémon, she said.

“So to have a big rock with this shiny moon in the middle or a lightning bolt—it's really cool; they look ancient,” Newton said. “I think fans are going to be like, ‘Look at that!' People are who are actually fans will notice these details in the film.”
Omg I'm going to faint. (But that looks like what the scene with the Flareon is.)

While we were on the set of POKÉMON Detective Pikachu, it was fun to learn just how many of the cast and crew members are fans of Pokémon. For example, Justice Smith has a soft spot for the Big Jaw Pokémon—perfect for someone who has so many lines in the film.

“My sister and I had all of the original [Pokémon TCG cards], and I used to watch the show [Pokémon the Series] all the time, and we used to play the card game,” he said. “My favorite Pokémon was Totodile. I had a little Totodile figurine I would carry with me everywhere that I went, so when I got this job, it was like a childhood dream come true.”

His costar Kathryn Newton was similarly inspired by her early memories of Pokémon.

“I was into the show,” she explained. “I'm an artist, and it actually got me into drawing the Pokémon characters, which led to me drawing anime characters. And now I'm a fashion illustrator and really into fashion, so it's kind of interesting that Pokémon really led the way for that for me.”
:heart-full::heart-full::heart-full:

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I've also been thinking that Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution will get a PG rating despite being a remake of the first film because everything that could get a G rating in the '90s get rated PG when made today.
:optimistic:My pipe dreams is for it to finally get an accurate translation with the correct music. :optimistic:

Omg I'm going to faint. (But that looks like what the scene with the Flareon is.)
I think the short bit with the magnifying glass at the end of the last trailer is supposed to be part of the same set. There's a stone at the end that is most certainly a Ice Stone (you can see the snowflake pattern), next to it is possibly an Adamant Orb, and next to that is a Griseous Orb. Although I could be wrong and the Adamant Orb is actually a Nevermeltice, I doubt it considering the Flareon evolved next to Dialga and Palkia statues and I don't think the other displayed item can be anything else.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
:optimistic:My pipe dreams is for it to finally get an accurate translation with the correct music. :optimistic:
An accurate script with the original dub score sounds great imo, but the dub might not keep the original Japanese (which may get a new score itself, but keep the organ leitmotif please). Least we won't get pop songs lol. :optimistic::optimistic::optimistic:

I think the short bit with the magnifying glass at the end of the last trailer is supposed to be part of the same set. There's a stone at the end that is most certainly a Ice Stone (you can see the snowflake pattern), next to it is possibly an Adamant Orb, and next to that is a Griseous Orb. Although I could be wrong and the Adamant Orb is actually a Nevermeltice, I doubt it considering the Flareon evolved next to Dialga and Palkia statues and I don't think the other displayed item can be anything else.
It stated it's like part of an exhibit showcasing the history of Pokémon, so it's like at a museum or someplace.

It could be at Dr. Waals house as he gives them the backstory of R's creation. I believe Bill Nighy's Dr. Waals, so this could be the scene he's in. It'd back up his interview where he said he admired two slabs of "Grecian art" on the set.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino