Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 66 41.5%
  • Not suck

Votes: 93 58.5%

• Total voters

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Actually, now I remember that one art that was made regarding the Japanese monorail or something with someone holding their Squirtle as it plays on their smartphone.
I don't believe I've seen this one, it sounds super adorable on top of creating all sorts of questions such as "If a Pokémon can play phone games, can Pokémon (that aren't Porygon) surf the Web and create social media accounts like everyone else?" and oh God the endless possibilities.

Guess that's one reason why it feels so natural for Pokémon to get a movie after so long: It's a huge sandbox to play around in. And a Detective Pikachu universe really and truly is the most perfect universe to experiment in.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't believe I've seen this one, it sounds super adorable on top of creating all sorts of questions such as "If a Pokémon can play phone games, can Pokémon (that aren't Porygon) surf the Web and create social media accounts like everyone else?" and oh God the endless possibilities.

Guess that's one reason why it feels so natural for Pokémon to get a movie after so long: It's a huge sandbox to play around in. And a Detective Pikachu universe really and truly is the most perfect universe to experiment in.
Took me forever to track down, but here it is.

Chin of Campbell

Hail to the Chin
kiwifarms.net
I'm optimistic about this movie. The effects are great, and the studio could have just as easily shit out an easy green screen nightmare with Pokemon models ripped straight from go and given fur effects. Instead they went for a very specific look and went all in on it, down to using actual film to fit the tone. I don't know how well the actual story and acting will be, but the atmosphere and world they're building here is the most exciting part by far.

I'm also a bit worried that when this inevitably annihilates the box office that it's going to get Cinematic Universed HARD (I mean, they're already talking about a Mewtwo origin story and a Kanto movie) and they won't be able to replicate what they've potentialy done here. I guess with the Marvel stuff effectively coming to an end to be replaced by the Diversity Hire Squad the populace will need a new cinematic universe to fawn over perpetually. I just hope they keep to the level of quality that seems to be present with this film.

Well, they have phone games for cats and dogs too. The Squirtle in that picture looks more like "What am I looking at" than like he's about to make a twitter and start shitposting.

Then again I can imagine Mewtwo sitting in his cave and feverishly posting galaxy brain memes on a stolen iPhone while he waits for some kid to come and throw his pets at him.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I'm also a bit worried that when this inevitably annihilates the box office that it's going to get Cinematic Universed HARD (I mean, they're already talking about a Mewtwo origin story and a Kanto movie) and they won't be able to replicate what they've potentialy done here. I guess with the Marvel stuff effectively coming to an end to be replaced by the Diversity Hire Squad the populace will need a new cinematic universe to fawn over perpetually. I just hope they keep to the level of quality that seems to be present with this film.
Yeah, that's what I'm most worried about. It's super easy to fuck up sequels, and they confirmed they hired someone to work on the sequel script who wasn't involved with this one, so it's a wait and see. If anything, I'd rather any new Detective Pikachu sequels go on Netflix, but with Netflix being Netflix...

Then again I can imagine Mewtwo sitting in his cave and feverishly posting galaxy brain memes on a stolen iPhone while he waits for some kid to come and throw his pets at him.
We already have Mewtwo on the Farms, but @confusedMyuutsu hasn't been seen for a year. Guess Red finally got to him.

Hey wait a minute.

stolen iPhone
Get that weak shit out of here, Mewtwo would've invented himself something better than anything the inferior human race could come up with.

EDIT: Vogt-Roberts, the director of Kong: Skull Island, has seen the film twice, and is promoting it claiming the video game curse is broken.

This is also the second time it's been said that Psyduck has stolen the show. I'm heavily inclined to believe this despite the man's lolcow status.

Last edited:

Feline Darkmage

Feelin Dankmeme
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is also the second time it's been said that Psyduck has stolen the show. I'm heavily inclined to believe this despite the man's lolcow status.
Vogt is a thin skinned cuck for sure but he's also a professional. He knows what he's doing most of the time. Just don't poke fun at him I guess.

That being said I'm also actually pretty hype about this film.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
I meant outside the movie, rather. From a marketing standpoint, around the DVD release or so.

What I'm saying is I want to see awful boomer memes with Psyduck.
Considering when Pokemon came out, a lot of Boomers have kids who were into Pokemon, so they kind of know them, they probably already know Pikachu and whichever one was their kid's favorite. Also, at this point, if you don't know at least Pikachu, where the hell have you been?

Reactions: mrdk_04

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net

I don't think a pokemon could surf the web or run a social media- it'd probably be more like giving a clever toddler your phone to play a game.

It's still cute as fuck though.

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that's what I'm most worried about. It's super easy to fuck up sequels, and they confirmed they hired someone to work on the sequel script who wasn't involved with this one, so it's a wait and see. If anything, I'd rather any new Detective Pikachu sequels go on Netflix, but with Netflix being Netflix...

We already have Mewtwo on the Farms, but @confusedMyuutsu hasn't been seen for a year. Guess Red finally got to him.

Hey wait a minute.

Get that weak shit out of here, Mewtwo would've invented himself something better than anything the inferior human race could come up with.

EDIT: Vogt-Roberts, the director of Kong: Skull Island, has seen the film twice, and is promoting it claiming the video game curse is broken.
View attachment 724042
View attachment 724043

That's sounds awesome! I'm way more hyped now If what that director says is true.

But IDK if this means the "video game curse" is entirely broken. I think it just means that Pokemon is the perfect video game property to adapt for movies. there's a plethora of reasons why every other one failed critically (but maybe not financially).

I'm so excited. I'm gonna buy tickets this weekend. What's interesting about the movie is that according to some box office followers the movie hasn't been very "presale heavy" like a Star Wars or Marvel movie which I wouldn't expect given how a large chunk of Pokemon's fanbase seems like the type to rush out OW to see a movie.

But it's also a family movie (PG rating) and those usually open small but have very good weekend drops. Like Frozen and Zootopia.

I know everyone wants and there are plans for a Red and Blue adaptation but I want to see a Diamond and Pearl live action movie. Likely in 2020 they're gonna remake the game following Pokemon's Gen remake patterns so I think making an adaptation of that game to tie in with the remake release would be awesome even if it's a pipe dream.

I'm curious to see though how unless they're gonna split each main series game into multiple movie, how they'll be able to adapt the mainstream video games series stories in a limited amount of time without it feeling rushed. Even Pokemon Generations felt pretty fast paced to me.

Personally I'd love if the Pokemon live action movies can just be self contained one-off stories like the anime movies did. But I'm getting ahead of myself so you guys can ignore this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrdk_04

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I know everyone wants and there are plans for a Red and Blue adaptation but I want to see a Diamond and Pearl live action movie.
Everyone wants a Black/White adaptation, but I think a Platinum movie would be cool for the Distortion World alone.

The one that's least likely to get adapted is Crystal, unfortunately. It's too oriental for Western audiences despite the exotic nature of it, though they'd probably make it anyway because the Japanese audience would adore it.

Chin of Campbell

Hail to the Chin
kiwifarms.net
Hot Take: Make movies about Legendaries and events in each region which use that region's main trainer as a binding thread. Then, over the course of a few movies covering minor legendaries, we watch the trainer and their Pokemon grow together and ultimately face the big boys of that region.

Gen 4 Part 1: Darkrai and Cresselia
Gen 4 Part 2: Shaymin and Manaphy
Gen 4 Part 3: Cover Legends Part 1 (Lake Trio and Dialga/Palkia)
Gen 4 Part 4: Cover Legends Part 2 (Giratina and Arceus)

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, if they stick to the “make movies about spinoff games”, we could have movies of Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Ranger, ect.

I’d actually be super interested in seeing a more horror-themed Pokémon movie, given just how creepy some of those Pokédex entires can be.

Reactions: Chin of Campbell

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I’d actually be super interested in seeing a more horror-themed Pokémon movie, given just how creepy some of those Pokédex entires can be.
Fuck yes. Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky is practically psychological horror in some ways (that one scene where your partner happily tries to coerce you into killing yourself in a nightmare is pretty shocking), so that'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Colosseum I think would make an excellent movie, though. Sure, they'd shove in all the Mad Max references they could make, but I think it can work.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino