Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 75 35.4%
  • Not suck

Votes: 137 64.6%

• Total voters

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
any movie that's at all dark looks like shit at most movie theaters because the cheap cunts run the projector at like 50% brightness
Yeah, that's what I think was probably going on. Ironically, I saw it at a theatre that's the fanciest and most high-tech Cineplex in the city, whereas, at the slightly more "ghetto" Cineplex I usually go to if I want to see a movie first-run (because it's a little cheaper and also near a Walmart and a Loblaws supermarket), I don't think I've ever had the dim bulb problem.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
The movie didn't feel dark to me, and we kinda had a crummy projector (we got free passes at the end because of it, there was nothing wrong with the movie itself and it was easily ignored). It had enough colors and shadows to give it that noir, cartoony feel but it's a warm movie in spite of the nighttime scenes. It has really gorgeous scenery and they didn't let any frame go unused or kept empty space without reason. This is probably why it is multiple viewings are a must, and not just to pick out the Easter eggs.

Chin of Campbell

Hail to the Chin
kiwifarms.net
This is probably the first video game movie (or any adaptation really) that feels like it could actually be happening in the world of the games without being some kind of reboot or retelling. Like this movie could be 100% canon and there wouldn't be much to conflict with it.

As a movie? Bit weak.

This movie is like a very beautiful woman kneeling down and fellating your autism and cupping your childhood dreams of a live action Pokemon movie while shitty pop music plays in the background.

The pop music isn't quite loud enough to take away from the incredible slurping you're getting, but it's enough to make you wish for a better song next time.

Also I want to add that I got a fucking collosal smile on my face when the credits rolled and the Pokemon theme kicked in, then had every major character in the modern Pokemon art style. Fucking made me want them to show up in the games some time.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is probably the first video game movie (or any adaptation really) that feels like it could actually be happening in the world of the games without being some kind of reboot or retelling. Like this movie could be 100% canon and there wouldn't be much to conflict with it.

As a movie? Bit weak.

This movie is like a very beautiful woman kneeling down and fellating your autism and cupping your childhood dreams of a live action Pokemon movie while shitty pop music plays in the background.

The pop music isn't quite loud enough to take away from the incredible slurping you're getting, but it's enough to make you wish for a better song next time.

Also I want to add that I got a fucking collosal smile on my face when the credits rolled and the Pokemon theme kicked in, then had every major character in the modern Pokemon art style. Fucking made me want them to show up in the games some time.
I’d love to get a manga adaptation of the movie in that style.

awoo

Hmmm?
kiwifarms.net
Gorgeous worldbuilding and very nice animation (small detail: fur animation is on point). A little cliche but I didn't mind. where have we seen gas parade balloons before? Pikachu was very cute.
100% a solid example of live-action adaptations of cartoons actually working. Credits looked sick also.

Reactions: SteelPlatedHeart

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
It had issues with the film, but the world they present is awesome, and the Pokemon look amazing.

And Pikachu is adorabibbles.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Pokemon movies after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: awoo

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Keep your fucking bullshit politics out of Pokémon, Frozen fangirl.

Agree with everything else, though, but that fucking bulletpoint is complete unnecessary.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 755497
Agree with everything else, though, but that fucking bulletpoint is complete unnecessary.
LOL. The stuff people like that look for in a movie are just hilarious to me.

Is that to imply that if the movie was exactly the same, but the villain was an old black dude that got outsmarted by a white kid, it would be a lesser film?

Or is this person saying that black actors should NEVER be villains in movies and all movie villains should be white males? Because that's awfully restrictive.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Tim Goodman isn't even a teenager, he's a grown ass man. Maybe I'm already losing my mind, but I could have sworn the birthday card he found said happy 21st birthday. Even if I am losing it and imagined that part I was under the impression that Tim is, like his actor, a young twenty-something.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tim Goodman isn't even a teenager, he's a grown ass man. Maybe I'm already losing my mind, but I could have sworn the birthday card he found said happy 21st birthday. Even if I am losing it and imagined that part I was under the impression that Tim is, like his actor, a young twenty-something.
Yeah, he’s definitely in his 20’s.

• Agree
Reactions: Trombonista

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
LOL. The stuff people like that look for in a movie are just hilarious to me.

Is that to imply that if the movie was exactly the same, but the villain was an old black dude that got outsmarted by a white kid, it would be a lesser film?

Or is this person saying that black actors should NEVER be villains in movies and all movie villains should be white males? Because that's awfully restrictive.
Also they overlooked the fact the villain's a dying cripple. I guess you can discriminate against the handicapped as long as they're rich cishet old men.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I don't know the source since I saw it on TV Tropes (though I figure she said it in an interview or on Twitter somewhere), but I learned last night that when they were filming the lab and forest scenes, Kathryn literally carried around 40 pounds of weight alongside the Psyduck prop strapped to her back to make it look like she was carrying around an actual Psyduck. That's attention to detail. (Also, Lucy's interactions with Psyduck are just so adorable.)

scorptatious

Puts the F-U in Kung Fu
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed it. I'd imagine it wouldn't be your cup of tea if you were never into Pokemon, but it was fun regardless. Ryan Reynolds of course stole the show.

View attachment 755497
Funny thing is

The guy's technically half white according to the end.

TheMonkeyMan

kiwifarms.net
I thought that this had a pretty strong first act and fell off a cliff after that. I wasn't surprised that there were four credited screenwriters.

Did they ever establish
Ditto's mimicking ability before the big reveal? I know that one appeared in the background but I don't remember it doing anything

Also, was there anything from Gen 7? If there was, I missed it.

Oh Ok Yeah That's Cool

strut bitch
kiwifarms.net
Not gonna lie, I actually cried a little when they showed all the bird pokemon flying and the bouffalant and just Ryme City in general. I agree with everyone here that there were some issues but you can easily over look them because of of the world building and the visuals. The ending gave me some feels definitely and all in all it was still pretty solid to me and what a vidya movie should be. I've always wanted something like this ever since I was a kid, and seeing it in theaters, in live action made me feel like a kid again. Its rare for that shit to happen so my autism was definitely sated.

Also my boy Diplo was a DJ in the underground fighting arena and I spaghetti'd. Fucking loved all of it.

Reactions: SteelPlatedHeart
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino