Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • Not suck

Votes: 144 65.5%

• Total voters

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought that this had a pretty strong first act and fell off a cliff after that. I wasn't surprised that there were four credited screenwriters.

Did they ever establish
Ditto's mimicking ability before the big reveal? I know that one appeared in the background but I don't remember it doing anything

Also, was there anything from Gen 7? If there was, I missed it.
Ditto in the tv station was the same Ditto. It’s his Partner Pokémon. It turned into a human and wheeled the bad guy away. That why the son yelled “And no one likes your Pokémon” or something .
There were some Comfey flying around when Tim gets to the city.

Reactions: TheMonkeyMan

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
I thought that this had a pretty strong first act and fell off a cliff after that. I wasn't surprised that there were four credited screenwriters.

Did they ever establish
Ditto's mimicking ability before the big reveal? I know that one appeared in the background but I don't remember it doing anything

Yeah, they did. They showed the Ditto and after the news segment, it turned into one of the crew members and pushed the villian's wheelchair out of the studio.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net

Did they ever establish

Morelull made an appearance.

• Agree
Reactions: Trombonista
Z

ZN 322

kiwifarms.net
Just got back from the movie and it was pretty enjoyable. It was a 10/10 but it was funny, had some good battle scenes, and the Pokemon models were great. I'm just happy my favorite Pokemon got included even if it was just for a brief scene.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
Thinking back to it, I'm sure everyone in the theater heard me squee when the Totodile photograph popped up, might've been the loudest I was next to Howard talking through Mewtwo, my brother three seats down heard me during that. I should feel ashamed or embarrassed of it, but I guess there's no helping expressing literal happiness alongside everyone else.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I'll say this too.

Last year I said that Rampage (a forgettable and clunky action film) was, by default, the best video game movie I've ever seen.

It really tells you how low the standards are for video game adaptations on film.

Thankfully, I can now say that Detective Pikachu is the best video game movie I've ever seen and it was legitimately enjoyable.

Reactions: Kari Kamiya

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Yooo, anyone got an idea as to how they got that Gyarados out of the Roundhouse? The police I'm sure handled it, but what do you think they did to get it out?

The Snorlax blocking traffic sated my favorite pokemon watch since there were no Electabuzzes or Sableyes. One thing that I did like was the nod to the Squirtle Squad they had in the intro to Ryme City. But hands down, Audino had to be one of the cutest mons in the entire movie. The realistic designs really grew on me.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
The biggest problem isn't so much that it needs water since Gyarados in the anime is shown to do okay on land like in Mewtwo Strikes Back, at least temporarily. The bigger issue is squeezing it out the door while making sure it's sufficiently calm. Putting it in a Pokeball is the simplest solution so maybe the police have some on hand for emergency situations like this. Something like that is probably a international standard in the Pokemon world but the circumstances in Ryme City make it questionable.

On that note though I like to imagine that in major cities in the Pokemon world (except for I suppose Ryme City) the police force have powerful Pokemon across all 18 types on hand for any kind of emergency. Average-size cities might too but smaller cities and towns borrow from a regional box as needed.

nonnewtonian

For legal reasons that's a joke
kiwifarms.net
Enjoyed it overall, but the plot was way too convoluted with too many exposition dumps saved until the last 10 or so minutes. I know complaining about the plot in a Pokemon movie made for children is stupid but goddamn. They had a decent premise going and threw it out the window to force in a twist ending.

Ryme City was my favorite part of the movie. Since the first game we've been told that people and Pokemon live and work together, but Pokemon and humans have always been pretty separated in the games and even the anime. The towns/cities are where the people live and the wilds are where the Pokemon live, with little overlap. Finally seeing Pokemon and people living side by side was awesome. They clearly put thought into how Pokemon and people would interact outside of battling.
you're probably going to like the mr mime scene then, it's the funniest part of the movie even when justice smith pours gasoline on the mr mime and sets it on fire
I thought you were taking the piss and lost my shit when it actually happened.

Reactions: Trombonista

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Brad Jones and friend liked Detective Pikachu (first review, so first thirty minutes). They acknowledge it has its flaws and understand it's a kids' film, but they liked it for what it is. (In fact, Brad admits in the video he toned down his criticisms of DP because of The Hustle.) Also doubt that Brad was aware of the Danny DeVito meme, but he said he could've been Pikachu just fine; so the comment from one of the producers about DeVito's soul still being in Pikachu is true, then.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Went to the cinema to see it myself. There was a line nearly out the door, even with 4 staff selling tickets. Lot of families with kids there, so I think it was mostly the mums/dads that were into Pokemon when they were younger bringing the littleies along.

They had to play about 8 minutes worth of ads to catch up with the demand, so there was a delay before it started.

Honestly though, I'd say it's a pretty solid movie. It's not going to win oscars or anything like that, but Ryan/Pikachu's snarky lines and coffee addiction does pretty well resonate with us Aussies.

The Mr Mime scene was fantastic, I gotta admit. Wouldn't have thought it would have worked that well, and there were lots of little nods, plenty of bird Pokemon around,

I'd say it's about a high 7 or a low 8 out of 10. Lots of nice callbacks to earlier in the movie, and with the games themselves, and while the plot's nothing groundbreaking, it's an affectionate parody of detective films, being mostly light-hearted but with some drama and action as well. Some of the Pokemon look a little off, like wet Pikachu, but overall it's pretty solid.

The little manga scenes before the credits was nice as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more live action Pokemon movies.

Reactions: ConfederateIrishman

Chin of Campbell

The Coming Chin
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 756194
These fucking people are ruining the good mojo in the #detective pikachu tag.
Yeah because the first five minutes of the movie is Mewtwo fucking shit up then blowing up a white dude's car. At least these people are putting money toward more Pokemon movies. Useful idiots and all that.

Kinda surprised none of the woke crowd are giving this movie shit for being about a black kid looking for his disappeared dad. Or for having the "wrong" kind of race mixing.

#BLEACHED

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net

Did they ever establish

After Milo frees himself, he makes a comment that's half drowned out by action scene noises that his father's Ditto is one of his father's experiments. I think that's suppose to be the justification for why it can transform into people

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino