Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • Not suck

Votes: 144 65.5%

• Total voters

Kari Kamiya

Gun Version Legendary Mascot
kiwifarms.net
After Milo frees himself, he makes a comment that's half drowned out by action scene noises that his father's Ditto is one of his father's experiments. I think that's suppose to be the justification for why it can transform into people
Lol I like how you said "Milo" when the character's name is Roger; but other people were pointing out he was reminding them of Milo Yiannopoulos, so 🤷‍♂️.

But yeah, he brought out in a hurry it was one of his experiments just before the glasses came off. We saw it transform in the background in the newsroom to wheel Howard away, but it was into a different person, I believe, than the two human characters it became later on. Or it had its back turned when it transformed, I dunno. Still was quite shocking to see a Ditto do that, making it really creepy, but learning that it was because of experiments that it suddenly makes sense for it to Transform into humans. Normal Ditto can't do that (far as we know, though I think fan fics have done this). But like, if Latias could turn into a human in Heroes, I think some Pokémon can have the ability to throw on a human disguise.

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, haven't played Ultra yet, I just kinda got turned off from the "multi-universe" shtick they were trying to get in on when properties like Digimon did it better and naturally, and also it was just another case of "Black/White 2" when "Stars" was perfectly plausible. But whatever.

It could also be a reference to the whole “Dittos are failed clones of Mew” thing.
I never fully bought into that theory, in all honesty. Like it's a neat theory, and in the first games I could see it being a thing since you could only find them in areas where Mewtwo was known to be in. But then in Gen II, Ditto were elsewhere, like they found their way to Johto on both sides of Goldenrod, conveniently near a Daycare. Though it is interesting you can't really find them in other regions without special events (with exception of Pokemon Village because lol Mewtwo), but there were wild Ditto just chilling in Johto but no Mewtwo, and so when I heard the theory, I just couldn't see it.

I think it's a nice callback/full-circle to have Clifford do this experiment on a Ditto to make it do unnatural things, and that it really creeps people out, but there might've been more to the idea of a Ditto doing the bad guy's dirty work than that. Also makes me ask questions as to how well-known is Mewtwo when there's only one? How did Clifford come to know about his existence? I can see him possibly wanting to track down a living Mew, but true to form, they believe Mew are extinct and Mewtwo is explicitly stated to have been created from a Mew fossil like in the anime. Perhaps he came across the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar, but then they hired Harry Goodman to track him down, and it's definitely a hole in the narrative they expect fans to fill in for themselves.

I dunno, it's neat, but it definitely opens up the floor for theories like what the actual source material does.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
Community Admin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never fully bought into that theory, in all honesty. Like it's a neat theory, and in the first games I could see it being a thing since you could only find them in areas where Mewtwo was known to be in. But then in Gen II, Ditto were elsewhere, like they found their way to Johto on both sides of Goldenrod, conveniently near a Daycare. Though it is interesting you can't really find them in other regions without special events (with exception of Pokemon Village because lol Mewtwo), but there were wild Ditto just chilling in Johto but no Mewtwo, and so when I heard the theory, I just couldn't see it.
Ditto could not be found in Cinnabar Mansion in Red, Green(jp)/Blue(int), and Japanese Blue. In the first pair they were found on routes 13, 14, 15, 23 and Cerulean Cave. In the Japanese Blue version that came out a year later, they could also be found in Rock Tunnel. Yellow was the first game where they could be found there, and in FireRed and LeafGreen, while they could also be found at the mansion they were still on routes 13-15 and Cerulean Cave, just no longer route 23.

They can also actually be found in other regions without special events/areas, even before the post-game in Black 2/White 2 and all four Gen VII games

The final nail the the coffin though is that in an interview with one of the main people at Gamefreak a few years back, the interviewer asked about the "Ditto is a failed Mew clone" theory and the GF guy pretty much said they never heard or thought of such a thing

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SilkGnut

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Ditto could not be found in Cinnabar Mansion in Red, Green(jp)/Blue(int), and Japanese Blue. In the first pair they were found on routes 13, 14, 15, 23 and Cerulean Cave. In the Japanese Blue version that came out a year later, they could also be found in Rock Tunnel. Yellow was the first game where they could be found there, and in FireRed and LeafGreen, while they could also be found at the mansion they were still on routes 13-15 and Cerulean Cave, just no longer route 23.
Oh herp derp, that's what I get for starting with Yellow. Was even on the page while writing that post but I wasn't paying attention to the Gen I locations, I wanted to double-check that they all migrated to Johto and stragglers still weren't in Kanto. And then locations weren't ringing a bell in my head for the other games lol.

The final nail the the coffin though is that in an interview with one of the main people at Gamefreak a few years back, the interviewer asked about the "Ditto is a failed Mew clone" theory and the GF guy pretty much said they never heard or thought of such a thing
Good to know. Still is a neat theory that is rather persuasive, but some Pokefags have convinced themselves its 100% true and they're pretty vocal about it.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Also makes me ask questions as to how well-known is Mewtwo when there's only one? How did Clifford come to know about his existence? I can see him possibly wanting to track down a living Mew, but true to form, they believe Mew are extinct and Mewtwo is explicitly stated to have been created from a Mew fossil like in the anime. Perhaps he came across the Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar, but then they hired Harry Goodman to track him down, and it's definitely a hole in the narrative they expect fans to fill in for themselves.
If we're going by the canon of the main games, and this movie seems to indicate that it does, then Mewtwo's existence is probably an open secret. Anyone who goes to Cinnabar Island can find the journal entries in Pokemon Mansion, and then tell their friends. After all, the player character is not the only one exploring the ruins. And Blaine even hides the key to his gym in the mansion. Probably every kid in Kanto knows about that freaky man-made Pokemon that blew up a lab on Cinnabar Island before vanishing, even if they don't talk about it every day. So I don't think it's too weird/surprising for others to know about Mewtwo, especially scientists.

Arachnophile

"Ahuhuhuhu~"
kiwifarms.net
Saw it last Friday; it has its flaws but for what it's worth it doesn't do anything crazy to "subvert your expectations". It's a reasonably entertaining movie that ticks all the boxes, with some nice Easter eggs for longtime Pokemon fans.

Justice Smith (the guy who plays Tim Goodman, the main character) is actually really good in this considering he's acting next to a CGI rodent; I don't think I've seen him in anything else. My only acting gripe is with the reporter chick; she acts like a goddamn anime character. Then again, I can't hold that against her can I?

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Apparently they purposely layered both a male and female voice when Mewtwo speaks to keep it genderless.
I think it's a cool idea, really. I still thought Mewtwo sounded masculine anyway before Howard hijacked him, but it's a cool effect. And apparently the voice actors are Japanese to give him an accent (since Kanto--and Johto--are the most Japanese of all the regions), but I wasn't really listening for that.

A.Shitposter

Citizen of Neo-Kiwifarms
kiwifarms.net
I dunno how I felt about this movie, I had already played the game and they had taken most of the most important parts out of that but then they had the bad guy be big bad corporate business cripple. In some scenes the CGI looked really bad. I thought the story had been done a million times before and the acting was pretty bad but Justice Smith at least could manage having any emotion unlike the Tim Goodman in the game. I think there was too much focus on only humans when I wanted it to have more involvement with Pokémon, it feels like we were told humans and Pokémon got along well but we didn't really see it much aside from Pikachu and Tim which reminds me of the Pokémon Special manga which I really don't like.

TchPiKinmup

kiwifarms.net
no spoiler review: the best stuff was in the trailers. No, wait, the entire movie is in the trailers. It's a C+ effort at best -- the lead is charming and it's undeniably cool seeing the Pokemon in the "real world." But the story is half-baked at best and the ending is super flat. This was an unfortunate disappointment.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino