Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 76 34.4%
  • Not suck

Votes: 145 65.6%

• Total voters

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
I actually was surprised by how painless watching it was last Friday. My nephew loved it, and I was amused by the one-liners that were thrown in the screenplay. My expectations going in were low, so I was not at all disappointed. It certainly turned out to be a lot better than most of what gets put out as family-oriented entertainment these days, but that's a pretty low bar to climb over.

Ubiquitous

kiwifarms.net
I saw it earlier today and enjoyed it. I feel that it started off strong during the first hour and took a bit of a decline when the lab exploration scene came around.

The aesthetics were lovely, I like how they left the streets of Ryme City looking distinctly British (a lot of the locations are filmed in London, even the train Tim's on at the beginning looks like a British Rail carriage) but with Japanese characters scattered about to pay homage to the franchise's origins, plus references hidden in neon signs for fans to identify. Also,
was anyone reminded of the plot for Mystery Dungeon when Clifford revealed his plan to transfer the souls of people into Pokemon?

I loved the Sugimori-style illustrations in the credits, this film was made with fans in mind and it's refreshing.

And of course, the Mr. Mime scene was hysterical, if slightly horrifying. Actually, I'm trying very hard
Not to picture Mr. Mime fkailing in agony as he's consumed by invisible flames.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
Also,
was anyone reminded of the plot for Mystery Dungeon when Clifford revealed his plan to transfer the souls of people into Pokemon?
I was lol, definitely helps that the games never really went into detail about how it happened. But apparently
it may be more of a reference to when Bill's experiment went awry and he got fused into a Pokémon, like a Nidorino or a Clefairy whichever it is canonically.

Still is disconcerting that Mewtwo can actually do that, though.

K

KO 864

kiwifarms.net
I loved this movie. I do admit that a big chunk of it was just seeing the Pokémon world realised to the extent it was, although I did have a few small problems with the world. I just didn't get the same feeling of Pokémon co-existing with people that I did in say Pokémon Heroes and it's probably just that you don't see Pokémon getting up to much outside of the battles or being pets. The night market scene was one of my favourites because of how they were used to aid with cooking.

There were a few opportunities I thought they missed out on. There'll only be one Pokémon from each line in most circumstances, and a Pokémon would either show up with others of its species (either at the same time, or during a different part of the film) or not at all. The only real exceptions to this are the gen 1 starters (outside of Bulbasaur) having their final forms do battle in Roundhouse, as well as Eevee and Flareon. It does make sense as they are probably some of the most iconic though. Each gen (not counting 8, likely due to time 7 for some strange reason, and 1 because you have to have all of the OG starters) would only have one starter represented. Totodile for Johto, Treeko for Hoenn, Torterra for Sinnoh, and Greninja for Kalos. I would have for example loved to have a few Ivysaur join the Bulbasaurs, and maybe even have a Venusaur at the rock. I was also disappointed by the Squirlte fire fighters not having Squirlte Squad shades, but I never expected them to really be there.

In terms of seeing my favourite Pokémon, I was left disappointed. No Pollywag line, no Azurill line, No Wabuffet, and I didn't recall seeing Chancy but she might've been there. They also picked the literal worst Eeveelution, Vaporeon or gtfo.

6/10 movie with one hell of a good time added on.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I loved this movie. I do admit that a big chunk of it was just seeing the Pokémon world realised to the extent it was, although I did have a few small problems with the world. I just didn't get the same feeling of Pokémon co-existing with people that I did in say Pokémon Heroes and it's probably just that you don't see Pokémon getting up to much outside of the battles or being pets. The night market scene was one of my favourites because of how they were used to aid with cooking.

There were a few opportunities I thought they missed out on. There'll only be one Pokémon from each line in most circumstances, and a Pokémon would either show up with others of its species (either at the same time, or during a different part of the film) or not at all. The only real exceptions to this are the gen 1 starters (outside of Bulbasaur) having their final forms do battle in Roundhouse, as well as Eevee and Flareon. It does make sense as they are probably some of the most iconic though. Each gen (not counting 8, likely due to time 7 for some strange reason, and 1 because you have to have all of the OG starters) would only have one starter represented. Totodile for Johto, Treeko for Hoenn, Torterra for Sinnoh, and Greninja for Kalos. I would have for example loved to have a few Ivysaur join the Bulbasaurs, and maybe even have a Venusaur at the rock. I was also disappointed by the Squirlte fire fighters not having Squirlte Squad shades, but I never expected them to really be there.

In terms of seeing my favourite Pokémon, I was left disappointed. No Pollywag line, no Azurill line, No Wabuffet, and I didn't recall seeing Chancy but she might've been there. They also picked the literal worst Eeveelution, Vaporeon or gtfo.

6/10 movie with one hell of a good time added on.
There was that Venasaur at the end of the film.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyborg Scars

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
I keep being recommended interviews, but I don't mind because Ryan's just such an interesting guy.

No Pollywag line, no Azurill line
Man, could you imagine what the Poliwag line would look like? Freaky as hell, but it would've been so neat to see. Also sad to see no Marill or Azumarill, but eh.

Reactions: Cyborg Scars

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I keep being recommended interviews, but I don't mind because Ryan's just such an interesting guy.

Man, could you imagine what the Poliwag line would look like? Freaky as hell, but it would've been so neat to see. Also sad to see no Marill or Azumarill, but eh.
Live-action intestine swirl.

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Feel bad for this person's mother, but apparently they think the movie is one of the worst movies they've ever seen because they were offended by the crippled character.
Screen shot 2019-05-14 at 11.53.00 PM.png

• DRINK!
Reactions: Trombonista

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Ah yes, because most villains are crippled, not able-bodied at all. This bitch wants to be offended.
Remember the reports from test screenings that although it was an enjoyable movie some of them felt the villain was a bit weak? I wonder what exactly they meant by that. 🤔
The original villain in the game was Roger Clifford, a producer of GNN whom you only ever was introduced to in chapter six out of nine, then he shows back up at the end of chapter nine. Apparently he wanted to use R to cause chaos in Ryme City and that he'll want to take over the world with it. But... why? Who knows, he's just evil because he feels like it, but he didn't want to get his hands dirty and Harry was on to him, so he had an assistant do everything for him. The twist honestly doesn't even make sense, and the only connection we have to him being the villain is that he tried to kill Tim in the studio using the Yanma (fuck, missed opportunity with the Yanma cameras, movie!) who were moving the lights around and he gave orders that made them collide with each other over where Tim was supposed to stand. I don't even think it was revealed how he came to know of R or how it was he was able to hold Dr. Waals' assistant hostage for months to reproduce more of it.

They changed this by letting Roger be a red herring and that it was his father, Howard, who was the villain. However, Howard actually has a motive for why he did what he did: In searching for a cure for his degenerative disease, he had been manipulating evolution and felt the next step in evolution was for humans and Pokémon to become one. It's crazy, but it fits with what he wanted for Ryme City, for everyone to live in harmony with Pokémon. How he discovered Mewtwo was the key to it all, who really knows, but it makes sense he wanted Mewtwo for himself. Not just because he wanted to feel powerful, but because he wanted out of his dying body and into a stronger, immortal body.

They don't say it, but in the first Pokémon film (or at least in the radio drama), it's talked about in passing that Mew is believed to be immortal. Dr. Fuji wanted to tap into that immortality to be able to use it in his cloning experiments especially to bring his daughter back to life. Mewtwo, being a clone of Mew, perhaps has the capability of being immortal himself. He has remarkable healing powers, after all, and he even died in the radio drama only to Recover himself back to life. So to have the ability to heal yourself and to (potentially) never die sounds good enough to Howard that he wanted out of his chair just to feel alive again. But he used corruption to hide the truth from Tim and from the citizens as well as nearly killing Harry for having a change of heart, and that's what makes him villainous. And also because it's heavily implied that the Pokémon conscious gets overwritten by the human conscious (because otherwise there'd be more of a fight, you know Mewtwo would've found a way to push out Howard on his own if that was the case), and therefore they're not truly living in unity like he was saying.

Still is kind of silly and is totally an anime plot, but Howard's a stronger villain than Roger in the game simply because the motive actually makes sense for the character. He's not going to be among the more memorable villains in Pokémon, but he's not completely out-of-place, either.

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net
Remember the reports from test screenings that although it was an enjoyable movie some of them felt the villain was a bit weak? I wonder what exactly they meant by that. 🤔
The original villain in the game was Roger Clifford, a producer of GNN whom you only ever was introduced to in chapter six out of nine, then he shows back up at the end of chapter nine. Apparently he wanted to use R to cause chaos in Ryme City and that he'll want to take over the world with it. But... why? Who knows, he's just evil because he feels like it, but he didn't want to get his hands dirty and Harry was on to him, so he had an assistant do everything for him. The twist honestly doesn't even make sense, and the only connection we have to him being the villain is that he tried to kill Tim in the studio using the Yanma (fuck, missed opportunity with the Yanma cameras, movie!) who were moving the lights around and he gave orders that made them collide with each other over where Tim was supposed to stand. I don't even think it was revealed how he came to know of R or how it was he was able to hold Dr. Waals' assistant hostage for months to reproduce more of it.

They changed this by letting Roger be a red herring and that it was his father, Howard, who was the villain. However, Howard actually has a motive for why he did what he did: In searching for a cure for his degenerative disease, he had been manipulating evolution and felt the next step in evolution was for humans and Pokémon to become one. It's crazy, but it fits with what he wanted for Ryme City, for everyone to live in harmony with Pokémon. How he discovered Mewtwo was the key to it all, who really knows, but it makes sense he wanted Mewtwo for himself. Not just because he wanted to feel powerful, but because he wanted out of his dying body and into a stronger, immortal body.

They don't say it, but in the first Pokémon film (or at least in the radio drama), it's talked about in passing that Mew is believed to be immortal. Dr. Fuji wanted to tap into that immortality to be able to use it in his cloning experiments especially to bring his daughter back to life. Mewtwo, being a clone of Mew, perhaps has the capability of being immortal himself. He has remarkable healing powers, after all, and he even died in the radio drama only to Recover himself back to life. So to have the ability to heal yourself and to (potentially) never die sounds good enough to Howard that he wanted out of his chair just to feel alive again. But he used corruption to hide the truth from Tim and from the citizens as well as nearly killing Harry for having a change of heart, and that's what makes him villainous. And also because it's heavily implied that the Pokémon conscious gets overwritten by the human conscious (because otherwise there'd be more of a fight, you know Mewtwo would've found a way to push out Howard on his own if that was the case), and therefore they're not truly living in unity like he was saying.

Still is kind of silly and is totally an anime plot, but Howard's a stronger villain than Roger in the game simply because the motive actually makes sense for the character. He's not going to be among the more memorable villains in Pokémon, but he's not completely out-of-place, either.
Being more memorable than a plank of wood doesn't mean it wasn't bad.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
I liked it but the big bombastic scene after they ran out of the lab felt off, would have been better off just having DP get hit by a rock.

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Being more memorable than a plank of wood doesn't mean it wasn't bad.
Yeaaaah, but Pokémon doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to villains. Honestly without looking it up, I couldn't tell you of a more recent Pokémon villain in the last decade after Ghetsis who isn't Guzma (who's more-or-less just a punk and he wasn't even the big bad, so I don't really count him) that was well-written or memorable. I just have to commend the film for at least trying something with what they had even if it felt like they had to come up with something bonkers to throw you off.

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net

YMS gives Detective Pikachu a 2/10 for some reason?

Yeaaaah, but Pokémon doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to villains. Honestly without looking it up, I couldn't tell you of a more recent Pokémon villain in the last decade after Ghetsis who isn't Guzma (who's more-or-less just a punk and he wasn't even the big bad, so I don't really count him) that was well-written or memorable. I just have to commend the film for at least trying something with what they had even if it felt like they had to come up with something bonkers to throw you off.
Your most recent memorable villain in Pokémon is from the last one to have come out and even then you're forgetting Lusamine who is the actual villain in the story who does all the tearing open wormholes to another dimension filled with jellyfish monsters that made her go crazy and then she fuses with one, which almost made me think I was going to have to fight her.

The movie has such a standard evil corporate ceo villain that it was boring.

Last edited:

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net

YMS gives Detective Pikachu a 2/10 for some reason?
Yeah, probably because he didn't find any of the Pokemon fuckable. He also hates kids movies.

Chin of Campbell

The Coming Chin
kiwifarms.net
As far as Pokemon villains go, I do think simpler is more effective. Giovanni was (before they made him a dimension-hopping supervillain in Ultra) just a mobster who wanted to use Pokemon to make money. Guzma is just a punk who felt dejected for not being allowed to participate in the island's traditions in a way he wanted. Though I will say I appreciate the "twist" of Aether being the actual evil team and Skull being a red herring.

I'm kinda sad Pokemon never brings back main characters who aren't Red and Blue, I'd really love to see protagonists show up and be given characterization. Though if things keep going the way they are, I guess Gold, Silver, and Kris will show up in Let's Go Johto.

• Agree
Reactions: Kari Kamiya

Kari Kamiya

kiwifarms.net
Your most recent memorable villain in Pokémon is from the last one to have come out and even then you're forgetting Lusamine who is the actual villain in the story who does all the tearing open wormholes to another dimension filled with jellyfish monsters that made her go crazy and then she fuses with one, which almost made me think I was going to have to fight her.

The movie has such a standard evil corporate ceo villain that it was boring.
I remember Lusamine, I just couldn't recall her name immediately lol. Her motive definitely works, however almost as soon as the spoilers were coming out, people were immediately comparing her to Ragyou from Kill la Kill which isn't a bad thing, but that's kind of tainted my view of her, personally. So she's unique for a kids' franchise, but not as a villain in general (but to be fair, there's no original villain, just different takes). Also doesn't help that apparently from what I've heard she's been changed as a character for the anime (I haven't been keeping tabs), so I guess there's two different versions/interpretations of her. I've seen Giovanni be compared to Lex Luthor, which is true when you think about it, but Giovanni's definitely been able to stand on his own and his incarnations aren't too different from each other. Only things that separate the incarnations is that Giovanni in the anime has not been revealed to have a son and that he was explicitly involved with the Mewtwo Project; I don't even think Silver's canon to the anime (not counting the spin-offs).

Yeah, DP's villain is no Giovanni, not by a long shot, nor could he be a strong character (not that the movie has any strong characters in the first place, but they're as serviceable as your typical Pokémon character), but I didn't think he was out-of-place for Pokémon, least not in that setting. If anything, though, his Ditto was a better villain than him, and it was just the lackey. But Pokémon as a whole won't allow for a true villainous Pokémon, so it can't sadly be counted as a villain. Officially, it'd be more along the lines of Team Rocket's Pokémon.

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember Lusamine, I just couldn't recall her name immediately lol. Her motive definitely works, however almost as soon as the spoilers were coming out, people were immediately comparing her to Ragyou from Kill la Kill which isn't a bad thing, but that's kind of tainted my view of her, personally. So she's unique for a kids' franchise, but not as a villain in general (but to be fair, there's no original villain, just different takes). Also doesn't help that apparently from what I've heard she's been changed as a character for the anime (I haven't been keeping tabs), so I guess there's two different versions/interpretations of her. I've seen Giovanni be compared to Lex Luthor, which is true when you think about it, but Giovanni's definitely been able to stand on his own and his incarnations aren't too different from each other. Only things that separate the incarnations is that Giovanni in the anime has not been revealed to have a son and that he was explicitly involved with the Mewtwo Project; I don't even think Silver's canon to the anime (not counting the spin-offs).

Yeah, DP's villain is no Giovanni, not by a long shot, nor could he be a strong character (not that the movie has any strong characters in the first place, but they're as serviceable as your typical Pokémon character), but I didn't think he was out-of-place for Pokémon, least not in that setting. If anything, though, his Ditto was a better villain than him, and it was just the lackey. But Pokémon as a whole won't allow for a true villainous Pokémon, so it can't sadly be counted as a villain. Officially, it'd be more along the lines of Team Rocket's Pokémon.
If that particular Ditto was a genetic experiment, they could have easily made it evil. He literally tried to kill Tim.

Reactions: Kari Kamiya
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino