Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 75 35.4%
  • Not suck

Votes: 137 64.6%

• Total voters

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
If that particular Ditto was a genetic experiment, they could have easily made it evil. He literally tried to kill Tim.
True, but Mewtwo's a literal genetic experiment, yet despite his antagonistic tendencies, he's not evil. Hell, you got Yvetel, the literal Pokémon of death, and that Giratina is practically the Devil in mythology, but the Pokémon Company has gone out of its way for years to say "No evil Pokémon truly exist", even though the Malamar in XY might've broken that rule. But they probably couldn't even if they wanted to, so it was just following orders. "Finish him, Ditto!"

Too bad we never got to see what happened when it melted. Don't think it died, though, looked too closely to the fainting animation in Pokémon Stadium.

UntimelyDhelmise

Rusty Recluse
kiwifarms.net
Saw it last afternoon. I wholeheartedly agree with the general consensus that Detective Pikachu is the best video game movie to date. Yes, it has plot cliches aplenty, yes the human characters are rather one-note and been there done that for the most part (DP helped make up for it however, his surprisingly crass speech throughout was a riot. It will never not be surreal hearing Pikachu swear), yes saying it's the best game movie doesn't have the biggest weight considering the "competition" but you know what? It has something the majority of its ilk doesn't, heart.

Far too often these type of movies are nothing but pandering schlock where the people behind the film clearly didn't give a fuck and just shitted something out for a quick buck, but I don't see that here. They knew what they wanted to do and they wanted to do it right with respect to both the franchise's owners and to the fans of all ages, and what proves this the most are, naturally, the Pokemon themselves. Putting realistic Pokemon in a live-action setting could've so very easily gone VERY wrong (Sonic is the exhibit A example), but they tried their damnedest to make it all look good and that in itself is more than commendable in an industry where laziness abounds.

And to sperg for a moment, while I already saw my #1 favorite mon in the very first trailer (Dodrio), it was much to my delight that not only was its pre-evolution Doduo also present but both appeared in nearly every city/crowd shot. So even from that extremely specific standpoint I was most pleased indeed.

If I had to put in one legit complaint though, it'd be that the film overall felt a tad short. A few more scenes sprinkled in here and there (like say more interrogation scenes with other mons) to flesh things out and make the narrative flow feel not quite as rushed would've been nice. But as it stands, it's a satisfying film that any Pokemon fan should see.

KiwiLedian

I place my anger firmly on other people
kiwifarms.net
Saw the movie. It was good for what it was (a Pokemon movie) but 7/10 for being a movie in general. Plot is kinda forgettable but the visuals were pretty fucking good. The pokemon looked good overall, with a few that could be better. Out of the lot, the only ones of my favorites seen were Cubone, Aipom, and Sneasel. Shame there wasn't a Ledian or two; really, I wish we got to see more Bug types. But considering it was the middle of a city for most of it, it makes sense.

Also, in regards to Ryme City, I like the overall British-ness with it to really hammer in that it's not somewhere we're familiar (the regions already established) but clearly still in the same world. I wouldn't be surprised if it's located in Galar.

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Caught it on a whim this last week, and happy to agree that it's happy kitsch. Now really interested to see where else Ryan Reynolds's "Whatever, I do what I want" phase will take him.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Caught it on a whim this last week, and happy to agree that it's happy kitsch. Now really interested to see where else Ryan Reynolds's "Whatever, I do what I want" phase will take him.
He's been in some commercials for a stupid phone game. At least the commercials are kinda funny.

sperginity

defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
knew how it was going to end basically immediately, but it was still fun to watch. It is a slightly more mature/dangerous version of the pokemon world that was shown in cartoons, which I enjoyed. The evil son of the city's founder had a serious milo yiannopolous vibe when he wore sunglasses.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Was at my brother's graduation today and my grandmother told me she and Grandpa saw the film yesterday morning. They were the only ones in the (small) theater, but the whole time she had some questions, she just can't remember what they were and I was like "I should've been there". But she liked it, thought it was cute. She was totally caught off-guard that Pikachu was the dad, and when I told her Danny DeVito was considered for the role, she rolled her eyes lol. She was rather disappointed that Pikachu's never going to talk again, but I don't think she was totally lost at what was going on. Besides Pikachu, she recognized Mewtwo because back when I was a teenager, she and I were e-mail penpals and being the fucking sperg I am I kinda had some Pokémon RP'ing in the messages that she went along with, and Mewtwo was one of them. She just didn't know what he looked like, so when he showed up she was like, ".....huh." And she wondered if he always acted like that, and I said something along the lines of "This is the nicest he's ever been."

I actually just realized she was trying to ask me a question about the Torterra and not the Bulbasaur like I thought since she also brought up the Morelull, but it was loud on the field and we were constantly distracted. I forgot to ask her if Grandpa slept through the whole movie or not, so I'm assuming he did. Also forgot to ask what she thought of Bill Nighy being in the film because it's still pretty funny they actually got him to be in it. Oh well.

So yeah, there's my grandma story.

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS
kiwifarms.net
I watched it a few days ago, it was pretty good for what it was. The Pokemon all feel really cohesive, because despite them all being different styles of animal they all looked like Pokemon in a fairly consistent way beyond just being CG. Kind of how the Pokemon art style is consistent despite the wide range of pokemon you have to draw with it, so the CG designs and textures seem fairly consistent with each other for the most part. It was actually kind of shocking how well put together all the designs were for the roughly 50 or so Pokemon in the film, give or take.

Though Pikachu himself looks incredibly strange with facial expressions, maybe the mo cap was just a cheap way to work around animating Pikachu properly because Psyduck had pretty well put together expressions for his limited time in the movie. Pikachu to me seemed very out of place at times with every other pokemon when he had to have facial expressions beyond looking cute or looking sad. Mewtwo also looks really strange at one point during the last 3rd of the movie when Mewtwo gets possessed by the villian and start physically talking instead of how Mewtwo usually talks. It was pretty good, way better then it should have been honestly, but not a major masterpiece in film or whatever. I don't think people who have no interest in pokemon should really see it unless you're going with friends though. I really want to see these designs used in other movies though, feels like a waste otherwise.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
Though Pikachu himself looks incredibly strange with facial expressions, maybe the mo cap was just a cheap way to work around animating Pikachu properly because Psyduck had pretty well put together expressions for his limited time in the movie. Pikachu to me seemed very out of place at times with every other pokemon when he had to have facial expressions beyond looking cute or looking sad.
Honestly, probably was just a clever way to let you know Pikachu's hosting Harry's body and his conscious has taken over. It's unnatural for Pokémon to speak, Meowth's considered an anomaly in the anime after all, and so it feels weird for Pikachu to have facial expressions because that's a human speaking, not Pikachu, even then I think only Tim can tell Pikachu looks weird. Lucy thought it was unusual for Pikachu to wear a hat, so it's possible she's not unnerved by Pikachu's emoting. That's why I think Bill Nighy did motion capture for Mewtwo in the third act for the same reason.

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, probably was just a clever way to let you know Pikachu's hosting Harry's body and his conscious has taken over. It's unnatural for Pokémon to speak, Meowth's considered an anomaly in the anime after all, and so it feels weird for Pikachu to have facial expressions because that's a human speaking, not Pikachu, even then I think only Tim can tell Pikachu looks weird. Lucy thought it was unusual for Pikachu to wear a hat, so it's possible she's not unnerved by Pikachu's emoting. That's why I think Bill Nighy did motion capture for Mewtwo in the third act for the same reason.
I just hope if this does become a movie series, we don't see too many or any more talking Pokemon like Pikachu in this movie or anime Meowth, I don't think this style works very well when Pokemon start trying to making expressions like normal humans unless they really go out of their way to animate them like I think they did with Psyduck. Also if a Pokemon doesn't already have teeth established, adding teeth looks very very strange as shown with Mewtwo after he gets hijacked. Unlike say Pokemon with bite attacks or clearly shown fangs like Charizard for example.

This sort of movie walks a fine line due to the nature of making something like Pokemon come to life and things like random teeth or human motion captured expressions really messes up the pretty good balance I think they've found with this style.

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS
kiwifarms.net
Sperg alert: He actually has teeth.

He just doesn't open his mouth much. Also have you ever seen feline teeth? They're weird.
View attachment 768722
View attachment 768721
View attachment 768719
View attachment 768723
I literally forgot the 4th movie existed with Mewtwo in it, so I only remembered the 1st movie and Origins where the mouth barely opens, oops. It still looked really weird in the movie so I guess it just a side effect of the style or just bad animation for those bits.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any plans to get the Art and Making-Of Detective Pikachu book, which should be out about now? I had pre-ordered it and just got confirmation from Amazon that I'm getting it in about a month's time.
Now that I know it exists, I am!
Why are people defending this shit? :cryblood:

See what I meant when I said how blinded by nostalgia Pokefags are?
Yeah, something has to be 100% perfect or it’s completely shit!

Dude, multiple people have pointed out the movie’s flaws, including people who loved it. You don’t have to like it, but don’t act as if your opinion is the only valid one. That’s ducking stupid.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino