Detective Pikachu: The Movie - Could this actually be a video game movie that doesn’t suck?

Suck or not suck?

• Suck

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • Not suck

Votes: 141 65.0%

• Total voters

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
Movie isn't out yet and they're already planning a sequel.:thinking:
They do this all the time. But it's not just a sequel, they've announced apparently Gen 1 live action? I think it should be a big success box office wise, but I'll reserve my judgment on quality until I see it myself.

It looks decent but the director of the film (Rob Letterman) has a dodgy track record.
rotten tomatoes.PNG

His films so far have either been critical or financial disappointments. Captain Underpants while receiving critical acclaim, is generally seen as a flop.

Goosebumps (2015) made just 150M worldwide.. on an apparent budget of 50-84M. Gulliver's Travels was not only a critical flop but made just 2x it's 110M budget. Shark Tale while I think was success, it's not exactly critically loved. Monsters vs Aliens has a decent critical rating but cost 175M to make and made just 380M at the worldwide box office. Though I think toy/merchandise sales probably softened the blow.

The co-writer, Nicole Perlman is the same woman who co-wrote Guardians of the Galaxy.. on the other hand she also helped write Captain Marvel so we'll see how the "Her to Hero" goes.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
From what I've gathered about Rob Letterman is that he can be quite passionate about his projects, and Monsters vs. Aliens and Goosebumps were basically love letters to their respected genre/series even though they've been mostly forgotten about. Shark Tale was like his first time making anything (commercially) and he had to get something out of his system, I suppose. Never saw Gulliver's Travels so I don't know why people don't like that other than the fact it's, well, Gulliver's Travels, but for a mixed-bag director/producer, he knows his niche.

We've long established early-screening reports should be taken with a grain of salt, but then you hear what Bill Nighy's had to say:
"You can guess how much I knew about Pokemon before I did the movie," he tells Total Film in the latest issue. "I know a bit more now. I met the head of Pokemon, the seventh richest man in the world, I think, and the man who drew all the Pokemon. And I bought the Pokedex, which is a fabulous book, actually. It was great fun."

Nighy kindly sent his copy of the sacred Pokemon tome to "a small boy in Canada" and now almost regrets it. "It’s such a beautiful book. It’s got a plastic ball in the cover, with a Pikachu inside. I got very interested in the thing. In fact, I have two decorative panels made of plaster, to look like stone, with classical figures next to Pokemon figures. They look like ancient Grecian works of art. They were on the set and I admired them, so they gave them to me. I’m the only person in the world who has these things. I might have to Ebay them for charity or something."

Unlike fellow actor Ryan Reynolds, who plays Pikachu, Nighy has to use his own face for his role. "I’m a live-action character, but I’m not at liberty to tell you who." In fact, he's one of several stars in the film with an intriguing blank space next to their names in the cast list: Assassination Nation's Suki Waterhouse and singer Rita Ora are also playing classified characters.

Detective Pikachu will be released May 10, and you can read more about it in this month's Total Film magazine.
From the words of someone who never knew much about Pokémon until he did his role and ended up liking it, plus hearing from that one non-fan say he's practically been converted into a fan makes me think there was a passion present during the making of this film, and that's going to be noticeable in the final cut. Detective Pikachu could end up being Letterman's first real financial success, but it's still a wait-and-see in terms of reception even though critics (or """critics""") haven't been taken seriously since Roger Ebert.

I'm also actually really curious what these "Grecian works of art" are that Bill liked while on the set. I think that's really cool to hear.

Also have just been thinking that it's going to be bloody hilarious if Detective Pikachu gets nominated for anything. Far as I can tell, Pokémon movies have not been nominated for any award by the Japanese, Americans or anyone since Mewtwo Strikes Back--I think.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Also have just been thinking that it's going to be bloody hilarious if Detective Pikachu gets nominated for anything.
I don't really think it'd be surprising at all for it to get nominations for best special effects and best sound effects. honestly I'd be surprised if it didn't get anything related to special effects. If much fuss can be made about Avatar's special effects I don't see why Detective Pikachu can't either.

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
From what I've gathered about Rob Letterman is that he can be quite passionate about his projects, and Monsters vs. Aliens and Goosebumps were basically love letters to their respected genre/series even though they've been mostly forgotten about. Shark Tale was like his first time making anything (commercially) and he had to get something out of his system, I suppose. Never saw Gulliver's Travels so I don't know why people don't like that other than the fact it's, well, Gulliver's Travels, but for a mixed-bag director/producer, he knows his niche.

We've long established early-screening reports should be taken with a grain of salt, but then you hear what Bill Nighy's had to say:

From the words of someone who never knew much about Pokémon until he did his role and ended up liking it, plus hearing from that one non-fan say he's practically been converted into a fan makes me think there was a passion present during the making of this film, and that's going to be noticeable in the final cut. Detective Pikachu could end up being Letterman's first real financial success, but it's still a wait-and-see in terms of reception even though critics (or """critics""") haven't been taken seriously since Roger Ebert.

I'm also actually really curious what these "Grecian works of art" are that Bill liked while on the set. I think that's really cool to hear.

Also have just been thinking that it's going to be bloody hilarious if Detective Pikachu gets nominated for anything. Far as I can tell, Pokémon movies have not been nominated for any award by the Japanese, Americans or anyone since Mewtwo Strikes Back--I think.
That sounds promising. I think it helps that DP isn't a mainstream or that well known Pokemon game either.

Now a days movies depend more on word of mouth and not some critic score. A movie can be critically trashed by critics and generally seen on a technical level to be a mess or just boring but if it's entertaining, somewhat coherent and fun then people will tell others to see it. It's why so many mediocre, average and trashed films still make money.

Also special effects awards is a shoe in if the effects are highly praised.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
kiwifarms.net
Where have you been? Everyone is trying to create a cinematic universe. I think they had like a sequel and two spin offs planned for the Lady Ghostbusters.
They do this all the time. But it's not just a sequel, they've announced apparently Gen 1 live action? I think it should be a big success box office wise, but I'll reserve my judgment on quality until I see it myself.

It looks decent but the director of the film (Rob Letterman) has a dodgy track record.
View attachment 667410

His films so far have either been critical or financial disappointments. Captain Underpants while receiving critical acclaim, is generally seen as a flop.

Goosebumps (2015) made just 150M worldwide.. on an apparent budget of 50-84M. Gulliver's Travels was not only a critical flop but made just 2x it's 110M budget. Shark Tale while I think was success, it's not exactly critically loved. Monsters vs Aliens has a decent critical rating but cost 175M to make and made just 380M at the worldwide box office. Though I think toy/merchandise sales probably softened the blow.

The co-writer, Nicole Perlman is the same woman who co-wrote Guardians of the Galaxy.. on the other hand she also helped write Captain Marvel so we'll see how the "Her to Hero" goes.
I'll admit I live under a rock and have no clue how movies are made; I just assumed that they're very confident that this will be a success.

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
I think it's been pretty well established that Gunn all but completely rewrote GotG.

Fangsofjeff

♡ rətard ♡
kiwifarms.net
(EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double-posting, didn't mean to.)
Decided to look at Tumblr for their reactions. Most of it is what you'd expect from a bunch of autists.

But apparently there's now a... disturbing trend...
View attachment 591727
View attachment 591711
View attachment 591709
View attachment 591714
:stress:
I totally see Mr.Mime's sex appeal. He looks like a confident smug little bastard and that's hot. :heart-full:

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I can't tell if that's Flareon or Eevee at 1:23. Thoughts?
Looks like Flareon to me. A hologram, at that? I'm curious about that place, now.

Also Aipom is absolutely terrifying.
Aipom has always been terrifying when you think about it. The little fucker's always smiling at you, you never know what it's thinking. It going into rabies-mode isn't helping. I already know the reason behind it, but holy shit how it's being portrayed in the film's scary.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino