Digital Artist Workshop - Tips, tricks and advise for Kiwi's by Kiwi's

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Wacom have dominated for a long time and they're kind of the Adobe of tablets. high price but fairly high quality and their competition still lag on certain features. they're good but i'm glad they have competing companies getting more attention. unfortunately i have yet to tru the alternatives.
The companies are all Chinese though, I don't trust them for anything.

harbleglarb

kiwifarms.net
yeah, i noticed that when i was looking a bit further into it. i think there's one that isn't from mainland China (i believe it's Gaomon that's from Taiwan), but otherwise the big names are Chinese.

personally i don't like it but we're so limited for choice that, as an artist with a fairly limited budget, i don't see much choice. i'm sure that Wacom themselves source parts from China anyway though, so the only thing you're avoiding by using them is Chinese-made software.

(damn it, i just saw my typo in your quote but i seem to have lost the edit button on that post)

M'aiq the Liar

Khajiit Going His Own Way
kiwifarms.net
I was on the market for a display tablet a few months ago and ended up buying a Huion, but I did manage to find a different brand called Gaomon that was Japanese (EDIT: I'm dumb it's also Chinese) . Obviously can't vouch for them but it is out there and relatively affordable.

710HpTcKyoL.jpg

This is their PD1560. 15.6 inch display and goes for somewhere between 300-400. Plenty of japs on Ebay selling used ones for cheaper though.

On the side does anyone have more tutorial / reference pic libraries? Especially for plants and fungi. I have some old tumblrs for fashion and stuff if anyone wants those.

Last edited:

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
if any here haven't already please download Pureref, is awesome. You can download it from their site and use it for free or donate whatever you want, paying for it is optional.
Another great addition if you ise Photoshop is coolorus color wheel, is a million miles better than the default colour picker and has many options like gamma masks and different color harmonies. Its like 15$ if you wanna buy it.
I also recommend getting a keypad where you can customize your hotkeys, is specially useful if you use a lot of custom actions. Something like this will do. Its just a nice addition to the workflow.

i have used a huion kamvas tablet monitor for months and is pretty great, it fills all my needs pretty well. It has it perks, like you need to calibrate it well first before using it for the first time as it tends to be darker and warmer by default and it could have a higher resolution but is the best bang for the buck ever, i love it and i hear xp pen is also pretty good. A cintiq is still the better choice ultimately but is like 1000 bucks more expensive and honestly is not worth that huge price difference for what it offers. For that money i'd rather stay with the huion and just get an ipad on the side for live painting on procreate or just spend that on artbooks or anything else really.

On the side does anyone have more tutorial / reference pic libraries? Especially for plants and fungi
You can try going into library genesis and try to find books about the subject you are looking for. Look up in google botany books with lots of pictures and illustrations and see if you can score them in libgen.
Pinterest tend to be a better image search engine than google images and even nature documentaries you can look on youtube can be useful.

Hoodie

You're acting like a real McAsshole
kiwifarms.net
I've had a Huion Kamvas Pro for more than a year now and it's definitely a good tablet, especially for someone new to screen tablets. With the rise in tablets like Huion, Gaomon, and XP Pen, it's more apparent that anyone who wants to get into digital art does not need a Wacom. It's not going to make you a better artist automatically.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Bamboos still exist. And I just refuse to support the Chinese, I don't care if their tablets are cheaper, I will not give them my money (directly anyway, not much else I can do when it comes to companies sourcing their labor from there). I do own an Intuos 5 and I love it, I plan on saving for a Cintiq if I can get myself drawing more often.

Autistador

"My blade? She's called dickdestroyer9000"
kiwifarms.net
Adding onto the tablet discussion. I have a small Wacom intous that I periodically use for 3D sculpting. Must've cost £60 tops and has last me about 4 years now. If anyone is lurking the thread wondering about tablets, I'd recommend a cheap screenless tablet to get a feel for using a tab before you splurge on ones with a screen. Sometimes it's all you need.

Also remember to get new pen nibs for them when they wear down or they start scratching your tab. My Wacom came with a few spares out the box that you can stash in a compartment
on the back of the tablet, dunno about the other brands/models tho.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Adding onto the tablet discussion. I have a small Wacom intous that I periodically use for 3D sculpting. Must've cost £60 tops and has last me about 4 years now. If anyone is lurking the thread wondering about tablets, I'd recommend a cheap screenless tablet to get a feel for using a tab before you splurge on ones with a screen. Sometimes it's all you need.

Also remember to get new pen nibs for them when they wear down or they start scratching your tab. My Wacom came with a few spares out the box that you can stash in a compartment
on the back of the tablet, dunno about the other brands/models tho.
I personally used no screen tablets for years, there was never a point where i really got used to it or felt comfortable, for me it was always a chore but a screen tablet did the trick and was a relief for me, is still not quite like traditional but much closer for me to feel more comfortable. Other people i have met actually are the other way around, they got used to the non screen fast when they started and would never let go, one guy i met would not even draw non-digitally at all and only used non screens and he was a pretty professional guy to boot, so i agree is a highly personal preference, theres no definitive answer that fits all.

harbleglarb

kiwifarms.net
I personally used no screen tablets for years, there was never a point where i really got used to it or felt comfortable, for me it was always a chore but a screen tablet did the trick and was a relief for me, is still not quite like traditional but much closer for me to feel more comfortable. Other people i have met actually are the other way around, they got used to the non screen fast when they started and would never let go, one guy i met would not even draw non-digitally at all and only used non screens and he was a pretty professional guy to boot, so i agree is a highly personal preference, theres no definitive answer that fits all.
yup, it's all down to how you started and what you're used to. also how quickly you adapt to the differences.

i started using a non-screen tablet before screen tablets were even a thing (or at least before they were something the general public could buy and use for art). so i didn't have the option early on, and ended up getting used to working with a non-screen tablet. at this point i think i could get used to a screen tablet but it would take some adjustment, even as someone who started with and continues to do traditional art.

i'd like to give screen tablets another chance but as of now i don't have nearly enough desk space for one.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
I personally preferred screen tablets because I am not exactly used to not looking directly at what I'm drawing. Despite having used a mouse for a few years before that, oddly enough.

Tags
None