Dinosaurs -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
idk about anyone else, but I've gotten REALLY annoyed at the constant insistence with people calling birds dinosaurs. Like not even simply that they evolved from them, just straight up calling them dinosaurs, to the point where some lunatics want to categorize birds as fucking reptiles now.

Do we call amphibans "fish" or mammal "reptiles" because one came from the other? Fuck no. Let birds be their own separate thing dammit.
The constant insistance that the dinosaurs never "truly" died out because they became birds I think has caused some gullible folks to literally believe birds are dinosaurs all along. They're not modern-day fossils like the "living fossils" which are called as such because they evolved so little or not at all since when they first showed up in the fossil record and some species still exhibit primitive features like being lobe-finned or being a jawless fish like the lamprey and hagfish. Then there's the monotremes (platypus and the echidna) exhibiting the primitive method of laying eggs as mammals although the species themselves did evolve at some point.

A few birds are considered living fossils, such as the pelican and the hoatzin whose chicks are born with two-clawed wings to climb trees, but that still doesn't make them dinosaurs. Oh, and much like the horseshoe crab and the coelacanth, mantis shrimps occupied the same waters as other prehistoric marine reptiles, first branching off in the middle of the Carboniferous and remained relatively unchanged since. They're fucking badasses, I bet there was actual claw-to-claw combat between them and the eurypterids.

But uh, yeah, "living fossils" =/= dinosaurs.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
The constant insistance that the dinosaurs never "truly" died out because they became birds I think has caused some gullible folks to literally believe birds are dinosaurs all along. They're not modern-day fossils like the "living fossils" which are called as such because they evolved so little or not at all since when they first showed up in the fossil record and some species still exhibit primitive features like being lobe-finned or being a jawless fish like the lamprey and hagfish. Then there's the monotremes (platypus and the echidna) exhibiting the primitive method of laying eggs as mammals although the species themselves did evolve at some point.

A few birds are considered living fossils, such as the pelican and the hoatzin whose chicks are born with two-clawed wings to climb trees, but that still doesn't make them dinosaurs. Oh, and much like the horseshoe crab and the coelacanth, mantis shrimps occupied the same waters as other prehistoric marine reptiles, first branching off in the middle of the Carboniferous and remained relatively unchanged since. They're fucking badasses, I bet there was actual claw-to-claw combat between them and the eurypterids.

But uh, yeah, "living fossils" =/= dinosaurs.
That's probably why. People have latched on to the "birds = dinosaurs" thing so strongly because there are no modern equivalents otherwise so to speak. For example there are no ammonites but the chambered nautilus is a close relative, mammoths/mastodons are gone but we still have elephants, and so on.

It's almost like some kind of bizarre coping mechanism. Pop culture has ingrained dinosaurs into the public conscious so intensely (far more than any other group of extinct organisms) that it's as if it's difficult to accept that none exist today, so people have turned to birds in some sort of strange fashion of pretending that they're still around.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: RockPaper

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
idk about anyone else, but I've gotten REALLY annoyed at the constant insistence with people calling birds dinosaurs. Like not even simply that they evolved from them, just straight up calling them dinosaurs, to the point where some lunatics want to categorize birds as fucking reptiles now.
The constant insistance that the dinosaurs never "truly" died out because they became birds I think has caused some gullible folks to literally believe birds are dinosaurs all along.
But... why would Wikipedia lie?

1599736529324.png

RockPaper

kiwifarms.net

Do we call amphibans "fish" or mammal "reptiles" because one came from the other? Fuck no. Let birds be their own separate thing dammit.
The problem here is classification is messy, and trying to place extinct groups into little boxes isn't always neat and clean. Are dinosaurs "reptiles"? Are they really? What if they were actually homeothermic? Reptiles like lizards and snakes are cold-blooded. If a number of smaller predatory species did have feathers, then that isn't "reptilian", either. I honestly don't think it's crazy to think of dinosaurs as almost their own Class, different enough from what we think of as "reptiles" to merit their own group, with Birds (Aves) as a Sub-Class.

But we tend to classify things in relation to what's alive now, so people feel the need to force Dinosauria into either the Reptile Box or the Bird Box. Maybe they're another, separate box?

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
The problem here is classification is messy, and trying to place extinct groups into little boxes isn't always neat and clean. Are dinosaurs "reptiles"? Are they really? What if they were actually homeothermic? Reptiles like lizards and snakes are cold-blooded. If a number of smaller predatory species did have feathers, then that isn't "reptilian", either. I honestly don't think it's crazy to think of dinosaurs as almost their own Class, different enough from what we think of as "reptiles" to merit their own group, with Birds (Aves) as a Sub-Class.

But we tend to classify things in relation to what's alive now, so people feel the need to force Dinosauria into either the Reptile Box or the Bird Box. Maybe they're another, separate box?
I'm positive if there were any living species left today they would be in a class all their own, if not at bare minimum in a very specialized branch of reptile. Most certainly looked reptilian in appearance (we know they had scaly skin for one thing) but as studies have shown they are a far cry from your everyday lizard too. At the same time idk how you can look at all but a select number of raptors and go "Oh yeah that's totally like a bird" either. And let's not even begin with the marine and flying reptiles...

It's like the bizarre Permian dicynodonts and gorgonopsids (so-called mammal-like reptiles) where it doesn't seem like they properly fit in with any other group, extant or extinct.

• Agree
Reactions: RockPaper