Disasters in business history -

Thiletonomics

도널드 트럼프 승리의 소금.
kiwifarms.net
In the UK they still sell Daewoo designs, badged as Chevrolets of all things. Seeing a Chevy badge on a miserable little Korean shitbox is a jarring thing.

Yeah, I wondered what made GM buyout Daewoo Motors after Daewoo's bankruptcy, but I guess it was for the small car design since their small cars were pretty bad at the time, i.e. the Cavalier. And the Chevrolet Spark is pretty much the modern-day successor of the Daewoo Matiz, a small car that IIRC, sold very well in South Korea.

Pizdec

Rumba, Rumba, Rumba, Rumba, Rumba.
kiwifarms.net
Arthur Andersen did? I know Enron had EOG Resources for that, which was the one part of Enron that was sorta legitimate and survived.
Sorry, neglected to clarify, AA had a subsidiary named Andersen Consulting, that changed their named to Accenture, which initially lost them customers... until Enron went under and took AA with them, leaving Accenture standing.

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
Sorry, neglected to clarify, AA had a subsidiary named Andersen Consulting, that changed their named to Accenture, which initially lost them customers... until Enron went under and took AA with them, leaving Accenture standing.
I can sorta see that, since my understanding is that what got Arthur Andersen is that the fuckup happened on the CPA practice side of things. If you put your reputation as a professional accounting firm on the line when expressing an independent opinion on the accuracy and fairness of the financial statements of a company (who's paid you a fuckton of money, much more than they should have) you've audited, and your independent opinion is that the financial statements are fair and accurate, and then the financial statements turn out to not reflect the company's financial reality at all, and you destroyed all documents that you used to form your professional opinion, your CPA practice is probably fucked every whichway to hell but maybe not the non-CPA shit you were doing.

And big CPA firms love doing non-CPA shit.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Harley Davidson aka 100 years tradition and 10 years innovation.
But seriously those comments in that comment section, even if only half of that is true, holy shit.
Not much of a Harley fan but indeed, one of their best designs is the V-Rod, in collaboration with Porsche.

1602918860883.png

It can be hit-or-miss for some people, but it's a much modern take on a cruiser bike than anything that they have ever put out in recent years.

And it doesn't hurt that, since the engine was developed by Porsche, it's bulletproof and doesn't spew oil all over the place, among many other mechanical issues that their other bikes have.

Honestly, this is the direction they should be going, but alas, there they are.

And it hauls ass (for a cruiser bike), so there's that.

Last edited:

TurdFondler

kiwifarms.net
If you look at the bikes that made them famous they were a different beast entirely. Super maintenance heavy, like all motorbikes. The modern bitchmade consumer is at least partially to blame. Imagine a fucking old time biker boo-hooing all the way back to the dealership because his valves were too loud or the carb was out of tune.

• Agree
Reactions: I Love Beef

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
If you look at the bikes that made them famous they were a different beast entirely. Super maintenance heavy, like all motorbikes. The modern bitchmade consumer is at least partially to blame. Imagine a fucking old time biker boo-hooing all the way back to the dealership because his valves were too loud or the carb was out of tune.
Back when I started looking into the V-Rod, many of the comments you'll see is that many purists they trash-talked the bike, calling it a "Porsche with an HD badge", and all kinds of shit. The low sales didn't help either so eventually they discontinued the model.

And NOW, years after it's gone, they have flipped the narrative and go "the V-Rod was such an underrated bike", "bulletproof engine" (which is true, many people praise the engine for being quite powerful and reliable at the same time), etc.

It seems that HD had paid too much attention to their core audience, old boomers, and ended up shooting themselves in the foot for killing that bike.

Back on topic, Nokia.

Back in the early '00s, they were absolutely huge, too big to fail. Now they're gone.

1602953660417.png

I still have this old N900 stored in my nightstand, love it to death.

Last edited:

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Toys R' Us? RadioShack? Gamestop? HHGreg?

Basically every video "Company Man" ever made is on this list
I don't know, some business models are just doomed unless the company changes direction to the point of being something completely different. A disaster is more something that is not only easily preventable but causes a massive damage to the original company.

• Agree
Reactions: Thiletonomics

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
In a way Marvel and DC comics.

They've both never really recovered from the 90's comic book crash. They used to ship books in the millions and now can barely break 5-15 thousand for most books. To the point that industry insiders/watchers are having serious doubts about viability of the industry as a whole.

Granted, there are absolutely other factors at play. The traditional magazine market has cratered in the last 15 years with the rise of digital publishing and news.

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
In a way Marvel and DC comics.

They've both never really recovered from the 90's comic book crash. They used to ship books in the millions and now can barely break 5-15 thousand for most books. To the point that industry insiders/watchers are having serious doubts about viability of the industry as a whole.

Granted, there are absolutely other factors at play. The traditional magazine market has cratered in the last 15 years with the rise of digital publishing and news.
Marvel and DC are the example of how cheap gimmicks cannot ever outdo quality and substance, while the comic books industry should be an example of what happens when you let censorship take over art and literature of any sort without a fighting chance nor self esteem and dignity as an artistic medium. As much as I have respect for classic superheroes and comic books for what they established, comic books getting fucked over was just as much as their fault as the censors and the morality groups blaming comic books enmasse for children's moral decadence in the 1950s and creating the Comic Books Code and The Authority. Instead of putting up a fight and standing against homebodies who blamed anything wrong on anything entertaining than any real life vice that demands researching and investigating, Marvel and DC played it safe, let the censors do whatever they wanted for the dollar, and never took their work seriously, and even when Grant Morrison created Watchmen and Frank Miller created The Dark Knight, the damage was already done. Comic books were already given the scarlet letter for being children's fare and disposable "pop culture schlock" by the late 1980s, and when interest in comics began to wane by the 1990s, mature writing was ill equipped because most standards in the industry were not anywhere beyond Young Adult Novel level, which is how this lead to DC thinking killing Superman was a great idea to garner interest back in comics and everyone else to think anti-hero meant villain protagonist.

And after 1996, has the comic books industry learned from anything from this nor from its competition? I'll give the answer: Fuck no they didn't.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
3dfx_logo.jpg

3DFX in a few short years went from a literally who made of a few former engineers from SGI to dominating force in 3d graphics to dying on the vine to being bought by their main competitor Nvidia between late 1996 and march of 2000.

3DFX created the VooDoo line of cards, these cards were on the early 3D scene where standards didnt really exist. 3DFX brought with it the Glide API, which allowed developers to code close to the metal in a way the then nacent Direct X and open GL didnt allow. Developers loved it for its consistency and capabilities, and gamers loved it for allowing the OG voodoo to play at such lofty resolutions as 640x480. The followup voodoo 2 could push 3d graphics at 800x600, or 1024x768 with 2 cards, while their competitors still performed best at 320x240. Notably, this dual 12MB voodoo 2 arrangement was capable of running Doom 3, a game that came out 7 years later using much more modern technology. Glide allowed for far better performance then DirectX or OpenGL, and many flat out looked better on top of running better with 3DFX hardware.

See here: examples of 3DFX rendering VS software (as unreal's DX renderign was useless) and DX vs Glide in tomb raider
maxresdefault.jpglara.jpg

3DFX really was the titan of its industry:
quake2_640x480_p2-400_demo1.gifsin_640x480_p2-400.gif

Then they tried to become a vertical company. They bought STB, an add in card maker, with the intention of making their own GPUs for distribution. This royally pissed off other AIB makers, who promptly switched to making cards with nvidia GPUs or cards using new silicon from this tiny startup called "ATi". Shortly after this an earthquake partially crippled the mexican factory for months, leading to 3DFX being unable to make enough cards to supply big OEMs like dell and HP. As none of the other AIBs would work with 3DFX anymore, big OEMs started using nvidia cards and ATi cards instead.

This was a huge blow to 3DFX. They had gotten their API out there on the back of OEM systems. The DIY market was far smaller then compared to today. OEMs expected products on time, and not only did 3DFX fail this, they also failed to deliver the performance. Previous generations of VooDoo were 3D only, and required a separate 2D card. 3DFX was able to achieve this with VooDoo 3, but 2D faltered in comparison to the TNT and 3D improvements had been put on the backburner. Now with direct X 7 on the scene and new GPUs from Nvidia performing better then the voodoo 3 Glide and 3DFX were falling from grace.

A year earlier 3DFX had been working with SEGA on their new console, the dreamcaset. These documents were made public as part of 3DFX's IPO, enraging SEGA, who promptly tore up the contract with 3DFX and went with NEC for better and worse (side note, EA cited the NEC GPU as being one of the major reasons they didnt want to make games for the dreamcast. OOPS).

With funds dwindling, 3DFX was left at a crossroads. They had 2 GPU projects in the pipeline, the VSA 100, a upgraded redesign of their earlier designs, and a totally new chip called "RAMPAGE" that was supposed to be a new revolution of 3D graphics. 3DFX decided the best idea would be to pursue both projects.

The VSA (VooDoo Scalable Architecture) was originally designed to take on the TNT2. Due to delays partially tied to lack of funding, the geforce 256 released first, which moved more tasks from the CPU to the "GPU", as this was the first card that was more then an accelerator. So VSA (codenamed NAPALM) was delayed and reconfigured to run in a MCM configuration similar to the VooDoo 2. This was accomplished, but by the time it came out the Geforce 2 Ti line came out and ROFLstomped the VooDoo cards in every test imaginable outside of Glide games. And since new Glide accelerators were few and far between most devs had moved to openGL or DirectX. Sales were abysmal, and by march of 2000 3DFX was absorbed by Nvidia.

They really were ahead of their time though, and left quite a legacy. The MPEG and Hardware T&L hardware that 3DFX was working on for RAMPAGE was far superior to late 90s tech, and would eventually find its way to the Geforce 4 lineup. RAMPAGE itself bore some similarity to the ill fated FX 5900 series, and scuttlebutt from long deleted forums was that much of the rampage design was put into the FX series, suggesting that 3DFX, if they had the money, could have produced a 5900 level card 3 years earlier then Nvidia could. 3DFX engineers eventually created the Scalable Link Interface (SLI) for nvidia, which worked totally differently from 3DFX's Scan Line Interleave (SLI) tech. Some of the engineers didn't fancy working for nvidia though, and jumped ship to the startup ATi, where they would be responsible for CrossFire, ATi's multi-GPU technology (notice a pattern here?). Notably, the OG crossfire worked more similarly to 3DFX's tech then modern CrossFire.

It's a cautionary tale of flying too close to the sun expanding as fast as possible, and why sometimes you need bean-counters in charge alongside engineers.

Last edited:

Jelly Duvall

Sometimes Shelley Duvall, sometimes Gale Weathers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Micheal Cimino’s Heaven’s Gate was such a financial bomb that it single-handed killed United Artists. Making only $3.5 million out of it $44 million budget, the production was plagued with Cimino’s perfectionism that lead to the film going four times over its budget. For instance, when a street Cimino had built for the film was six feet too narrow, instead of taking the recommended and cheaper option of tearing down one side of the street and moving it back six feet, Cimino ordered both sides be torn down and moved back three feet, because it would look nicer. Or how Cimino had an irrigation system built under the battlefield so it would remain a bright green during filming. Or how Cimino halted filming for several hours so a cloud he liked would pass into view.

Over 220 hours of film were shot, later cut down to a 5 hour runtime, then had to be cut down again to 3 hours and 40 minutes causing it to miss its Christmas 1979 premiere date and executives to contemplate firing him. After its one week run in November 1980 and another recut and re-release in April 1981 the film was both a financial and critical failure. Cimino’s career was ruined, United Artists was merged with MGM a few years later, and along with other flops like Sorcerer and Cruising led to a decline in director-driven films as a whole.

Isabelle Huppert talked about him a few years ago. She said he was extremely overworked but he was very gracious. Apparently he never recovered from the disaster and basically didn't live long enough to see the new resonance of the film (including a criterion bluray). She said he was never the same afterwards.

• Feels
Reactions: WD-40 and Reverend

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Micheal Cimino’s Heaven’s Gate was such a financial bomb that it single-handed killed United Artists. Making only $3.5 million out of it $44 million budget, the production was plagued with Cimino’s perfectionism that lead to the film going four times over its budget. For instance, when a street Cimino had built for the film was six feet too narrow, instead of taking the recommended and cheaper option of tearing down one side of the street and moving it back six feet, Cimino ordered both sides be torn down and moved back three feet, because it would look nicer. Or how Cimino had an irrigation system built under the battlefield so it would remain a bright green during filming. Or how Cimino halted filming for several hours so a cloud he liked would pass into view.

Over 220 hours of film were shot, later cut down to a 5 hour runtime, then had to be cut down again to 3 hours and 40 minutes causing it to miss its Christmas 1979 premiere date and executives to contemplate firing him. After its one week run in November 1980 and another recut and re-release in April 1981 the film was both a financial and critical failure. Cimino’s career was ruined, United Artists was merged with MGM a few years later, and along with other flops like Sorcerer and Cruising led to a decline in director-driven films as a whole.

I love heaven's gate it's one of my guilty pleasure and Sorcerer is a fucking ballsy movie that I LOVE to watch every few years. Anyone who plays "SpinTires" would lose their shit watching this movie as this is how running dynamite through the central american jungle on deuce and a halfs pulled together with chicken wire and bubble gum should be.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
I love heaven's gate it's one of my guilty pleasure and Sorcerer is a fucking ballsy movie that I LOVE to watch every few years. Anyone who plays "SpinTires" would lose their shit watching this movie as this is how running dynamite through the central american jungle on deuce and a halfs pulled together with chicken wire and bubble gum should be.
Wait what?

I've never heard of this movie but now you have my interest.