Discontinued Foods That We Miss. - A memorial for those gone too soon.

End world hunger or bring back your favorite discontinued food?

• Bring back favorite discontinued food.

Votes: 342 61.5%
  • End world hunger.

Votes: 89 16.0%
  • Abolish the United States mixed market economy and have communism prevail.

Votes: 125 22.5%

• Total voters

stupidpieceofshit

Halloween in January is better.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pepsi Twist, I really liked it.
When coke started the Freesyle machines it took years before they allowed you to do lemon for coke. Even then its not the same, since pepsi is more sweet (I like normal coke over normal pepsi but the sweetness of pepsi was a nice counter to the sourness of lemon IMO)

Thornforg

Thanks for the company.
kiwifarms.net
OG Powerbars. Vanilla crisp and chocolate in particular were my favorites.

Also, Shock Top honeycrisp apple wheat. Not exactly a 'food', but I miss it dearly.

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
I miss food that doesn't have science lab chemicals, genetic modification, and isn't almost nutritionally worthless.
1.) Unless you were born before the industrial revolution, you have literally never consumed this.

2.) The 'science lab chemicals' on most packaging are the scientific terms for natural things. Oh no, my flour has been fortified with Thiamine Mononitrate! What will my body do with all this horrible Vitamin B1?

Now shut up and chew your Juicy Fruit, artificially flavored since 1893 with delicious isoamyl acetate.

In college I drank literally gallons of Rockstar Juiced, especially the Pomegranate flavor.
1230011546.jpg

Haram Exercise

Some assembly required
kiwifarms.net
Original costco frozen chicken bakes. They still carry them but they changed the recipe. The current ones are okay but disappointing compared to what they used to be.
It's bizarre because the food court chicken bakes are the original. They used to sell them before the Wu Flu hit. Now I can't even get them.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Starting 11 years ago Stouffer's sold these microwave strombolis that were like they're take on hotpockets and they were great, not sure when exactly they were discontinued but I miss them.
Oh, do you mean Stouffer's Bistro crustinis, paninis, and melts? We still have those in Canada, although I miss the chicken fajita version which they stopped selling several years ago.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Oh, do you mean Stouffer's Bistro crustinis, paninis, and melts? We still have those in Canada, although I miss the chicken fajita version which they stopped selling several years ago.
Nope, it wasn't a sandwich, it was like a hot pocket.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
Nope, it wasn't a sandwich, it was like a hot pocket.
The Bistro crustinis and paninis are basically like Hot Pockets. They're fully-enclosed by crust. The melts are more like pizza but without the tomato sauce.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unless you were born before the industrial revolution, you have literally never consumed this.
"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences..."

I'm pretty sure "monosodium glutamate" and "Red #40" aren't "natural ingredients referred to by scientific names". And that's not even getting into nutritional value or genetic modification of stuff that's supposed to be simple, like apples or wheat.

fruit no longer grows wild on trees
It'd be nice to get my own food. I live in a shitty city, so the only way I can get food is by paying for stuff that's processed in factories and distributed by supermarkets at bullshit prices.

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It'd be nice to get my own food. I live in a shitty city, so the only way I can get food is by paying for stuff that's processed in factories and distributed by supermarkets at bullshit prices.
Tomatoes are an example of something that's nearly impossible to obtain without growing them yourself, at least without going to some fancy-ass grocery store or farmer's market and basically buying from someone who also grows them. Sometimes, you'll see them on sale in stores that purchase local stuff to be able to advertise that they purchase local stuff for the kind of people who care about that shit.

Almost all grocery store tomatoes aren't actually ripe, they've been artificially ripened with ethylene gas to make them look red but they have the texture and flavor of wax fruit. You couldn't possibly use them to make a sauce. This makes them easy to transport but it's baffling anyone would ever eat these fucking awful things.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
I buy the supermarket "vine-ripened tomatoes". The ones that are still attached to the vine. The ones that actually smell like tomatoes and not like nothing the way those water-tasting beefsteak tomatoes don't have any scent whatsoever.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I buy the supermarket "vine-ripened tomatoes". The ones that are still attached to the vine. The ones that actually smell like tomatoes and not like nothing the way those water-tasting beefsteak tomatoes don't have any scent whatsoever.
Most of those are merely okay. They're okay for a basic salad but they'd still be nearly useless for making sauce.

• Agree
Reactions: AprilRains

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
In terms of alcoholic beverages, I am by no means a fan of hard cider (or any super sweet beverages for that matter). For instance, I will never forget the time I tried Redd's Apple Ale. People said my reaction to it reminded them of how Buddy the Elf reacted to spraying perfume in his mouth.

That said ... There was ONE cider that I loved. And that was Strongbow. It was quite a dry and refreshing hard cider; tasted more like champagne and not very sweet at all. It was absolutely delicious.

In 2014, the OG Strongbow was discontinued in the United States. Apparently you can find the original anywhere in the UK. But here? Nope. Strongbow was butchered to "suit" the tastebuds of the fatasses in America. They call it "Strongbow Gold." The stuff tastes so sugary now that I feel like I would get diabetes if I finished a bottle or a can. They totally ruined it, and I am forever bitter about it.
my memory of Strongbow is tied to the moment in life where my favorite bar was a honest bar for bicyclists that was then destroyed by sudden hipster popularity.

when it was the bar for bikers they had strongbow, down to earth bartenders and fun shit like trivia. then the bar got popular, they had more and more dj nights and strongbow was replaced by redds and angry orchard. the down to earth bartenders quit and then the bar lost its "uniqueness" and the hipsters moved on to the next fad. bar died last i checked.

redds and angry orchard are shit ciders.

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences..."

I'm pretty sure "monosodium glutamate" and "Red #40" aren't "natural ingredients referred to by scientific names". And that's not even getting into nutritional value or genetic modification of stuff that's supposed to be simple, like apples or wheat.
MSG is made from fermenting starches. So it's 'natural'. So is hemlock. 'Natural' has nothing to do with if something is healthy or not.
Fair enough on the Red #40. I was trying to point out that some people assume that because an ingredient 'sounds sciency' that it must be unnatural. There's definitely some weird shit in processed food.

But apples and wheat aren't simple at all. There are thousands of varieties, hybrids, and crosses. All designed to grow in certain conditions or provide certain products. The apples in your applejuice are different from the apples in your strongbow are different from the apples in your fruit salad. The apples growing in Iowa have to deal with different pests and different conditions than the apples growing in Turkey, or China. There's a reason seed is a billion dollar industry.

GMO BAD is the Orange Man Bad of the food industry. People are scared of them and complain about them without any real science behind their BLANKET decrying of. (not saying there are NO concerns, mostly ecological.) It's the climate change denying of the left. Do they understand how much we've already changed the plants and animals that we've domesticated. To the point where animals like wool bearing sheep and plants like corn can no longer exist, 'in the wild' With hybridization we've already gotten really good a gene editing just via selective breeding.

I'm a farmer Kiwi farmer. I get to see first hand the kinds of chemicals we have to put on the land to grow enough food to keep grain cheap. It used to be worse. In the 70's they put absolutely noxious pesticides out, dangerous to the farmer and wildlife. But hybridization and genetic modification has allowed those to be phased out by creating plants that pests don't attack. Imagine if we could reduce or even phase out herbicides? Or cut pesticide use in other crops.

If you want to pay for organic, fine. But there are people 3rd world countries that don't have that same luxury to pay a dollar more for food. And organic farming can have an ecological cost too. Organic grain farming uses tons of tilling for weed suppression, which is murder on soil health, structure, and erosion.

More on topic:
Anyone try dnL back in the day. I remember having it a few times. The weird fake citrus flavor was overpowering.
download (1).jpg

HexBawxUno

kiwifarms.net
I thought Strongbow brought back the "Original Dry" in the US recently. I saw it at my local Total Wine.

The discontinued drink I miss: Mountain Dew "Game Fuel" (Citrus Cherry). The new "Game Fuel" is absolute piss unworthy of the name.

Tags
None