Discontinued Foods That We Miss. - A memorial for those gone too soon.

End world hunger or bring back your favorite discontinued food?

• Bring back favorite discontinued food.

Votes: 342 61.5%
  • End world hunger.

Votes: 89 16.0%
  • Abolish the United States mixed market economy and have communism prevail.

Votes: 125 22.5%

• Total voters

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
There may not be a difference between selective breeding and messing with the DNA itself (messing with one part of the code for a trait can cause issues with others), but it's my taste.
I can certainly respect that. And preserving 'heritage' varieties of food is not only tasty, but important. You never know when that weird variety of carrot that almost no one grows anymore has a billion bushel trait hiding in it. So here's a discontinued food I'd like to try.
17th century watermelon.
41144824rs.0.jpg

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
my memory of Strongbow is tied to the moment in life where my favorite bar was a honest bar for bicyclists that was then destroyed by sudden hipster popularity.

when it was the bar for bikers they had strongbow, down to earth bartenders and fun shit like trivia. then the bar got popular, they had more and more dj nights and strongbow was replaced by redds and angry orchard. the down to earth bartenders quit and then the bar lost its "uniqueness" and the hipsters moved on to the next fad. bar died last i checked.

redds and angry orchard are shit ciders.

You can get Strongbow at many supermarkets in Ontario, although when it comes to British apple ciders, I like Blackthorn when I can find it because it's just a touch stronger. As far as I've seen, they only sell Blackthorn in a handful of LCBO liquor stores and none of them are that close to me.

One British cider that's completely disappeared from LCBO liquor stores over the past year and which has been delisted from the LCBO website is Williams Sir Perry pear cider which I enjoyed but which my mother really loved and I haven't found any other pear cider that really compares. Most of the ones they sell at LCBO are pear-flavoured apple cider and not proper perry anyway and the Canadian perries are a bit too sour compared to Sir Perry.

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
OG Powerbars. Vanilla crisp and chocolate in particular were my favorites.

Also, Shock Top honeycrisp apple wheat. Not exactly a 'food', but I miss it dearly.
I think that flavor of Shocktop is seasonal now

Thornforg

Thanks for the company.
kiwifarms.net
I think that flavor of Shocktop is seasonal now
If it is, I've never seen it at any season since ~2016. Maybe my state just doesn't get it anymore like so many other nice things we've stopped being able to get.

Mynoghra

kiwifarms.net
I still see 'em around. Usually at gas stations
Venom energy drinks, Black Mamba in particular. I used to love these, but I haven't seen them for years and years. I don't think/know for certain if they're officially discontinued, but I'll be damned if I can find any in my area. Even wanting to order online all that comes up are old probably expired cases selling for 70 or 80 bucks.

View attachment 735545

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
I don't remember the brand name but does anyone remember those canned coffee drink powders that you made using water? They were in a rectangular container with a plastic lid and had different flavors like cappuccino. Man, those were the shit growing up and I don't think I've seen them in years.

Autumnal Equinox

Sing or I'll go home and kill all your mommies
kiwifarms.net
I don't remember the brand name but does anyone remember those canned coffee drink powders that you made using water? They were in a rectangular container with a plastic lid and had different flavors like cappuccino. Man, those were the shit growing up and I don't think I've seen them in years.
These? My grandma used to love them as well. I didn't mind a cup once in awhile either.

3f46f7722ee77ea682388f6be9e19b5b.jpg

Tags
None