Discontinued Foods That We Miss. - A memorial for those gone too soon.

End world hunger or bring back your favorite discontinued food?

• Bring back favorite discontinued food.

Votes: 372 61.4%
  • End world hunger.

Votes: 102 16.8%
  • Abolish the United States mixed market economy and have communism prevail.

Votes: 132 21.8%

• Total voters

Dorsia.Reservation

Dorsia's Dixie Stampede & Plantation Wedding Venue
kiwifarms.net
Also never tried it but always wanted to, OK Soda. I wonder if Coca Cola will ever bring it back
I've always wondered about this stuff.
It was only marketed in certain areas, one of them being Knoxville, Tennessee.
Who even then still had the slogan everywhere...keep Knoxville scruffy.
So it just seems odd that something so gen x would be marketed in east Tennessee...home of hillbilly fuel Mountain Dew.

TwoDollarPeePeePooPoo

I'm not gonna read that
kiwifarms.net
Never had any as they were before my time but I’d love to have had one of those traditional TV dinners in the metal tray. Modern plastic trays don’t have the same regalness to me. I don’t even care if the food is the same dogfood quality as a modern Hungry-Man, it’s more appealing on the metal trays.

As for specifics, bring back the German Style Dinner. It’s so out there and nothing in current frozen food market fills this niche.

7A66722D-9E81-48A0-A68A-2241664A48DE.jpeg

Another example of a meal I’d like to see return is the 3 course meal that included a soup

88FE96EC-F2E4-4BBF-844D-2C00F071E0C7.jpeg

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
Never had any as they were before my time but I’d love to have had one of those traditional TV dinners in the metal tray. Modern plastic trays don’t have the same regalness to me. I don’t even care if the food is the same dogfood quality as a modern Hungry-Man, it’s more appealing on the metal trays.

As for specifics, bring back the German Style Dinner. It’s so out there and nothing in current frozen food market fills this niche.

View attachment 1491260

Another example of a meal I’d like to see return is the 3 course meal that included a soup

View attachment 1491273
I actually want to try those too. Just for novelty's sake. What I notice is just how much variety you get with those meals there. A lot of frozen dinners now are just an entree. Hungry man and similar brands still exist but they have just an entree, a side/vegetable, and maybe a small dessert. These have several courses. And they seem bigger too.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1491260

View attachment 1491273
My parents had some microwave dinners from the 70's that were on a simple, round plastic plate. No divisions or anything. But damn, I don't know what those plates were made of, asbestos or something, because they still use them to reheat stuff in the microwave and they can still put them in the dishwasher. I want those motherfuckers to come back.

Mesh Gear Fox

Making plutonium from common household items
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm old enough that I had those metal tray TV dinners when I was a kid. You got a greater variety of food, as there were generally a couple of sides and possibly a brownie or apple pie for dessert. Quality of the food was generally meh. Not great but not horrible. The desserts were usually pretty good. My dad couldn't cook so he made these for my brothers and I when our mom was working. The biggest drawback was you obviously couldn't throw them in the microwave so if you had hungry kids be prepared for "how much longer?". Yeah, we drove him nuts sometimes.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm old enough that I had those metal tray TV dinners when I was a kid. You got a greater variety of food, as there were generally a couple of sides and possibly a brownie or apple pie for dessert. Quality of the food was generally meh. Not great but not horrible. The desserts were usually pretty good. My dad couldn't cook so he made these for my brothers and I when our mom was working. The biggest drawback was you obviously couldn't throw them in the microwave so if you had hungry kids be prepared for "how much longer?". Yeah, we drove him nuts sometimes.
I remember those and the little tray stands you had to put in front of your chair because you'd literally eat them in front of the TV. Nasty salisbury steak, tater tots, and hot chocolate pudding and Happy Days. Yum.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Bonkers was the candy that killed people with giant fruit, right?
From what I remember, the fruit landed on the people and they busted up laughing.

Anyway, I'll throw in Subway's seafood and crab sandwich because they discontinued it from where I live.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1491260

View attachment 1491273
I bet saurbraten would frozen food pretty well.

Shiggy Diggster

hulk is such a yo-yo
kiwifarms.net
mr green.jpg

Mr. Green was a Dr. Pepper clone with ginseng extract and it was amazing for the two months it was on the shelf between me buying it on a whim and it being discontinued.

Coffee Druid

kiwifarms.net
From what I remember, the fruit landed on the people and they busted up laughing.

Anyway, I'll throw in Subway's seafood and crab sandwich because they discontinued it from where I live.
I had that once, from some small subway in a gas station when I was a kid. I thought it was absolutely delicious, despite it being mostly fake crab and mayo. When I asked for it at any subway after that I never found one that made it. I'm sure you can make it yourself fairly easily at least.

Return of the Freaker

【FOREVER FORNEVER】
kiwifarms.net
Obligatory "not a food but a restaurant" but, I miss Souper Salad. I don't know if they still exist elsewhere (they may be regional for all I know) but any within 300 miles of me are permanently closed. It was literally all a salad bar buffet. With soups, pizza, and desserts too. They had really good ginger bread (not cookies, bread) too. I would eat there daily if I could afford it, and they weren't, you know, gone.
Reminds me of a chain called Schlotzky's Deli. They also had soups, sandwiches, and pizza but I don't think they did salads. Back in the 90s there were 2 by me. One lasted all the way to 2016 and it got replaced by a Starcucks. If they're still around at all they're probably in a similar state to Quizzno's.

Coffee Druid

kiwifarms.net
Reminds me of a chain called Schlotzky's Deli. They also had soups, sandwiches, and pizza but I don't think they did salads. Back in the 90s there were 2 by me. One lasted all the way to 2016 and it got replaced by a Starcucks. If they're still around at all they're probably in a similar state to Quizzno's.
I had those near me and passed them regularly. I've never actually eaten there so I have no idea if they're still around or not.

Return of the Freaker

【FOREVER FORNEVER】
kiwifarms.net
Planters Cheese Balls were discontinued and have been gone for the past 13 years but they are back now for a limited time.

These are the best cheese balls, just the right amount of crunch and cheese flavoring.
View attachment 1475755
I remember when I was 11 we rented a beach house in the Outer Banks (North Carolina) for two weeks and I went through the cabinets and found a can of these. Ate the whole thing over the course of week 1. Left a fresh can on the way out.

I had those near me and passed them regularly. I've never actually eaten there so I have no idea if they're still around or not.
They were pretty good. Went there a lot with my dad as a kid.

Tags
None