• Hunchback 2

Votes: 19 3.8%
  • A slow death

Votes: 394 78.2%

• Total voters

Saxxon

Sperging on the internet is the future of society
kiwifarms.net
Watching Disney drones doing damage control over Disney parks still being open in the middle of a surge of covid cases will never not be funny. But I think they still have a point tho, no one was really batting an eye with the other parks open, one could say that they opened when things were still under control which makes Disney moves more funny since they would actually have won by sticking to their original plan of opening later. Oh well, that how business works.

• DRINK!
Reactions: GeneralFriendliness

Xerxes IX

Neko Atsume cat named Sargon of Aclawed next?
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if anyone is going to take Iger's bait for Chapek being the fall guy? Iger approved everything, it's his fault, and it's obvious he got greedy.
There's also Iger coming back to run Disney once the Corona lockdowns hit. No way can he pretend this is all Chapek's fault. I bet he thought the Splash Mountain retheme would result in more political goodwill for his potential presidential run, too. Which is still a fucking terrible thing to think about.

I definitely should have listened to you about Splash Mountain, @GeneralFriendliness . Never underestimate Disney's will to piss away money when looking good for being "woke" is involved. Since they apparently have had the idea floating around for a year or so I wouldn't rule out Disney execs being cynical enough to wait until some disaster for US race relations to reveal the retheme for maximum good boy points. Disney seems to think it's not too big to fail not just money wise, but with woke optics, too. All the progtards I know actually hate Woke Disney because they're dirty capitalists and not real progressives and will gladly censor out the woke stuff in international markets for more money.
Watching Disney drones doing damage control over Disney parks still being open in the middle of a surge of covid cases will never not be funny. But I think they still have a point tho, no one was really batting an eye with the other parks open, one could say that they opened when things were still under control which makes Disney moves more funny since they would actually have won by sticking to their original plan of opening later. Oh well, that how business works.
Universal Studios Orlando reopened while the riots were in full swing, so the reopening kind of went under the radar. It was kind of ironic since Harry Potter is Universal's biggest draw and that was around the time when JK Rowling was Canceled For Good This Time.

Some of these Parks spergs sound like they're junkies going through withdrawal because the parks have been closed, tbh. I get that 2020 has been an awful year for most everyone and people want to unwind and have fun, but the adults who rely heavily on Disney Parks for escapism seem batshit. If you ask me I would rather save money and wait to go to a fully functional park with no need for covid induced restrictions.

Alto

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
I don't know why you would want to go to the parks more than a handful of times if you lived in the state. Are the parks fun? Sure. Very, especially with families. But there's only so much overpriced nonsense, crowds, shitty food, and kiddie shit you can enjoy without it getting stale fast. The last time I visited Disney, I was done by the afternoon and had no real desire to linger longer than that. It's loud, chaotic, hot, and the lines are too damn long for everything. I couldn't imagine spending eons in that environment and then going through withdrawals over not getting to go every other week.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Dinosaur was strangely not a flop and is more obscure and forgotten if anything.
Dinosaur isn't the worst thing out of that decade, but it doesn't really do anything that The Land Before Time didn't already do. And looked better to boot. I honestly find it bizarre that some other company obviously did the animation, but it's included in the main animated canon. Yet The Wild isn't. I don't get the difference.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dinosaur isn't the worst thing out of that decade, but it doesn't really do anything that The Land Before Time didn't already do. And looked better to boot. I honestly find it bizarre that some other company obviously did the animation, but it's included in the main animated canon. Yet The Wild isn't. I don't get the difference.
The Secret Lab (the animation studio) was actually what was reformatted from Dream Quest Images, which Disney bought out and merged with specifically to make movies like Dinosaur, so I think that's why it counts in the animated canon. Apparently in Europe, The Wild is part of the canon, taking over Dinosaur's spot even though The Wild was more-or-less distributed by Disney. I dunno, it's weird.

Someone who had worked on Dinosaur gave their side of the story on why the movie turned out the way it did.

Xerxes IX

kiwifarms.net
The only park I enjoyed was Epcot due to the world Showcase and meeting peopel from other countries to hear their stories. Disney just revoked their offers of employment so now its just bland regular people running everything in the entire showcase.

Genuinely sad about what Epcot's turned into. The sad state of Future World (now being renovated and renamed), insisting more IPs be added to World Showcase (a fucking Frozen attraction representing Norway was a great start), and now no more foreign CMs who actually come from the countries in each pavilion. I know Epcot always got called dry, boring, outdated, subject to the problem with Tomorrowland x100, but it was my personal favorite.

Goldman

PROTECKING THE LYFE CYCLE
kiwifarms.net
Genuinely sad about what Epcot's turned into. The sad state of Future World (now being renovated and renamed), insisting more IPs be added to World Showcase (a fucking Frozen attraction representing Norway was a great start), and now no more foreign CMs who actually come from the countries in each pavilion. I know Epcot always got called dry, boring, outdated, subject to the problem with Tomorrowland x100, but it was my personal favorite.
What are they doing to future world? The idea of having Tomorrowland own the retro-futurism aesthetic was great, but Future World could be updated every now and again.

Flaming Carrot

kiwifarms.net
The Secret Lab (the animation studio) was actually what was reformatted from Dream Quest Images, which Disney bought out and merged with specifically to make movies like Dinosaur, so I think that's why it counts in the animated canon. Apparently in Europe, The Wild is part of the canon, taking over Dinosaur's spot even though The Wild was more-or-less distributed by Disney. I dunno, it's weird.

Someone who had worked on Dinosaur gave their side of the story on why the movie turned out the way it did.
Interestingly enough, Dinosaur was originally going to be a violence-filled, dialogue-free stop motion movie directed by Paul Verhoeven. I think that would have been more interesting than what we got.

Xerxes IX

kiwifarms.net
What are they doing to future world? The idea of having Tomorrowland own the retro-futurism aesthetic was great, but Future World could be updated every now and again.
They're ditching the "future" theme and retheming Future World to three different areas called World Celebration (entrance), World Nature (future world west), and World Discovery (future world east), which is supposed to put them in line thematically with World Showcase. I think something park execs have been concerned with changing is how Epcot always felt weird and "Not Disney" enough, not to mention it being more for an older crowd and boring for younger kids. Looking at the statements made about the Epcot changes they're trying to make the park "More Disney" and more family friendly.

GenociderSyo

Syo
kiwifarms.net
They had some pretty good tours too. I'm thinking of doing the World Showcase one again it was interesting to hear how all the pavillions came to be.

I never got to see Maelstrom, heard though it was a good ride.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never got to see Maelstrom, heard though it was a good ride.
it was good when they did maintenance, in its dying years there would be chucks of the landscape missing for the polar bears occasionally and you'd see the crap underneath

I made my peace with the end of Future World a while back
I forgot to say it earlier, but Rest In Peace to Future World.
I suppose it's like a loved one who checked mentally out a long time ago but the body was still there, but it's still something to know that it's finally over. It's been at least a decade since I went to Epcot.
I think I accepted that the Future World that I grew up with was gone around Test Track.
Really at this point they're all gone with this next refurb
Communicore, Horizons, The Living Seas, World of Motion, Universe of Energy, Journey Into Imagination, even Wonders Of Life, they were already gone and now The Land is getting replaced with that the Rock cartoon, and Spaceship Earth went to shit with the half-finished Siemens refurb.
You were a part of the random mishmash of concepts assembled into into half of the shambling Frankenstein's Monster with a liquor license that would become EPCOT Center, but dammit you still taught me that the future was really great.
Robot dinosaurs will always be better than Guardians of the Galaxy, and Horizons never killed anybody.
:semperfidelis:

Goldman

PROTECKING THE LYFE CYCLE
kiwifarms.net
They're ditching the "future" theme and retheming Future World to three different areas called World Celebration (entrance), World Nature (future world west), and World Discovery (future world east), which is supposed to put them in line thematically with World Showcase. I think something park execs have been concerned with changing is how Epcot always felt weird and "Not Disney" enough, not to mention it being more for an older crowd and boring for younger kids. Looking at the statements made about the Epcot changes they're trying to make the park "More Disney" and more family friendly.
The worst part of making stuff "more Disney" is that they're just making more modern corporate Disney. Walt was (as far as I can tell) an eccentric futurist, and at least the people in charge before seemed to want to honor that. So much for the futurism. At least they have booze now.

Xerxes IX

kiwifarms.net
The worst part of making stuff "more Disney" is that they're just making more modern corporate Disney. Walt was (as far as I can tell) an eccentric futurist, and at least the people in charge before seemed to want to honor that. So much for the futurism. At least they have booze now.
Apparently how you make the park "timeless" is adding IPs that were made/acquired in the last decade.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wouldn't be the first time they pissed on Walt Disney's core beliefs and wishes.
Not to be "that guy" but part of why Disney was a futurist was because he was believed to be a supporter of the eugenics movement of the early 20th Century.

I honestly think that Disney's stances on eugenics may have been where a lot of the urban myths of "Disney was secretly a Nazi/Anti-Semite/White Supremacist" originally came from.

Personally, I think Walt Disney was NOT a Nazi or an Anti-Semite despite the old urban legends, although I would not be surprised if he held views that would be considered racist by modern non-SJW standards.

A lot of people forget that eugenics was a popular thing to support among the American middle class of Disney's generation and it wasn't until WWII that it became seen as a bad thing, since we saw what eugenics taken to its most extreme ultimately led to under the Nazis.

It really does say something that despite all the rumors of antisemitism surrounding him, that a devout Jewish animator and writer who worked for Disney and hated Walt's guts insisted that Walt was not an Anti-Semite and had no ill will towards the Jews.

If anything, given Walt's early 20th Century WASP background, I think he'd be more of a Philo-Semite in the vein of J.R.R. Tolkien or given Disney's Protestant Yankee upbringing, the early British Israelite authors of the Victorian and Edwardian Era.

Basically they believed the success of the British Empire and the United States is because the Anglo-Saxons were descended from one of the Lost Tribes of Israel and that the Jews were a blessed and resilient people with good genetics, and by extension so were the Anglo peoples like the English, Americans, Canadians, and Aussies since the Jews were descended from the Tribe of Judah and they believed that the British and their colonial offshoots were descended from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh

Seriously, it was a very weird movement of the late 19th and early 20th Century and ironically it was one of the biggest influences on the explicitly racist movements of Christian Identity and the Black Hebrew Israelites (the latter just swapped the Anglos for Blacks and Native American tribes)

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Wouldn't be the first time they pissed on Walt Disney's core beliefs and wishes.
Not to be "that guy" but part of why Disney was a futurist was because he was believed to be a supporter of the eugenics movement of the early 20th Century.

I honestly think that Disney's stances on eugenics may have been where a lot of the urban myths of "Disney was secretly a Nazi/Anti-Semite/White Supremacist" originally came from.

Personally, I think Walt Disney was NOT a Nazi or an Anti-Semite despite the old urban legends, although I would not be surprised if he held views that would be considered racist by modern non-SJW standards.

A lot of people forget that eugenics was a popular thing to support among the American middle class of Disney's generation and it wasn't until WWII that it became seen as a bad thing, since we saw what eugenics taken to its most extreme ultimately led to under the Nazis.

It really does say something that despite all the rumors of antisemitism surrounding him, that a devout Jewish animator and writer who worked for Disney and hated Walt's guts insisted that Walt was not an Anti-Semite and had no ill will towards the Jews.

If anything, given Walt's early 20th Century WASP background, I think he'd be more of a Philo-Semite in the vein of J.R.R. Tolkien or given Disney's Protestant Yankee upbringing, the early British Israelite authors of the Victorian and Edwardian Era.

Basically they believed the success of the British Empire and the United States is because the Anglo-Saxons were descended from one of the Lost Tribes of Israel and that the Jews were a blessed and resilient people with good genetics, and by extension so were the Anglo peoples like the English, Americans, Canadians, and Aussies since the Jews were descended from the Tribe of Judah and they believed that the British and their colonial offshoots were descended from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh

Seriously, it was a very weird movement of the late 19th and early 20th Century and ironically it was one of the biggest influences on the explicitly racist movements of Christian Identity and the Black Hebrew Israelites (the latter just swapped the Anglos for Blacks and Native American tribes)
He met with Leni Riefenstahl when no one else in Hollywood would see her, but he doesn't seem to have actually been a Nazi or anti-Semite otherwise.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He met with Leni Riefenstahl when no one else in Hollywood would see her, but he doesn't seem to have actually been a Nazi or anti-Semite otherwise.
Given how groundbreaking her movies were, especially back then, I'd chalk that up to Disney being a proto-film sperg and wanting to meet her

It's weird to think that three of the most influential movies in the entire history of cinema as an artform were all propaganda films for some of the worst people in history.

The Birth of A Nation, Battleship Potemkin, and Triumph of The Will were literal propaganda for the KKK, Bolsheviks, and Nazis respectively and yet even in 2020, movies are using techniques that these movies more or less invented and directors still include the occasional homage to them today.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Apparently how you make the park "timeless" is adding IPs that were made/acquired in the last decade.
To be fair, some of them are likely to become timeless classics in a similar vein to the 90s films.

My money would be on Tangled and Frozen specifically, but I do think Wreck-It-Ralph, Princess and The Frog, Big Hero 6, Moana, and Zootopia are all pretty high up there as well and am glad Disney is finally giving them any level of attention.

The only shaky ones for me are Star Wars (obviously) and a bit of Marvel. Marvel has its merits, but passed the main Avengers will any of the others really be remembered? Ant Man and Doctor Strange are pretty much wannabe Iron Man clones in the MCU, and I feel Gaurdians of the Galaxy, for as much as I like it, is a film of its time heavily playing on 80s nostalgia of the early 2010s, so I fully expect it to get dated. The only other characters besides Spider-Man, which they cannot use, are Captain Marvel and Black Panther, who will probably be forgotten if not hated in ten years.

• Agree
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
I recently had the very last of my nostalgia fueled liking of Disney disappear and it's just left me sad more then anything. Probably like a lot of kids, Disney movies were a big part of my childhood and just seeing those soulless live action remakes being pumped out one after the other makes me realize that the magic is gone and probably has been for awhile. I can still go back and watch those old movies but now I always feel a bit of sadness that Disney has given up. I used to want them to revisit their neglected films like Atlantis or Treasure Planet to give them the love they deserve but now I hope they remain forgotten since anything made now wouldn't have any love put into it.

Don't really know what to do with this feeling, already haven't kept up with Disney for the longest time. The last Disney film that I actually enjoyed watching was the Christopher Robin movie from 2018, mostly due to my enduring love of the Winnie the Pooh series.

Tags
None