Votes: 112 19.6%
  • Hunchback 2

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • A slow death

Votes: 437 76.5%

• Total voters

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
Lesbian VA wants to mention a female partner instead of a male one for a one off line, gets reported as FIRST OPENLY LGBT PIXAR CHARACTER like that means much. Especially when Disney is known for throwaway pandering to maximize $$$ at this point.
Yeah, they win no points for that.

Even weirder, if it was a male character it could possibly have held more mustard? Isn't it still socially acceptable for straight women to call their female friends "girlfriends"?

Remember too when Paranorman did it first?

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
Isn't it still socially acceptable for straight women to call their female friends "girlfriends"?
I've only ever heard the older generation use it when describing their friend circle. Every woman younger than 50 says "girlfriend" in the gay sense since "Hey there, girlfriend!" seems to have died out in the 2000s.

I've only ever heard the older generation use it when describing their friend circle. Every woman younger than 50 says "girlfriend" in the gay sense since "Hey there, girlfriend!" seems to have died out in the 2000s.
Only person that uses it unironically that I know is the county health authority director I work under. "Hey me and my girlfriends are going out for bottomless mimosas for brunch, want to come along?"

This is probably why our vaccine rollout is not going well.

Big Hero Six was the most mediocre animated Disney film of the their entire animated collection. Change my mind.
I hold a special kind of hatred for Big Hero Six because the writing team credited for the last third of that movie, Man of Action, are the same dudes who took over writing duties for Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and subsequently ran it straight into the ground. And only got the jobs because they were Jeph Loeb’s personal friends.

Well not anymore.

Hunchback of Notre Dame was seriously one of the best and darkest movies they ever made, but nobody liked it. I remember seeing articles in the local newspaper about how it was unsuitable for children.
I'm not surprised the pearl clutchers had a problem with it (and having catholic characters in a catholic setting probably didn't help either), but overall it didn't stick because of the massive tone shifts between scene to scene. One scene you have Judge Claude Frollo singing his desires to rape the gypsy lady and kill her if he can't (also blaming her for his desire for rape). And the next you have the gargoyles bouncing around and singing a silly song. Off the top of my head I can't think of a Disney movie with worse tone shifts.

I found Felix and Calhoun's romance subplot to be pretty interesting and surprisingly adorable.
It was definitely one of the more natural relationships in a Disney film, it helped that they had scenes of them just chatting and getting along as they travelled. I never watched the sequel because the trailer gave me enough cancer.
I'm not surprised the pearl clutchers had a problem with it (and having catholic characters in a catholic setting probably didn't help either), but overall it didn't stick because of the massive tone shifts between scene to scene. One scene you have Judge Claude Frollo singing his desires to rape the gypsy lady and kill her if he can't (also blaming her for his desire for rape). And the next you have the gargoyles bouncing around and singing a silly song. Off the top of my head I can't think of a Disney movie with worse tone shifts.
The whole film felt very confused, like it was written by two people who never met. I thought it was a wild fever dream I had for most of my life until I saw it in a shop a few years back.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Scream for your cream
The major issue with the film is that it's trying to Disney-ify an incredibly dark and depressing story. I've always wondered, why Hunchback? The book's not for kids by any stretch of the imagination. Even if you changed the ending to where everyone survives, you're still dealing with a rapey old man in a position of authority in the Catholic church, not to mention the pervasive religious themes present within the story. To the movie's credit, it does try to retain those themes but since it's a Disney movie it has to be at least a little accessible for the younger kids so we get singing gargoyles, and it just doesn't mesh well.

I do think it handles the dark stuff pretty well; Hellfire is probably the best scene in the movie and I love how the film opens. It's just bogged down by the fact it has to be a kids' movie.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
This was when Disney was trying to be slightly more serious than they had been. The last film they did before Hunchback was Pocahontas - Oscar bait, pure and simple.

It didn't get them any awards so then they did Hercules, which was a comedy.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
I get what they were going for with the Gargoyles since Quasimodo has to keep himself (somewhat) sane while locked in the bell tower, and they tried to keep them being a figment of his imagination vague, but I don't think they did it well enough. Like the best two examples I can think of they were hinting at this was when Frollo came up to give him his reading lessons and said "Do stones talk?", and right after the Gargoyles' musical number when Esmeralda shows up and you get a shot of what was meant to be the tapestry in the number, but it's made up of things in his room. Bringing them into the climatic battle muddled it up too much, though, but I guess they couldn't figure out a way to keep the soldiers at bay in a more natural sense.

It really was obvious they had to add the Gargoyles in there to entertain the kids, but if they had toned down the wisecracking, I think they could've worked as extensions of Quasi since they acted kinda like his conscious at times. I give at least Laverne a pass since that was Mary Wickes' final role and she (Laverne was a she, right?) gave the best advice to Quasi in his lowest moments. Jason Alexander was either a miscast or a waste of good talent.

Pocahontas is the must beautiful misfire in Disney history. It LOOKS great. Really well animated and all that...just too bad that its meaningless trash in execution.

Hunchback is a weird one. It is a STRONG B+ that is slightly frustrating because it could have been an easy A if they fixed a few things. Hunchback I have revisited and I find myself liking it more on rewatches, but man if they done a few things differently (The Gargoyles) it could/would have been amazing.

Hercules was an attempt to recreate Aladdin, plain and simple, and it didn't completely work, though I think it has its moments (James Woods as Hades is fantatsic). People shit on it, but I don't know, I've always liked Greek Mythology and a "Disney-fied" version of it was kind of fun.

The book's not for kids by any stretch of the imagination.
Neither is Hercules for that matter, but that one's consistent in it's tone. It's also one of the most visually unique Disney movies in the library, unless you hate the movies that look too unique.

The last film they did before Hunchback was Pocahontas - Oscar bait, pure and simple.
The irony here is that they were so focused on recreating everything that worked for Beauty and the Beast (and completely failing in the process) that The Lion King was completely ignored; it only existed as filler to bridge the gap between Aladdin and Pocahontas. This creative freedom led to a smash hit out of nowhere (for the execs completely focused on Pocahontas anyways) that is so long lasting that it led to a stage version that only stopped because of Corona. Whereas Pocahontas was only really talked about when it first came out and was already mostly forgotten about by the time it came out on VHS. And judging by the lack of special editions and anything else, the studio wants us to forget about it too.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
Neither is Hercules for that matter, but that one's consistent in it's tone. It's also one of the most visually unique Disney movies in the library, unless you hate the movies that look too unique.

The irony here is that they were so focused on recreating everything that worked for Beauty and the Beast (and completely failing in the process) that The Lion King was completely ignored; it only existed as filler to bridge the gap between Aladdin and Pocahontas. This creative freedom led to a smash hit out of nowhere (for the execs completely focused on Pocahontas anyways) that is so long lasting that it led to a stage version that only stopped because of Corona. Whereas Pocahontas was only really talked about when it first came out and was already mostly forgotten about by the time it came out on VHS. And judging by the lack of special editions and anything else, the studio wants us to forget about it too.
You also only ever hear anyone talk about Pocahontas when someone hitches about how James Cameron allegedly ripped off its plot for Avatar.

As far as Hunchback goes, I definitely appreciate it but Hunchback was always a weird book for Disney to try to adapt, not to mention it has not at all aged well. Hellfire is basically r/NiceGuys: The Song.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
More evidence that executives don't know shit about quality.

woowie queen

it's all about ethics and lollipops.
tbh, i find the disney bh6 designs boring af. i get that the original ones from the marvel comic might have been too much, but, uh, cartoon!honey lemon is a big downgrade.

Disney has to push merch somehow, and the gargoyles were...the only merch from that film.

The writers tried though.

You also only ever hear anyone talk about Pocahontas when someone hitches about how James Cameron allegedly ripped off its plot for Avatar.
Just like how weebs only talk about Kimba/Jungle Emperor Leo when they bitch about The Lion King supposedly ripped that off.

Disney has to push merch somehow, and the gargoyles were...the only merch from that film.

The writers tried though.
Well, that's not entirely true. I distinctly remember having a coloring book following the movie (loosely) before seeing the movie. But yeah, it didn't have nearly the merchandise they tried to push with Pocahontas, which itself was nothing compared to what The Lion King had. There was still a ton of Lion King toys, books, crafts, food, ect. on the shelf when these two movies were in theaters. There still was some around even when Hercules came out. They didn't really phase it out until the end of the decade. I don't think they've had such a successful merch run since then, except maybe for the Disney Princess line. And that's because they won't let that line die out.

Max Doof

Trapped in a box.
Out of the Disney Renaissance, the one I keep going back to is Hercule's. Even with it's problems it just works for me and I really love how at the time it stood out art wise from the rest of the films. Post Renaissance has got to be Lilo and Stitch. That's a movie that made me fell in love with hawaii and Chris Sanders is probably one of my favorite disney artist's.