Dissociative identity disorder on tumblr - Self-dx fun times

Kawi6n-Er

Tumbler
kiwifarms.net
Alright I looked and I couldn't find a thread for this but holy shit the "D.I.D. / multiple personality disorder" community on tumblr is straight up wild. I'm not a psychology expert but this does not seems like a legit diagnosed thing that all of these people have. There are people "switching" from personality to personality having text conversations that they post, people with "alters" from current anime and like Sherlock Holmes stuff, people running blogs as their "alter" who is actually definitely, really, for real the character from a tv show and don't you dare invalidate them because it's real. I saw a blog claiming 3% of the worlds population has D.I.D. (About 250,000,000 people I guess). Notable fun times: systems arguing with other systems about whether or not "natural" systems exist and whether or not "fictives" exist and if they should be called "soulbound" (as in a fictional character connected mentally and spiritually with the tumblr user). They call people who don't have headmates "singlets". Am I a dick for thinking this is fucking unhealthy as shit?
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Zvantastika

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Am I a dick for thinking this is fucking unhealthy as shit?
No. Actually, I think this people are just pathetic, not unhealthy.

They are just attention whores with no redeeming qualities, so what they do to get attention?, make shit up to appear more interesting. When that fails, they seek attention from the only person open to the idea of listening to them: themselves. So now they held make up shit of themselves with his other selves trying to get acceptance from others like them. In other words, a world of asspatters with made up shit.

I've talked with people with multiple personality disorder before and oh boy, they don't do this kind of shit. Normally these guys don't know of their disorder until a real medic makes a diagnostic and once they know of it, they take all kind of measures to try to control it because it's no way as fancy or easy going as Dumblr tries to portrait it. So yep, these people are probably just edgy teens trying too hard to get attention.

Kawi6n-Er

Tumbler
kiwifarms.net
im not gonna lie, multiple personality tumblr is my personal lolcow machine. Here's a website that I've seen quoted a lot in tumblr discourse:
image.png
Alright that looks legit... So some chill dudes created this website that every dissociative identity disorder sufferer now quotes. Unfortunately all of the material / evidence about d.i.d. really seems like it was ripped straight from tumblr as evidenced by professional medical graphics:
image.jpeg

There's a ton of legit medical sources at the bottom but after reading through it, most of the sources don't have much to do with the tumblr type terminology used in the actual body of text.
image.png
idk do you guys think this medical site is legit?

Kawi6n-Er

Tumbler
kiwifarms.net
More random stuff I found

System hopping: when your alters (which are formed in your brain) can go into other people's "systems" and vice versa

image.jpeg

Imagine dating someone like this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a chick who's in a relationship with Sam from supernatural who is her "headmate" because of course he is

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

Andrew Noel Schaefer

Mentally ill goblin who only talks about soda.
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
It legit pisses me off when they justify this shit as a "coping mechanism". Also while DiD does exist, it's not MPD. When someone with DiD flips, they are still them and really have no recollection on what they did during the flip afterwards. As opposed to these faggots who remember everything

Y.V.

Local Gun God
kiwifarms.net
These people should seek therapists for their delusions. This is not healthy. Or, you know, they can go outside instead of being on the computer, constantly scrolling through Tumblr for the likes or reblogs they'll never get from reasonably sane people on their stupid posts.

Pathetic that their lives are reduced to Tumblr.

Pinkamena Diane Pie

kiwifarms.net
It legit pisses me off when they justify this shit as a "coping mechanism". Also while DiD does exist, it's not MPD. When someone with DiD flips, they are still them and really have no recollection on what they did during the flip afterwards. As opposed to these faggots who remember everything
From what I gathered (which is from someone with legitimate DiD), each alternative is them, but each shattered. Each try to project a different aspect, but they're still, at the very core, the original personality. They do know what happened to some degree and have some semblance of a clue, but it definitely isn't much. Many can tell you their personality without switching in though.

The ones on tumblr aren't anything like that. They're too calculated, even by some standards. They're there, but they're useless. If they're shards of ones personality and trauma, you would tell

RIck Sanchez

Riggedy riggedy wrecked
kiwifarms.net
No. Actually, I think this people are just pathetic, not unhealthy.

They are just attention whores with no redeeming qualities, so what they do to get attention?, make shit up to appear more interesting. When that fails, they seek attention from the only person open to the idea of listening to them: themselves. So now they held make up shit of themselves with his other selves trying to get acceptance from others like them. In other words, a world of asspatters with made up shit.

I've talked with people with multiple personality disorder before and oh boy, they don't do this kind of shit. Normally these guys don't know of their disorder until a real medic makes a diagnostic and once they know of it, they take all kind of measures to try to control it because it's no way as fancy or easy going as Dumblr tries to portrait it. So yep, these people are probably just edgy teens trying too hard to get attention.
I think it is unhealthy. Most of these people are young adults with major self esteem issues (among other issues). They hate themselves so much that they would rather pretend to be 20 anime characters online than actually deal with their problems. It ignores real problems and can even make them worse.
The rhetoric is so stupid. My coping mechanism is drinking until I black out, that doesn't make it healthy or effective.

Shit, you don't even have to have DID anymore. "Multiplicity" is perfectly natural, and as Tumblr says, "valid."
no.JPG

Erica

resident shitlord
kiwifarms.net
It may exist but it does not exist in the fantastical, farcical way that tumblr fakers pretend it does.
Absolutely, and the number of people that are even aware they have it are lower than recognized cases due to the fact it's often mistaken for schizophrenia.

Tumblr users following this trend also cannot differentiate from dissociation in general and dissociative identity disorder. Example:
image.jpeg

(This was also in the actuallydid tag)

PetalPinkPuppy

What did you expect from a dog in a tutu?
kiwifarms.net
While it is possible for a person with DiD to latch onto a fictional character and for that character to become an identity, it doesn't work in the way tumblr thinks it does. There are no "kin feels" involved, there is no switching in and out of that persona when it's convenient, the person doesn't pick up more and more "headmates" from popular media, there's no "but I can't be kin with that one because they're not white", and it's always a maladaptive and unhealthy coping mechanism that usually occurs as a response to trauma. I knew someone who had an alter who was a strong, fatherly male and he showed up when she couldn't deal with being pressured or being reminded of abuse she suffered as a child, not because OH MY GOD, that person ships Garnet and Peridot and I'm LITERALLY SHAKING or because it was a convenient "out" of any situation. She had no conscious control over it, she told me it was like being pushed aside and it terrified her.

Why tumblr thinks everything from DiD to BPD to PTSD to autism are happy fun rides is beyond me.