Dissociative identity disorder on tumblr - Self-dx fun times

yasscat

picture a cat that is also a bumblebee
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly the whole concept of DID is just so fucking stupid. It’s not real. I’m usually pretty accepting of mental illnesses but this one is 100% bullshit.

I will accept any other mental illness. Depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, what the fuck ever, those all make some kind of sense, but DID is 100% bullshit. Mood swings make sense, so do hallucinations, especially since drugs can make those things occur too. Which shows it can be influenced by what chemicals are going off in your noggin.

But how the fuck do you suddenly “become a 7 year old girl with a totally different outlook on life and different likes and dislikes”. It doesn’t happen, or if it does it’s some kind of psychosis thing? I guess? Like you’re deluded that you are a 7 year old? Or maybe you pretend to be a 7 year old to cope with trauma. But there’s not actually an entire other being stored up inside someone’s head??? They’re still the same person. So when these people try to get mad about how you have to respect all the “people” in their “system” it just makes me roll my eyes. It’s them playing pretend behind a computer screen. These are not separate people, this is a game for attention and I will never accept this disorder or take it seriously.

The whole thing has no fucking evidence that’s substantial. In fact, I heard somewhere that it only occurs in western nations, which screams fake to me. The fact it’s occurances/frequency at which people are diagnosed with it spikes when movies with it come out is very suspect too.

It’s a load of bullshit and none of it is real.
Where'd you get your degree in psychology, my dude

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
No matter how you feel about it, DID is very real, and rare. But still real, if you believe and understand dissociation, it's not hard to understand how DID comes into play.
Actually it's a pretty controversial diagnosis with many practitioners maintaining that it does not, in fact, exist. It's still in the DSM though.

If it does exist, it isn't remotely like the made up horseshit tumblrinas larp about.

A number of sub-Saharan African cultures believe in the possibility to house multiple spirits in one body, and it’s a common spiritual practice in places there. The concept of a “Tulpa”, as many tumblrinas have appropriated, came from Tibet and was a rite of passage in which you created a separate being in your mind, and then killed it. Many cases of identity disorders in places of the world are mistaken still for possession as they historically have been.

Before you whine about western culture at least whine about something that’s accurate.
Tumblr autists and ponyfags and other degenerates who claim to create tulpas don't do it as part of a spiritual discipline, but so they can masturbate to it. If they actually successfully drive themselves insane, they kind of deserve it.

PROTIP: if you create a tulpa you then cannot get rid of, create a Jackie Chan tulpa to kill it.

V

VA 540

kiwifarms.net
Actually it's a pretty controversial diagnosis with many practitioners maintaining that it does not, in fact, exist. It's still in the DSM though.

If it does exist, it isn't remotely like the made up horseshit tumblrinas larp about.

Tumblr autists and ponyfags and other degenerates who claim to create tulpas don't do it as part of a spiritual discipline, but so they can masturbate to it. If they actually successfully drive themselves insane, they kind of deserve it.

PROTIP: if you create a tulpa you then cannot get rid of, create a Jackie Chan tulpa to kill it.
Oh, no definitely, tumblr tulpas are a half-baked idea at best, and none of them can actually point out the difference between a tulpa and an imaginary friend if asked directly.

I just wanted to point out that the concept of multiple identities or people in a single mind is not exclusively a western concept. In fact, some of these people argue amongst themselves that tulpamancy (yes that’s what they call it) is racist/cultural appropriation.

~*dank meme*~

Sims Sperg
kiwifarms.net
I get why it’s controversial and shit really and it’s a fair assumption to make but it’s still related to dissociation which is legitimately a problem.

Tumblrites suck and misappropriate everything they do I thought that was pretty obvious when it came to anyone here who is on the side of saying it’s real that they're not supporting fat tumblr user LARPing

LateNightComics

I died in the comic book.
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Oh, no definitely, tumblr tulpas are a half-baked idea at best, and none of them can actually point out the difference between a tulpa and an imaginary friend if asked directly.

I just wanted to point out that the concept of multiple identities or people in a single mind is not exclusively a western concept. In fact, some of these people argue amongst themselves that tulpamancy (yes that’s what they call it) is racist/cultural appropriation.
You spam every thread about pluralfags and fake DID with your horseshit. Who are you trying to convince? All you do is try to legitimize this nonsense.
DID is for lonely troons who live in such filth the only friends they have are imaginary.
Prove me wrong.

RacerDee

kiwifarms.net
Here's my fav instagram "DID" vlogger. It's crazy town. This is Alexys from the munchie thread, who recently started ramping up her DID claims rather than her chronic illness claims, and I'm just amazed by the content. I'm not sure she did her research on realistic switching or whatever, but this can't be it. I'm not sure how to embed the videos better, I think you have to click on them to see them. She claims to have little alters who she buys toys for and records herself in the bath playing with toys, Jordan the gansta boy, and some girly girl type personalities who like makeup. her insta handle is @system_unite.

Attachments

heavycream

kiwifarms.net
DID is extremely rare, and those who have pointed out the difference between DID and MPD are correct. However, the DSM doesn't acknowledge the latter so assertively.

Edit for clarification: 'MPD' as a label doesn't exist anymore, i say 'MPD' to refer to switching alters, I am not ignorant to it's nonexistence.

Dissociation disorders are a broader category include things such as derealization and depersonalization, which do not involve the loss of self in substitute of another self, but rather a feeling of unfamiliarity with the self. (Consider Cotards syndrome, where patients frequently report 'feeling dead' because they have dissociated from themselves and don't have any kind of grounding).
Memory impairments and cognitive distortions are pre-requisites to the condition(s), dissociation is not in the slightest bit seamless.

While I believe about 90% of the people screen-capped in this thread are malingering, some may be benevolently mistaken. Their supposed 'DID' is likely epiphenomenal of the therapist's office, wherein through discussion of, say, childhood experiences, trauma and other psychological distress, therapists lead the patient into believing they have trauma-induced alters etc. Neither intended the outcome, but it's self-reinforcing. Look up Elizabeth Loftus' work on false-memory induction for a similar phenomena.

The existence of multiple-personalities, where there is none of the original self upon switching, and the person lives many different, non-interacting lives, is still highly contentious, even though most psychologists will tentatively acquiesce the mere existence of the condition.

Last edited:

incorrigible shit goblin

I killed God and all I got was this KF account
kiwifarms.net

This whole ass website. Please, I beg you, give it a read.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net

This whole ass website. Please, I beg you, give it a read.

This didn't age well.

chuggintheseawater

kiwifarms.net
Is anybody familiar with the old tourettes YouTuber idranktheseawater? I was surprised I couldn't find a single post about her on the site. She's been coming out with videos over the past couple months now claiming to have DID, breaking out the wigs and character introductions and everything. I remember there being some debate surrounding her in the YT sphere due to her countless videos of her experiencing "tic-attacks" and the legitimacy of the videos. I didn't think too much about whether she was faking tourettes or not, but seeing all of her new DID videos are making my bullshit detector buzz.

Here's a link to her channel for those who want to criticize with me: https://www.youtube.com/user/idranktheseawater/featured

JYBlowsIt

>:|
kiwifarms.net
Is anybody familiar with the old tourettes YouTuber idranktheseawater? I was surprised I couldn't find a single post about her on the site. She's been coming out with videos over the past couple months now claiming to have DID, breaking out the wigs and character introductions and everything. I remember there being some debate surrounding her in the YT sphere due to her countless videos of her experiencing "tic-attacks" and the legitimacy of the videos. I didn't think too much about whether she was faking tourettes or not, but seeing all of her new DID videos are making my bullshit detector buzz.

Here's a link to her channel for those who want to criticize with me: https://www.youtube.com/user/idranktheseawater/featured
If she's got wigs for different alters, she probably got all her DID information by watching Yugioh.

anonsocio

kiwifarms.net
I agree with the idea that DID is broadly bullshit and that leads me to this: what is actually going on in these people's minds? If psychologists had to give a diagnosis of faking DID for whatever reason what would it be? BPD, psychosis, Narcissism?

GenociderSyo

Syo
kiwifarms.net
I agree with the idea that DID is broadly bullshit and that leads me to this: what is actually going on in these people's minds? If psychologists had to give a diagnosis of faking DID for whatever reason what would it be? BPD, psychosis, Narcissism?
They refer to it as: Factitious disorder and malingering.

From dsm-v:
Individuals who feign dissociative identity disorder do not report the subtle symptoms of intrusion characteristic of the disorder; instead
they tend to overreport well-publicized symptoms of the disorder, such as dissociative amnesia, while underreporting less-publicized comorbid symptoms, such as depression. Individuals who feign dissociative identity disorder tend to be relatively undisturbed by or may even seem to enjoy "having" the disorder. In contrast, individuals with genuine dissociative identity disorder tend to be ashamed of and overwhelmed by their symptoms and to underreport their symptoms or deny their condition. Sequential observation, corroborating history, and intensive psychometric and psychological assessment may be helpful in assessment.

Individuals who malinger dissociative identity disorder usually create limited, stereotyped alternate identities, with feigned amnesia, related to the events for which gain is sought. For example, they may present an "all-good" identity and an "all-bad" identity in hopes of gaining exculpation for a crime.

interalia

kiwifarms.net
Found this one in the wild:

discovered a new alter today for the first time since realizing i had a dissociative disorder. she doesn't have a name yet, but she's a little girl and she's scared. she has a tummy ache like i always did when i was anxious as a kid. she's about the same age as Smol Bug, maybe a little younger, so 3.5-4. she was really confused about being in an adult body. when i offered her a grilled cheese she almost cried out of gratitude but she didn't end up eating much of it because of her stomachache.

it's so weird living in my brain lol