Disturbing, and / or Dark Animated Movies and Shows - Animations you have seen that may not be very child friendly.

Eryngium

Fix animated profile pics @Null you gutless mothe
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, man...I came away not knowing what to think about that show.
Yeah the ending had a sudden tone-shift, It was really well done but it was so depressing and hopeless compared to the rest of the show, it felt like a punch in the stomach, I don't think I've ever had such an absolutely love and absolutely hate relationship with the ending of any other show.

Marco Fucko

Welcome to the fruit fields.
kiwifarms.net
Now and Then, Here and There is an older isekai story except it takes place in a post-apocalyptic desert and the creator was inspired by the atrocities he heard about during the Rwandan Genocide.

Bokurano is a story about a group of kids pressed into saving the world, but it's given more weight (that's all I'll say to avoid spoilers). OP is dope as hell.

MediocreMilt

Official Account of Dr. Natalia P Zhikhareva
kiwifarms.net
Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings"

Some parts are laughably exceptional (looking at you, any scene where Samwise is prominent or good lord, that fucking "Balrog")

But there's a pretty brilliant creepy aesthetic for the orcs and the Nazgul. And it's really fucking cool. In general, the movie is a cartoon, but the dark creatures (again, ignore the exceptional Balrog) are live action actors they rotoscoped in

Also, the opening is in this weird silhouette aesthetic that always stuck with me

Love Soze

kiwifarms.net

Idols, murder, gang rape, psycho stalkers. David Lynch would approve of this anime.
I just watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. Very good flick.
However, in general I have trouble finding anything animated 'disturbing'. The fact that it is animated adds a barrier to my suspension of disbelief that I have a trouble overcoming, and without that suspension I can't really get scared. I'll have to watch from suggestions in this thread to see if I can find a good one.

Wendy_Carter

I am coming for you!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A very classic answer - Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is a horror/comedy show that revolves around the eponymous dog, who finds himself in paranormal situations more often than he feels comfortable with, and his two owners, Eustace and Muriel. The humor in the show is very surreal and rather dark. One of the episodes covers domestic abuse and (probably) prostitution. It gets THAT dark. This probably wouldn't fly nowadays, because it probably would've been deemed 'too scary for children', and especially because a show like this requires subtlety, and subtlety is something people seemingly forgot recently when making kids' shows.

Probably the single most well-known moment of the series.

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
Yokai Ningen Bem (Humanoid Monster Bem), produced by Daichi Doga in 1968. It tells the story of three monstrous creatures of unknow origins (even though it's hinted that they were born during some kind of experiment). The can take a humanoid form, and travel the world to help humans in the hope to become human too. They usuall fight against supernatural threats, cultists and child abusers. Here's the first episode:

Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena), produced by TV Tokyo in 1997. The first 13-episodes arc seems your usual, if bizarre and slightly dark, high-school-magical-girl schtick: girl has to fight because of a mysterious entity, receives powers, there's a cute animal companion, blah blah blah. But the more it goes on, the creeepier it becomes. Here's the trailer of the Italian edition.

And in general, most of the sci-fi animes made in the 70s have their quota of creepiness.

Reactions: XYZpdq

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
I recommend Cat Soup, with is surreal and heartbreaking (made by an animator in tribute of an artist colleague and friend who had committed suicide), but most people who are into manga already know that one:

If you are looking for high quality dark/dystonian animation just make a Vimeo account and follow their animation groups, or follow some professional animators, like the ones who are still students in art schools. Animation students watch animation films on Vimeo all the time to learn animation history, learn new tricks and hone their skills. On Vimeo you can see all the films that the people you follow like. The Asian animators are liking dark animations all the time, they are good source to follow for new uploads, many of which you can download for free. A lot of the short animations on Vimeo are free downloads.

Some dark/dystopian animations I recommend on Vimeo and elsewhere:

The Old Lurker

Who wants a razor-blade apple?
kiwifarms.net
Death Lullaby: A fantastic short film about the industrialization of Japan and bullying. It's done by the same guy who directed the Shojo Tsubaki anime. Wish it was more well known, it's pretty interesting.

Belladonna of Sadness: Part of the Animerama project of Tezuka and Yamamoto. While narratively being the weakest of the three film. It is a gorgeous looking movie and the only one of them to have a remaster and widespread release in the west. It is the story of a women who is raped and winds up making a deal with Satan.

Neco z Alenky: Interesting Alice in Wonderland adaption which is a stop-motion live action hybrid. It's actually decently faithful and contains scenes a lot of Alice adaptations miss, like the Ugly Duchess. Film as a whole looks and feels nothing like the source though and largely takes place in a single run-down house. Lot's of familiar characters look bizarre, below is a snippet of the caterpillar scene for example.

And here are some shorts
NSFW
Chickens
One of my favorites
NSFW and NSFL

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For me, it is not the films or series that you know going into it that it will disturb you.
It's the films or series departs from the norms associated within a larger franchise.

Examples:

1. One Piece Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island.
Without spoiling it, the film makes a serious departure from anything from the source material.
A very dark theme lies beneath the surface of what initially seems to a spirited romp.

2. Naruto: Shippuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison
Again, a very serious departure from the franchise and is the darkest thing seen in it.
No happy romp here.

Reactions: Violence Jack

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
There's too much talk of cat sex. A cat serial killer. Cat murder. Animal testing horrors. A dream sequence with cat corpses and some genetics guy making them dance on strings.
The author of the original book, who was also involved in the movie adaptation, is kinda interesting.
He's a Turkish immigrant living in Germany who caused a lot of controversy here by going full redpill and ranting against gays, feminists, Muslims, and leftists.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino