Disturbing, and / or Dark Animated Movies and Shows - Animations you have seen that may not be very child friendly.

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
A few more dark animations (these combine traditional 2D animation techniques with CGI/3D):

This is the 2010 debut of the film director who went on to make Another Day of Life, the rotoscope animated documentary I linked to earlier in this thread (I like this one better):

Animated music video:

Quite disturbing:

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Also this scene from one of my favorite movies as a kid. I used to shut my eyes during this scene after watching it once:
I loved that movie when I was young, and boy does it contain a lot of dark or sad scenes for something that has a premise that sounds silly. Like when Air Conditioner dies because he's so upset from believing their master never loved or cared about him because he's stuck in a window, only to later be repaired and brought back to life by the master, realizing he really does care.

Or how about the part where Toaster encounters the beautiful (and lonely) flower, and learns about how the truth can have devastating effect on others, even if the intent isn't to be mean or cruel.

Another good example from that movie is the scene where the blender is dismantled for it's motor. Through the use of discretion shots and the reactions of the protagonists, the simple act of dismantling an appliance turns into horror.

And of course who can forget the climax where Toaster willingly throws himself into the gears of the trash compressor to save his friends and their human master from being crushed alive. I could only find this clip as a director's cut meme.

For the curious the entire movie is on YouTube here. The quality is ass, though.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's intentionally scary, but this scene from Dumbo isn't very friendly to toddlers.

I recall being very young when I saw this but it never scared me at all.

MsStevieMarie

kiwifarms.net
It's Such A Beautiful Day.

Probably one of my favourite animated films of all time. It doesn't look like much but the story is amazing. It's about a guy with some sort of brain injury slowly succumbing to dementia. I wouldn't recommend watching this before you go to bed cause you will go to bed sad.

Smile.

Cool scary animation made by Israeli students.

Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution.

Kickass Pearl Jam video from Todd McFarlane of Spawn fame and one of the directors on Batman: The Animated Series.

Speaking of which...

Heart Of Ice

I feel BTAS is kind of underrated these days. Take this episode for example which examines the origins of Mister Freeze and for the first time actually makes you see that behind the costume and the goofy name there's a human being.

In the Air of the Night

Bunny Boiler | Info Farmer
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Disney, remember that time from The Three Caballeros where Donald had a boner so hard he had an fucking acid trip:

Alex, I'll take "Shit that definitely won't fly today" for 1000.

I still liked this movie but goddamn. Who ever thought, "You know what this movie about introducing South American culture to the US needs? How about showing our cartoon character get hard on over Latina poon to show how much we really love the culture?" is likely a creep like every other person in Hollywood.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Disney, remember that time from The Three Caballeros where Donald had a boner so hard he had an fucking acid trip:

I still liked this movie but goddamn. Who ever thought, "You know what this movie about introducing South American culture to the US needs? How about showing our cartoon character get hard on over Latina poon to show how much we really love the culture?" is likely a creep like every other person in Hollywood.
It was a different time, they had Donald do that a lot in those early cartoons. And I wouldn't be surprised if Acapulco became an even bigger destination thanks to this one film.

In the Air of the Night

Bunny Boiler | Info Farmer
kiwifarms.net
It was a different time, they had Donald do that a lot in those early cartoons. And I wouldn't be surprised if Acapulco became an even bigger destination thanks to this one film.
I know it was from a different time. But it's kinda of dissonant for me to see Donald acting like a creep when I grew up seeing him with Daisy and only Daisy for most of my childhood. The trippy backgrounds didn't help either. It's like learning about the time Mickey had no idea what consent means, it kinda changes your perspective on a character. What once was okay then would not be fine now because we don't turn a blind eye on shit like this anymore, especially post #metoo. In other words, it was harsher in hindsight. Idk, but maybe that's just me.

Also, yeah, which is funny because they didn't even shot the scene in Acapulco. They just filmed it in the studio parking lot with lots and lots of sand.

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know it was from a different time. But it's kinda of dissonant for me to see Donald acting like a creep when I grew up seeing him with Daisy and only Daisy for most of my childhood. The trippy backgrounds didn't help either. It's like learning about the time Mickey had no idea what consent means, it kinda changes your perspective on a character. What once was okay then would not be fine now because we don't turn a blind eye on shit like this anymore, especially post #metoo. In other words, it was harsher in hindsight. Idk, but maybe that's just me.
Could be, I'm in my 40's and I don't have the same thoughts on these scenarios you do. Turning a blind eye was all we ever did and never questioned things beyond context that I notice younger people do. I think because these are cartoon characters, audiences never saw them as logical beings and have to follow societal norms that seems to be heavily nailed down now. This was what made the Golden Age of Animation worked.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Latina poon is a really good selling point, though.

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
It's Such A Beautiful Day.

Probably one of my favourite animated films of all time. It doesn't look like much but the story is amazing. It's about a guy with some sort of brain injury slowly succumbing to dementia. I wouldn't recommend watching this before you go to bed cause you will go to bed sad.

Smile.

Cool scary animation made by Israeli students.

Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution.

Kickass Pearl Jam video from Todd McFarlane of Spawn fame and one of the directors on Batman: The Animated Series.

Speaking of which...

Heart Of Ice

I feel BTAS is kind of underrated these days. Take this episode for example which examines the origins of Mister Freeze and for the first time actually makes you see that behind the costume and the goofy name there's a human being.
I've been meaning to go back to BTAS for a while now. Lot of fond memories. I think I have the Killing Joke feature around my place somewhere.

The DCEU is utter garbage. They should abandon live action movies and go back to their 2d animated films and series. It's really the only medium where they kicked the shit out of Marvel.

Clockwork_PurBle

"I got a B+ in lurking!"
kiwifarms.net
The 1980 Rankin/Bass (and only) film adaptation of The Last Unicorn has some pretty spooky sequences in it. Of course, it's based on a book.

Mommy Fortuna allows herself to be killed by the harpy.

Drunk, laughing, screaming skeleton. (Homeless veteran of the Skeleton War, c. 1980 colorized).

Unicorn is actually naked when she turns into a human.

MsStevieMarie

kiwifarms.net
I've been meaning to go back to BTAS for a while now. Lot of fond memories. I think I have the Killing Joke feature around my place somewhere.

The DCEU is utter garbage. They should abandon live action movies and go back to their 2d animated films and series. It's really the only medium where they kicked the shit out of Marvel.
I enjoy some DCEU stuff but I feel the animated stuff has suffered since they started concentrating on it. Although I did watch Batman Vs TMNT the other night and had a blast.

Reactions: Poiseon

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
More dark and disturbing short animations:

This short is the perfect example of what I was telling you about before about those Asian animators on Vimeo who put out some really fucked up stuff. I suspect this originated in the same environment responsible for #Elsagate

Reactions: Dullahan
Tags
None