Disturbing, and / or Dark Animated Movies and Shows - Animations you have seen that may not be very child friendly.

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Puar

Flying Shape Shifting Cat Thing
kiwifarms.net
Brave Little Toaster was pretty grim. The fireman clown, the scene with the cars and this.

Reactions: Coleman Francis

Niggernerd

Mystic neko with a ringy dingy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Devilman: Crybaby.
Lots of naughty parts, also a decent amount of gore.
I think the older ones were worse. Like the Amon movie.

for me I'd say Violence Jack (especially the 3rd OVA where there was a gang of businessmen and gang of bikers/criminals and both try and do rape the 3rd group that's just beautiful women) , Riki-Oh, Perfect Blue, Watership Down, that Mark Twain show that was on Nickelodeon That's claymation, Ninjascroll, Peewees big adventure, Return to Oz

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Chirpy, where a horse fucks a bird for eight minutes straight in a cutesy hand drawn animation style. It's no longer on Youtube.

The there is Where the Dead Go To Die which has a satanic dog, pedophilia, beastiality, killing unborn babies and awful 3D animation.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

...Hot Pooey
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anything by Adam Elliot

He's an Australian Claymation animator that does mostly short films with a darkly comedic sense of humor to them, and are mostly based on reality (which is why he calls his works "Clayographies")

You might have heard of two of his works:

The first being the Oscar winning short Harvie Krumpet, about a Polish Australian immigrant with Tourettes Syndrome (Narrated by Geoffrey Rush):

Then we have his only feature length film, Mary and Max, about an emotionally neglected Australian girl (Later in the movie played by Toni Colette) who befriends an obese man with Aspergers Syndrome (Played by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in what I think is his only animated film role.) and how their relationship develops over twenty plus years. Also stars Eric Bana and narrated by Barry Humphries.

Both of these films are pretty dark but have their share of dark comedy to keep it from being too depressing, although I hear from some people that Mary and Max is still too much for them.
I've shown it to over 50 people and they all loved it.

He has another short film that came out back in 2016 called Ernie Biscuit, which is actually ALOT more light hearted and can be found on his website for free.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anything by Adam Elliot

He's an Australian Claymation animator that does mostly short films with a darkly comedic sense of humor to them, and are mostly based on reality (which is why he calls his works "Clayographies")

The first being the Oscar winning short Harvie Krumpet, about a Polish Australian immigrant with Tourettes Syndrome (Narrated by Geoffrey Rush):

Then we have his only feature length film, Mary and Max, about an emotionally neglected Australian girl (Later in the movie played by Toni Colette) who befriends an obese man with Aspergers Syndrome (Played by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in what I think is his only animated film role.) and how their relationship develops over twenty plus years. Also stars Eric Bana and narrated by Barry Humphries.

Both of these films are pretty dark but have their share of dark comedy to keep it from being too depressing, although I hear from some people that Mary and Max is still too much for them.

He has another short film that came out back in 2016 called Ernie Biscuit, which is actually ALOT more light hearted and can be found on his website for free.
I do adore what Adam Eiliot was able to do with such unique themes he puts in his films.

Cardenio

Yeed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember being a little kid, so this had to be around the latter half of the 90s. It was Halloween Season and MTV played this short claymation film about a little boy being scared by a tall monster which was kinda Babadook esque and the fear was that the monster would steal his eyes. The kid freaks out looking around the bedroom and then when he thinks the monster will get him it turns out to be his mother who then lovingly hugs him. But then of course the monster does get him shortly after and then the ending is the monster standing in the center with a bunch of other eyeless children standing beside him.

This short CREEPED ME OUT and it's really the only thing that managed to disturb me on such a level beside Robbie Williams's Rock DJ. Fuck you Robbie Williams.

Anyway if anyone knows or remembers this claymation video I'd appreciate it. I want to watch it again to see what scared me as a child.

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
Chirin's Bell.

Not a particularly graphic or violent movie as some of the others in this thread, but thematically it is pretty heavy for children with the core theme of revenge and a decidedly unhappy ending. It's basically "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" the Movie.
Oh god, fuck this movie. I saw it when I was like 7. Messed me up because I couldn't understand the big shift in tone at the end. Made for children my ass. This is middle school shit at best.

• Winner
Reactions: Trilby

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
I found this old Twitter thread from 2018 were people were asked to post feature films and animations or specific scenes from features that had traumatized them when they were kids:

A lot of the features that were already posted in this thread are in here, plus some others. For example:

My problems started with this:
and on account that this cartoon is from 1968 Soviet Union, it did not only start my
problems, but problems that persist through out the generations and
countries. It's a cartoon about penguins, how bad can it be?
World history ruined by dark and disturbing animations.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I found this old Twitter thread from 2018 were people were asked to post feature films and animations or specific scenes from features that had traumatized them when they were kids:

A lot of the features that were already posted in this thread are in here, plus some others. For example:

World history ruined by dark and disturbing animations.
Reminded the Soviet Union released a short about dinosaurs that could be seen as an accurate portrayal of how the state treated it's people.

• Informative
Reactions: Nykysnottrans

Cardenio

Yeed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember being a little kid, so this had to be around the latter half of the 90s. It was Halloween Season and MTV played this short claymation film about a little boy being scared by a tall monster which was kinda Babadook esque and the fear was that the monster would steal his eyes. The kid freaks out looking around the bedroom and then when he thinks the monster will get him it turns out to be his mother who then lovingly hugs him. But then of course the monster does get him shortly after and then the ending is the monster standing in the center with a bunch of other eyeless children standing beside him.

This short CREEPED ME OUT and it's really the only thing that managed to disturb me on such a level beside Robbie Williams's Rock DJ. Fuck you Robbie Williams.

Anyway if anyone knows or remembers this claymation video I'd appreciate it. I want to watch it again to see what scared me as a child.
I found it thru Googling, The Sandman (1992). Still is effectively creepy.

Interestingly there were two versions of it made, this is the shorter one that I saw with the other blind children.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nykysnottrans

Crocketron

Friendly Neighborhood Oarfish
kiwifarms.net
Felidae, it's a German cartoon based on a German crime noir novels about cats (Feral, not anthro think Xenofiction) , sex, murder, feline genocide (Shit gets deep in both the book and novel) and Gregor Mendel's concepts of genetics. Watership down, Plague dogs and When the wind blows where obvious choices.

There is no clips but luckly someone decided to put in the whole movie, if not that then there's a review by a brit-bonger who bitched at the movie for not being kid.

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd recommend Fear(s) of the Dark, a collection of French horror shorts that also has contributions from Charles Burns, who did Black Hole, and Richard McGuire, who did Here. Some of the shorts are a little spotty, but the styles carry it through.

(No subtitles, unfortunately)

For music videos, there's "Girl Seizure" by Last Ex, where the sort-of krautrock vibe fits the grotesque imagery.

An example I'm surprised @FatFuckFrank didn't bring up is Season Three of Moral Orel, where it drops any pretense of comedy in order to be a depressing look at deeply flawed people dealing with repression and loneliness, and is also an example of subverted expectations done well in the context of the whole series.
Anything by Adam Elliot

The only other Australian claymation film I can think of is $9.99, which is more "mature" than "dark".

Nykysnottrans

Repeat after me: I am beautiful.
kiwifarms.net
More dark and disturbing animations:

"How does it feel to loose your memory?". Amazing claymation in green.

A child plays with a toy weapon and grows up with it.

3D animation about an embedded journalist in a warzone.

Ebonic Tutor

"Beware the shitposting of demons."
kiwifarms.net
People forget there was a made for TV adaption of that segment from the story The Mysterious Stranger:

Only less disturbing
This is far closer to the story of the book from looks of things. Yes he's named Satan in one of the versions of the story (I'll get to that later.) but he specifies that he's not the Satan, though he is his nephew and that it's more of a class of angels. The claymation thing just took a bit from the story (the building little people and the destruction thing does happen from what I remember) but heavily implied that he was actually just the literal devil which he isn't. He actually does try to do good things for people, thing is he's an angel and his understanding of humans and their interactions aren't great so it ends up with a lot of monkey's paw situations.

Thing was Twain never finished it before he died, there are 3 different versions of the story, 1 of which were finished as best as possible. Those being "The Chronicles of Young Satan", "Schoolhouse Hill" (Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer go on an adventure with him in that version, but he's No. 44 by that point.), and lastly "No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger" which is the version that is pretty much complete. There is also the part that happens in St. Petersburg (a name Twain used for Hannibal, Missouri) but it's just a bit of what eventually was used for the first version.

Point being, Satan wasn't evil in any version of the story but his ignorance of humans did have severe consequences.

Tags
None