Disturbing, and / or Dark Animated Movies and Shows - Animations you have seen that may not be very child friendly.

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
Not even Sheena Easton could make All Dogs Go To Heaven happy. It just was super depressing. Add to that the fact that Charlie Sheen is a crazy hiv living possible rapist, and Judith Barsi was murdered....

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not even Sheena Easton could make All Dogs Go To Heaven happy. It just was super depressing. Add to that the fact that Charlie Sheen is a crazy hiv living possible rapist, and Judith Barsi was murdered....
What do you say about Burt Reynolds (I always thought he was a better Charlie)?

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Fritz the Cat. I know most people blame that Disney Robin Hood movie for furries, but I like to blame it on this.

Heavy Metal

Rock and Rule

These three movies somehow made up a lot of late night TV watching on the CBC when I was a child. (Not sure about Fritz the Cat, I may not have seen that until much later, when my dad started borrowing friends' recorded tapes of HBO)

Reactions: Angel Dust

Celandine

Anime connoisseur
kiwifarms.net

The Pass is a Russian short cartoon based on a Kir Bulychov's novel called The Settlement (printed in English as Those Who Survive).

The plot (from wikipedia):
On a distant, snow-covered planet, a starship from Earth crashes. Due to dangerous radiation levels, the survivors have to evacuate far away. Over years, the radiation levels go down but all attempting to return to the ship die when crossing a treacherous mountain pass, due to a combination of the elements and wild animals who come out at night.

Finally, when only a few survivors are left, their teenaged children - all who were born on the world - and one of the adults decide to try to reach the ship one last time, to gain needed supplies and set off a beacon that would summon a rescue mission.

Angel Dust

Nobody wants to admit they ate 9 cans of ravioli
kiwifarms.net
Fritz the Cat. I know most people blame that Disney Robin Hood movie for furries, but I like to blame it on this.

Heavy Metal

Rock and Rule

These three movies somehow made up a lot of late night TV watching on the CBC when I was a child. (Not sure about Fritz the Cat, I may not have seen that until much later, when my dad started borrowing friends' recorded tapes of HBO)
Dang you beat me to the rock and rule punch. Fritz was never billed as a kids movie though. Their big selling point was being a dark and edgy cartoon for adults.

Weak, but the secret of nihm terrified me as a kid

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Fritz the Cat was certainly disturbing.
More so because many of the people and events were based on real ones. R. Crumb based the Nazi rabbit character on his own brother. And if you want to know how evil and destructive the radical political Left was in those days (I'm talking those who bombed buildings and assassinated people,) then Fritz the Cat lays it all out for you. R. Crumb supposedly hated Bakshi's film version of his story, because he made Fritz too sympathetic. Like, Fritz was supposed to be a complete monster who deserved his death at the end of the comic.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
More so because many of the people and events were based on real ones. R. Crumb based the Nazi rabbit character on his own brother. And if you want to know how evil and destructive the radical political Left was in those days (I'm talking those who bombed buildings and assassinated people,) then Fritz the Cat lays it all out for you. R. Crumb supposedly hated Bakshi's film version of his story, because he made Fritz too sympathetic. Like, Fritz was supposed to be a complete monster who deserved his death at the end of the comic.
That is true of what Bakshi did with Fritz, and it justifies how Crumb killed off the character as he did.

Last edited:

biledriver

piss soaked sex goblins
kiwifarms.net
@Ozul beat me to it, I fucking LOVE Bobby Yeah and you all should watch that. The amount of detail is stunning, right down to each, uh... hair and toenail. I love showing that one to people and watching their faces melt right off. The animator, Robert Morgan, has a small but amazing collection here.

Here's a beautiful Russian animation about conjoined twins.

Also Russian, this is rather amusing

Malice In Wonderland, excellent animation that leaves you with clammy "coming down from acid" feeling

It's quite nice that this thread includes the vast amount of cool shit on Vimeo, as well as not being an endless anime spergfest. But we haven't covered enough full-length films, eh?

Anyone else love Jan Svankmajer's weird shit? Let's talk about Otesanek...
(combo of live-acting and stop-motion animation) Little Otik is darkly hilarious. A woman is unable to have the children she desperately wants, so she decides a tree stump/log is her baby. Misadventures ensue when she realises, after feeding it, that it won't shut the fuck up and is ravenously devouring everything in sight. All of his movies are wonderful but I think this one really stands out.

Tags
None