"Diverse" works that aren't woke - when diversity does not fuck a movie/game/book/show up

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Aero the Alcoholic Bat

My Liver is Kill
kiwifarms.net
As far as I'm concerned, "diversity" is not inherently bad.

But it's not something to actively strive for either, nor a quota to be filled. It's just a fun little bonus that comes with choosing to treat other people like the flawed human beings they are, rather than based on the color of their skin, their sex, or their sexual orientation. Judging people on their merit, and nothing else.

So what works can you think of that have a "diverse" cast without shoehorning in unnecessary woke or leftist bullshit?

I can think of a few. Subnautica and its sequel. I really like those games.

Back 4 Blood is also pretty good albeit overpriced.

Oats12345

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would say Ratcatcher form Suicide Squad is a character I like whose Hispanic and female. She was specifically made for the movie and what I think help is that she had a sweet personality to the point she grew on me throughout the movie. I think diversity characters can work. Just make them likeable and not unlikable assholes.

I mean it helps too that she is a original character. You know how people always say "if you want a black character make your own character" well they did there.

Some Badger

Diggy Diggy Forest Dog
kiwifarms.net
Unironically, Black Lagoon. One the hallmarks of a piece of media that does diversity well is if you can consume it and not get hyperfocused on the characters’ racial backgrounds, especially for a series where the villain of the week is affiliated with some foreign criminal enterprise wrecking shop in some shithole city Thailand, not to mention all the factions coming out of China, Russia, South America, the Middle East etc who are busy killing each other on the regular. You identify characters in the show by their nationality and that’s kind of it. No preachy dialogue on racism (and I’m not counting the nazi submarine arc), fags or the patriarchy despite most of the killing in the show being done by women.

Muttnik

To the stars!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Arcane is the most recent example. POCs are genuinely badass and don't feel forced or out of place. Stronk women have visible flaws and aren't resentful of male allies or counterparts. Male characters given depth and compassion. Both the rich elite and the marginalized populaces are given pros and cons, with both good and bad traits. "Cop" characters are equally represented in a neutral light.

Overall, it's a great show and genuinely exudes diversity in a way that isn't patronizing or malicious.

Retink

the retard is Straight Frogging in a gay month.
kiwifarms.net
The Civ games, they're about different cultures so diversity is their selling point but it actually makes sense in those games.

Really there's a ton of good media with diversity in it, you just don't notice it when it's done right, but it's painfully distracting when it's forced as the story warps around it.

Unironically, Black Lagoon. One the hallmarks of a piece of media that does diversity well is if you can consume it and not get hyperfocused on the characters’ racial backgrounds, especially for a series where the villain of the week is affiliated with some foreign criminal enterprise wrecking shop in some shithole city Thailand, not to mention all the factions coming out of China, Russia, South America, the Middle East etc who are busy killing each other on the regular. You identify characters in the show by their nationality and that’s kind of it. No preachy dialogue on racism (and I’m not counting the nazi submarine arc), fags or the patriarchy despite most of the killing in the show being done by women.

It was a fun and campy show. Anime as a whole does diversity pretty well as it doesn't focus on race, something like Durara has Russians and Sushi Niggers, as well as a bunch of strong female characters.

Last edited:

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hell, the Nazi submarine arc was the best part of the show.

Prophetic Spirit

"It... it's you. The Dragon of Dojima!"
kiwifarms.net
Arcane is the most recent example. POCs are genuinely badass and don't feel forced or out of place. Stronk women have visible flaws and aren't resentful of male allies or counterparts. Male characters given depth and compassion. Both the rich elite and the marginalized populaces are given pros and cons, with both good and bad traits. "Cop" characters are equally represented in a neutral light.

Overall, it's a great show and genuinely exudes diversity in a way that isn't patronizing or malicious.
I don't know why everybody overpraises Arcane so much. It's just Riot playing smooth. They're doing the same shit in the game for years.

Retink

kiwifarms.net
I don't know why everybody overpraises Arcane so much. It's just Riot playing smooth. They're doing the same shit in the game for years.
I haven't seen it yet and didn't get the hype, but after watching a few clips it actually looks pretty good and some of the visuals are awesome like this bit on the table:

Prophetic Spirit

"It... it's you. The Dragon of Dojima!"
kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen it yet and didn't get the hype, but after watching a few clips it actually looks pretty good and some of the visuals are awesome like this bit on the table:

I don't ignore about being a good cartoon. Seems actually have a type of charm i considered lost for years, but is in the same line as Undertale or even ATLA: overpraise.

Retink

kiwifarms.net
I don't ignore about being a good cartoon. Seems actually have a type of charm i considered lost for years, but is in the same line as Undertale or even ATLA: overpraise.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was overpraise. It is a video game show so the bar was set low and people will always hype up a tie in show if they like the game. I'll also agree on ATLA as I saw it by the time Korra was out and thought it was good, but not some masterpiece. There were even things about Korra that I like more, though Korra had so many production issues that it had to constantly fight itself.

T0oCoolFool

kiwifarms.net
Would king of the hill count
I personally think so. I always felt the characters were very well fleshed out, with flaws and all. It didn't feel like pandering or tokenizing.
90’s cartoons managed to do it alright.
Yeah, Magic School Bus, Hey Arnold, etc. managed to have different races and cultures without being preachy or reducing them to stereotypes.

Skitarii

Hacker on Steroids
kiwifarms.net
Saints Row is amazing, Johnny Gat and Playa have excellent chemistry. Red Dwarf also managed to make it work pretty well; the actors were cast for their comedic merit, and good luck finding race conflict in outer space, 3 billion years into the future when all of humanity is dead and the only prejudice is done by sentient androids against all organic life.