“DmC: Devil May Cry Has Survived the Backlash & Aged Better Than Many of Its Contemporaries” - The Escapist is still shit even with Moviebob fired

• DDoS is active again.

RomanesEuntDomus

Kiwifarms hauseigener Quotennager
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's distressing how long this zeitgeist of creative types openly showing contempt for their own audience has been going on, we are fast approaching ten years of this shit, ten years of our lives we'll never get back that weren't as good as they could have been thanks to assholes making entertainment worse.
Well... thanks to people who insult their core audience and those that reward this attitude by throwing money at them. Granted, in this case (like a couple others) it didn't work out and it's just a matter of time until we have finally overcome this utterly despicable period, but I agree, until then times are not as good as they could be.

People like this Tameem motherfucker think of themselves as the best thing since sliced bread, these people think they are something like rockstars and that their products are beyond questioning. You can tell that they feel like they are doing us a favor by making a game or movie, like we have to go down on our knees and honor their names thrice a day for bestowing upon us these amazing products.

Before dmc, Team Ninja made some other game about a grumbling, growly douche of a wannabe badass and some Japanese game dev remarked at how he played the game and was taken aback how the producer's idea of making him badass was pretty much the mc just being a sadistic sociopath. Add to that this atrocious emo FUCK DA POLICE YOUR NOT ME REAL MUM AND DA! punk crap, that particularly idiotic 90s kids thought of as cool and you get dmc. Doesn't help that their idea of punk is something that can be bought at JC Penney as a pre-made ensemble of pre-worn jeans and band-shirts of bands they never heard of.

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well... thanks to people who insult their core audience and those that reward this attitude by throwing money at them. Granted, in this case (like a couple others) it didn't work out and it's just a matter of time until we have finally overcome this utterly despicable period, but I agree, until then times are not as good as they could be.

People like this Tameem motherfucker think of themselves as the best thing since sliced bread, these people think they are something like rockstars and that their products are beyond questioning. You can tell that they feel like they are doing us a favor by making a game or movie, like we have to go down on our knees and honor their names thrice a day for bestowing upon us these amazing products.

Before dmc, Team Ninja made some other game about a grumbling, growly douche of a wannabe badass and some Japanese game dev remarked at how he played the game and was taken aback how the producer's idea of making him badass was pretty much the mc just being a sadistic sociopath. Add to that this atrocious emo FUCK DA POLICE YOUR NOT ME REAL MUM AND DA! crap, that particularly idiotic 90s kids thought of as cool and you get dmc.
I'll probably always be bitter about all the time things were not as good as they could have been thanks to these assholes, although I sincerely hope things do do get better soon and maybe then I should just let it go.

But still, it stings, fuck these hipster assholes.

I've actually never played a Ninja Theory game, are you referring to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West?

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
As someone who doesn't care about this franchise, I like this game.
Looks good, plays good, very creative visuals and level design, varied and interesting enemies, memorable boss fights (the one where you fight a demonic Bill O'Reilly is awesome).
Hate to tell you this but the story in these games was always stupid and most people are mad because they changed it into a different kind of stupid in this installment, this IP was never about the story but about the visuals and combat and, at least to me, both are good.

Last edited:

Slimy Time

Long and lanky.
kiwifarms.net

Before dmc, Team Ninja made some other game about a grumbling, growly douche of a wannabe badass and some Japanese game dev remarked at how he played the game and was taken aback how the producer's idea of making him badass was pretty much the mc just being a sadistic sociopath. Add to that this atrocious emo FUCK DA POLICE YOUR NOT ME REAL MUM AND DA! punk crap, that particularly idiotic 90s kids thought of as cool and you get dmc. Doesn't help that their idea of punk is something that can be bought at JC Penney as a pre-made ensemble of pre-worn jeans and band-shirts of bands they never heard of.
I'll probably always be bitter about all the time things were not as good as they could have been thanks to these assholes, although I sincerely hope things do do get better soon and maybe thenI should just let it go.

What I think is amazing is in spite of the open disrespect given to the core franchise by this motherfucker, the developers of DMC5 still decided to throw in some references and ideas from DmC: Devil May Cry into the game. Music increasing in volume as the combo meter goes up? That was from DmC. Vergil having the doppleganger ability and pulling it out in his fight? DmC. Dante's DLC costume?
Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 11.24.34.png
Look at that and tell me that's not a reference to DmC Dante. His hair roots even show white, meaning he dyed his hair for this costume. You can even argue they took aspects of DmC Dante and applied it to Nero, with his new haircut and willingness to curse and use "fuck" in a series that never had that before as a slight nod to it.
Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 11.28.31.pngScreenshot 2020-12-13 at 11.28.43.png
They treated a game that openly disrespected the source material with as much class as you could. If you liked that game, they put some nods in there for you.

RomanesEuntDomus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks good, plays good, very creative visuals and level design, varied and interesting enemies, memorable boss fights (the one where you fight a demonic Bill O'Reilly is awesome).
Hate to tell you this but the story in these games was always stupid and most people are made because they changed it into a different kind of stupid in this installment, this IP was never about the story but about the visuals and combat and, at least to me, both are good.
I never played a DMC, never played this dmc and never intend to. But I was disgusted with how the old fans were treated by Ninja Theory and Tameem. Dude was so full of himself and expected all the old fans to buy his product, after all, he was nice enough to make it for them and he's the designer god damnit, so he knows what is good, even if these plebs don't understand it.

Nah. That was fucked up and I could all too well imagine being on the receiving end one day - and lo and behold... Ghostbustettes 2016, Star Wars and so on happened... now Star Trek is getting a barbed wire enema to the same tune and Pratchett's works are next in line.

If you played the game and enjoyed it, though, hey, at least someone who had a positive experience with it, you know.

I'll probably always be bitter about all the time things were not as good as they could have been thanks to these assholes, although I sincerely hope things do do get better soon and maybe then I should just let it go.

I've actually never played a Ninja Theory game, are you referring to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West?

Yeah, the worst thing about such botched shitjobs: It takes forever for someone to come along and try to fix it with a new attempt. I really hope no one will make a LOTR in the next 5 to 10 years, if only cause it'll be a horrendeously wokeified abomination and it would take another 2 or 3 decades after that until someone else tries anew. I'd rather have a new LOTR movie or series 10+ years from now, more closely following the books, even if I have to wait some more. It took more than half a century for someone to make another DMC that followed the original formula.
Similarly with GoT, it deviated significantly from the books by season 4, by season 8, they had ruined everything they ever achieved. Even if the books ever come out, it'll take forever for someone to make a new show with this material and do it justice.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
I never played a DMC, never played this dmc and never intend to. But I was disgusted with how the old fans were treated by Ninja Theory and Tameem. Dude was so full of himself and expected all the old fans to buy his product, after all, he was nice enough to make it for them and he's the designer god damnit, so he knows what is good, even if these plebs don't understand it.

Nah. That was fucked up and I could all too well imagine being on the receiving end one day - and lo and behold... Ghostbustettes 2016, Star Wars and so on happened... now Star Trek is getting a barbed wire enema to the same tune and Pratchett's works are next in line.
Sure, that's not nice but it has nothing to do with the game, it's just some internet drama.
We need to be able to judge the game on it's own merits.
Ghostbusters 2016 fails even as it's own thing - it's ugly, boring and unfunny.
I don't think DMC fails as a game, i think that people are too attached to the IP and hate major changes + the dev insulted them.
It's fine if they don't feel like supporting the company after that but again, that's not really the fault of the game itself.

RomanesEuntDomus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sure, that's not nice but it has nothing to do with the game, it's just some internet drama.
We need to be able to judge the game on it's own merits.
Ghostbusters 2016 fails even as it's own thing - it's ugly, boring and unfunny.
I don't think DMC fails as a game, i think that people are too attached to the IP and hate major changes + the dev insulted them.
It's fine if they don't feel like supporting the company after that but again, that's not really the fault of the game itself.
Well, people on /v/ back in the day said they disliked the combat system for being dumbed down, but that's their tastes and some people said that the combat was the only saving grace of the game, so there's that.

Personally, I don't like buying games from a company that takes an established, popular game series with great cult following, changes everything about it and then bitches at fans of the original for criticising all this. The game producers are just coattail riding tag-alongs and instead of being humble, they shit on those that made the IP successful in the first place - the very reason why this Tameem dickwad picked up dmc was cause the title was well known in the first place! If they want to make something that is completely different than the established IP, they can do the unthinkable and -y'know- release it as its own thing. But they want to take advantage of the name, so they make something different and insult anyone who doesn't instantly fellate them for "improving" the original.

You might have no investment in the original IP, neither do I, but I doubt that it's particularly hard for you to imagine some franchise that you cherish, even if it's something as ridiculous and goofy as DMC, but someone changing it and then insulting you for not liking it... well. You know where I'm going with this.
To me, whether I like the franchise or not is of no consequence, what I see is an utterly toxic way of treating fans and the way I see it, everyone shittalking dmc back in the day has been vindicated by pretty much every major cinema IP being ruined by woketards and creatively bankrupt assholes. This toxicity alone is more than enough reason for me to never buy from the likes of Ninja Theory ever again for the simple reason that I do not want to be the one getting his beloved shit being ruined by people like Tameem.

Last edited:

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
What I think is amazing is in spite of the open disrespect given to the core franchise by this motherfucker, the developers of DMC5 still decided to throw in some references and ideas from DmC: Devil May Cry into the game. Music increasing in volume as the combo meter goes up? That was from DmC. Vergil having the doppleganger ability and pulling it out in his fight? DmC. Dante's DLC costume?
View attachment 1785781
Look at that and tell me that's not a reference to DmC Dante. His hair roots even show white, meaning he dyed his hair for this costume. You can even argue they took aspects of DmC Dante and applied it to Nero, with his new haircut and willingness to curse and use "fuck" in a series that never had that before as a slight nod to it.
View attachment 1785783View attachment 1785784
They treated a game that openly disrespected the source material with as much class as you could. If you liked that game, they put some nods in there for you.
DmC had some good ideas, and that they integrated it into the main games shows that if they made it more in line with the old ones it would have been recieved better. The re-release even made the combat more in line and removed some of the more cringy stuff.

Also, not going to lie, when they first showed nero i was thinking that it was Donte in the beginning. Something tells me they made it like that as a fake out.
Nero cursed in DMC4, but only during battles. Nero's fuck you has far more impact in DMC5 though, he trusts his middle finger in the air and activates his devil trigger with it instead of having a shouting match against a demon.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DmC had some good ideas, and that they integrated it into the main games shows that if they made it more in line with the old ones it would have been recieved better. The re-release even made the combat more in line and removed some of the more cringy stuff.

Also, not going to lie, when they first showed nero i was thinking that it was Donte in the beginning. Something tells me they made it like that as a fake out.
Nero cursed in DMC4, but only during battles. Nero's fuck you has far more impact in DMC5 though, he trusts his middle finger in the air and activates his devil trigger with it instead of having a shouting match against a demon.
Shouting it at your deadbeat dad who almost destroyed the world and is more concerned with fighting your uncle than even talking to you feels a lot more earned than saying it during a pissing match with some Futurama Slum Queen ripoff you just met to try and seem “cool”.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Hates rehab so damn much
kiwifarms.net
Hate to tell you this but the story in these games was always stupid and most people are mad because they changed it into a different kind of stupid in this installment, this IP was never about the story but about the visuals and combat and, at least to me, both are good.
DmC was the first DMC game I ever played, so I wager my opinion of it is a bit higher than those here. I agree it's got good visuals and the combat can be very fun when you get into a rhythm. My opinion of it lessened when I started playing the older games, but I don't outright hate it, I just don't think it achieves the same highs I get when I play DMC3, and that's what ultimately makes it a lesser DMC in my eyes. I can still have quite a bit of fun with it depending on my mood, because it still does resemble DMC's combat at the end of the day and DMC's combat is fun as hell.

As for story, yeah this series has never had good stories or characters, but DmC's big issue is that it takes its plot and characters way too seriously while the original series never did. For me, it's easier to enjoy a cheesy story that doesn't take itself too seriously versus one that tries to tell a message that falls flat on its face.

Uncle Warren

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1785781
View attachment 1785783View attachment 1785784
If you want to be more accurate, they took the ideas from DmC and made it better.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember hearing that one of the goals when creating Dante was making a character cool without having him smoke/drink, curse, or have sex.

Donte manages to do all three in the intro to his game. Fedora Virgil and the way it was taking its “stick to the MAN” narrative so seriously majorly soured it for people. It’d be like rebooting Mario as The Last of Us.

quickthrowaway

kiwifarms.net
If you want to be more accurate, they took the ideas from DmC and made it better.
Hideaki Itsuno himself actually went to Cambridge to help with the game. He had to teach them basic stuff like if you design an enemy character with a blade head and doesn't use the blade head, that's stupid. So as far as I'm concerned until it's proven those ideas were solely from Ninja Theory themselves, I'm gonna assume it's all Itsuno's influence.

Side note: I'm surprised no one has brought up what DmC's director looks like again.

1607868063317.png

Caddchef

Grade - F Destruction
kiwifarms.net
Before dmc, Team Ninja made some other game about a grumbling, growly douche of a wannabe badass and some Japanese game dev remarked at how he played the game and was taken aback how the producer's idea of making him badass was pretty much the mc just being a sadistic sociopath.
Mate, that wasn't "some Japanese dev", that was Danny Boyle, the director of Sunshine and 28 Days later.

Block Me

kiwifarms.net
No, journos, DmC is not going to be vindicated by history. It's an okay-at-best game that also happens to be a case study in how not to handle a long running and beloved video game franchise. Even when it was rereleased with some of the more egregious issues fixed it was completely overshadowed by the rerelease of DMC4. Fans hate DmC, normies don't give a shit about it. Suck it up and move on already. Capcom certainly has.

BlazikenLover

GNU + Linux fatman
kiwifarms.net
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: This was meant to be a franchise reboot, but a combination of poor fan reception and Capcom having to ferry over Devil May Cry staff to Ninja Theory just to get it finished caused Capcom to leave the series dormant until last year's DMC5. This is probably the first time I've heard of a franchise trying to reboot where the reboot was considered enough of a failure to go back to the original series.
They released DMC 4 Special Edition in 2015, already showing they intended to go back to the original series.